Benny

Rllmuk Top 100 games of our times: 2017 - VOTING CLOSED

This will potentially dramatically affect the outcome of the final results  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

01 Zelda Breath of the Wild
02 Dark Souls
03 Metroid Prime
04 Zelda Ocarina of Time
05 Super Mario 64
06 Half-Life 2
07 Braid
08 Halo
09 Advance Wars
10 Portal
11 Journey
12 Hitman Blood Money
13 The Witness
14 Splatoon
15 Resident Evil 4
16 Zelda Majora's Mask
17 Dishonored
18 Solomon's Key
19 Super Mario Galaxy 2
20 Metroid Fusion

Lists <3

Hon mens: Link to the Past, Super Mario Bros 3, Lylat Wars, the Pokémon series, Deus Ex, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Maker, Goldeneye, Half-Life, Super Metroid, Super Monkey Ball, F-Zero GX

• Upvote 2

1. The Legend of Zelda Breath of The Wild

2. The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword

3. Dark Souls III

4. Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain

5. SOMA

6. Alien Isolation

7. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

8. Balloon Fight

9. Demon's Souls

10. ARMS

11. Doom II

12. The Last Guardian

13. Bloodborne

14. Elite Dangerous

15. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

16. Dark Souls

17. The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

18. Robotron

19. Wii Sports Resort

20. The Legend of Zelda A Link To The Past

21-100

Spoiler

21. Halo Combat Evolved

22. Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together

23. Super Metroid

24. Super Mario 64

25. Mario Kart 7

26. Advance Wars

27. Half-Life 2

28. Uncharted 4 A Thief's End

29. Cubello

30. GeoDefense 

31. Skyrim

32. Metroid Prime

33. The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess

34. The Last of Us

35. Silent Hill 2 

36. Condemned

37. Halo 5 Guardians

38. Everybody's Gone To The Rapture

39. Fez

40. Metroid Fusion

41. Final Fantasy Tactics War of The Lions

42. Mr. do! 

43. TxK 

44. The Evil Within

45. Shadow of Mordor

46. Batman Arkham Knight

47. Super Mario World

48. No Man's Sky

49. F Zero X

50. Manhunt

51. Mario Tennis (N64)

52. GTA V

53. Star Wars Battlefront (2015)

54. The Witness

55. Super Monkey Ball

56. Defender

57. Super Mario Galaxy

58. Axiom Verge

59. Doom (original)

60. Crysis

61. Super Street Fighter II Turbo

62. WipeOut HD/Fury

63. Dark Souls II

64, Uncharted 2

65. Minecraft

66. Rocket League

67. Outlast

68. Cave Story

69. Splinter Cell Blacklist

70. Dragon Quest VIII

71. Yoshi Touch n Go

72. Luigi's Mansion

73. Advance Wars Days of Ruin

74. Metroid Prime 3 Corruption

75. Splatterhouse 

76. The Binding of Isaac

77. Ridge Racers (PSP)

78. Sega Rally 2

79. Rez

80. Shenmue

81. Shenmue II

82. Forgotten Worlds

83. Resident Evil 2

84. Guitar Hero

85. Tetris DX

86. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

87. Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes

88. ICO

89. Gradus V

90. Excite Truck

91. Fallout 3

92. Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater

93. Resident Evil 4

94. Metroid Zero Mission

95. Pilot Wings 64

96. Hotline Miami

97. Broken Sword

98. Super Tennis 

99. Castevania IV

100. The Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening

• Upvote 1

1. Advance Wars.

Will always be my number one. I've never played a game so perfectly balanced. Each sequel got progressively worse, but that doesn't detract from the first game.

2. Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

I was a bit reticent to place this so highly, but it truly is unparalleled in its word building. I've completed it twice and plan another run through at Christmas with the DLC.

3. Demon Souls.

Still my favourite of all the Souls games. While it lacks a cohesive world like Dark Souls, it has more memorable locations.

4. Xenoblade Chronicles

Still my favourite JRPG. It's easy to see MonolithSoft's touch in Breath of the Wild after playing this. And the soundtrack is fantastic.

5. Rock Band 3

Far better on track playlist than 4 and the Pro Guitar and Keys are sorely missed. 

