rllmuk
Moz

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - "One of the greatest PC RPGs of all time" now coming to consoles

Yeah I'm using sleep/knockdown/atrophy/stun when they're vulnerable

Yeah that fight Stragoes

'm pretty sure I can win it - but I can't win it AND keep the prisoners alive. I might be making it hard for myself

I've done some reading and there's actually 2 more things I can do. You can get the thing for Ryker without starting a boss fight, so that's XP I can win. You also don't need to kill the harbinger if you just help Almaria escape...so something else to try

3 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Yeah that fight

Hide contents

I'm pretty sure I can win it - but I can't win it AND keep the prisoners alive. I might be making it hard for myself

Hide contents

I've done some reading and there's actually 2 more things I can do. You can get the thing for Ryker without starting a boss fight, so that's XP I can win. You also don't need to kill the harbinger if you just help Almaria escape...so something else to try

Spoiler

Its a hard one! I did it. I seem to remember teleporting a lot of guys as far away as I could , watch the guy that casts shackles on the prisoners if you can incapacitate him that helps . Heal them as much as you can.

Try and level up too as you seem to be doing.

Just now, Strategos said:

Hide contents

Its a hard one! I did it. I seem to remember teleporting a lot of guys as far away as I could , watch the guy that casts shackles on the prisoners if you can incapacitate him that helps . Heal them as much as you can.

Try and level up too as you seem to be doing.

I've tried TPing him (with far out man) as far as I can - he still casts Mass Shackle. I don't know if you can break that..

I got pretty close to doing it once, but then a dog decide to murdered everyone.

I might have to managed expectations a bit more. I'm trying to win the fight, kill the guy that flees AND save the hostages. I might need to choose battles

Popular online strategy seems to be to lock him in conversation and TP him away while you kill the others. Feels cheap/cheesy

I might see if there's some way to pick off the magisters outside - less to focus on would make it easier. I'm being too "good" and only engaging Magisters when they attack me...maybe I should be a little more...proactive

I think I need to put a load more point in Wits...but even my Rogue with 20 in there doesn't seem to go very early in the fight

1 minute ago, Hexx said:

I think I need to put a load more point in Wits...but even my Rogue with 20 in there doesn't seem to go very early in the fight

I think it starts with a convo have you tried using your other characters to weight the fight in your favour before starting the fight ? 

9 minutes ago, Strategos said:

I think it starts with a convo have you tried using your other characters to weight the fight in your favour before starting the fight ? 

Nah that seemed cheap/cheesy - but I really think I should. Taking any of these fights "straight on" is not going well

Am I being dense or on PS4 can you not change to other maps. e.g. if I'm in the lower deck of the LV, the map just shows it. So if I want to waypoint somewhere you have to go back up 2 flights. (I've been leaving teleport pyramids about the place)

1 minute ago, Hexx said:

Nah that seemed cheap/cheesy - but I really think I should. Taking any of these fights "straight on" is not going well

There are some fights that took me upwards of ten tries to beat, and would certainly not have been doable without this, you have to use every mechanism at your disposal! 

10 minutes ago, Strategos said:

There are some fights that took me upwards of ten tries to beat, and would certainly not have been doable without this, you have to use every mechanism at your disposal! 

Yeah - I think respecing my characters has made them better, but a bit weaker atm. (Should have kept all that gear). They make much better use of mechanics though. Just have to keep checking shops (and hoping for money...from somewhere). J

Going Wand/Shield rather than Wand/Wand or Staff has been a god send though

Spending basically an hour running round shops shops and rehearing made a big difference! All cleared!

On the Nameless Isle now 

how many zones are left ?

Is it ok to sell older weapons, the ones that are named after some of the characters you have fought? Or looted. I am short on money and have a ton of old weapons and armour, but I have been loathe to sell them, just in case.

I haven't ever played an RPG like this before, and as much as I'm enjoying it, the camera angle is doing my nut in. I'm always trying to swing it that little bit lower and behind, to see what I'm running towards. It's so frustrating :/ 

I kept anything unique, but there doesn't seem to be any reason to

A few really hard encounters in Arx - but then it is (I think) the 'endgame'

It's getting annoying that combat is always more rewarding XP. Talked a character down from a fight (because RPing I didn't think she should be killed) Get nothing. Looked it up, I fought here I'd get 15% of a level of XP. Boo hiss.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Hexx said:

I kept anything unique, but there doesn't seem to be any reason to

A few really hard encounters in Arx - but then it is (I think) the 'endgame'

It's getting annoying that combat is always more rewarding XP. Talked a character down from a fight (because RPing I didn't think she should be killed) Get nothing. Looked it up, I fought here I'd get 15% of a level of XP. Boo hiss.

