Rllmuk Top 100 games of our times: 2017 - VOTING CLOSED

This will potentially dramatically affect the outcome of the final results  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 04/09/2017 at 22:02, acidbearboy said:

I am really struggling to order these as 'best' so I'm going to give up and just order them as 'favourite'.

1. Phantasy Star Online

If I could only play one game for the rest of my days it would be this. I played it solidly for about 5 years through each iteration on the Dreamcast and Gamecube, then again on Xbox Live. In more recent years I have regularly dipped into PSO Blue Burst on the PC via private servers. The higher resolution really shows off the detail in the graphics. The choice of bite size games or epic adventures means you can enjoy it for minutes or hours to suit. The music is sublime and brings back many happy memories from days gone by. But most of all, playing it is like slipping into an old pair of slippers - proper comfort gaming. And dispite playing it for 15 years, there's plenty I haven't accomplished - that elusive lv.200, beating the game on Ultimate, finding all the rares, breeding all the mags types, trying all the quests. 

2. Tetris

Tetris is the best videogame ever made Everything about it is so perfect. The original Game Boy version is my favourite - the shape and feel of the DMG-001 is like an extention of the game itself. Satisfying to hold, satisfying to play. A marriage made in heaven.

3. Super Mario Kart

Yeah, I still like the original the best. 64 was ugly fun, Super Circuit was a mini miracle, and as much as I enjoyed MK8, it all felt a bit too flashy. SMK was raw. It was about pushing hard around every corner, every twist and turn. GP Mode, Time Trial, Battle Mode - all brilliant fun. Really tight controls, one of the most memorable soundtracks of the era and the graphics, well they haven't aged brilliantly, but they're alright. A multiplayer favourite for 25 years and I can't think of anything I'd rather play with friends.

4. Ico

5. OutRun 2006: Coast to Coast

6. Geometry Wars 2: Retro Evolved

7. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

8. Rez
9. Wipeout 3 Special Edition

10. F-Zero (SNES)

11. Super Castlevania IV

12. Final Fantasy VII

13. Resident Evil 2

14. Metal Gear Solid + VR Missions
15. Streets of Rage 2

15. Super Metroid

17. Everybody’s Golf (PSP)

18. Ridge Racers (PSP)

19. Pac Man VS.

20. Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Have amended my list to specify Outrun 2006 and Everybody's Golf (psp). No change in positions. 

1. Super Mario World (SNES) 
2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) 
3. Super Mario Kart (SNES) 
4. Super Metroid (SNES) 
5. The Last of Us (PS3) 
6. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (NDS) 
7. Advance Wars (GBA) 
8. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS) 
9. Batman: Arkham Asylum (360)
10. Bloodborne (PS4) 
11. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (360)
12. Tetris (GB) 
13. Persona 4 Golden (Vita) 
14. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) 

15. Metal Gear Solid (PS) 

16. Everybody's Golf 2 (PSP) 
17. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) 
18. Forza Horizon 3 (XB1) 
19. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (360/XB1) 
20. Burnout Paradise (360)

Honourable mentions. 
Diablo III, Halo 3, Hotline Miami, Pinball Fantasies, Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge, Metroid: Zero Mission, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan, Resident Evil, Ridge Racer, Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting, Super Bomberman, Super Mario Bros. 3, Yakuza 0.

1. Halo 3
2. Project Gotham Racing 4
3. Rock Band 3
4. mushihimesama futari 1.5
5. ketsui
6. Zelda twilight princess
7. Ouendan
8. Zelda breath of the wild
9. Persona 4
10. Pikmin 3
11. Halo reach
12. Dishonored
13. Rez
14. wave race 64
15. Dirt Rally
16. Splatoon 2
17. Super Monkey Ball
18. Destiny
19. Mario Kart 8
20. Persona 4 dancing all night

this was difficult, if someone asked me what the best game ever was i'd still say Deus Ex, but does it stand up today, i don't know i haven't played it in 15 years or so, similar for best rally game and colim mcrae rally 2, and a lot of racing games i used to play. so i just decided to leave off stuff i'm not sure about and haven't played in years. stuff missed out below is just as good as stuff above.