6. Portal

7. Zelda: Link to the Past

8. Super Mario Galaxy

9. Vanquish

10. Mass Effect

11. Rogue Legacy

12. Stardew Valley

13. Disgaea

14.  Super Mario World

15. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King

16. Bloodborne

17. Metroid Prime

18. Shadow of the Colossus

19. Undertale

20. Super Monkey Ball

• Upvote 3

1. Iridis Alpha

Simple really - there's still nothing else with such a perfect blend of unique and bizarre gameplay elements that somehow work together and make it so much fun to play. I'm waiting for a shooter to come along and do something just as bonkers...
2. Persona 4 Golden (final placing: 27)

P3 kind of got shoved out of my 20, and P5 had a few rough edges and pacing issues, but this is still - most of the time, anyway - perfectly formed. A great battle system, likeable characters, lots to do and dungeons that are challenging without slowing the pace of the game.
3. Rhythm Tengoku  (final placing: 175)

Like IA this is a game that pretty much stands alone without a whole lot of competition outside of other games in the series. The DS game is okay and I haven't tried the home console versions, but the GBA title takes the spot here for having the best minigames and the least fluff
4. Wario Ware Inc (final placing: 91)

Fine, so it can't match RT's unique blend of rhythm and minigaming but this is every bit as fun and humourous, and it's as much of a tribute to videogaming culture as it is a fun game. Again, I've tried Twisted and Touched but the original is still my favourite.
5. Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike (final placing: 66)

Placing this above Ultra IV was a bit of a tough call - I put dozens of hours into that game, but 3rd Strike just feels snappier and more energetic, and matches always seem more exciting and fun in a way that hasn't been matched in the later Street Fighters...
6. Bloodborne (final placing: 11)

Is anyone even able to talk about Bloodborne without talking about those other difficult From Software titles that rhyme with Park Bowls? It's a shame, because BB has enough unique touches to stand tall on its own, and changes that DS fans glossed over were transformative for someone like me.
7. Ultra Street Fighter IV (final placing: 76)

See, I do still like this game! It's the final product of a game that's gone through several iterations, gaining a host of new characters and even entire gameplay mechanics like red focus, and it's always a pleasure to play with fellow fightmans from the forum.
8. Super Mario World (final placing: 3)

As I grew up with a Mega Drive, I was a little late playing Super Mario World. However, it took even longer for me to get around to Star Road and the Special World, which still feel like the best reward in what was already a glorious platform game (granted, I did this on the GBA game, but at least I wasn't emulating :P
9. Kirby's Adventure

Whilst other games in the Kirby franchise have used weird doodle mechanics or co-op buddy systems, the purity of Adventure is still unmatched, and it's perhaps the best celebration of the platform game power-up around. Want to breathe fire, shoot lasers, roll into foes, sing and more? Why not?
10. Tetris (final placing: 17)

Obvious entry is obvious, but I'm still playing this today. Anyone can figure out how to play this, the difficulty curve is perfect, it has great risk/reward that comes from the measures taken to create a "tetris", it doesn't need the gimmicks that the clones have introduced, and the music got turned into a bad rave tune?
11. Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast (final placing: 37)

There's got to be a reason for why I've bought about five versions of Outrun 2/006 (Xbox OR2, PC C2C, PSP C2C, PS2 C2C, OOA.) It's classic time attack racing that is a joy to experience thanks to the ace drift handling, those gorgeous backdrops and those classic tunes. I'm still hoping for someone at Sega to forget about the Ferrari thing and announce "RunOut" or something for PS4 and Xbox One.
12. Hotline Miami

I kind of missed out on the pre-release hype for Hotline Miami but as a big fan of cactus' earlier work it was still on my radar. A game of one-hit kills, ultraviolence and panicked retreats, it's an exhilerating rush every time you play, and the action is joined by a superb soundtrack and wonderful retro neon aesthetic. (The sequel was a bit of a letdown but it still has its moments)
13. Rez Infinite (final placing: 13)

Rez originally took the on-rails shooter, wrapped it in a wireframe aesthetic, gave it a techno soundtrack and delayed enemy hits just enough to make you feel like you were making sweet tunes whilst guiding your avatar through cyberspace. Infinite makes the player the avatar, and is the ultimate version of the game until we end up literally wiring our heads into the mainframe or some other goofy sci-fi shit.
14. Superbeat Xonic

Okay, touchscreen rhythm games have been done before, but Xonic realised that putting the touch bits on the edges of the screen stops you from obscuring your own gameplay, and so it's a lot more sensible in that respect. Plus it's just a whole lot of fun - the soundtrack has some typical bemani cheese but drumming out patterns on the Vita screen will never stop being satisfying.
15. TxK (final placing: 170)

LOLOLOL BUT DOESN'T JEFF JUST RELEASE THE SAME GAME OVER AND -whatever. It's not his fault that no-one else sees "tube shooter" as more of a genre than anything, and this is one of the best. Spectacular presentation, awesome music and gameplay that never lets you pause to catch your breath. I'm so glad that Jeff has the chance to do it again with Tempest 4000.
16. Nier Automata

The newest game in my top 20, Nier Automata takes the original, polishes most of the rough edges and delivers something truly special. RPG exploration, customisation and sidequesting, with the kind of brilliant, bizarre narrative you'd expect from a Nier game, but with Platinum gameplay removing most of the jank. Scrub away the preconceptions of this being character action (it's not) and you'll be able to enjoy a solid and memorable action RPG.
17. Final Fantasy XII (final placing: 60)

