rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
tbb

Have you ever switched allegiance?

Ok so you maybe been forced to wear a City shirt as a kid but you ultimately ended up supporting Utd, but have you switched allegiance with any other sport?

A couple of years ago I was following Carl Frampton before his big fight with Scott Quigg. I wanted Frampton to win.

By the time the fight came I had decided that Carl Frampton was actually a dick and that I'd prefer Quigg to win.

I also kinda watched Klitschko to beat Joshua too by the time the fight came even though I'd followed Joshua since he turned pro.

Have you ever realised that you wanted someone else to win rather than those who you thought you should want to win?

*Obligatory Rocky/Drago moment*

I remember watching Eubank vs Benn in a pub back in the days when boxing was on ITV and the entire pub wanted Benn to paste Eubank but I didn't and I almost got lynched when I cheered the result as it ended up being a draw and therefore, Eubank hadn't lost. I just thought Eubank was a better boxer and I've always watched boxing for boxing rather than to see someone get their head punched off. I didn't really like watching Mike Tyson much either (I always thought he was dirty, elbows and headbutts) but he seemed to attract the non-boxing fans as he did indeed punch a lot of people's heads off. I used to root for Durran too when he fought Sugar Ray Leonard as I just admired his grit and determination. I think the Froch vs Groves match was one that split boxing fans recently and although Groves was really unlucky, I was glad that Froch ended his career on a relative high.

Eubank vs Benn though - Eubank all the way. Even the commentary on that night was massively biased as ITV really didn't want Eubank to win.

Not really. In the early 80s, my friend in primary school asked me what football team I support. I had no idea, he said Arsenal. I've supported Arsenal since. Similar thing happened with NFL - I bought Madden '92, because it was the sport game to own on your Megadrive, and I just needed to pick a team. At the time, my mate had got me into NFL (that late night Ch4 programme, some will remember it) and, as a Redskins fan, he was always down on the Cowboys. Just to annoy him, I picked the Cowboys to support and have ever since. That's been a lot of fun.

I guess the only "switch" is F1. I was dedicated to Nige and his magnificent moustache, I even had a red 5 scalextric with magnetron (it had a magnet, so you could go full tilt constantly without coming off). After the 92 season, I didn't know who to get behind any more, but I had started playing Geoff Crammond GP and decided to go with Ferrari, even though Nige left them. I now appreciate how boring it must have been to watch Schumacher win day in day out, how that Hamilton tends to dominate.

Used to support Hingis in tennis, apart from when when all-time favourite Steffi Graf was against her.  After Hingis's appalling behaviour in the 99 French Open final, against Graf, funnily, I loathed her, and was delighted when unseeded Jelena Dokic humiliated her a few weeks later at Wimbledon.  Hingis never won a singles Grand Slam again.

Another NFL based one, first sport i really remember is the 49ers stuffing Elways Broncos in the Superbowl so i supported the 49ers. I still do but after the Bledsoe/Brady switcheroo i started paying attention to New England and im a big of them now especially after i visisted a friend in Boston just after they won the superbowl in 2003.

On ‎08‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 14:33, TehStu said:

I guess the only "switch" is F1. I was dedicated to Nige and his magnificent moustache, I even had a red 5 scalextric with magnetron (it had a magnet, so you could go full tilt constantly without coming off).

That sounds terrible. so you just stick your thumb down all the way and wait?

Oh yes in Cricket mainly, I'll support England until they come up against Pakistan & then I'll support Pakistan.

Also F1 I don't support teams only drivers so constantly changing between drivers I like during the season.

7 minutes ago, whizzo said:

That sounds terrible. so you just stick your thumb down all the way and wait?

Yup, which eventually caused the motor to burn out. It was rare we could devise a track which would thwart the magnet. After it knackered the motor, I took the magnet off the other car (a yellow one, I think a Lotus? Don't recall whose number was on it).

Good idea on sticking with drivers. Trying to get into US motorsport is bewildering, I should just pick some drivers.

I made the mistake of telling my nextdoor neighbour how many times I've switched who I'm rooting for in F1. I didn't realise that was such a weird thing as I'm not really into sport generally.

Like I cheered on Vettel when he was an amazing youngster. Kobyashi was my favourite for a bit because he was mental. I don't care really for allegiance I suppose.