Spoiler

dodonpachi dai ou jou
deus ex
witcher 2
mr driller
minesweeper
sokoban
Death Tank Zwei
grand prix 2
Colin McRae Rally 2
zelda links awakening
wipeout hd
super mario kart
titan fall 2
jungle beats
Mass Effect 2, 

ikaruga, 
espgaluda 2, 
armed police batrider, 
shikigami no shiro 2, 
dodonpachi, 
guwange, 
portal, 
Wipeout 3
Frequency, 
Amplitude, 
Guitar Hero 2, 
Jet Set Radio, 
RBR, 
GPL, 
KOTOR, 
Child Of Eden, 
Mario 64, 
Mario Sunshine, 
Mario Galaxy, 
Mirrors Edge, 
Tetris, 
Ridge Racer 6, 
Samba De Amigo, 
PGR 3, 
Forza Horizon, 
Forza 3/4, 
Gran Turismo 2/4, 
Deus Ex 3, 
Excite Bike 64, 
super meat boy
the witness

persona 5

dishonoured 2

mgs v

1. Super Mario World (SNES)

2. Rez (DC/PS2/360)

3. Resident Evil 4 (GC)

4. Half Life 2 (PC/Orange Box)

5. Portal 2 (PS3)

6. Zelda : A Link to the Past (SNES)

7. Bioshock (360)

8. Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2/PS3)

9. Wii Sports Resort (Wii)

10. Grand Theft Auto V (PS3/PS4)

11. Ico (PS2/PS3)

12. Parappa the Rapper (Playstation)

13. Jet Set Radio (DC/PS3)

14. Daytona USA (Arcade/DC/PS3)

15. Crackdown (360)

16. Tony Hawk's Underground 2: Remix (PSP)

17. Bust-A-Move 2 (Playstation)

18. Rabbids Go Home! (Wii)

19. Mario Kart 8 (WiiU)

20. Wipeout HD/Fury (PS3 3D)

Others in my shortlist :

Winning Eleven 7: International (PS2)

House of the Dead 2 (Arcade/DC)

Zombies Ate My Neighbours (SNES)

Flatout: UC (360)

Bomb Jack (Arcade/C64)

Tetris (Gameboy)

Catherine (PS3)

Tomena Sanner (Wii)

Burnout Revenge (360)

Katamari Damacy (PS2)

Sonic 2 (MD)

Everybody's Golf (PSP)

Lumines (PSP)

The Secret of Monkey Island 2 (Amiga)

MaternalBound (SNES) - this is a romhack of Earthbound which restores changes from the JP Mother 2, and adds a run button. It would have been in my top 20, but I don't think romhacks should count. Regardless, it makes one of the best games of all time even better.

Saints Row 3 (PS3)

1. Halo: Combat Evolved

2. Resident Evil 4

3. Metroid Prime

4. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

5. Super Mario Galaxy 2

6. The Last of Us

7. Geometry Wars 2

8. Rock Band 3

9. Far Cry 2

10. The Eidolon

11. Paradroid

12. Mass Effect

13. Resident Evil 2

14. Silent Hill 2

15. Condemned

16. Half Life 2

17. Metal Gear Solid 3

18. Halo 3: ODST

19. Shenmue 2

20. Rez

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2

2. Super Mario 64

3. Super Mario Galaxy

4. Super Mario Kart

5. Yoshi's Island

6. Animal Crossing: New Leaf

7. Xenoblade Chronicles

8. Wave Race 64

9. Pokemon Blue/Red/Yellow

10. Rez Infinite

11. Mario Kart 8

12. Zelda: Ocarina of Time

13. F-Zero X

14. Burnout 2

15. Portal

16. Super Mario Sunshine

17. Zelda: Wind Waker

18. WarioWare Twisted

19. Killer Instinct (SNES)

20. Ico

# Top 20
1. World of Warcraft
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. OSU! Takate! Ouendan!
4. Phoenix Wright
5. Zelda: Link to the Past
6. Pikmin 2
7. Viva Piñata : Trouble in Paradise
8. Okami
9. Valkyrie Chronicles
10. Starfox 64
11. Monster Hunter 4U
12. Mario Kart 8
13. Tales of Vesperia
14. Everybody’s Golf (PSP)
15. Street Fighter Alpha 3
16. Metal Gear Solid 2
17. Advanced Wars
18. Fire Emblem (GBA)
19. Metal Slug X
20. Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire 

Just in time!