Weirdly, I missed out on this first time around but ended up playing through it less than a month before Zodiac Age was announced. Gameplay mechanics that might seem unusual to fans of classic FF ultimately transform the experience - gambit tweaking is almost a game in itself, building up a solid set of licences is rewarding, and the Zodiac Job stuff is a great touch.
18. Portal (final placing: 21)

Try and forget the fact that people ran the cake memes and Still Alive into the ground within weeks - this is still a great puzzler that took some interesting technology, created a set of ingenious puzzles around it and then wrapped the whole thing up in a cute but disturbing narrative. Anyone can understand the rules in moments and it never outstays its welcome. Uh, I still haven't played the second one though...
19. Nights into Dreams (final placing: 41)

What I thought was just a title Sega fans threw around in a fit of nostalgia is actually a uniquely refreshing experience. Fluid and fast movement that propels you around vivid environments in glorious 2.5D, combined with a great score-attack format with plenty of replay value as you try your best to chain together orbs and rings and go for those high ranks.
20. Half-Life 2 (final placing: 14)

Admittedly, it looks just a tiny bit dated now, but originally this had it all - an interesting story to tell, a fantastic setting, some great characters, groundbreaking gameplay... even some of the music was pretty catchy. Again, I think this is something I own several copies of, thanks to console releases and The Orange Box, but it's still something of a classic for me.

Also-rans from my initial shortlist:

Spoiler

Undertale, Ghost Trick, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Persona 4 Ultimax, Persona 3 Portable, Rock Band 3, Thunderforce III, Um Jammer Lammy, Rainbow Islands, Jet Set Radio Future, The World Ends With You, DJ Hero 2, Bayonetta, Half-Minute Hero, Viewtiful Joe, Mega Man 2, Mega Man X, Turrican 2, Speedball 2, Garou: Mark of the Wolves, Sorcery Saga, Virtue's Last Reward, Catherine, Bust A Groove, Grand Theft Auto V, Great 1000 Miles Rally, Gradius, Brawlhalla, Persona 5

Comparative placings vs my list from 2015:

