IGNORED

Minidisc Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

Unfortunately, Hawklord's MDS-JE530 went pop when he switched it on, it self-destructed in a puff of smoke after being upset for being left alone in a cupboard for years.

I'd like to think it went out in a blaze of comical glory, leaving him looking a bit like Tom from Tom & Jerry after smoking an exploding cigar.

It was a shame, and big thanks to @Hawklord for digging it out and checking it in the first place but alas it was not to be.

Not wanting to leave this tale at a tragic end, I eventually weakened and bought an MDS-JE930 which should be here mid-week. It's supposedly in good nick and with remote so fingers crossed I'll be making mixtapes like a master by next weekend. It even has a PS/2 keyboard port for easy track naming! The future looked so bright back then.

One thing I did notice during my search is that it's minidisc day in a few days, https://minidiscday.com/

Bandwagon jumping here we come!

It looks like it's mainly a load of vapourwave releases, so I don't think I'll be buying any of them.

I'm just looking forward to being able to record and playback vinyl comps easily like the good old days.

It's here!

I've temporarily connected it to my receiver via phono leads and recorded a full disc of streaming radio direct to it just to test that it works. Didn't bother with renaming tracks at this point.

Seems OK so far, I'd forgotten just how massive old school remote controls were though!

Got a nice sealed box of Sony discs ready to go too!

md1.thumb.jpg.8afe1c50980749006a28e6f4e492af5d.jpg

Like the monolith from 2001 but with loads of buttons!

md2.thumb.jpg.2120ed6fbf73659196a43505c5c19db4.jpg

I think a few hours of recording vinyl is in order. Might do my favourites from the de:tuned series first

2 hours ago, cubik said:

It's here!

I've temporarily connected it to my receiver via phono leads and recorded a full disc of streaming radio direct to it just to test that it works. Didn't bother with renaming tracks at this point.

Seems OK so far, I'd forgotten just how massive old school remote controls were though!

Got a nice sealed box of Sony discs ready to go too!

md1.thumb.jpg.8afe1c50980749006a28e6f4e492af5d.jpg

Like the monolith from 2001 but with loads of buttons!

md2.thumb.jpg.2120ed6fbf73659196a43505c5c19db4.jpg

I think a few hours of recording vinyl is in order. Might do my favourites from the de:tuned series first

So glad you managed to find one! Enjoy 8-)

Spent today checking everything was fine, all the inputs & outputs (co-ax, optical and analogue) are working correctly.

I've still got to get my head around using it properly, I used to be whizz on my old JE530. I could delete/re-order/split tracks/title really quickly but using a PC has made me lazy.

It's now in place, with my poor CD player related to a floor space until I redo the woodwork in my cabinet to give it its own shelf over to the left.

MD.thumb.jpg.63eed16ac851b022ceefd2f9ee28dac3.jpg

I've recorded a few things from CD/vinyl/radio as a test, all of which are sounding good.

Currently playing the only pre-recorded disc I own, Spinifex by Tim Koch.

I got it when the album came out in 2018, it was only a couple of quid more than buying the download on its own. At the time I never thought I'd actually play it!

https://shop.cpurecords.net/album/spinifex

spacer.png

On 02/09/2017 at 10:47, Lorfarius said:

So... not really gaming but sparked off by the fact I was looking at PS1 games and noticed an old Minidisc album tucked away in a secondhand shop. I never had a player back in the day and it was right on the cusp of me getting online as I was starting to download music when they first came to my attention. Sounded like a failure on all accounts but I've never let that stop me before!

I was curious and started to look at numerous tech videos about the format and with everything seeming so cheap I thought I'd jump in and bought a Minidisc player on eBay for just.. £30! Thing is tiny and lets me record straight onto the minidiscs from CDs so I can create my own albums:

s-l1600.jpg.443988a9179908fcc205fe807c26ecc9.jpg

Looks pretty neat tucked away with my amp and vinyl player:

player.thumb.jpg.0e1cf5c689236153308100b755c36414.jpg

I have this unit with the original speakers and optional cassette add on in the loft, bought with some redundancy money back in the day. Absolutely loved it, I would really like to get it out again but space is a premium in my place. I definitely had a portable minidisc player too but no idea where that's gone. 

I only ever bought one prerecorded album and the was Macy Grey. Made loads of mix discs though, wondering if I still have any of those and what's on them thanks to this thread. 

Awesome thread @Lorfarius brought back a lot of memories. 

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

I have this unit with the original speakers and optional cassette add on in the loft, bought with some redundancy money back in the day. Absolutely loved it, I would really like to get it out again but space is a premium in my place. I definitely had a portable minidisc player too but no idea where that's gone. 

I only ever bought one prerecorded album and the was Macy Grey. Made loads of mix discs though, wondering if I still have any of those and what's on them thanks to this thread. 

Awesome thread @Lorfarius brought back a lot of memories. 

It's surprising just how cheap the full set up is considering the quality. It's nice and tidy when it's all tucked away out of sight. Never too far away to burn a quick album!

• 4 months later...

Spurred on by @MagicalDrop in the wanted thread I dug out my old portable minidisc player/recorder and then realised I didn't want to sell it to him!

I loved it back in the day. I was a very early adopter with one of the early longer silver portable machines and for about 10 years it was my portable machine of choice before I succumbed to an early iPod. However like a lot of people I like the physical aspect and the discs/machines are really quite sexy IMO. 

So I ordered a new battery and it all works perfectly. I must have gotten rid of all my blanks so ordered a few of those and amazingly I have one album (Billy Joel!) and slotting it in and hearing that familiar whirring really made me feel it! It still sounds really good too. I have a CD player so have an idea to LISTEN to an album all the way through and at the same time record it digitally onto MD. Then have it portable on my dog walk!

On that point I always recorded via an optical out into the recorder as I think thats a better option rather than analogue? It does all the track markers as well. I've not misremembered that have I? I have ordered a digital cable for a fiver as I can't seem to find mine. 

So I might be in the market for a hi-fi recorder if anybody has one!

Amazing to see there appears to be a collectable market for pre-recorded discs now. Fleecebay seems to be about £30-£50 for an album. Not sure if they actually change hands for that much very often but if I had loads of money (which I haven't) I might be tempted!

092A3011-9247-4A40-878E-9DFECF18F9A0_1_201_a.jpeg

Assuming distant Facebook marketplace sellers can be trusted I've got one on the way. Had a lovely player back in the day and a couple of tatty spares the kids used to use that I picked up at boot sales. Must've sold the lot as I can't find a trace of anything around the house. 

Thought I would need a new optical cable for recording but realised the little dangly plugs that hang on my current spare should be the correct adapters. So all set and waiting for the postman. Which just leaves me to ponder which CDs are going to get the deluxe minidisc transfer treatment.

It also looks like it should be possible to record from Spotify - has anyone on here tried this with success? 

• 4 weeks later...

image.png.62e3f5a2c6557d39b1a94162efb8ff4a.png

I dusted this baby off not long ago, from the year 2000. The Ni-Cad battery inside had leaked everywhere and corroded the connections but I successfully scraped it all off and it works fine. I added a new Ni-MH AA rechargeable battery and it charged up, no problems. I think the battery life should actually be better these days? I wish I could do something about the yellowing of the grey plastic and the dust in the digital display, but there's probably not a solution that doesn't involve dismantling it.

I'm surprised how good it sounds, despite me putting together the minidiscs in the crudest way possible. This was before you could upload to minidisc as data (that became a thing later right?), so I had to link it to my PC via 3.5mm audio jack, manually play mp3s (probably 128 bit) on my PC and hit record on the player. I only bothered adding track names for the first few discs then predictably got too lazy.

I took it on a whirl up to the shops and quickly realised that the music can cut out if you move too much, a lot like a CD walkman, but not so extreme. I had completely forgotten about that small drawback. Joggers were still using cassettes at this time, I suppose.

Anyway, it would be nice to knock up new minidiscs. Somebody really should've invented a minidisc drive you can attach to your PC that lets you stick the data straight on there via some kind of app, but I don't think that exists. Is my old method the only way? The LINE IN port says (OPTICAL) under it, but it's a 3.5mm audio jack port? I have no idea.