This is my biggest gripe with this game (and its predecessor) - too grindy and not enough opportunities to level outside of combat. I prefer to sneak around or talk my way out of situations, so ended up playing Explorer/easy mode.  The downside to this is when I do go into combat, it's often too easy and loses the need for tactical thinking compared to the standard difficulty - for my playstyle there needed to be a difficulty option inbetween, or just more ways to gain xp

I expect it's because it's (pretty) easy to get high Persuasion/Sneak stats would be trivalise those encounters compared to fighting (especially with easy infinite respecs available)

Coming to the end (Doctor, Consulate and Tomb quests to do).

Powered up with new armor and pretty much wrecking stuff (still have to be careful. One fight in a vault last a few turns till I was dead...2nd go better set up and I annihilated them....)

I've got a Ice Focused Mage who's just silly. So much control. In the 2nd go above 3 characters (including "the boss") were locked down for 75% of the fight

On 04/02/2019 at 05:11, SteveH said:

The camera angle is doing my nut in. I'm always trying to swing it that little bit lower and behind, to see what I'm running towards. It's so frustrating :/ 

I hope that this is why I struggled to get in to this first time. I kept feeling like an old man with bad eyesight, driving his car with his nose pressed against the windscreen, desperately trying to get a better view of the road. I found it really hard to differentiate what stuff was and spent more time manoeuvring the camera and fruitlessly trying to zoom in that I did doing anything else.

I'm used to plenty of top down games of this style, including many visually and control similar games but this one really made me struggle with visual clarity.

And done. That last fight was chuffin appealing.

You have to start gathered up - no chance to position, and Lucian goes first (and maybe some others. I could boost wits up ahead of others, but not him)

Then you get dragged to a 2nd phase...repositioning you all together again, the boss mob heals to full and then 4 more high level bosses spawn and all get a turn...

And my Anthenama did fuck all to him

Still did it and the scarifice ending. That was a bit of a cop out "Oh Malady fixed everyone somehow!"

I've played this for about two hours on PS4 but I'm not convinced so far. It's seriously overwhelming, both in terms of its systems and number of useless objects to interact with onscreen, and has very obviously been designed with a mouse and keyboard in mind. The combat feels very static as well. 

I really want to like it and I've read only good things, but I've not really played this type of game before, and I don't have either PS+ or friends with the game who I can play with, so I'll be playing entirely solo. I've gone for the female jester character, just for something a bit different.

Am I likely to fall in love with it anytime soon?

31 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I've played this for about two hours on PS4 but I'm not convinced so far. It's seriously overwhelming, both in terms of its systems and number of useless objects to interact with onscreen, and has very obviously been designed with a mouse and keyboard in mind. The combat feels very static as well. 

I really want to like it and I've read only good things, but I've not really played this type of game before, and I don't have either PS+ or friends with the game who I can play with, so I'll be playing entirely solo. I've gone for the female jester character, just for something a bit different.

Am I likely to fall in love with it anytime soon?

I keep meaning to go back but my first 2 attempts were largely like yours and I played on PC. It really isn't that old a game but feels really old in a bad way. It is just massively overwhelming and complex, visually, interface, inventory etc. and it really doesn't do a good enough job of working the player through it.

I gave this the benefit of the doubt and put another two hours in, but have decided that it just isn't for me. The scenery looks nice and the writing and voice-acting is good, and I can certainly see the potential, but the combat and UI I'm general just feels very messy and clunky, even with the changes the developers have made for the console versions.

If the game bothered to introduce you to skills and its other systems in a more gradual way then I could see myself sticking with it for longer, but as it chucks half a dozen different characters at you in the first two hours, each with about six or seven different skills, not to mention personality traits and talents, and then just expects you to figure it out for yourself, I can't really be arsed. I'm a big fan of player discovery through experimentation in games, but this just feels very off-putting. Even something like Monster Hunter, which is infamously obscure for new players, seems a lot more accessible than this does. A shame, as I was convinced I was going to love it :(

I'll be putting up my copy in the trading folder for anyone who wants to give it a shot. Your mileage may vary!