1 (1) Iridis Alpha

2 (2) Persona 4 Golden
3 (6) Rhythm Tengoku
4 (9) Wario Ware Inc

5 (7) Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike

6 (N) Bloodborne

7 (4) Ultra Street Fighter IV

8 (8) Super Mario World

9 (13) Kirby's Adventure

10 (12) Tetris

11 (N) Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast

12 (11) Hotline Miami

13 (N) Rez Infinite

14 (N) Superbeat Xonic

15 (N) TxK

16 (N) Nier Automata

17 (N) Final Fantasy XII
18 (N) Portal
19 (20) Nights into Dreams

20 (N) Half-Life 2

• Upvote 7

01 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

02 Mr. Do!

03 Animal Crossing: New Leaf 

04 Dishonored 2

05 Dishonored 

06 Wave Race 64

07 Halo 3: ODST

08 Bangai-O

09 Half-Life 2

10 Mark of the Ninja

11 Prey (Arkane Studios)

12 Rise of the Tomb Raider

13 Red Dead Redemption

14 Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

15 The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

16 Halo Combat Evolved

17 Portal 2

18 The Last of Us

19 Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

20 Space Invaders: Attack of the Lunar Loonies

• Upvote 3

1. Zelda: BotW
  2. Perfect Dark
  3. Zelda: LttP
  4. World of Warcraft / The Burning Crusade / Wrath of the Lich King (Basically the first four years of WoW before it became terrible)
  5. NiGHTS
  6. Super Mario World
  7. Zelda: Majora's Mask
  8. Super Mario 64
  9. Zelda: OoT
  10. Final Fantasy XI
  11. Bayonetta
  12. Metroid Prime Trilogy
  13. Final Fantasy VI
  14. F-Zero GX
  15. Final Fantasy VII
  16. Street Fighter III: Third Strike
  17. Resident Evil 2
  18. Castlevania: SotN
  19. Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
  20. Resident Evil 4
  21. Zelda: Links Awakening
  22. Street Fighter Zero 2
  23. Sin & Punishment 2
  24. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (requires mods to hit this spot, otherwise not top 100 material)
  25. Virtua Fighter 2
  26. Daytona USA
  27. King of Fighters '99
  28. The Wonderful 101
  29. Super Metroid
  30. Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
  31. 1080 Snowboarding
  32. King of Fighters '98
  33. R-Type
  34. Quake 3 Arena
  35. F-Zero for Gameboy Advance
  36. Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2
  37. Virtua Fighter 5: FS
  38. Sega Rally
  39. Metal Gear Solid
  40. Chrono Trigger
  41. Virtua Fighter 4: Evo
  42. Viewtiful Joe
  43. SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millenium
  44. Area 88 / UN Squadron
  45. Resident Evil Code: VERONICA
  46. Virtua Fighter 3TB
  47. Street Fighter Zero 3
  48. Metal Slug / X / 3
  49. Gradius V
  50. Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter
  51. Super Mario Galaxy
  52. Power Stone
  53. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
  54. F-Zero
  55. Final Fight
  56. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
  57. Splatoon 2
  58. Advance Wars series
  59. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  60. Samurai Shodown II
  61. Zelda: Twilight Princess
  62. Alien vs. Predator (Capcom 1994)
  63. Starcraft II
  64. Lost Planet
  65. Pikmin
  66. Devil May Cry III
  67. F-Zero X
  68. Tekken 3
  69. DOOM + DOOM II
  70. Banjo Kazooie
  71. Ridge Racers
  72. Pilotwings
  73. Phantasy Star Universe
  74. Counter Strike: Global Offensive
  75. Super Smash Bros. Wii U
  76. Quake
  77. Double Dragon II
  78. Duck Hunt
  79. Unreal Tournament
  80. Starfox 64
  81. Fatal Fury Special
  82. DoDonPachi: Resurrection
  83. Ogre Battle 64
  84. Tekken 2
  85. World of Goo
  86. Arms
  87. New Super Mario Bros U
  88. Illusion of Time
  89. Ridge Racer Revolution
  90. Garou Mark of the Wolves
  91. Bloodborne
  92. Final Fantasy: Crisis Core
  93. Vanquish
  94. The Dig
  95. Wii Sports
  96. Monkey Island 1-3
  97. Guitaroo Man
  98. Half-Life 2
  99. Fire Emblem: Awakening
  100. Wipeout 2097
  101. League of Legends
  102. Fallout 3
  103. Terranigma
  104. Mad World
  105. Championship Manager 97/98

There is still so much greatness missing from my list. :( Tons of stuff I've yet to play, too... (Super Mario Galaxy 2, Sonic Mania, Rocket League, etc.)
  • Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1

I found this list quite difficult to come up with, and even more difficult to order. The idea that these games had to be ones I'd play now and still think they were among the best games I'd ever played was what threw me, mainly because there are some games in my top 20 that I haven't replayed in years (and some which I don't want to replay, for fear of ruining my memories). In the list below, therefore, the older games are the ones that (I'd presume) would stand the test of time, and be just as good now as when they first came out, although this is understandably difficult to judge seeing as I haven't played some of them recently:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

I'm not sure that this is my favourite ever game, but it's certainly my game of the year and probably the most fun you can have with a video game console right now.

2. FF VII

This is my go to 'Favourite ever' game, but the truth is I haven't played it in about ten years. I've been tempted to get it on the PS4, but I don't want to find fault in it when my memories of playing it (and playing it and playing it and playing it) as an adolescent are so perfect. However, if I came to it today, I'm not sure if there's anything about it that would prevent it from being brilliant, if you could look past the graphics. The battle system, game world and music would be just as excellent now as they were in 1997.

3. The  Last of Us

It has its detractors, but I thought this was brilliant, from start to finish - a game that is excellent, in part, because of its story, not in spite of it, is a rare thing indeed. And the survival horror gameplay was superb, too.

4. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

The best MGS: more creative and empowering than 1 and more structured and coherent than V.

5. Dark Souls

This is an older game that I have played in the last twelve months, and although I think DSIII and Bloodborne improve on a lot of the mechanics, the effortlessly brilliant level/world design and lore set it above the more recent games for me.

6. Shadow of the Colossus

Probably the most affecting game I've ever played, and it speaks volumes that the recently-announced reboot is my most anticipated game for next year.

7. Half-Life 2

Not one I've played recently, admittedly, but seeing as it was so fresh when it was first released, I can't imagine that it would feel especially dated to play now. The narrative and game world are just as intriguing as they were in 2004.

8. Mario Kart 8

The best racing game.

9. Inside

Short, but the most brilliantly horrible game I've ever played. Utterly compelling from beginning to end.

10. Fez

"Jesus, that's so fucking clever!" The Game.

11. Bloodborne

I've only actually played through Bloodborne, and The Old Hunters, once, probably because I found one run through exhausting enough. This is the best non-fighting fighting game I've ever played.

12. The Witcher III

The epitome of Western RPGs.

13. The Witness

"Jesus, my brain hurts!" The Game.

14. Persona 4: Golden

The best modern JRPG, and much better than P5.

15. Portal

Although Portal 2's puzzles were probably the more creative, I still think the purity of the first game makes it best. Discovering Ratman's dens still has the power to amaze.

16. The Last Guardian

Everything I could have hoped for in a sequel to SotC. I'm so surprised and happy that it managed to come into being.

17. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Excepting P4, this is my favourite handheld game. The way it let you rent the weapons and tackle the dungeons in whatever order you liked, plus the 2D mechanic, was genius.