2 hours ago, Number 28 said:

Anyway, it would be nice to knock up new minidiscs. Somebody really should've invented a minidisc drive you can attach to your PC that lets you stick the data straight on there via some kind of app, but I don't think that exists.

I think they DID exist (as a 5.25" drive, like a CD/DVD drive form factor) but they were never common. I've certainly never seen one for real. 

2 hours ago, Number 28 said:

Is my old method the only way? The LINE IN port says (OPTICAL) under it, but it's a 3.5mm audio jack port? I have no idea.

Yeah you'll only be able to record at 1:1 speed. 

The port is a combination audio and optical port. You can either put a stereo jack cable in it, or you can get an optical cable with a plug the same size/shape as a 3.5mm jack. 

IIRC if you press Record again while your analogue recording is in progress, it will insert a 'new track' marker. That might only have been on Sharp recorders though - I did most of my recording back in the day on Sharp machines but the only working MD unit I still have nowadays is a Sony.

I have dozens and dozens of Minidiscs that I keep intending to digitise but I've just not got the time. Old band practices from 20 years ago, that kind of thing. 

Damn, those drives must be gold dust now, like a Nintendo Playstation... 1:1 with a stereo jack it is, and I'll add the track markings afterwards I think. Thanks for the info. :)

My player came with a particularly cheap remote (others had their own digital screen) and unfortunately some of the buttons became jammed and it doesn't work properly. But I was never much of a fan of using it, so oh well. I might try to open it up and have a tinker, but I need a very tiny screwdriver...

image.png.a776603651cec242b950508c9b7768b3.png

They go for about £50 on eBay now.

• 6 months later...
On 16/08/2020 at 18:12, Number 28 said:

image.png.62e3f5a2c6557d39b1a94162efb8ff4a.png

I dusted this baby off not long ago, from the year 2000. The Ni-Cad battery inside had leaked everywhere and corroded the connections but I successfully scraped it all off and it works fine. I added a new Ni-MH AA rechargeable battery and it charged up, no problems. I think the battery life should actually be better these days? I wish I could do something about the yellowing of the grey plastic and the dust in the digital display, but there's probably not a solution that doesn't involve dismantling it.

I'm surprised how good it sounds, despite me putting together the minidiscs in the crudest way possible. This was before you could upload to minidisc as data (that became a thing later right?), so I had to link it to my PC via 3.5mm audio jack, manually play mp3s (probably 128 bit) on my PC and hit record on the player. I only bothered adding track names for the first few discs then predictably got too lazy.

I took it on a whirl up to the shops and quickly realised that the music can cut out if you move too much, a lot like a CD walkman, but not so extreme. I had completely forgotten about that small drawback. Joggers were still using cassettes at this time, I suppose.

Anyway, it would be nice to knock up new minidiscs. Somebody really should've invented a minidisc drive you can attach to your PC that lets you stick the data straight on there via some kind of app, but I don't think that exists. Is my old method the only way? The LINE IN port says (OPTICAL) under it, but it's a 3.5mm audio jack port? I have no idea.

Didn't notice this thread before today. I did dig my old player out 3 years ago though.

www.instagram.com/p/BfJaqxMFxxP/?igshid=1dyxayvwf4l15

(Can we not embed from Instagram anymore?)

Haven't used it again since then. I had the same battery problem.

On 17/08/2020 at 01:53, Number 28 said:

Damn, those drives must be gold dust now, like a Nintendo Playstation... 1:1 with a stereo jack it is, and I'll add the track markings afterwards I think. Thanks for the info. :)

My player came with a particularly cheap remote (others had their own digital screen) and unfortunately some of the buttons became jammed and it doesn't work properly. But I was never much of a fan of using it, so oh well. I might try to open it up and have a tinker, but I need a very tiny screwdriver...

image.png.a776603651cec242b950508c9b7768b3.png

They go for about £50 on eBay now.

Hang on, WHAT!?! I'm going straight to the 'cupboard of shame' to check mine still works! Then to eBay to check prices.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I’ve got really into minidisc recently. What a wonderful music format! I had a junked up MZR55 turn up today sold as faulty for a few quid, but brought back to life with some isopropyl and vinegar and a new battery. 

