IGNORED

John Maus - Screen Memories+box set

Mr Do 71

Screen Memories and Addendum mark Maus’ first new material in 6 years.

John Maus has been largely absent since the release of his 2011 album We Must Become the Pitiless Censors of Ourselvesand 2012’s A Collection of Rarities and Previously Unreleased Material.

Today, he’s back in force. Maus has announced a new album Screen Memories, which is out October 27 via Ribbon Music. Below, check out the trippy new visual for the album’s opening track “The Combine,” as well as the album artwork and tracklist.

But that’s not all: Maus has also announced a new career-spanning vinyl box set that will be shipped out in April 2018. Included in the box are Songs (2006), Love Is Real(2007), Pitiless Censors, Collection of Rarities, and Screen Memories, as well as another new album, Addendum, which is exclusive to the set.

The collection will also feature a 56-page booklet with lyrics, essays, and exclusive photos. Check out a mockup of the box set below.

Screen Memories tracklisting:

01 The Combine
02 Teenage Witch
03 Touchdown
04 Walls of Silence
05 Find Out
06 Decide Decide
07 Edge of Forever
08 The People Are Missing
09 Pets
10 Sensitive Recollections
11 Over Phantom
12 Bombs Away

IMG_0836.JPG.0a59fc24930812d92e12bc78c5d79972.JPG

IMG_0837.JPG.c188d70848c00e796e00933d0134b09e.JPG

http://pitchfork.com/news/john-maus-announces-2-new-albums-shares-video-for-new-song-watch/?mbid=social_twitter

Best news ever. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's an odd album, this. I like it but I'm never quite sure how much, so it's bouncing up and down my top ten for the year. It's significantly weaker than his previous record, but there's still more to enjoy than most stuff I've listened to recently.

There's also loads about it that reminds me of Devo, mostly their New Traditionalists album. 'Pets', 'Touchdown' and 'The People Are Missing' all sound like they were lifted from that record. 'Over Phantom' has a 'Gut Feeling' vibe about it in that bouncy synth in the intro and 'Find Out' just straight shares its title with a Devo b-side. I imagine it's all in my head, though. :lol: