Scorn - An Atmospheric Horror Adventure in Two Parts

Benny

I'm surprised not to find a topic on this game. Just saw a trailer in another thread and it looks very interesting. Clearly H. R. Giger inspired even if they don't mention it in the Kickstarter, but that's what piqued my interest.

The trailer makes it look like it's Giger-inspired to the point of plagiarism. It's a nice aesthetic, but it seems a bit off that they're copying his whole style for commercial gain without crediting him, and presumably without paying anything to his estate.

Would Cuphead perhaps be a better comparison?

I'm not defending the developers incidentally, I think the lack of any mention of Giger even as acknowledgement is poor show.

It does feel slightly different to Giger though, in that it doesn't have the same level of disturbing sexual imagery I think.

I guess you probably could level the same criticism at Cuphead, but it feels like it's a pastiche of Max Fleischer rather than a direct lift. All the characters in Cuphead are original creations in his style. Scorn doesn't look like it's copied from anything specific, but they haven't put really tweaked or varied Giger's style (apart from the bone guns, which look very much like the ones in Existenz).

eXistence was the first thing I thought of when I saw the guns as well. I'm kind of disappointed that they just act like regular guns though. I've seen people also compare the art style to Zdzisław Beksiński, which I can see elements of, so I don't think it's entirely a Giger rip. I'm torn over it as I really love the art and want to see a game in this style released, but I also don't like artistic appropriation without acknowledgment.

• 3 years later...

I agree. There didn't feel like there was any real threat to the enemies there. Like, when the player got acid-vom'd on, it was like they stood there specifically to let it happen - or most of the way through the video where the wierd head-butt monster ambles towards him so he stops and choses that moment to reload before two-shotting the enemy. It didn't even get to finish it's recovery animations from the first attack.

I like the Giger-esque visuals, but they need to ratchet the pressure and threat up a notch. Casually strolling away from an enemy while it casually strolls towards you looks unbelievably dull.

Yeah, its one trick, at least from the videos I've seen, seems to be its Giger/Beksinski cribbed visuals for its world and not much else. As noted, it looks fucking boring.

Perhaps wandering around the Derelict on LV-426 x mucus will bring hitherto joy to game playing but I'm doubtfull.