Scorn - shameless Giger rip off now available!

Benny

I tried hard to like this and gave it a fair chance, but once the enemies turn up it becomes an exercise in frustration and with so much else to play I just can’t be arsed with it. The combat, such as it is, is terrible and having monsters spitting acid at you from across the room adds a needlessly annoying element to the puzzling. Taking them on with the shitty biopneumatic holepunch that you’re initially given is a waste of time because you’re almost guaranteed to lose precious health, which is strictly limited by the healing system.

The core premise of getting constantly lost while running up and down endless murky corridors that all look the same, while occasionally flicking the same three types of switches is less than compelling, and as impressive as the aping of Giger’s biomechanical style undoubtedly is, it’s not nearly enough to carry a game with such weak underlying gameplay.

It’s a shame because I was quite looking forward to it, but it’s a bit of a dud unfortunately.

19 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

They did do something like that with a later patch for SOMA.

Indeed! I replayed SOMA relatively recently with that option and it was the better way to play the game, to a point, as you could actually focus on the story more without being worried about getting killed. Maybe some clever clogs will do something similar here, and let you save whenever you like to boot.

Another view of Scorn. I really do think the combat bits were somebody else's idea outside of the original premise of the game. 

Played a bit more last night so it's keeping me hooked. It really does feel like Myst meets Alien though... :)

Aaaaaaaand finished. Ending is really shit. Just happens out of nowhere, really quick cutscene and then kicks you straight back to the title screen. Quality stuff! Lol.

This is not a “puzzle” game. It’s a really, really, reeeeally wafer thin Survival Horror. The combat is not a problem, because  you are supposed to use stealth or avoid enemies most of the time, by either holding back from them, running past them or running away from them. It actually works pretty well, same as most survival horror games. Until the final boss, I’d only had to fight maybe 3-4 enemies the entire game and even then mostly out of choice. They all went down in a few shots no problem.

The game is actually very linear, there’s not much exploration involved at all, you’re essentially just walking down one long corridor. You can’t get lost or mess up, despite everything looking identical. Also, the “puzzles” aren’t really puzzles either. You don’t really have to “solve” anything, other than the block sliding bit close to the start of the game. It’s all pretty mindless. Graphics are grey space shooter shit 99% of the time, but every now and then there’s a nice looking bit. The sound design is really quite good though and works well, probably the best part of the game imo.

No idea why some reviews mention bad checkpoints, especially one that talks about having to replay the final level over and over, due to getting killed by enemies. Not sure how that’s even possible, as there are no enemies other than the mid level boss on the last level. Lol. Quick note - a lot of reviews really are absolute bollocks these days. Some claim this is a masterpiece 🤨, even read one that mentions its “puzzles” are like the Shrines in Zelda BOTW! 🤣

So yeah, the game is pretty crap but, it’s managed to just about hold my attention for reasons I’m unable to fully explain. Maybe because i found it bizarrely relaxing and thankfully it was short (5hrs)? Overall - 4/10.

I think I can agree with most of that. Though I did fight most of the enemies rather than run away. As far as battles are concerned the final mini boss bit is where the combat design finally works. It's more of a puzzle and fits with what the game could have been. 

It really felt like a new small team's first game with lofty plans hampered by a lack of experience and a small size. If the combat was more forgiving and puzzle orientated (maybe a strong lock on with LT and a cursor colour change when in range) it might have felt more correct.

The health and ammo systems and reload stations being things to decipher in the world was an interesting touch. It might have meant I missed a healing station leading to very awkward checkpoints with no health or recharges, but it suited the world design.

So yes, the game is "pretty crap" but in a way that to me read as the result of inexperienced developers who didn't do enough play testing with beginner players who didn't know where things were. It was a compelling experience in all that was utterly itself for the entire run time. An independent game that aims for the fences and misses. Personally, the type of thing that is great on game pass as it's something I didn't have to invest money in and got something interesting out.

On 19/10/2022 at 12:56, Ry said:

Uninstalled this as soon as I got to a pipe-mania type puzzle. 

So lasted about 15 mins. 

It's not an easy one, either. Took me about 30 minutes. What's nuts is that there's been nothing remotely as difficult since. No idea why they thought that was a good idea to open the game with, it's an incredibly obtuse area and seemingly the only one with two different resolutions.

Whoever said it breaks every game design sin going was bang on the money, but there's still something quite compelling about it. I'm about three hours in and so far, despite the grotesque scenes, it's actually been a bizarrely chill experience.  I do admire the absolute commitment to zero plot.

On 19/10/2022 at 12:56, Ry said:

Uninstalled this as soon as I got to a pipe-mania type puzzle. 

So lasted about 15 mins. 

Yeah....I kind of did the same. This didn't last long on my HD... 

Still, Gamepass gives you these opportunities! 

I don't think I've played a game in a long while that has had such effort put into the world but where the developers seem so hell bent on putting up so many inscrutable and annoying barriers to actually seeing all of their hard work.

I may end up packing this in anyway

Spoiler

I found the casual cruelty you had to perform on the little moaning creature to be genuinely upsetting. It was obviously designed to make you feel that way, but turns out I'm not as interested in experiencing the contents of this game as much as I thought I was.

I endured this. It certainly had something to it. It's nicely animated. There are unique/interesting story elements. The forboding of the 

Spoiler

Krang like boss was fairly good

The ending: I'll hand it to the creators that they had a vision and

Spoiler

the end was what it was but I certainly immediately reloaded expecting there to be a better, different ending.

I'm sure in the trailer there was more to the 

Spoiler

giant head man.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

I may end up packing this in anyway

Hide contents

I found the casual cruelty you had to perform on the little moaning creature to be genuinely upsetting. It was obviously designed to make you feel that way, but turns out I'm not as interested in experiencing the contents of this game as much as I thought I was.

Probably too late now but there is another way to solve that puzzle with a less terminal outcome. The overriding bleakness of the setting doesn't auger well for the end result either way though.

Yeah I assumed there would be based on the fact there was another room where you could have interacted with it

Spoiler

But the fact the other room had a huge and nasty saw I assumed that would be much worse. Turns out the scoop was I guess.

Anyway, I tried to persevere a bit and I got to the very first place where combat is possible. That's where I stopped. It's truly truly terribly designed in that respect. A weapon that is worse than useless and requires being close to enemies that can kill you in a few hits. Enemies that don't look aggressive until suddenly they are. Checkpoint system that means that when you inevitably die you might come back with only enough health to be one hit from death, AND back before mechanisms that you've gone past already and have to watch all of their animations all over again.

It didn't need any of that at all, it would have been a much better experience without enemies, or at the very least health that regenerates or checkpoints that happen after each door/mechanism.

What started out as intriguing if very unsettling then became frustrating and disrespectful of your time.

• 4 weeks later...

It really does just finish, doesn't it?

Going by the achievements, quite fascinated by the 0.04% of people on Xbox who finished the last bit of actual gameplay but didn't persevere the extra 5 minutes to see the end.

Was creasing all through Act V. From the reliefs to the coffee press, it felt like the aesthetic taken to an extreme. Fond memories of outTHERE on Bravo.

The game could have done with more of that.