18. GTA V

I never really got GTA until I played this one. A brilliant, anarchic, sumptuous sandbox of darkly comic delights.

19. Skyrim

Until Breath of the Wild came along, there was no other game which encouraged and rewarded exploration more than this one.

20. Resi 4

I think Bloodborne may have taken its crown as the best action game ever made, but (excepting, possibly, Leon's movement speed whilst aiming) I can't see why it wouldn't still hold up today as a fantastically varied and fun adventure shooter. Another one I need to replay on the PS4.

Runners up, in no particular order:

Spoiler

Braid; Metroid Prime; Ocarina of Time; Skyward Sword;  Fallout 3; Bioshock; The Walking Dead: Season One; Windwaker; Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time; Super Mario Galaxy 2; Final Fantasy IX; Portal 2; Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age; Papers, Please; Arkham City; Ico; XCOM: Enemy Unknown

• Upvote 6

1.The Last of Us

2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

4. Deus Ex

5. Ico

6. Red Dead Redemption

7. Half-Life 2

8. Chrono Trigger

9. Halo: Combat Evolved

10. Resident Evil 4

11. World of Warcraft

12. Mass Effect 2

13. Super Mario World

14. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

15. Metroid Prime 

16. Metal Gear Solid

17. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

18. System Shock II

19. Final Fantasy VII

20. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

• Upvote 3

What a cool idea!  Time to bore you all.

1. Zelda Breath of the Wild

An absolute masterpiece - I've never been so involved in a world before.  Almost faultless.

2. Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim

I think I spent more time on this game than I have on any other game before or since.  I got 1000/1000 before they released any of the DLC which I was mega chuffed with, despite never really being an achievement hoarder - I just played it so much!!

3. Mass Effect 2

The best of the series.  The epitome of how to make a sequel. Pipping Streets of Rage 2 (which would have featured for nostalgic value but in reality I wouldn't play it for long these days).  The ending to 3 still grates somewhat but that can't take the shine off this title.  Amazing.

4. Grand Theft Auto V

I'm another who never really got into the GTA games until 5 came along.  And absolutely blew me away.

5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

The game that got me into multiplayer. I dread to think how many days I went to work after less than 4 hours sleep.  I'd have bought the remaster if it was a standalone release but thinking about it, would it sully the memories?

6. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Got this for my Amazon Fire Tablet a year or so ago and it's aged brilliantly.  Which will always happen with such a strong story.

7. Mario Kart 8

Bought for my kids.  Yeah, right.  It's brilliant.  Best racing game ever.

8. Red Dead Redemption

I always preferred this to GTA IV.  They got the atmosphere spot on and I'm on board for Day 1 when RDR 2 arrives.

9. Battlefield 1

Whereas CoD has stagnated, BF1 is the best current gen FPS for a good, solid multiplayer session with mates.

10. Uncharted 4

I had to add an Uncharted game to this list.  I love them.

11. Batman: Arkham City

So much fun from start to finish.  I rarely go back to a game after completing the campaign, but I went back and found all the collectibles etc on this as I enjoyed the exploring so much.

12. Forza Horizon 3

Stunning to look at, incredibly satisfying to play.

13. Lego Dimensions

Wasn't sure which Lego game to include, but this wins for the cool base unit, amusing story and the fact it's got Dr Who in it.

14. Streetfighter IV

I've not played V yet so this will be my SF entry.  Played since I was a kid - I've grown up with SF games and I love the fact it's still so great today.

15. Championship Manager 03/04

The one where I won the Champions League with Wolves for 6 consecutive years, and Morten Gamst Pedersen was the best player in the world (making this the least believable entry in my list so far beating dragons, magic stone tablets and dinosaurs shooting turtle shells from a moving go kart).  It got too complicated in latter years to the detriment of fun, so this is my vote for the CM/FM series.

16. Super Mario Galaxy

Wasn't sure whether to include this or SM3DW but chose Galaxy as it was so original and groundbreaking.  I've never played the sequel, much to my shame.

17. Assassins Creed Brotherhood

Black Flag is the best of the series for me, but I've chosen Brotherhood as it's set in Rome.  Climbing the Colosseum!  Amazing (I did my dissertation on it and was amazed by the detail of the map). 

18. Shadow of Mordor

A classic I never expected, a lot more depth to the gameplay than I'd ever thought possible in a LOTR game and lots of decapitating orcs.  Cool.

19. Halo MCC

Is it cheating to add the collection rather than an individual title?  I don't think I can choose between the original which made me sit up and take notice of the franchise, Halo 2 which for me was the pinnacle of the original Xbox, or Halo 3 which is one of the first online games I played (I spent loads of time at work the day after a long session checking the heat maps and stats from previous evenings!

20. God of War 3

I remember being mega stressed at work, then coming home and button bashing the shit out of this game which helped loads.  Deliciously OTT.

