Spainkiller

The official rllmuk MCU ranking

We need to create an official MCU ranking because this forum needs a singular voice of truth in these dark, confusing times. Also, I hate it when people are wrong about important things like movies about fictional heroes, so if we have, like, a democratic authority on the entire thing, it just makes it easier for everyone.

Now obviously my opinion on the matter is paramount, but I'm still kind of torn on which the best film in the entire franchise is (Iron Man or Guardians of the Galaxy) so I'm hoping that you lot can duke it out with each other while I take some time to think.

... Yes, this is essentially a list thread, but it's an important one, dammit.

• Upvote 2

Captain America: Winter Soldier

GOTG 

Thor: Ragnorok

Ant Man

Captain America: Civil War

Avengers

GOTG Vol 2

Spiderman

Captain America: The First Avenger

IDoctor Strange

Iron Man

Thor

Avengers Age of Ulton

Iron Man 3

Thor 2

Iron Man 2

Sure I've forgotton one. TBH there's a big gap between AoU and IM3

• Upvote 1

1. GOTG (5/5)

2. Captain America: Winter Soldier (5/5)

3. Avengers (4/5)

4. Spiderman: Homecoming (4/5)

5. Iron Man (4/5)

6. GOTG Vol 2 (4/5)

7. Captain America: Civil War (4/5)

8. Captain America: The First Avenger (3/5)

9. Ant-Man (3/5)

10. Iron Man 3 (3/5)

11. Avengers: Age of Ultron (3/5)

12. Doctor Strange (3/5)

13. Thor (3/5)

14. The Incredible Hulk (2/5)

15. Iron Man 2 (2/5)

16. Thor: The Dark Work (2/5)

• Upvote 1

Amazeballs:

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

2. Ant-Man

3. Iron Man

4. Thor: Ragnarok

5. Thor: The Dark World

Great:

6. Guardians of the Galaxy

7. Captain America: Civil War

8. Avengers: Assemble

9. Captain America: The First Avenger

10. Iron Man 3

12. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

13. Doctor Strange

14. Avengers: Age of Ultron

15. Spider-Man: Homecoming

16. Thor

17. Iron Man 2

18. The Incredible Hulk

1. Iron Man (10)
  2. GOTG (10)
  3. Captain America: Winter Soldier (10)
  4. Spiderman: Homecoming (10)
  5. Ant Man (9)
  6. Avengers (9)
  7. Iron Man 3 (8)
  8. GOTG Vol 2 (8)
  9. Captain America: Civil War (8)
  10. Captain America: The First Avenger (8)
  11. Doctor Strange (7)
  12. Iron Man 2 (6)
  13. Thor (6)
  14. Avengers Age of Ultron (5)
  15. Thor 2 (4)
  16. The Incredible Hulk (3)

Added ratings out of 10.

Edit: later post adds Thor Ragnarok. Please ignore this one.

• Upvote 2

A few could swap places here but generally this is about bang on for me. I like all of them regardless but the bottom has much more flawed films (i think Iron Man 2 is the only one I actually come close to really disliking, because it's literally a holding pattern of a movie and you can see it all over the thing). I even quite like Thor 2 ultimately.

Avengers

Thor: Ragnarok

Guardians of the Galaxy

Spider-Man Homecoming

Iron Man

Dr Strange

Captain America: the First Avenger

Ant-Man

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Thor

Thor: the Dark World

Iron Man 3

The Incredible Hulk

Iron Man 2

• Upvote 1

Favourites;

1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier

2) GOTG

Really enjoyed:

3) Captain America: The First Avenger

4) Iron Man

5) Thor

6) GOTG 2

7) Spider-Man: Homecoming

8) Captain America: Civil War

9) Doctor Strange

Good:

10) Avengers

11) Ant Man

12) Incredible Hulk

13) Iron Man 3

OK:

14) Iron Man 2

15) Thor: The Dark World

16) Avengers: Age of Ultron

I have prepared for this moment!

