Jump to content

Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes


MW_Jimmy
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, McSpeed said:

It's easy to dismiss this as a poorly made, shallow game that only appeals to people who like weird humour and numerous references.

 

But then that could be said of any Suda51 game, really.

 

I scored this a 7.5/10 in my Dutch review for Gamer.nl. The gameplay is indeed on the shallow and weak side, but the batshit situations you encounter in various ways make up for that.

 

Also, I especially liked the way Suda completely bashes a certain AAA publisher into the ground by dedicating an entire level filled with critical notes to one of his earlier games. It even starts off with a major character being killed just like that:

 

  Hide contents

EA and Shadows of the Damned

 

AMA, by the way :)

 

Do you consider a 7.5 an average score or a much better than average score?

 

For all Edge’s fault, they at least consider a 5 to be ‘average’ and anything above ‘better than average’. Or at least they did.

 

I mean, mathematically speaking 7.5 out of 10 would have to mean it’s pretty damn good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

 

This. If you're into Suda, you need to play this. That's all I'll say.

 

You're not kidding?

 

I mean I actually  loved Flower, Sun & Rain (which also got panned back in the days) because of the trademark Suda style. Are you saying this is one for the die-hard Suda51 fans as well then?

 

 

 

Playing on my emotions now are we, Suda-san?

 

travis-strikes-again6.jpg?w=840&h=473

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I mean, mathematically speaking 7.5 out of 10 would have to mean it’s pretty damn good.

 

Most sites would classify this score as a middling score. Trending scores via videogame publications means anything less than an 8 is generally pretty average. Which is interesting, as 8's still also considered a decent score. Slip below that and you're suddenly pretty average.

 

I mean, mathematically speaking, a 10 would have to mean that they're not playing Red Dead Redemption 2 and are actually playing Astro Bot instead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

 

You're not kidding?

 

I mean I actually  loved Flower, Sun & Rain (which also got panned back in the days) because of the trademark Suda style. Are you saying this is one for the die-hard Suda51 fans as well then?

 

 

 

Playing on my emotions now are we, Suda-san?

 

travis-strikes-again6.jpg?w=840&h=473

 

The DeathDrive Mk.2 runs "eye ball" cartridges. If you didn't just order you may have not played enough Suda games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh god, there's so much more. But that would be spoiling. Hence, play this if you like your Suda. It feels like one of those "The Science of Discworld" books; not required for the Discworld series, but welcome nonetheless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

 

Most sites would classify this score as a middling score. Trending scores via videogame publications means anything less than an 8 is generally pretty average. Which is interesting, as 8's still also considered a decent score. Slip below that and you're suddenly pretty average.

 

That’s the problem with most scores. They don’t account for half the scale.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

obviously

 

I think I'm still bitterly disappointed that the game doesn't look fun. Even if the critics didn't like his other games, I often found just the basic combat enjoyable on a very base level. Feedback made it feel good. I'm not getting that impression from what I've seen and read so far.

 

I suppose the gameplay won't be any worse than Short Peace: Longest Day, but that was primarily driven by being a multimedia collection, so I feel it was a different scenario.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, deerokus said:

This looks like a minigame excised from something else. Wtf happened. 

 

If you read the reviews it literally just *looks* like that, and does so intentionally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The thing is, it's actually close to having a decent battle system. It has two glaring flaws in my opinion though - dodge doesn't cancel anything you're doing, significantly reducing its usefulness, and aside from rechargable skills and supers there's no decent way to break through block-happy enemies. You can hammer them with strong attacks, you'll push them away when their guard breaks, maybe get in one hit or miss the follow up, and then they're blocking again. 

 

I mean, Travis is a wrestling fanboy. Surely he'd be able to Tiger Drop their asses when their guard's up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Strafe said:

Do you consider a 7.5 an average score or a much better than average score?

 

For all Edge’s fault, they at least consider a 5 to be ‘average’ and anything above ‘better than average’. Or at least they did.

 

I mean, mathematically speaking 7.5 out of 10 would have to mean it’s pretty damn good.

20 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Most sites would classify this score as a middling score. Trending scores via videogame publications means anything less than an 8 is generally pretty average. Which is interesting, as 8's still also considered a decent score. Slip below that and you're suddenly pretty average.

 

I mean, mathematically speaking, a 10 would have to mean that they're not playing Red Dead Redemption 2 and are actually playing Astro Bot instead.

 

A 7.5 is a slightly above average score in my book. But the difference between this and an 8 or even an 8.5 can be negligible, as Kayin is effectively saying.

 

Also, fuck grading games. If anything the two-sentence summary should give readers enough on whether they should play it or not.

But sadly, this world needs figures to make the business work. Or something.

 

20 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

The DeathDrive 128 is also featured in Let it Die. And there's a guy in some faded gaming magazines in this game who bears a striking resemblance to Meijin.

 

The DeathDrive thing is obvious but I didn't even notice the Meijin resemblance! :D

 

15 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

I'm very close to just reading all the spoilers on this, just so I don't have to play through what is obviously a terrible game.

 

What the hell has happened here?

 

Please don't do this. If you like Suda51's games, just dive in and play this :)

 

Fearing 'this is a bad game' then proceeding to consume the good parts through other means is completely defeating the point.

 

14 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Well, it's reviewing better than Lollipop Chainsaw and Killer is Dead. That's good enough for me as I loved both of them. 

 

So did I, they were fun in terms of gameplay and style but lacked the depth of killer7 and No More Heroes.

 

Travis Strikes Again is somewhere in between: less exciting to play, but more interesting to spend time with (and thinking about) regardless. 

 

53 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

The thing is, it's actually close to having a decent battle system. It has two glaring flaws in my opinion though - dodge doesn't cancel anything you're doing, significantly reducing its usefulness, and aside from rechargable skills and supers there's no decent way to break through block-happy enemies. You can hammer them with strong attacks, you'll push them away when their guard breaks, maybe get in one hit or miss the follow up, and then they're blocking again. 

 

I mean, Travis is a wrestling fanboy. Surely he'd be able to Tiger Drop their asses when their guard's up.

 

Yeah, the battle system in this is indeed undercooked. No More Heroes 1 and 2 had far better and actually more sophisticated combat.

 

I can still accept it for what it is, but some more depth would have just made it more enjoyable to play altogether :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

I'm very close to just reading all the spoilers on this, just so I don't have to play through what is obviously a terrible game.

 

What the hell has happened here?

 

It's not that bad, combat is mostly Diablo Lite imo, and fiddling around with the chips can get you some fun combos.

 

I wouldn't call it terrible by any stretch of the imagination. It's not Shadow the Hedgehog. However it does demand knowledge of Suda51, gaming culture, games journalism, and basically, is aimed squarely at anyone that knows the names 'rllmuk' and/or 'resetera'. If that entire fourth wall busting idea nauseates you: stay the f*ck away from it. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

 

A 7.5 is a slightly above average score in my book. But the difference between this and an 8 or even an 8.5 can be negligible, as Kayin is effectively saying.

 

Also, fuck grading games. If anything the two-sentence summary should give readers enough on whether they should play it or not.

But sadly, this world needs figures to make the business work. Or something.

 

 

The DeathDrive thing is obvious but I didn't even notice the Meijin resemblance! :D

 

 

Please don't do this. If you like Suda51's games, just dive in and play this :)

 

Fearing 'this is a bad game' then proceeding to consume the good parts through other means is completely defeating the point.

 

 

So did I, they were fun in terms of gameplay and style but lacked the depth of killer7 and No More Heroes.

 

Travis Strikes Again is somewhere in between: less exciting to play, but more interesting to spend time with (and thinking about) regardless. 

 

 

Yeah, the battle system in this is indeed undercooked. No More Heroes 1 and 2 had far better and actually more sophisticated combat.

 

I can still accept it for what it is, but some more depth would have just made it more enjoyable to play altogether :)

 

Thanks. I don’t see why magazibes rate out of 10 if they make 7 an average score. 5 is the average between 1 and 10.

 

But that’s life.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Thanks. I don’t see why magazibes rate out of 10 if they make 7 an average score. 5 is the average between 1 and 10.

 

But that’s life.

 

I don't know about the UK school system but in the Netherlands tests would generally be graded 0-10, with a 6 rating as 'passable' or 'sufficient' - and often being required to pass important tests or subjects altogether. 

This systeem effectively makes a 7 'average', an 8 'good', a 9 'excellent' and a 10 'outstanding'. (Actual definitions may vary.)

 

I remember the old N64 Magazine (which had a Dutch semi-translated equivalent) once featured a reader letter complaining about a 7.5 for the Mission: Impossible game. The editorial response: 'Would you also complain about getting a 7.5 for a report in school? Make no mistake, we still consider this a decent game.'

 

So, yeah :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, McSpeed said:

Please don't do this. If you like Suda51's games, just dive in and play this :)

 

Too late. Already have checked out the ending spoiler, and I'm glad I did because it's definitely not a good reason to play through this, IMHO.

 

I'm sure the references to his previous works are good, but as someone who skipped NMH2 because it didn't live up to the brilliance of the first title this is a really easy pass for me.

 

Still got Shadow of the Damned and 25th Ward on the backlog so got enough SUDA51 for a good while.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Too late. Already have checked out the ending spoiler, and I'm glad I did because it's definitely not a good reason to play through this, IMHO.

 

I'm sure the references to his previous works are good, but as someone who skipped NMH2 because it didn't live up to the brilliance of the first title this is a really easy pass for me.

 

 Still got Shadow of the Damned and 25th Ward on the backlog so got enough SUDA51 for a good while.

 

Fair enough. Agree with you on NMH2, though the gameplay was sort of improved over the first one, it felt lacking in depth.

I reckon Travis Strikes Again is a different beast though.

 

By all means enjoy 25th Ward (providing you've already completed The Silver Case) and Shadows of the Damned - completing that may give you another solid reason to still check out Travis Strikes Again ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.