• Upvote 4

1. Zelda: Breath of the Wild

2. Mario Kart 64

3. Super Mario 64

4. Resident Evil 4

5. GTA V

6. Zelda: Majora's Mask

7. Super Mario World

8. Halo: CE (If it was of all time then Halo 3 because of the online MP but as a to play now I'd go for Halo CE as a better single player experience) 

9. The Last of Us

10. Tetris

11. Super Meat Boy

12. Portal 2

13. Zelda: Ocarina of Time 

14. Halo: ODST

15. Doom (2016)

16. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow 

17. Timespltters 2

18. Sonic Mania

19.  Marble Blast Ultra

20. Rocket League

Maybe, subject to change. 

1. Zelda BOTW

2. Mario 64

3. Goldeneye 007

4. Metroid Prime

5. ISS 64

6. Zelda OOT

7. Super Mario Galaxy

8. SWOS

9. Mario Kart 8

10. Super Metroid

11. Zelda ALTTP

12. Super Mario World

13. Zelda MM

14. Doom (2016 version)

15. Splatoon

16. Yoshis Island

17. F-Zero

18. Super Mario 3

19. Streetfighter 2

20. Zelda ALBW

1. Sonic 3 & Knuckles (MD)

2. Super Mario 64 (N64) 

3. Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) 

4. BIT.TRIP FLUX (Wii) 

5. Wiz 'n' Liz (MD) 

6. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver (DS) 

7. Worms Armageddon (PC) 

8. Streets of Rage (MD) 

9. Ikaruga (GC) 

10. Katamari Forever (PS3) 

11. Tetris DX (GBC) 

12. Diddy Kong Racing (N64) 

13. Street Fighter Alpha 3 (DC) 

14. World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade (PC) 

15. The Beatles: Rock Band (360)

16. WarioWare Inc (GBA) 

17. Ouendan (DS) 

18. Undertale (PC) 

19. Sonic the Hedgehog (MS)

20. Zelda: Link's Awakening (GBC) 

Edit: Changes to 1 game per series. Which has meant changes to the last two spots.

1. Sonic 3 & Knuckles (MD)

2. Super Mario 64 (N64) 

3. Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) 

4. BIT.TRIP FLUX (Wii) 

5. Wiz 'n' Liz (MD) 

6. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver (DS) 

7. Worms Armageddon (PC) 

8. Streets of Rage (MD) 

9. Ikaruga (GC) 

10. Katamari Forever (PS3) 

11. Tetris DX (GBC) 

12. Diddy Kong Racing (N64) 

13. Street Fighter Alpha 3 (DC) 

14. World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade (PC) 

15. The Beatles: Rock Band (360)

16. WarioWare Inc (GBA) 

17. Ouendan (DS) 

18. Undertale (PC) 

19. Rhythm Heaven: Mega Mix (3DS)

20. Out Run (Arcade)

• Upvote 3

1. Zelda: Breath of the Wild

2. Final Fantasy VII ( @Jamie John I would give it a go on PS4 again, don't worry, it's still as awesome as it ever was.  The only reason I've not played it in a while is that I'm trying to keep the remake as fresh as I can when it eventually comes out)

3. Uncharted 2.  I suppose it's a bit difficult to put a sequel on here, but to my mind you don't necessarily have to have played the first one.  Uncharted 2 is still the best in the series IMO.

4. Bravely Default.  I wasn't expecting to fall in love with this game as much as I did.  It's got all the nostalgia of RPGs gone by but in a modern game.

5. Overwatch.  Oooh, controversial.  Sometimes it absolutely does my head in, but the fact is I've played it for a year and 3 months consistently, sometimes for so many hours my eyes went blurry.  Much fun has been had.  And it's so pick up and play approachable that it will introduce a lot of people to the genre who never considered it before.

6. Mario Kart 8/Deluxe

7. Ni No Kuni. Tidy, eh.

8. World of Warcraft (any expansion)

9. Pikmin 2.  Again skipping the original in favour of the sequel, I found it much more approachable due to being able to not have such a strict time limit although I know that was part of the charm of the first, but I felt it quite limiting at times.

10. Super Mario Galaxy.  Well, of course...

... I will return to complete the rest...

• Upvote 4

20 isn't enough! This will have to do:

1. Zelda: BotW

2. Super Mario Galaxy

3. Super Mario World

4. Zelda LttP

5. Super Street Fighter II: Turbo

6. Street Fighter III: Third Strike

7. Metroid Prime Trilogy

8. Tetris

9. Pac Man C.E.

10. Zelda: OoT

11. Quake 3 Arena

12. Rez

13. Mario Kart 8 / Deluxe

14. Chrono Trigger

15. Rhythm Tengoku

16. Resident Evil 4

17. Galaga '88

18.  Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan

19. Super Monkey Ball

20. OutRun 2 / SP / C2C

• Upvote 3

I really struggled with 20 this time too, because so many great games have come out that are instant classics since 2015, but I felt restricting it forces people to really slice out some of the stuff they would sometimes still keep in for nostalgia reasons. And having more than 20 would just be an admin nightmare for me to collate at the end...