1. The Avengers

My favourite action blockbuster since The Matrix. Not flawless (yeah, I've seen that hbomberguy video about the shortcomings of its fight choreography, and the Every Frame A Painting where it gets used as an example of flat direction), but in terms of sheer density of triumphant lines and moments, of clever superhero power combinations and action gags, it's second only to The Incredibles. Moviebob described the film as "a party that's celebrating its own existence", and that's a pretty good way of summarising it: not especially deep, but executed so, so entertainingly. So many moments still make me smile to think back on them: Coulson waiting on the phone during Black Widow's interrogation, Cap issuing the "Hulk? Smash" instruction, Black Widow fooling Loki with her vulnerability act, "It seems to run on some form of electricity", and best of all Hulk catching the ejector seat - an action sequence I've been known to go on and on about because it's so perfect:wub:

2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

The extent to which "it's not a superhero movie, it's a political/spy thriller" might be overstated by fans. And it's disappointing that the film does that fantastic revelation about Hydra's links to SHIELD and then simplifies it by having all the sleeper agents all pop up and yell "Boo!" all at the same time in order to simplify matters for the action climax. But that's a pretty minor complaint compared to the fact the film gets the tone and the action so right throughout.

3. Captain America: Civil War

Although the film's ideological debate don't always stand up to scrutiny with either in-universe continuity or real-world morality (some good criticism of that here), this is tremendously enjoyable. Though as much fun as the shared universe aspects of the film are (Vision is great in this), part of me is a little disappointed that the trilogy's capper (Cap-per 8-)) is also the one with least focus on Steve Rogers.

Also:

Spoiler

QUEENS

4. Iron Man

Our first introduction to the MCU is still one of the best - and it's astonishing that the whole series was effectively set up by just one inspired casting decision. (One of my few reservations about the film is that I've always felt a little uncomfortable about the glee with which the it relishes the slaughter of Middle Easterners during Tony's escape... even if those specific goons deserve it.)

5. Guardians of the Galaxy

A recent rewatch took off a little of the shine for me, compared to my memories of the cinema viewing; but the appeal of the characters, the style of the soundtrack, and the quality of the jokes still make it one of the best in the series.

--> 6. Thor Ragnarok - NEW ENTRY!

7. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

This one has been somewhat divisive on this forum, to the extent I wonder if it might just be recentism bias making me rank it this high. Looking forward to watching it again!

8. Iron Man 3

Shut up, it's great. Especially The Twist.

9. Spider-Man: Homecoming

The best villain in the entire MCU - especially in that bit, you know the bit.

In the GOTG thread I recently linked to this MCU ranking. His comics opinions are normally sensible, but he has a blind spot when it comes to some of those placements - but I do like his description of this film as "dancing between the raindrops of previous adaptations". It's the second- or third-best Spidey film. (If it had JK Simmons it might have been the best...)

10. Captain America: The First Avenger

For some reason, when I looked back at that Letterboxd list I made a while ago, I put this below Ant-Man. I'm honestly not sure what came over me to put it so low! The Star-Spangled Man sequence, Peggy Carter, and Tommy Lee Jones alone should be enough to push it into the top 10. One of the best superhero origin movies.

And the gender-swapped remake earlier this year wasn't bad either. 

11. Doctor Strange

Maybe doesn't do enough to differentiate itself from Iron Man. But it has one of the best final confrontation with the villain. And those visuals!

12. Avengers: Age of Ultron

The initial disappointment was that this wasn't the triumphant party that the first one was. The subsequent disappointment was that it seemed so full of missed opportunities and things that didn't quite hang together - whether those flaws originated from executive meddling, or Whedon biting off more than he could chew.

However, it is an interesting movie - definitely the one where I've spent most time thinking about what did aspects and didn't work. And it contains some great individual ideas and moments, including what might be my favourite scene in the entire MCU: the party with the Myuh-Myuh lifting competition.

13. Ant-Man

Entertaining, and a lot better than I expected it to be after it was announced that Edgar Wright had left, but not that memorable.

14. Thor: The Dark World

Messy, and a real waste of Christopher Eccleston. I can understand why people say Natalie Portman looks like she doesn't really want to be there. But I'm a sucker for the portal/gravity/London gags in the action climax. That alone is the reason I rank this above...