My F1 support has always weaved around. I generally follow drivers more than teams, but I usually have a few I support to varying degrees and will sometimes switch to someone else from the same team if my favourite driver moves on (especially when my previous favourite Kimi went from McLaren to Ferrari, who'd I'd been raised to regard as The Enemy, so I decided for 2007 I'd be supporting Hamilton, who I knew nothing of but the name and being British [selecting him over Alonso who was already regarded in the negative for being one of Kimi's main rivals!]).

I was a Liverpool fan back as a kid.  Had the bootbag, lunchbox, bedspread, curtains, lampshade, pajamas etc.  Must have looked like a right knob lol.

Saw Spurs lose to Coventry in 87 on the TV and cried my little eyes out.  Really felt for Mabbut and his right knee! Been a Spud ever since.

Started out as a Palace fan mind you, back in the days when Wright and Bright were leading the line.  Went to many a home game being about a mile from the ground.

• Upvote 1

F1 wise, I'm a Ferrari fan and I don't see that changing, but I always feel an affinity to a mid field team too, and like some drivers more than others.

I don't really like Vettel, and think Kimi is past it. Rumours come up every so often (though I think it'll never happen) of Hamilton replacing Kimi. That would make being a Ferrari fan quite hard for me!

Right now, Haas are probably my mid field team. I like that they are new, and starting out well, and think Grosean can be good.

NFL, similar to above actually.

It was nfl quarterback club on SNES for me in around 94 or 95. I opted for a middling team with a colour scheme and logo I liked.

Been a 12 ever since, go Seahawks! 

Similar to F1 though, I love the sport, I have jerseys for about half of the team, many bought in the pre or early internet days when I saw them in sales in shops, and on my 1 visit to the US (New York) of course I left with a home and away Jets jersey.

I don't do other sports.

On 11/03/2018 at 09:30, the_debaser said:

I’ve always found the idea of supporting an F1 team really bizarre. 

If I think about it too much I find the idea of supporting any team or person in sport bizarre. I can’t see any reason to single out F1 team support. Why do you say that out of interest?

Yes. I kinda followed Liverpool as a small kid, but my head got turned by Newcastle Utd when they got to the premier league and beat Liverpool 3-0. Years later it turned out Grobbelaar just let goals in.  But now my hometown club, Swansea City, are in the Premier League. It's them all the way now. 

In F1 I follow drivers. Hamilton is still my favourite driver, despite him nowadays being a bit of a "so blessed" bell end.

As for American sports. I caught a Suns game back in the '90s, I forget who it was against now, but Dan Majerle was all but literally on fire and was setting (for the time) a world/NBA record for the 3pt shots. Charles Barkley was at the top of his game. Amazing times, shame they lost to the Bulls. Was similar for NFL too (I also remember that CH4 show, @TehStu), happened to watch highlights of a Packers game in an early round of the playoffs, this was just as Brett Favre was about to be an NFL megastar, and the game was sensational. Followed them through the playoffs, and watched them win the Superbowl live at stupid O'clock. Nowadays I couldn't name even one of their players, but I still keep an eye on the scores. :)

I liked the Miami Dolphins when I was younger, but then got into Ice Hockey and the Detroit Red Wings, so switched to the Detroit Lions for American Football (and in turn, Pistons and Tigers for Basketball and Baseball). 

19 hours ago, morcs said:

If I think about it too much I find the idea of supporting any team or person in sport bizarre. I can’t see any reason to single out F1 team support. Why do you say that out of interest?

Because you’re just supporting one massive corporation over another. I sort of get supporting an F1 driver, because maybe you like their style or are from their country, but supporting a faceless company who pumps out a sports car is just plain weird. Bit like those guys who support Team Sky at cycling. I just don’t get it. 

Supporting say a football club, which is often a large corporation of sorts, is different as they have a bond with a city. 

That bond with the city has been slowly (or not so slowly, depending on the club) eroded over the last couple of decades, especially at the top end. With £60+ tickets, teams full of imports and shirts advertising Asian energy drinks, links are few and far between.

I wouldn't be surprised if in another twenty years, people will find no difference between the two. I suppose unlike football, few people bother to go and support their local kart teams.