Scorn - shameless Giger rip off now available!

Benny

54 minutes ago, earlymodernsteve said:

Given its performance on a good pc (not bleeding edge but more than capable for 1080p) it would run like a slideshow on Bone (and I can't think of any One X exclusive games). 

Don't think there is. The One X had the same jaguar cores of the regular XBO maybe clocked up a bit. I expect Scorn is a bit more demanding on CPU hence the S/X requirement.

7 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I reviewed it for GamesRadar: https://www.gamesradar.com/scorn-review/

It's going to be a polarising one, I think, and the other reviews out there seem to back that up. There are definitely good reasons to simply bounce off it, but I think it's worth the effort to push through.

That's a great review!

How long is the game, and are there any difficulty options? I'm quite interested by the idea of Scorn, but I'm not very keen on slogging through the combat, which sounds infuriating.

2 minutes ago, K said:

That's a great review!

How long is the game, and are there any difficulty options? I'm quite interested by the idea of Scorn, but I'm not very keen on slogging through the combat, which sounds infuriating.

I'd say around 7 hours in all. Unfortunately, it's really lacking in gameplay options.   

Reviews are all over the shop. 8/10s in a few places. 4/10 at Game Spot. 1/5 at Game Rant!

I've got it installed for later and I'm going to be picking up a bottle of wine on the way home, so expect some slightly slurred impressions about midnight.

1 hour ago, BadgerFarmer said:

It's going to be a polarising one, I think, and the other reviews out there seem to back that up. There are definitely good reasons to simply bounce off it, but I think it's worth the effort to push through.

:) Had a quick half hour on it! Glad it's not all shooty and definitely is in the side of exploration and discovery so far. Looking forward to spending more time with it this evening.

I like the fact there is no handholding at all not even the controls are explained which heightens the sense of isolation and mystery. Makes you truly feel like you are in a completely alien place. 

56 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Reviews are all over the shop. 8/10s in a few places. 4/10 at Game Spot. 1/5 at Game Rant!

I can see why. I guess it depends what people are expecting rather than what it is. Half of the problem with reviews these days is that people want things to be what they want them to be rather than accept them for what they are at times (if you get my meaning!).

I've done just over an hour so far. Visually, it gorgeous. Aurally, it's on the verge of playing that special note down my headphones that makes me want to poo - so again, excellent. Especially for somebody of my advancing years.

It doesn't explain anything at all, and the first puzzle hub is delightfully... upsetting (?) in it's process. Running around pressing puzzle buttons yielded some great visual feedback as to what I ought to be doing but couldn't at that point. Really great stuff. The second puzzle hub is a bit more of an enigma. I press buttons, and things happen but the connection between me pressing things and the outcome feels less clear, which isn't so great. Stuff seems to happen, but I'm certainly not planning for it, or understanding the outcome.

If It'd been here first, I'd just think I was thick or something, but it's a sharp contrast from the opening.

2 hours ago, Valver said:

I pre-loaded this on GamePass PC earlier this week.  Clicked play just now - only to be greeted with a 28.1Gb "update"

Gah.  Feels like it's just redownloading the whole thing.

Think the download size is 28GB.. so you are probably right!

Runs great on the S - looks like its locked at 1080@60fps which going by what I've played so far of the game is fine. Not a fast game by any stretch of the imagination! :)

I gave it about 45 minutes and decided it’s not for me. There’s no doubt the art style is impressive but it didn’t look especially good to my eyes, the environments look very stale and I reckon it could do with some better lighting and atmospheric effects.

40 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I gave it about 45 minutes and decided it’s not for me. There’s no doubt the art style is impressive but it didn’t look especially good to my eyes, the environments look very stale and I reckon it could do with some better lighting and atmospheric effects.

I should probably point out that I didn’t even clear the first area. There was a bit where I had to change power lines (?) with an overhead camera and that was the point I decided to nope out.

I preloaded on series X and had a 3.5(ish)Fb update, it didn’t download the whole thing again for me.

