rllmuk
Moz

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - "One of the greatest PC RPGs of all time" now coming to consoles

A couple of daft wee beginner questions if someone could humour me - just got to Fort Joy a couple of hours in. 

I can't decide if enabling the Larian Modifications to increase my AP, give me Pet Pal and add more crafting options etc is cheating for want of a better word or intended to smooth over/enhance the experience. Is it recommended?

I think I've sussed most of the UI except for the thin yellow meter below the hotbar. What's that showing me?

The Larian mods are basically player created PC mods that the developers thought were great ideas and patched into the game. They're all worth activating and none feel like cheating. The Pet Pal is a must! All of the animals have hilarious dialogue. 

I'm not sure I've noticed that yellow bar. Lol. I'll have a looksee after my lunch. 

I started a new build yesterday despite being 30 hours deep in my previous save. Its amazing how much I've learnt by just playing. Love this game so much!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, skittles said:

Me and the girl I am seeing downloaded this on our switches last night and played together for a good 5 hours online in the same room. It was SO much fun. 

Took me a long time to figure out what I was doing and the menus etc but I think it has started to click now. Are there any tips or guides for me to read up on? She's so well versed and I feel like a noon.

I'm playing as the lizard and i'm not sure if I am leveling up the correct stats for my abilities. Can I respec them? 

We hit level 3 yesterday in Fort Joy and had an epic battle with 3 frogs we found in a cave through a barricade.

You can enable a mod to allow respec'ing in one of the later parts of Fort Joy (in the arena). 

What stats you improve for the Lizard will depend what class you chose.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Curtis said:

The Larian mods are basically player created PC mods that the developers thought were great ideas and patched into the game. They're all worth activating and none feel like cheating. The Pet Pal is a must! All of the animals have hilarious dialogue. 

I'm not sure I've noticed that yellow bar. Lol. I'll have a looksee after my lunch. 

I started a new build yesterday despite being 30 hours deep in my previous save. Its amazing how much I've learnt by just playing. Love this game so much!

Sweet, I'll go for it. I think all the warnings about them being irreversible once activated scared me but I had Pet Pal in my brief dalliance with the original game on X1 and thought it was fantastic. The writing in this game in general is streets ahead of any other RPG.

We restarted our builds yesterday as realised we hadn't specced correctly and raced through to almost level four. Lots to explore around Fort Joy. 

I'm playing a dwarf Knight and my second red lizard as a cleric but I haven't quite got used to him yet.

This is a seriously super game to play with someone. 

Played online last night and used discord app (which is great) to chat. Didn't progress much but found some underground cells in Fort Joy and some lava monsters. Got completely owned by both.

My cleric Lizard seems woefully under-powered at the moment. Should i be leveling up intelligence mostly?

Yes, for Mages/Wizards etc you should always max Intelligence first. Only putting points into Memory when you need more spell slots.

Aren't Clerics mainly for buffing & healing your team mates as opposed to straight-up DPS?

2 hours ago, Curtis said:

Yes, for Mages/Wizards etc you should always max Intelligence first. Only putting points into Memory when you need more spell slots.

Aren't Clerics mainly for buffing & healing your team mates as opposed to straight-up DPS?

Yes correct but his healing and other abilities just doesn't seem very powerful at the moment. Maybe I have used some skill points in the wrong sections..

Bloodsucker (Necromancer)- I think this makes me absorb blood/vitality when I physically attack someone or when I am physically attacked but seems so weak atm (gave me plus +3 last night)

Regen (Hydrosophist) - again seems weak, only regenerating 14+ health

Some fire dragon attack

Decaying Touch (Necromancer) - A curse that causes healing effects to damage the target. In case the opposing team has a solid arsenal of spells or healing concoctions. Haven't been very effective with this yet. I suppose I could cast it and then heal the opponent.

I don't recall right now but can I upgrade Necromancer + Hydrosophist skills? I'm guessing I should do this + intelligence to make them more effective

I'm no expert at builds, but on my Wizard i only added enough ability points (+2) to unlock specific spells/scrolls. Then i pumped Polymorph for the extra attribute points (Intelligence). That could be a n00b mistake, i dunno. :unsure: I do know that Summoning scales off ability points, so always take that to +10.

It's obviously a lot easier on a physical damage build, where you +10 Warfare, then +10 weapon type (one-handed etc) - in that order.

i would highly recommend adding a point to Scoundrel and choosing 'The Pawn' talent. 1 extra AP per turn can be a life-saver. I have this on all of my characters. 

I'm familiar with the first two hours of the Steam version and, boy, the Switch version is very good. Larian has adapted it almost perfectly to the handheld screen. Looking forward to playing this now in a more relaxed atmosphere (handheld vs PC screen).

16 hours ago, alex3d said:

I'm familiar with the first two hours of the Steam version and, boy, the Switch version is very good. Larian has adapted it almost perfectly to the handheld screen. Looking forward to playing this now in a more relaxed atmosphere (handheld vs PC screen).

Well... anyone else experiening the hotbar tutorial window popping up whenever tutorial windows are being shown? Must be a bug.

Still no word on a physical release? I'm not even on twitter but I'm checking Larians one every day at the moment. You would think they would look to get it our before Baldurs gate etc are in the shops.