15. Thor

The film is just generally good-natured fun, but it is remarkable that they figured out how to make Thor and Asgard work so believably in a modern blockbuster series. Kudos for casting Hemsworth and Hiddleston too - another reason the MCU owes its success to the casting of its origin stories. (Though the best thing about the movie is Darcy, obviously.)

16. Iron Man 2

There are good moments in the film but the story is repetitive and meandering.  Also, I always found this version of Rhodey less believable as Tony Stark's best friend than Terence Howard was - IMO Don Cheadle didn't really come into his own in the role until Iron Man 3.

17. The Incredible Hulk

Or, as I like to call it, "The Unmemorable Hulk". Not terrible, just really unremarkable. Having said that, I've only seen it once, so it might be worth revisiting it with knowledge of what's since happened to the MCU.

And for good measure I have this and this. Feel free to point out any inconsistencies between the full genre list and the individual franchise lists, and to tell me how ridiculously wrong I am about Blade. :ph34r:

• Upvote 8

Good:

1: Iron Man

2: The Avengers

3: Captain America: Winter Soldier

4: Spider-Man Homecoming

5: Guardians of the Galaxy

6: Ant Man

Alright:

7: Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2

8: Captain America: The First Avenger

9: Iron Man 3

10: Captain America: Civil War

11: Thor

Dull/shite:

12: Iron Man 2

13: The Incredible Hulk

14: Avengers Age of Ultron

15: Doctor Strange

16: Thor: The Dark World

The Best:

Guardians of the Galaxy

Iron Man 3

The Good:

Ant-Man

Civil War

Dr Strange

The bland, flavourless Marvel movies:

Avengers

Winter Soldier

GOTG 2

Iron Man

Iron Man 2

Thor

The ugly:

Age of Ultron

Thor 2

The very ugly:

The First Avenger

From what I've seen:

1. Guardians 

2. Winter Soldier 

3. Avengers

4. Ant-Man

5. Iron Man

6. Age of Ultron

7. First Avenger 

8. Iron Man 3

9. Thor

10. Incredible Hulk

11. Iron Man 2

12. Thor 2 

Still quite a few to see still and most of the above I've only seen once - can't even remember the majority of Thor 2 

To be honest, top 5 stand out as being markedly better than the rest. From Ant-Man down they're all pretty much three-star efforts up until Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 and below, all of which I was a bit underwhelmed / disappointed with. But they're all still enjoyable enough, and don't think there's been a true stinker, certainly nothing remotely close to superhero bilge like Fantastic Four or Suicide Squad.

GOTG 

The Avengers

Spider-Man: Homecoming

Ant-Man

Captain America: The First Avenger

Doctor Strange

Iron Man

Thor

Iron Man 3

Thor 2

GOTG Vol 2

Avengers Age of Ulton

Iron Man 2

Time to upset some people!

1 - Captain America the first Avenger

Pretty much perfect in every way from the cast to the plot, to the action. Just  wonderful film from one of the most under rated directors of all time

2 - Ant Man

Again, a perfect cast with one of my face actors of all time (Douglas). The script is my favourite of all the MCU 

3 - Doctor Strange

DS is pretty boring in the comics TBH. This is amazing, from more perfect casting to,the incredible effects and the brilliant bad guy. 

4 - Iron Man

A great film with balls to spare and the most perfect casting in cinema

5 - GOTG 2

much better than the first film with much more of a plot and a better pace.

6 - The Avengers

Not perfect and I am still not a fan of Ruffalo as Banner. The first casting decision they got wrong IMHO. Still, amazing fun to watch

7 - Captain America civil war

I still think it was way too early in the MCU for this story. Still. It was a fun romp with everyone clearly enjoying themselves. Some dodgy SFX for a change

8 - Thor

Not perfect, but it does bring us Hiddleston and Hopkins is also excellent. Branagh was an inspired choice to direct

9 - Iron Man 3

Too long and a little too up its own arse, but most of it it's lots of fun and the end fight is awesome.

