rllmuk
Moz

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - "One of the greatest PC RPGs of all time" now coming to consoles

Is anyone buying this digitally on console? Saw on the PSN store today if you pre-order you can play the entirety of Act 1 immediately. Whether Act 1 means a tutorial area or the first third of the game, I don't know, but it claims it's 20 hours worth of content.

Hmm, just watched the PS4 gameplay trailer. "You're on a quest to become the Divine in a land called Rivelon."

Hmm, yeah. I do believe I've played this game. Several times in fact. Over the last 30 years. 

When did original ideas disappear? 

27 minutes ago, Thor said:

Hmm, just watched the PS4 gameplay trailer. "You're on a quest to become the Divine in a land called Rivelon."

Hmm, yeah. I do believe I've played this game. Several times in fact. Over the last 30 years. 

When did original ideas disappear? 

Right? Could have been way more original with a simple edit: “You’re on a quest to become Devine wearing Revlon.”

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, hughes said:

Is anyone buying this digitally on console? Saw on the PSN store today if you pre-order you can play the entirety of Act 1 immediately. Whether Act 1 means a tutorial area or the first third of the game, I don't know, but it claims it's 20 hours worth of content.

I started playing it but there's been a few bugs and glitches in the first 30 minutes. I then noticed that it actually lists it as a Beta. From what I saw it did look great so I'm leaving it now until the full release when it's hopefully patched too.

I played the time allowed in the free demo and then decided to wait for the final version, going digital on the basis of replay-ability.

No one else getting stuck into this on console?  

I'm rolling with

Sebille as a backstabby Rogue -> ??,

Lohse as good with water + static -> healer,

Red Prince as tank -> pyro and

Ifan as hunter -> polymorph, so nothing particularly odd or exciting for now at least (I think they were the defaults for companions), and have resisted the inevitable pangs of regret you start to get a few hours in - if only I had chosen.....

Decided to totally roll with all the punches this time around, so no black cat for me in later adventures :(. I'm choosing Origin conversation choices wherever possible, which with Sebille are generally either threatening or pertaining to the elven habit of munching on dead flesh and which have probably closed down likely side quests (I'm usually such a goody goody), and an unfortunate attempt at pickpocketing led to calamity for my fellow elves (but a very handy weapon for the Prince).  Quite proud to have not given up the lizard to the camp boss though, and earned "hero" status at that which isn't really a true reflection.  Various neutrals who were foolish enough to assist in the big early battles are a goner too, idiots!!  I only restart if I failed to get the troops decently organised positionally, or if the fight is just too much for the time being and is marked on the map for future reference.  That feeling of being overwhelmed initially, only to come back and batter them later is so good :wub:  

Everything people have said about losing track of time with this is also so true.  It takes a wee while to click again and then you just can't stop trying to see what is round the next corner of the map.

It's definitely worth mixing your skills a bit. One of my favourites was for my rogue. You could use rupture tendons to cause damage for every step travelled and combine it with the polymorph skill to turn them into a chicken and watch the damage rack up. Similarly, the wings polymorph skill works well to reposition an archer and the necromancy passive heals sync well with a tank. Once you get to the end of act 1 you can freely respec anyway so don't sweat it too much. Also, steal everything. 

Enjoy, it's a fantastic game. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Is the Console version(s) of this just as good as the PC one? No compromise? 

Oh yes indeed.  No problems with control schemes or loading times either.  The only slightly fiddly thing is placing the cursor on the correct target in battle with all the mess, but the coloured circles help there.  

1 minute ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

Oh yes indeed.  No problems with control schemes or loading times either.  The only slightly fiddly thing is placing the cursor on the correct target in battle with all the mess, but the coloured circles help there.  

Man! This was the one big game from last year that wasn't really available to me because PC. 

There's so many good games out! So many! 

This is such a good game. Pad controls are excellent too, at least according to a couple of mates who are playing definitive edition on PC with a pad. 

• Upvote 1

This is totally addictive and, with the fairly leisurely battles, very time consuming, but in a good way :wub:  Few games do exploration this well (maybe Elex of recent Euros).

I didn't leave very many alive at all on Fort Joy before we made our merry way over to Driftwood - just one or two traders I didn't have the heart to hack down. I think there were bits and pieces left undone since I'm playing completely blind this time around (the purpose of the maze for example, and the whole pigs thing (possibly being related)).  

The respec mirror is a lovely touch since you can change the physical appearance of your companions as well as tidy up any inconsistent stats, although most likely you have got familiar with your team to make many wholesale changes.  I'm sketching out a second team on paper - thinking maybe Fane with high Int & Con as a tank summoner sitting in a pile of vomit surrounded by totems - but the trail blazers are now:

Sebille - backstabbing rogue + thief as before, but an up and coming Summoner with all the distractions that role provides in the form of totems and summons (her dps isn't that great, which probably helps her not being targeted too much)

Ifan - still a hunter with the highest dps, and our man in charge of trading.  His effectiveness depends on getting him up high, but he can be very vulnerable. Giving him some L2 polymorph skills might help a little, we'll see.

Lohse - developing a nice side-line in necromancy to add even more fun characters to the battlefield in the form of bloated corpses, heals when in blood etc

Red Prince - shields up! taunt!, fortify!, has some ranged pyro and geo skills.  He spent ages taking the largest paintings of Alexander down one at time from the Fort and taking them out to the trader - what a guy!

I keep getting warned about one of the above characters, so we will have to see how things go with them.  As an elf, I should hate Ifan but I'm also quite attracted to him and have lots of outlaw chit chat in common.

We tend to do a lot of fighting since no-one has very many points in persuasion, and because it's fun.