1. Fallout 3
2. Resident Evil 4
3. Super Mario Galaxy
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
5. Spelunky 
6. Solomon's Key
7. Mario Kart 64
8. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
9. Halo: Combat Evolved 
10. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward 
11. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 
12. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 
13. Bloodborne
14. Portal
15. Chrono Trigger
16. What Remains of Edith Finch
17. Batman: Arkham City
18. Bioshock
19. VR Worlds
20. Pokemon Red/Blue

Just in the nick of time!

1. Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions (Square Enix - PSP, 2007)

Specifically the PSP edition with the cell-shaded cutscenes and refined translation, this is the finest political-fantasy melodrama in videogames. A really solid tactical strategy game with an amazingly well-developed hero/anti-hero duo in Ramza and Delita, its one of those rare occurrences where the quality of the gameplay matches the quality of the script. Just remember to make a second save before the Wiegraf fight.

2. Shenmue (SEGA - Dreamcast, 2001)

That ending theme. That 100 man fight. That main antagonist and his intro. That time you were just waiting for a bus to get to the harbour so you could start your fork-lift truck part-time job. It sounds really cheesy and yet is absolutely true that playing Shenmue as an impressionable 17 year old in 2000 changed my outlook on things. Just an incredible experience.

3. The World Ends With You (Square Enix – NDS, 2008)

The best JRPG Squenix have made. What starts out as the most eye-rollingly anime weeaboo introduction to a game ever turns into quite a poignant little story about growing up, peer pressure, status anxiety and what happens when we die. This story just so happens to be paired with a unique, addictive battle system and gameplay that makes use of every single one  of the DS's features. Helps that the OST is, as Neku would probably say, 'god-tier'.

4. Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward (Chunsoft – 3DS, 2012)

Oh man. Kerblammo. Glad to see this mentioned before by a few of us, for good reason! Take a visual novel. Add some popular arm-chair philosophy, quantum mechanics and an Egyptian mummy who's pretty much naked for the whole game for some reason. Then add a twisty-turny plot and a central device that means this plot would not make sense in any other medium than videogame form. The final 30 minutes will melt your brain.

5. Deus Ex (Ion Storm, Eidos – PC, 2000)

So sad to see that this series is now pretty much dead, but then I guess we should be glad that it continued at all. Deus Ex does cyberpunk like no other game, and the locales you explore, as well as the huge range of customisation options make this immersive sim the most immersive of them all. Quickly Youtube 'Synapse', the Hong Kong street theme. Saturday night, sorted.

6. Metroid Prime (Retro Studios, Nintendo – GCN, 2002)

Metroid in 3D, they said. An absolute shower of shit waiting to happen, they said. Still the best Metroid. It shares with Bloodborne the sound idea of working for your background lore, but essentially, it is Metroid in 3D. A triumph, and the GC's best game.

7. Bloodborne (FROM Software, Japan Studio – PS4, 2015)

So good.

8. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo EAD, Nintendo – Wii, 2010)

The best game to my mind that Nintendo EAD have made. Takes everything that made Galaxy a success and amplifies it by bringing action to the fore. Compared to Galaxy it's fast-paced - no time to gather your thoughts here (the end of Slimy Spring Galaxy excepted), and it's the best 3D platformer action that Nintendo have made. Mazza.

9. Journey (That Game Company, SCE Santa Monica – PS4, 2015)

Journey made me cry! At 33 years old! I couldn't help it, the visuals and the music and the empathy and compassion shown by your little singing friend by your side. That crescendo as you approach your destination. It's not much of a game I suppose, a walking sim with light platforming elements. And yet it's definitely one of the most emotionally-involving experiences I've had in the medium.

10. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Nintendo – GCN, 2002)

Controversial, but to my eyes the best Zelda game (I haven't played BotW yet). The art-style helps of course, but it's the atmosphere and charm of the package that push it to the front. It helps that the final dungeon, fights and ending leave such a good impression. It's a lot more memorable than Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.