I've updated my OP now with some detailed reasoning for my 2017 selections too :) 

• Upvote 1

1) Fallout 3

2) Skyrim

3) Red Dead Redemption

4) Animal Crossing NL

5) Tomb Raider 2

6) Stardew Valley

7) Far Cry 3

8) Mass Effect

9) Bioshock

10) Oblivion

11) Pokemon Red / Blue

12) Shenmue

13) Resident Evil 4

14) Final Fantasy 9

15) Mickey Mouse - Castle Of Illusion

16) Alex Kidd in Miracle World

17) Fable 3

18) Championship Manager 01/02

19) Last Of Us

20) Borderlands 2

1. Ghosts n'Goblins (arcade)

2. Green Beret (arcade)

3. Penguin Adventure (msx)

4. Knightmare (msx)

5. Demon's Souls (ps3)

6. Resident Evil 4 (gamecube)

7. Killer 7 (gamecube)

8.  Ninja Gaiden (xbox)

9. Resident Evil RE:make (gamecube)

10. Halo (xbox)

11. Dead Rising (xbox 360)

12. Mushihimesama Futari (xbox 360)

13. Dark Souls (xbox)

14. Super Shinobi (megadrive)

15. Jackal (arcade)

16. Iron Horse (arcade)

17. Pac Land (arcade)

18. Vaquish (xbox)

19. Mat Mania (arcade)

20. Renegade (arcade)

• Upvote 1

@Lyrical Donut Noticed you listed Metroid Prime Trilogy. I can't really tally votes for series in one entry, so in the case of something like that I would take it as a vote for Metroid Prime.

EDIT: I'm sensing a disturbance in the force of Resident Evil 4 always winning number 1 on this forum... Best get posting @Timmo!

20 hours ago, Rsdio said:

1. Dark Souls
2. Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
3. Bloodborne
4. Tetris DX
5. Rez Infinite
6. Super Mario 64
7. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
8. Deus Ex
9. Bayonetta
10. The Legend of Zelda: The Breath of the Wild
11. Chrono Trigger
12. Super Mario Bros 3
13. Super Metroid
14. Street Fighter Alpha 2
15. Persona 4 Golden
16. Mario Kart 8
17. Final Fantasy VI
18. Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution
19. Sega Rally
20. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

The order feels pretty arbitrary really. You could just randomly arrange them and I'd probably think it was fair enough.

1. Dark Souls
2. Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
3. Bloodborne
4. Tetris DX
5. Rez Infinite
6. Super Mario 64
7. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
8. Deus Ex
9. Bayonetta
10. The Legend of Zelda: The Breath of the Wild
11. Chrono Trigger
12. Super Mario Bros 3
13. Ridge Racer Type 4
14. Super Metroid
15. Street Fighter Alpha 2
16. Persona 4 Golden
17. Mario Kart 8
18. Final Fantasy VI
19. Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution
20. Sega Rally

Edited because I shockingly forgot about Ridge Racer.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, APM said:

Sorry, is it in order of preference or just your top 20 games in no particular order?

Absolutely in order! Sorry I forgot to mention it will be scored like the 2015 thread, so number 1 on your list scores 20, and number 20 scores 1. So order definitely matters a lot in this case, as if you were to randomly order your lists we'd end up with Goldeneye at number 1 or something in the final list and everyone would be up in arms.

14 minutes ago, Benny said:

Absolutely in order! Sorry I forgot to mention it will be scored like the 2015 thread, so number 1 on your list scores 20, and number 20 scores 1. So order definitely matters a lot in this case, as if you were to randomly order your lists we'd end up with Goldeneye at number 1 or something in the final list and everyone would be up in arms.

Ok. Best get thinking, then...

1. Rocket League

2. Super Mario World

3. Super Mario Galaxy

4. Resident Evil 4

5. Shadow of the Colossus HD

6. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

7. Super Mario Galaxy 2

8. Super Mario Bros. 3

9. Doom (1993)

10. Spelunky (2012)

11. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

12. Doom (2016)

13. Journey

14. The Witcher 3

15. Hitman (2016)

16. Metal Gear Solid V

17. Super Mario 3D World

18. Metroid: Zero Mission

19. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD

20. Mario Kart 8

My list is comprised of games that I either sunk a number of hours into or had some significant impact in my life/defined my upbringing. I've attempted to list them in order of 'favourite', but to be honest they are all interchangeable. 20 is a very small number...