Possibly the best game of its type since Baldur's Gate 2 (and arguably two games in one at that given the MP experience is rather different).

Edited by Cosmic_Guru
  • Upvote 3

God yes, it's one of the finest RPGs ever made.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's better than Baldur's Gate 2 actually.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Is this a good game to play after Dark Souls? Looking for something new to play and this caught my eye. Thanks for any pointers.

It s a must play at any-time. All round great game.

• Upvote 1

It's amazing, but do consider playing the first one, well, first (assuming you haven't already). It's only a bit less brilliant but would be harder to play after the second one with the improvements they've made.

4 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Is this a good game to play after Dark Souls? Looking for something new to play and this caught my eye. Thanks for any pointers.

As above, really - it's probably the best RPG I've ever played.

I've dipped into games like Baldur's gate a few times, loving the premise, but never sticking with it.  I'm 14 hours into this now and absolutely mesmerised... a little tabletop fantasy universe bought to life, joyously.  The writing and humour is superb and the versatility of your options is astounding; battles are great fun.  

I think this is going to rival Skyrim for my favourite RPG. :)  Plus there seem to some great games like this on console now!  (Pillars of Eternity 1&2, etc...).

5 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Just to give you a different opinion, I hated it. Infuriatingly difficult, a bit confusing as to how to progress (I had to use a guide just to find things to do to get enough xp to push on), and just annoying to play. And the world is just weird in a way I didn't get on with. I am certain it's a good 'one of those' but I now realise having tried a few of them that I can't stand this type of old school-inspired rpg. 

The best thing about D:OS2 is just the sheer scope for experimentation. And the auto-bacon.

Just left Fort Joy (assume that's the end of Act 1 - how many acts?)

Like it, but wish I felt a bit more powerful - every fight can make or break you if you flub it. (Res scrolls so expensive)

Running this party - need a bit of tweaking and I think some of them need to branch out a bit more

Fane - Gyo, Pyro, TK and flies about

Seb - Back stabbing Rogue. She can heal phyiscal damage like no ones business. Need to branch out into something else

Lohse -  Heals, Rain, Frost, Lightening, TK and Summon (even the basic one makes a big difference due to turn/action economy

Red Prince - Tank and Smash (with Geo to help kill people's armor up)

The boss battle at the end of act 1 was tough going - especially how it changes half way through. Sneakily positioned everyone but RP on the side high grounds (Seb right behind someone though) and the wrecked the joint :D

So this is stupendously difficult right?

I've got to the later stages of Reaper's Coast (Act 2) - and every remaining quest line ends to massively difficult fights.

I've rebuilt my characters from scratch to follow some online builds -but the reliance on gear for most of your power/stats makes that hard if you've not kept a library. There's also no way to go grind/level up

I'd done ok so far (normally close things - there's no power fantasy here) but this is just punishing. 

What difficulty are you playing on? A big part of the fights is using the environment to your advantage and abusing elements. Success sometimes come down to careful positioning. Also, for easy mode spec everyone into summoning and get a powered up Incarnate. And supercharge exploding corpses. Endless fun.

6 minutes ago, Benny said:

What difficulty are you playing on? A big part of the fights is using the environment to your advantage and abusing elements. Success sometimes come down to careful positioning. Also, for easy mode spec everyone into summoning and get a powered up Incarnate. And supercharge exploding corpses. Endless fun.

Normal?

I've got a 2 hander, rogue, elementalist and ice/summoner. Level 14 - everything is higher level than me

I've basically got 5 outstanding things in Reapers coast

Harbinger of Doom - the decay aura wrecks me. I've tried going from the ledge above and it just TPs and wrecks me turn 1 (so many actions it gets)

Black Ring around Tree in blood isle. These just seem to be tanks. High physical and magical armor. 

Eternals in the Blackpit - again just hurts me.

Magisters in the blackpits - this I could probably win, but I'm trying to save the hostages. Which seems pretty much impossible

Red Prince gets his end away - again, just high armor and HP enemies that hit me hard.

Other than the above advice, all I can say is with the character stats make sure you've specced them so that it all goes into the one stat that goes with the class. Balanced stats in different things don't really work so well in this game later on, so for example a summoner wants the ability points all going into summoning up to the soft cap, and not a variety of spell types. Other perks like the ones that give you extra actions or HP when killing enemies help.

Just now, Benny said:

Other than the above advice, all I can say is with the character stats make sure you've specced them so that it all goes into the one stat that goes with the class. Balanced stats in different things don't really work so well in this game later on, so for example a summoner wants the ability points all going into summoning up to the soft cap, and not a variety of spell types. Other perks like the ones that give you extra actions or HP when killing enemies help.

Yeah I followed builds as I was definitely spreading too thin attributes (but then too focused "abilities". Multi classing in this is far stronger than I realised. So before I was entirely a scoundrel rogue, now she's got some other tricks (that still benefit from her stats)

I'll keep at it some good/lucky choices might help.

@Hexx

Spoiler

Magisters in the blackpits  - I don't want to spoiler this is the fight in a building on the docks? 

The fights in this are tough. Its important to plan for them. If you are being afflicted by something specific get some items or potions etc to counter it and come back.  You can sometimes sneak individuals into position before it all kicks off. Also if the battle starts with a conversation you can switch to your other characters and move them into tactical spots before switching back and finishing the convo and starting the battle, this can make a HUGE difference.

Using levitation on the enemies is also really advantageous. 

If you have a particular enemy that gives you trouble move them far away first (if they are melee). Of move a bunch of barrels around them to nuke them as soon as the fight starts.