11. Yakuza 0 (so almost in my top ten!) (PS4)

12. Little Big Adventure 2 (PC)

13. Shining Force 2 (MD)

14. The Secret of Monkey Island (PC)

15. Streets of Rage 2 (MD)

16. Phantasy Star Online (DC)

17. Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (GB)

18. Sonic 3 & Knuckles (MD)

19. Nioh (PS4)

20. Bangai-O (DC)

1. Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
3. Super Mario Galaxy
4. Chrono Trigger
5. Advance Wars
6. Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan
7. Overwatch
8. XCOM 2: War of the Chosen
9. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
10. Resident Evil 4
11. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
12. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls
13. Sid Meier’s Civilization VI
14. Divinity: Original Sin II
15. Tetris
16. Resident Evil (GC remake)
17. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
18. Bayonetta
19. Counter-Strike (1.6)
20. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Any chance you could sneak a late on in, Benny? All apologies, was working on my write ups for each and forgot October started today! 

1. Mass Effect 2

2. Halo: Reach

3. Super Mario World

4. Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 

5. Final Fantasy 7 

6. Shadow of the Colossus 

7. Dark Souls 2 

8. MGS3

9. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

10. Grand Theft Auto 4

11. Destiny

12. The Beatles: Rock Band

13. The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion

14. Pro Evolution Soccer 6

15. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

16. Burnout 2

17. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

18. The Last Guardian

19. Rez: Infinite

20. Halo CE

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

Any appetite for doing a similar thread for hardware? What is the forum's favoured system of all time?

The SNES obviously.

There, I've saved someone hours of their life.

@BitterToad I have added yours in as I had time this morning before finalising the list. I'm going out shortly so I will extend this grace period for anyone else who missed out and would like to submit a top 20. However, once I'm back tonight that will be the cut off point and I will accept nothing after that grace period.

Thanks for the extended deadline!

1. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the wild
  2. Bloodborne
  3. Dark Souls
  4. Starcraft 2
  5. World of Warcraft
  6. Super Mario World
  7. Secret of Mana
  8. Darkest Dungeon
  9. F Zero GX
  10. Super Mario Galaxy
  11. Advance Wars
  12. Divinity: Original Sin (haven't played the second one yet)
  13. Resident Evil 4
  14. Rock Band 3
  15. Xenoblade Chronicles
  16. Ikaruga
  17. Portal
  18. Pikmin 3
  19. Mario Kart 8
  20. Xcom 2

1. Bloodborne

2. Dark Souls

3. Demon's Souls

4. Castlevania Symphony of the Night

5. Metroid Prime

6. Ninja Gaiden Black

7. Shen Megami Tensei Nocturne

8. Super Mario World

9. Metal Gear Solid 3

10. Final Fantasy VII

11. Halo

12. Shadow of the Colossus

13. Resident Evil 4

14. The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker

15. The Witcher 3

16. King of Fighters 98

17. Last Guardian

18. Half-Life 2

19. Fallout 3

20. World of Warcraft

The order is actually a little random as it's impossible to rank them properly. All these games are special to me.

It is almost the same as the last time I did this.  I have left most of the text the same as well.

1. Minecraft
Somebody once said digital lego and it's absolutely true. Whether it's creating a massive build, exploring tech trees in mods, making up RP ideas on your own or playing on servers or minigames... it is pure creativity, a huge toolbox to play with. I can lose hrs in minecraft just casually opening a new map and doing some mining. It has maybe lost a bit of focus with fragmentation of versions but it is still perfect for me

2. Sensible world of soccer

The only football game I play and have played since release, I tried the Actua Soccers, the Fifas, the Pro evos etc etc and ditched them all after an hr or two. SWOS is perfect from the days where I spent all night playing drunken tournaments with mates in the 90s thru to casually playing a bit on emulator or real A1200 or 360 now its been my go to game for years. Perfect.

3. Tomb Raider
PS1 was my first console really, up until then it was all Vic20, C64, Amiga and a bit of PC. And this game just grabbed hold and wouldn't let go. More a puzzle/exploration game than first appears, St Francis' Folly is the perfect 3D jumping puzzle. The Dino is obviously a highlight but the way the game reveals huge vistas to you in such crude 3d technology is amazing. One of the very few PS1 games I return to regularly even though the "technically superior" anniversary exists

4. Space Giraffe

TxK is utterly fantastic but the uncompromising Space Giraffe just edges it for me as Minter's best game. I know the complaints and I know it's marmite but to me it is the best tunnel shooter. The game is a pure audio/visual experience, only by decoding both together and giving them the correct weight can you truly master it (I havent yet). Everything has its own audio cue and you need to know them otherwise you might say when you die "I didn't see what killed me"... and that is the point, you were meant to hear it

5. DOOM (new one)
I have replaced Quake 3 as I finally realised I just don't play it anymore. However this single player shooter is now the best I play by far. It is my "go to" PC FPS on mouse and keyboard.

