Goose

John Wick 3: Parabellum - May 2019

Just announced - Reeves is obviously set to return and if you've seen Chapter 2, you'll have a rough idea of where the story could be going. 

Summit now feel the character/franchise is big enough to take on the summer blockbusters. There's already a John Wick origins TV show in the works as well as a spin off set in and around the 'hotel'

Currently the film will face off with the following, but any and all are liable to change, as well as being joined by other, yet unannounced, releases.

May (Details)
• Untitled Avengers (BV) - 5/3
• The Rosie Project (TriS) - 5/10
• Uglydolls (STX) - 5/10
• John Wick: Chapter 3 (LG/S) - 5/17
• Aladdin (2019) (BV) - 5/24
• Minecraft (WB) - 5/24

From Joblo.com

Although we can be sure to expect the type of hard-hitting action that the franchise is known for, details on the plot of JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 3 haven't yet been revealed. Earlier this year director Chad Stahelski told JoBlo that the sequel may not necessarily be bigger than the previous two, but will hopefully be "more creative and different." Stahelski also mentioned a few of the elements he's hoping to explore in the threequel.

We are going to put in something about the High Table, how that all works. We’re going to put in something about where John comes from, and where he wants to go. I don’t want to say too much more, but it will be a nice completion to Mr Wick’s journey.

When asked whether JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 3 will serve as the finale of the JOHN WICK trilogy, Chad Stahelski said, "in our minds, yes. But I’ll let the studio answer those sort of questions." It seems that the creative team is hoping that JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 3 will wrap up John Wick's story, but if it does well and brings in more money, well, never say never.

• Upvote 1

watched 1 and 2 back to back a couple of months ago. the back to back viewing, and time between viewings of 2, further showed 1 as the better film.

i really hope they show more restraint on the whole secret society/lore & mythology thing in 3, as it undermined 2 a lot and made it feel a lot more nerdy than it could have been.

1 hour ago, Triple A said:

watched 1 and 2 back to back a couple of months ago. the back to back viewing, and time between viewings of 2, further showed 1 as the better film.

i really hope they show more restraint on the whole secret society/lore & mythology thing in 3, as it undermined 2 a lot and made it feel a lot more nerdy than it could have been.

I think we're going to see the opposite. I reckon they'll ramp up the mythology and such. I can also see there being (spoiler for JW2)

Spoiler

Another similar type of hotel/society, in which Wick is able to take shelter now that has he been cast out by the other one

There's nothing quite like taking an excellent, self contained one off that's then gradually diluted and thrashed apart over and over and over until it's a little more than a bloody corpse that nobody can look at with anything other than revulsion, with people barely able to remember how much they enjoyed it in the first place.

tl;dr I preferred 1 to 2. 

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

People were saying they really wanted the return of the continental and more about the underworld after part 1 and that's exactly what part 2 delivered.

John Wick 2 is so far ahead of every other action film released this year it's not even funny, just sad. Watching Keanu go to work is just a joy to watch

Untitled Avengers ft. special guest star CGI rubble can suck a fat one

Those other movies are fucked. Don't they realise they are going up against John Wick, have they never heard of John Wick before? Do those other movies even know what this means? Do they know who they are going up against? John Wick will turn the conventional blockbuster season upside down. I tell you, upside down!!! The cinemas will print money at this orgy of action ..a veritable one man army is going to OWN the summer. It's only a matter of time before the greatest action movie of 2019 is released and when it does, no matter when it is, get ready gentlemen because John Wick is a-coming.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I would be okay with a sequel if, after the ending of John Wick 2:

Spoiler

We discover that it's really Neo with amnesia who's been living in another version of the Matrix. And so the end scene of John Wick 2 with an entire army of assassins/programs under one command suddenly makes sense.

I preferred 1 to 2 after watching it at the cinema however after watching it on UHD I think its a lot better. 1 is better for the raw violence (double tap kills ftw) but 2 is a much better package.

I like the whole machinations of the Continental and all the different departments and people, plus another crazy turn by Fishbourne.

Hoping 3 keeps the pattern of improvement going.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DirkCrisis said:

Whilst this series hasn't fallen off a quality cliff in the same way as Taken, I fear it has the potential to do so.

Any new John Wick would still have to go some to reach Taken's moment of using grenades in a major city to determine location.

Did enjoy 2, but kind of wish it had been left as one awesome action film, like a brilliant movie meteorite never to be seen in again in our lifetimes, flicking V-signs at Hollywood's stale, hyper-cut laden action sequences as it roared through cinemas and became the stuff of legend on DVD and digital.

Any sane action film fan that hasn't seen John Wick really should just stop what they're doing and watch it. It's such a shot in the arm.

• Upvote 1

Official Synopsis - 

John Wick (Keanu Reeves) is on the run for two reasons… he’s being hunted for a global $14 million dollar open contract on his life, and for breaking a central rule: taking a life on Continental Hotel grounds. The victim was a member of the High Table who ordered the open contract. John should have already been executed, except the Continental’s manager, Winston, has given him a one-hour grace period before he’s “Excommunicado” – membership revoked, banned from all services and cut off from other members. John uses the service industry to stay alive as he fights and kills his way out of New York City.

Not quite sure what the first part of that last line is saying. Confirmed for May 17th 2019.

Sounds like he opens a dry cleaners, a dry cleaners with an expertise in cleaning up... blood.

Hopefully 3 will indeed be it and he and his dog ride off into the night, only to be heard of on whispers in the wind, before they move on to the reported TV show about the Continental.

I thought the first one was ok I guess, nothing particularly memorable. I don't get people calling it some mindblowing action movie.

What was so special about it compared to every other mediocre action movie coming out these days?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I thought Taken was pretty mediocre as an action film, but the sequels really showed how poor the standard of competition can be. John Wick occupies the same space of being a bit daft, but not offensively awful.

1 hour ago, partious said:

What was so special about it compared to every other mediocre action movie coming out these days?

Killing his puppy elevated the action & violence to a whole new level.

• Upvote 1

For me it was how invested in the process Keanu Reeves was. The guy trained for months so he could do every stunt, fight scene and even a lot of the driving himself and that added so much to the finished article. Not to mention it has some of the best stylised and tightly choreographed action there had been in a long time.

His motivation / excuse for everything he does being so beautifully simple and emotional (for maybe 60% of viewers) was the icing on the cake. Not to mention how brilliant it is to hear and see how scared everyone is of him. 

• Upvote 6

Some more casting

Halle Berry as Sofia

Anjelica Houston as The Director

Asia Kate Dillon as The Adjudicator

Mark Dacascos as an assassin, Zero

Jason Mantzoukas as Tick Tock Man

Yayan Ruhian and Cecep Arif Rahma from The Raid and Tiger Hu Chen as other killers. I imagine we could see those on the street in the post above.

• Upvote 2