I’ve bought some new minidiscs being released as vaporwave which are fun and hunted down some original releases like Bat out of Hell.

I adore the look of the MZE10 but they are hard to find, does anyone have one?

2 minutes ago, erhgiez said:

I’ve got really into minidisc recently. What a wonderful music format! I had a junked up MZR55 turn up today sold as faulty for a few quid, but brought back to life with some isopropyl and vinegar and a new battery. 

I’ve bought some new minidiscs being released as vaporwave which are fun and hunted down some original releases like Bat out of Hell.

I adore the look of the MZE10 but they are hard to find, does anyone have one?

I had a MZ-R55 back in the day, loved it. Think about picking another one up myself every now and again.

• 4 months later...
18 hours ago, Ste_S said:

I'm tempted to pick up a minidisc deck as I miss making mix/compliation discs. Anything I should be wary of, or look out for?

I picked up several portables and a couple of decks from Facebook Marketplace for cheap during lockdown but these seem to have either dried up or, like everything else, risen significantly in price. 

Generally I would say

- stick with Sony for reliability. 

- ask yourself if you need a deck or whether a portable would suffice.

- if you intend titling your discs or individual tracks, a Net MD model will make this much easier. 

- find a model with optical in for recording, assuming your source will have optical out. 

- get an MDLP model unless you aren't fussed about writing more than 74mins of music to a single MD. For compilations, LP2 is perfect. 

Can't think of anything else. I can probably help with a portable or some blank discs if you do go that route. I really do still have too many. 

4 hours ago, MagicalDrop said:

I've added a Sony R501 Portable Minidisc Recorder bundle to the For Sale folder if anyone wants to get into the format. 

Doh! Have just this afternoon brought a Sony deck on eBay, otherwise I would have had that off you. 

If anyone has any surplus minidiscs they want rid of, I’d be interested in purchasing.

A question for those of you using minidisc at the moment- can you record digitally from a streamer to a minidisc? I have an airport express with an optical out.

18 minutes ago, Ste_S said:

A question for those of you using minidisc at the moment- can you record digitally from a streamer to a minidisc? I have an airport express with an optical out.

I record digitally via optical to mine. What deck have you bought by the way?

29 minutes ago, Ste_S said:

If anyone has any surplus minidiscs they want rid of, I’d be interested in purchasing.

You'll be needing a portable to listen to your MDs on the move then ;)

I have a lot of these blanks. All used but in excellent condition and nice jewel cases. Red, blue, green, yellow or clear. Asking £10 for 6.

Screenshot_20220731_184619.jpg

3 hours ago, cubik said:

I record digitally via optical to mine. What deck have you bought by the way?

Sony MDS-JE480, one of the later decks I think? There's some optimistic prices on ebay for them, I got one for a realistic price with a remote (which seems to be a rarity).

3 hours ago, MagicalDrop said:

You'll be needing a portable to listen to your MDs on the move then ;)

I have a lot of these blanks. All used but in excellent condition and nice jewel cases. Red, blue, green, yellow or clear. Asking £10 for 6.

Screenshot_20220731_184619.jpg

Not ruling out getting a portable player, but it's hard to move past the conveniance of a phone and bluetooth headphones when out and about. Primarily wanted it for making mix tapes discs, and compilations of 12" vinyl, something I miss doing.  

The Sony deck has turned up. Positives- it sounds great and is fun to use. Negatives- recording only (very) intermittently works, so it's back to the seller.

If anyone has a working Sony MDS-JE480 (with remote) they want to part with, let me know...

I found my wife’s old MiniDisc player the other week, which I’d bought back in about 2004. Now I totally get why they were great back then (apart from Sony ‘s usual shit software). But here’s a genuine question, what’s the benefits of using a minidisc player now? I’m just curious, I can understand why people listen to vinyl (warmer sound, authentic and tangible packaging), but I’m curious what the benefits of minidiscs are? My wife mostly used them for making up her own “mix tape” minidiscs or for playing songs downloaded from usenet, are there any benefits of the format in 2022?