6. Rock Band 3
I played every toy instrument game and they all spoke to the 13 yr old boy inside me who listened to iron maiden and played air guitar. Now the 44 yr old version can do a more sophisticated version of air guitar. This is the pinnacle, Rock band 4 didnt quite live upto it.

7. Speedball 2
The Amiga again and again hrs and hrs pumped into it.. I still play it regularly on Vita and 360 and emu etc. Future sports were never bettered, the tactics in this are sublime weighing up risk reward of multipliers, bounce and stars and goals. Or blow tactics and simply break the other team 1 by 1 for points. Add on to this a challenging (in the original game anyway) league and management option and you have another perfect sports game.

8. Paradroid
Even further back to the c64. A game that evokes a feeling of loneliness as you navigate a massive ship trying desperately to control or destroy the inhabitants to take control of the vessel. Both shooter and strategy all in one which was rare for it's time it also has great graphics, sound and responsiveness for a game of its time and again another one I boot up on emu regularly. Get this on Vita please.

9. Super Monkey Ball
The original GC game this time.. all and I mean all of the sequels were shit. I know because I played them all hoping for one to be as good as the original. I use the word perfect alot in this list but then it is 20 games distilled from nearly 40 years of playing games. This time the physics of the monkey in the ball and the sensitive and balanced controls make this perfect. the icing on the cake is the mini games but even without them I love this game and still play it on GC now. Sega's best game by a country mile.

10. Fable 2
A very personal one this as I recognise it is RPG-lite but I loved it for its simplicity and britishness that just infused the whole thing. Yes its cheesy but that's what makes it great for me. I do like RPGs but I tire of complicated systems in games as I lack time to master them so a more rollercoaster style RPG suits me... I almost included Mass Effect 2 instead/as well as but this one just edges it.

11. Monkey Island 2
The best "adventure" game ever made. Not the most sophisticated or most difficult or even the cleverest. However it is the most rounded and polished. I played loads of adventures from text to point n click and beyond to Telltale style and this one is the one I always want them to live upto.

12. Portal
I didn't include Half Life or its sequel as I felt, I dont know, I played them alot back in the day, but not so much recently and they feel "aged". Portal on the other hand feels timeless, it is short and snappy with great puzzles.

13. Bioshock
Simply put, the atmosphere of this completely bowled me over. The feeling of being under the sea tons of water weighing down on the walls and windows as you fashion tactics to work your way through the game. Great mechanics too.

14. Destiny 2
Halo used to sit here as my "dawn of the pad console" FPS game. It is now replaced by this which is the ultimate distillation of the look and feel of that game.

15. Forza Horizon2
I used to list PGR2 here but it's long in the tooth now and the online days are long gone. This is its replacement, it is gorgeous and handles brilliantly with a pad I love to just tool around in it.

16. Elite
The C64 version, I have played the new one and it hasn't replaced it (neither did Frontier ). Pure space exploration, making up your own backstory and plot, deciding how to live in space with noone else there except pirates,police and traders plying their silent trade across the void. No man's sky might well replace it but I need some more hrs with latest version to decide.

17. Final Fantasy 7
Oh yes another RPG, the only JRPG I played to completion and played alot since. Loved the story, the gameplay, turn based combat etc. Tried to play the others , found them too samey or inferior and so this one sticks out

18. Super MarioLand
Ahhhh the Gameboy a great little machine. And I played this for hrs and hrs , its the only mario game on my list (I have owned all the nintendo platforms at some stage and played most mario games but none grabbed me enough to make my list). Its the immediacy and pick up and playness that I love and if someone gave me a gameboy now I'd still just stick with two carts, this and number 20

19. Geometry Wars Evolved

Best twin stick shooter for me hands down... pacifism is a work of genius/malevolence

20. Tetris
GB version. It's Tetris... that is all.

1. Wii Sports

2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

3. Super Metroid

4. Minecraft

5. Tapper

6. The Last Guardian

7. Super Mario Galaxy 2

8. Secret of Mana

9. Advance Wars

10. Yoshi's Island