Well it runs really nicely on my PC and it looks great (I mean it's all horrible and sticky entrails, glistening machines and nastiness, but it's very well done)

Just cleared the first puzzle room - felt sorry for this guy.   Stuck in an egg for aeons and then I find him to do unspeakable things to/with.  the whimpering he makes is most unsettling.

1636316558_WingdkScreenshot2022_10.14-14_49_09_54.thumb.jpg.ee7b6566fe575cbb5c1080a894b3dbb4.jpg 

7 minutes ago, Valver said:

Well it runs really nicely on my PC and it looks great (I mean it's all horrible and sticky entrails, glistening machines and nastiness, but it's very well done)

Just cleared the first puzzle room - felt sorry for this guy.   Stuck in an egg for aeons and then I find him to do unspeakable things to/with.  the whimpering he makes is most unsettling. 

Thing about that bit:

Spoiler

There are two ways of dealing with it, depending on which machine you guide him to. He doesn't have to die, at least not on your watch.

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

I should probably point out that I didn’t even clear the first area. There was a bit where I had to change power lines (?) with an overhead camera and that was the point I decided to nope out.

I made it this far too.

Played around with it a couple of times and followed all the train tracks and just gave up on it. 

I may give it one last try, but I'm thinking at this point I'd sooner have the HDD space back.

4 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Thing about that bit:

Reveal hidden contents

There are two ways of dealing with it, depending on which machine you guide him to. He doesn't have to die, at least not on your watch.

Spoiler

Indeed! :) Managed to get both ways earlier as I quit the game and when went back to it didn't realise the save points are a bit hit/miss. So had to redo the puzzle again(!). This time around I chopped his hand off - last time I saved him. Two lots of achievement points I guess. 

Save points in this are a bit odd there is no indication anywhere that it has saved and where your restart point would be when you come back to it so worth been mindful of this. Essentially it seems once you have solved an area and progressed on to the next it will save. Just don't assume after you have solved the puzzle it has saved as you may have to do it again!!

Played about 2 hours of it and into the 3rd area. Not sure what I think of it, it’s definitely a puzzle game but the puzzles so far haven’t been massively difficult, they seem more like press things until you find the one that is the start of the process. But then it is early in the game I suppose. The 3rd part is the first time I’ve been attacked, however I get the feeling based on the combat being absolutely awful that in reality you are supposed to be avoiding combat and only using it as a very last resort. At least after dying for the first time I treated it that way and very easily avoided the two fights I had gotten into.

8 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

This is a brilliant review. I can’t think of a game I’d less rather play than this one, yet I loved reading that. 

7 hours ago, Lying Cat said:

I've done just over an hour so far. Visually, it gorgeous. Aurally, it's on the verge of playing that special note down my headphones that makes me want to poo - so again, excellent. Especially for somebody of my advancing years.

It doesn't explain anything at all, and the first puzzle hub is delightfully... upsetting (?) in it's process. Running around pressing puzzle buttons yielded some great visual feedback as to what I ought to be doing but couldn't at that point. Really great stuff. The second puzzle hub is a bit more of an enigma. I press buttons, and things happen but the connection between me pressing things and the outcome feels less clear, which isn't so great. Stuff seems to happen, but I'm certainly not planning for it, or understanding the outcome.

If It'd been here first, I'd just think I was thick or something, but it's a sharp contrast from the opening.

Sounds fucking awful.

Wow, this seems the most Marmite of games of late. Just off for a Chinese up the road whilst it downloads, will give it a whirl when I get in. Probably not the best idea to be eating Singapore Vermicelli, Shu Mai and and a few drinks beforehand but I like to live dangerously.

Game looks disgusting.

Just now, amc said:

Game looks disgusting.

There is actually quite a weird sterility to it, for all it’s seemingly organic nature it doesn’t feel that grimy. It also feels very Unreal Engine if that makes sense.

It does feel very AA as well (which isn’t necessarily a slight) just some areas do feel like they have been skimped on a bit. Looking down at your feet and then moving being a classic example.