• Empathy 1

I bought this and stuck it in the PS4 last night. 

Immediately not sure what to do. 

I need help or I fear it's not going to get the benefit of the doubt that I should probably give it before sending it back to Amazon. 

I'm a complete noob to this kind of RPG. I have played most of the souls games. 

I've played monster Hunter.

I've not played anything like this for more than a few minutes. 

I'm currently in a D&D game that plays once a month and is VERY casual. 

So I want to give this a shot. 

Any pointers for new players?

Who should I choose? What do I need to think about in the first hour or so?

When should it 'get going'?

I've played like ten minutes and just felt so alien I turned it off as I thought I'd send up aimlessly wandering and doing something wrong or not doing something important I was supposed to. 

1 hour ago, Horribleman said:

I bought this and stuck it in the PS4 last night. 

Immediately not sure what to do. 

I need help or I fear it's not going to get the benefit of the doubt that I should probably give it before sending it back to Amazon. 

I'm a complete noob to this kind of RPG. I have played most of the souls games. 

I've played monster Hunter.

I've not played anything like this for more than a few minutes. 

I'm currently in a D&D game that plays once a month and is VERY casual. 

So I want to give this a shot. 

Any pointers for new players?

Who should I choose? What do I need to think about in the first hour or so?

When should it 'get going'?

I've played like ten minutes and just felt so alien I turned it off as I thought I'd send up aimlessly wandering and doing something wrong or not doing something important I was supposed to. 

This is pretty much exactly how I felt playing it. If you're unfamiliar to the series or genre then you need to spend some time reading Wikis before you can play it properly, because the game itself does a piss poor job of telling you.

I traded mine back in.

• Upvote 1

Make a character, talk to everyone in the opening zone and go from there!

Don't worry about "doing things wrong" or whatever. Just get immersed!

This is where I would say better to start with the first game but if you are here, take it real slow.  The first area, the ship, is a tutorial but when you are through that be prepared for a much larger area with little or no hand holding (although the overall objective is clear).  The tutorial shows how pretty much all objects may be manipulated.  Watch out for surfaces like oil and water which may be impacted by elemental affects and use the environment to good effect (height, bottlnecks etc).  Talk to everyone and make liberal use of quick save. Help yourself to a bedroll or two for healing.

6 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

This is where I would say better to start with the first game but if you are here, take it real slow.  The first area, the ship, is a tutorial but when you are through that be prepared for a much larger area with little or no hand holding (although the overall objective is clear).  The tutorial shows how pretty much all objects may be manipulated.  Watch out for surfaces like oil and water which may be impacted by elemental affects and use the environment to good effect (height, bottlnecks etc).  Talk to everyone and make liberal use of quick save. Help yourself to a bedroll or two for healing.

I can send this back to Amazon and get the first game. 

Is Pillars of Eternity any good instead? I can see me playing more if it's handheld and I can get it on Switch.

Pillars is certainly meant to be good. I've only played a little of it on the Switch but it works well on it so far. I believe an Original Sin 2 port is on the way at some point too, so you could always try Pillars now and get OS2 later down the line, if you'd rather have it on a handheld.

Pillars and Original Sin are a bit different though, other than both being CRPGs. Pillars uses a real time with pause combat system, so you can pause battles at any point to issue orders, but the action plays out in real time. OS has a completely turn based combat system that focuses more on clever interactions with the environment. Also OS1 seemed quite light hearted and whimsical from what I played, while Pillars takes itself more seriously.

56 minutes ago, Horribleman said:

I can send this back to Amazon and get the first game. 

Is Pillars of Eternity any good instead? I can see me playing more if it's handheld and I can get it on Switch.

Leave Pillars, it’s pretty boring with a shitty story and bad writing. Both Orginal Sins are some of the best rpgs ever made. Go for them in any way you can. 

• Upvote 2

I think Pillars 2 is a better game than OS2 but I think it depends on what you're looking for. If you liked any of the old isometric RPGs Pillars 2 is an easy recommend where as OS2 is a little bit different.