I've finally had time to explore Fort Joy a bit and oh Lord some of these early fights aren't messing around. I'm new to these games but even so I didn't expect my squad of three to be dismantled so thoroughly by one mad cannibal a couple of levels above me foraging about on the beach. Down from Classic to Story for a wee while I think.

Thinking I might've made a mistake choosing battlemage too. It sounded cool but I'm worried it's a bit too jack of all trades and I'd be better off just leathering cunts with a hammer or something instead. I think I can respec in Fort Joy if I've understood properly.

2 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

I've finally had time to explore Fort Joy a bit and oh Lord some of these early fights aren't messing around. I'm new to these games but even so I didn't expect my squad of three to be dismantled so thoroughly by one mad cannibal a couple of levels above me foraging about on the beach. Down from Classic to Story for a wee while I think.

Thinking I might've made a mistake choosing battlemage too. It sounded cool but I'm worried it's a bit too jack of all trades and I'd be better off just leathering cunts with a hammer or something instead. I think I can respec in Fort Joy if I've understood properly.

Same here which is why I'm playing on "story mode" now too. According to reddit and some other forums, Divinity is a pretty tough game to play and esp. get into.

Thinking of picking this up soon, but I’m shit at tactical/turn-based combat so will likely play in Story mode also. Are there any disadvantages? Does it still feel like a fight? Can you swap difficulties on the fly with no impact on your game?

You can change difficulty mid-fight even! And there's one even lower than Story mode too.

I do want a challenge I can handle but this sort of RPG is all about the exploring for me so I'm not too proud to drop it further if need be.

4 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

You can change difficulty mid-fight even! And there's one even lower than Story mode too.

I do want a challenge I can handle but this sort of RPG is all about the exploring for me so I'm not too proud to drop it further if need be.

Yeah the combat is great but the exploration and story is where this really shines. 

14 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

Story Mode is the easiest setting. I recommend Explorer Mode if you're getting creamed on Classic (which is very tough in Act 1).  

I play it on Classic (which used to be called Normal) because weirdly I enjoy the game more for the combat than the story elements.

It really is the full package. Game of all time material.

I got this in the sale on ps4

i like what Ive played so far but find the camera and workflow of the combat a little troublesome. It’s quite frustrating not being able to zoom in enough and how the conversations sometimes cut off half the person who’s talking.

I really want to look more forward than down , not by much but a enough to not feel slightly trapped.

Text is really hard to read sometimes too.

Any tips in general for getting The most out of this game?

Just get stuck in man. 

Have been playing Co-op exclusively and it's so much fun. There is so much to explore and so many different routes to take. I wish I enhanced thievery early on to up my lock picking skills, as there are lots of interesting doors to unlock. Love exploring in this. 

Pretty much cleared Fort Joy and the next section before getting absolutely leathered in the swamp against a dragon. We found our way to another castle where we got in anothet epic fight with an epic Knight on our side. He seemed to be part of a main quest and had so much hp we were convinced he couldn't die, but he did and I looted his body for some excellent new skills. 

It really is such a great game and has been completely enhanced by playing coop. I'm thinking about this game even when not playing and how to enhance my characters. All I need is about 3000 gold to upgrade all my gear from a new vendor I recently discovered.. 

What a game.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

I really want to look more forward than down , not by much but a enough to not feel slightly trapped.

I felt this about the first one. Just too claustrophobic for my tastes. Felt awkward. Gave it up pretty early on. Not picked up 2 yet.

It strangely has that PC port to console look to it too. Like Tropico 5 for example where the colours seem a little duller and they dont use as many screen effects.

It has a slight sense of the original Dragon Age which I highly approve of. 
The controls like I say can be troublesome. 
In this game I feel it would be relatively simple to get them into check.

having the move cursor come out when you move the stick instead of moving your character is jarring for example.

Also having to confirm an action with an extra X button press and not having the closest enemy auto selected.

Pressing triangle and having to switch to d pad for the action bar. My brain says press triangle and use R1 L1 to select actions...

Needs to be a quicker way to organise the action bar also. but it’ll  all come in time no doubt. I finished red dead 2 after all  :)

I'd suggest taking a good look through the options menu, because it'll solve at least two of the things you mentioned that are bothering you. ;)

Just had a co op session via shareplay with a mate. The way it handles co-op is outstanding. Couldn’t really ask for more. Your mates busy starting a fight with someone while your just messing about in menus. Expertly done.

How does this game handle death?

i had two party members die but nothing to resurrect them. So I left them where they were and the ‘soul’ stays and doesn’t seem to reset. But how do I get them out of my party to add someone new in and then Go back at the later date to go get them?

Go buy some resurrection scrolls from the vendors. 

35hours in and just beaten the first island. Exclusively on co-op, too. This is quickly becoming one of my favourite games. I absolutely obsess over my stats and gear, much to the annoyance of my partner.

Have been rocking a sword in the 20-23 range and just bought a new double hander for 60-63! Over the moon. My characters are looking completely bad ass too. 

Is there a way to up your AP in battle from the basic 4? Also how can one add new memory slots for skills? Have some killer skills for my necromancer but not enough slots now! 

Second island. Way too much going on, felt completely overwealmed last night.