10 - The Incredible Hulk

Nobody but me seems to like this one. I am old enough to remember when Norton was considered the finest actor of his generation. Not really sure what happened to that train of thought. I love him here, so much better than Ruffalo. The first hour is brilliant and there is also Roth who brings something unique to the MCU

11 - Captain America Winter Soldier

as Brubakers run on cap is my favourite Marvel comics ever this was always going to struggle to live up to my expectations.  It really doesn't do a great job handling Winter Soldier at all and he ain't much of an actor. 

12 - avengers Age of Ultron

A strange movie in some respects, again far too early into the MCU for this story. lovely action scenes though and the addition of Olsen and Bettany really helps 

13 - Thor 2

Not a bad film, but they really waste Eccleston. Too much plot for one film perhaps. Hiddles and Hemsworth play brilliantly off each other here.

14 - GOTG

Not a big fan of this TBH. Really doesn't hold up to repeat viewings

15 - Spider-Man Homecoming

Oh dear. Where do I start. Holland is by far the worst person to play Peter (yes, even worse than Hammond) and the techno suit is bullshit.  Even the presence of one of my top 5 actors of all time as the bad guy can't save this film. It's just about watchable. 

16 - Iron man 2

just plain awful. The only one I didn't bother seeing at the cinema

• Upvote 1

The First Avenger was fairly decent first time around I thought. 

Watching it again within the context of Civil War, I realised it's FUCKING AWESOME. 

1. GOTG Vol. 2 - More heart than the first one and even more consistently amazing, mostly because of the ending. The ESB of the MCU.

2. GOTG - I never thought I'd see a better Marvel movie than Avengers, then this came out.

3. Avengers Assemble - Stunning.

4. Ant Man - Very fun. More actually trippy than Dr Strange.

5. Thor: Dark World - I like the elf spaceships.

6. Civil War - Washed out visuals again but I kind of love the espionage angle of the Cap movies.

7. Iron Man - Responsible for starting the whole thing off, resurrecting Robert Downey jr and setting up the MCU. 

8. Iron Man 3 - Really fun I thought. Haters gonna hate.

9. Age of Ultron - Enjoyed this far more on the second viewing. I can imagine this slipping up the ranking with time.

10. The First Avenger - Very decent. Remade as Wonder Woman.

11. WInter Soldier - Good but suffers badly from washed out Marvel movie syndrome.

12. Spiderman homecoming - I just couldn't get a handle on this. Considering it was set in New York it had no sense of place. Birdman saves it.

13. Dr Strange - A marketing executives idea of psychedelia. Fun on the whole but Strange has completely the wrong personality.

14. Thor - Pretty good but looks like it was made for TV.

15. Iron Man 2 - Stuff happens. Mickey Rourke has whips.

16. The Hulk - Not really part of the modern MCU IMO, but hey.

4 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

16. The Hulk - Not really part of the modern MCU IMO, but hey.

Did you mean Hulk (the arty Ang Lee one) or The Incredible Hulk (with Ed Norton)? I think we're including the latter because of the post-credits cameo.

2 hours ago, Commander Jameson said:

Did you mean Hulk (the arty Ang Lee one) or The Incredible Hulk (with Ed Norton)? I think we're including the latter because of the post-credits cameo.

I meant the Ed Norton one. Never saw the post-credits cameo so wil look it up.

I think I actually had more fun with the Ang Lee one thanks to Shrek taking the main lead.

As I remember it it was a shame they put that scene before the credits as it's a weird end to the film rather than Norton controlling his anger.

Edit: the video shows the scenes following then the credits after, no remembering required!

2 hours ago, sandman said:

1 - Captain America the first Avenger

Pretty much perfect in every way from the cast to the plot, to the action. Just  wonderful film from one of the most under rated directors of all time

Ban request.

7 hours ago, Illyria said:

I don't agree with @sir shrew on most things, but I do on this matter.

I even tried to watch it a second time, I think I fell asleep.

What about him calling Avengers, Winter Soldier and Iron Man bland? MADNESS.

• Upvote 2