Super Meat Boy forever!

Super meat boy sequel is not the mobile only thing we thought

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-30-super-meat-boy-sequel-to-launch-exclusively-on-switch

It is coming out all formats and it gets harder the more you play it!

Great news I do love it even though I am nowhere near good enough at it - perfect quick arcade action bursts

(probably already posted so I await the inevitable thread merge!)

This was concieved before decent endless runners were really a thing; I reckon this is still early in re-development - I know Ed has not long finished a couple of projects and so I'd bet this is more an old cutscene with the technical half (Tommy) having finally finished his god-engine he's been creating and cutting it together for PAX.

Nope, it's just Tommy apparently, whether Ed's already designed everything and washed his hands of it I don't know but it really seems like Ed/Tommy won't be working together any more - dis-added eachother on Twitter and everything!

• 3 years later...

After looking forward to Cyberpunk; this has saved Christmas for me!

It looks a bit more puzzley than SMB - but it does look good. For heavens sake though do not visit the Steam page - you would have thought Tommy invented Coronavirus the way they're going on!

Tommy streamed a few hours of this recently, it looks great. I've been in a groove of hitting difficult platformers this year and I returned to SMB after a decade(!) to finally put it to bed. I think I was in The Salt Factory, or maybe even Hell on 360 before I just drifted away from it. Had to start it again on PC but I'm currently partway through The Cotton Alley. 

I really don't want to buy anything on Epic, but they just dished out a £10 coupon applicable against anything over £14.99. I'll let the pre-order price of £14.49 expire, then get it for £5.99, then buy it properly on Steam in a year :wacko:

despite not being very good at this type of thing I always have retained a soft spot for Meat Boy over all that came after it.

will probably give this a xmas purchase on Switch, just concerned that in handheld mode the joycon stick and d-buttons may not be up to the task at hand

I feel you with the joycons being a bit of an issue! I will be investing in every version as I am a total Meat shill haha, but even in handheld mode it will be great for understanding the levels :)

outside of the gameplay I am actually liking the new art style, and fingers crossed the soundtrack is as banging as the original/re-release! 

3 minutes ago, Retroid said:

It's an auto-runner so the joycons *shouldn't* be an issue. :)

I could be wrong, but I believe the sticks still have some use, and who knows what side content/mini levels do with the game! I will say when playing it, the game tricks the way your mind works...

It's very clever! 

I picked it up on the epic store and gave it a (very) quick go as I'm still at work. Pretty generous checkpoints though I only played the first two stages so that may be jut for the tutorial. The opening levels were longer and more complex than I expected.

I don't mind that it's an autorunner but it seemed incredibly stuttery to play. I don't play games on PC very often so it might be some setting or other that I've overlooked but the in-game options were only resolution and anti-aliasing. I'll definitely play more of it though.

43 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

I picked it up on the epic store and gave it a (very) quick go as I'm still at work. Pretty generous checkpoints though I only played the first two stages so that may be jut for the tutorial. The opening levels were longer and more complex than I expected.

I don't mind that it's an autorunner but it seemed incredibly stuttery to play. I don't play games on PC very often so it might be some setting or other that I've overlooked but the in-game options were only resolution and anti-aliasing. I'll definitely play more of it though.

Mine is exactly the same, no idea what's going on with it :(

got this on Switch and really not enjoying my initial play with it

it looks like Meatboy but not feeling the control auto runner thing at all, and somehow the screens are very confusing to look at, you don't get any time to plan a route or choose your approach. this is clearly their design choice but it makes for a really frustrating game to play even on the intro levels

finally they insist on sticking big boxes on the screen telling you what the button presses are, right where you are trying to look ahead to work out what to do.

first impressions not good.

I'm coming around to it. It being an auto-runner is absolutely a hard adjustment after the mostly complete control in SMB, but the essentials of the game are the same, I think. In SMB you repeatedly play a screen, pushing forwards bit by bit, refining your time and technique through certain sections until finally you nail the whole thing. I think of the 'chunks' here as mini levels with their own optimal solutions. There's a higher degree of pressure because you can rarely stop to think... but it is a different game after all. The idea of replaying levels to shave off those milliseconds is already enticing to me, and of course I love the whole aesthetic.

It really needs an instant restart button though.

I'd love a save replay feature , the switches 30 second isn't good enough for recording whole level runs.

Also, because it's creates levels on the fly, you perhaps won't play the same levels as everyone else which kinda is a shame to compare skills or whatever!

I think I've got myself an impossible level. Meat Boy gets stuck between a zipline and a platform and can't move out of the way. A massive shame - as I've really been enjoying the game - but this does take a fair old whack of the shine off.