1. Team Fortress Classic (PC)

2. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (PSX)

3. NHL '94 (MD)

4. Counter Strike (PC)

5. Quake III Arena/Quake Live (PC)

6. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PC)

7. Beneath a Steel Sky (PC)

8. Chuckie Egg (BBC Micro)

9. Streets of Rage II (MD)

10. Doom II: Hell on Earth (PC)

11. Goldeneye 007 (N64)

12. Carmageddon 2 (PC)

13. Pro Evolution Soccer 4 (PS2)

14. Rise of Nations (PC)

15. Flashback (MD)

16. Wipeout (PSX)

17. Galaga (Arcade)

18. Sonic The Hedgehog (MD)

19. Rocket League (PC)

20. Syndicate Wars (PC)

Certainly a few honourable mentions: Day of the Tentacle (PC), Black Tiger (Arcade), Settlers 2 Gold (PC), Zelda: OOT (N64), Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (PSX), Championship Manager '01/02 (PC), Laser Squad (C64), Road Rash 3 (MD), World of Warcraft (PC), Duke Nukem 3D (PC), Alex Kidd in Miracle World (SMS), Batman (GB), Gain Ground (MD), Daytona USA (Arcade)... I could go on for ages, so I won't.

• Upvote 1

1. Super Mario World 

2. Tactics Ogre Let us Cling Together 

3. Super Metroid 

4. WipEout Omega Collection 

5. Metroid Prime 

6. The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess 

7. Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age

8. Uncharted 2

9. Super Mario Galaxy 

10. Resogun 

11. Rez Infinite 

12. Castlevania Symphony of the Night 

13. OutRun 2006 Coast to Coast 

14. Pac Man CE 2

15. Mass Effect 

16. Horizon Zero Dawn 

17. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

18. Resident Evil 4 

19. F-Zero GX

20. Yakuza 0

• Upvote 1

This was tough! I haven't really thought about it for quite some time, and it would have been easy to fill it with a lot of 'AAA' games from the past couple of gens that have impressed me, but when it comes down to it they're mostly things I'll never play again. I tried to come up with a list of superb examples and favourites I can see myself playing for as long as I'm playing videogames.

1. Dungeon Master

This is never going to move out of the top spot. It's been there for almost 30 years and I can still play it through at the drop of a hat.

2. Phantasy Star Online

I thought I'd finally drop this from such a high position, but then I pondered whether I'd still play it if it were officially maintained and easily done, and I realised I absolutely would.

3. Diablo III

The only real contender for that number two spot. Over the past five years I've put a scary amount of time into it, and I still regularly play it all day.

4. Brogue

I love plenty of Roguelikes, but Brogue distils everything I like about them into a really lean package, and it's pretty beautiful for a bunch of ASCII to boot.

5. VVVVVV

So precise and inventive. Perfect controls, amazing music and all the storytelling you could want.

6. Fez

Not really a game I'd play all the way through many times (if ever again), but to me its the pinnacle of design, and a genuine love letter to videogames.

7. Spelunky

Game of the Forever.

8. Geometry Wars Retro Evolved 2

As the last gen fades into digital-only memory, this is to me the only tragic casualty. What I wouldn't give for that long dreamed of PC port.

9. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX

They made Pac-Man one of the best games of all time, all over again.

10. Vagrant Story

Really my one concession to a standard story-led adventure game, when so many others have dropped out of the list. I can still play through this.

11. Gravitar

More than any other, an arcade machine I'd love to own. In the meantime I'll have to make do with MAME.

12. Pac-Man 256

Tweaked into an infinite gobbler with a crazy one more go hook. 

13. Robotron 2084

I've not played Nex Machina yet, which may overthrow this finally.

14. Civilization V

With all the expansions I enjoyed this one the most, and although I'm on VI now when it comes to the crunch I'd probably choose this one.

15. World of Warcraft

I never played it the way it's 'supposed' to be played, but I've dipped into this world for varying lengths of time over the past 13 years and it's always been inviting.

16. Stargate

I debated whether I'd go for Resogun with its slickness and eye-boggling visuals, but I think this retains its timeless aesthetics and feel, and deserves its spot.

17. Typhoon 2001

A PC remake of Tempest 2000 that I always considered better than the original, but basically this spot counts as being taken by pretty much any version of Tempest.

18. Crossy Road

I've got this for the Apple TV, and while it seems like a joke inclusion I've sunk so much idle time into it. Like Pac-Man 256 it's mesmerising.

19. Puyo Puyo Tetris

A bit of a cheat, but since I'm terrible at Puyo Puyo I really just count it as a great version of Tetris, finally supplanting DX on the Game Boy Color.

20. Galaga '88

I've always found this such a pleasant experience. Nice visuals and effects, warm audio. My desert island highscore challenge.

• Upvote 7

1) Last of Us

2) Halo 1

3) Resident Evil 4

4) Little Big Adventure

5) Zelda LttP
6) Ninja Gaiden (xbox)

7) The Witness

8) Mario 64
9) Monkey Island 2
10) Portal
11) Secret of Mana