rllmuk
Don Rosco

Joker origin film - Joaquin Phoenix Confirmed

17 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Money aside, I'm also really interested in what brought Marc Maron on board with this. He's traditionally been quite disparaging about comic book films, so there might've been something quite promising in the material that convinced him.

I would expect it's something like a giant pile of cash.

2 hours ago, Glasgowchivas said:

What concerns me is the 'King of Comedy' riff, plus Current De Niro in the Jerry Lewis role and Mark fucking Maron doing something. 

I doubt they'll be flexing Maron's acting chops too hard. He'll probably be a grumpy shopkeeper or something. Or more likely someone in the standup world that Joker is in before turning. He'd be able for that at least.

I hate to get into trailer analysis (I reckon i'll go in cold), but I like this. Looks like some classic Joker city-wide chaos:

image.png.4ea61f48d09b5eb2f575649221fcea65.png

Have to say i'm starting to feel the aul hype levels rising!

1 minute ago, Don Rosco said:

I would expect it's something like a giant pile of cash.

I did start off the bit you quoted with "money aside". I'm sure he's not immune to a fat cheque but I'd also be interested in whether or not there was something else about the project that appealed to him.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Don Rosco said:

I doubt they'll be flexing Maron's acting chops too hard. He'll probably be a grumpy shopkeeper or something. Or more likely someone in the standup world that Joker is in before turning. He'd be able for that at least.

Seems Maron is a producer on DeNiro's show. Seems like small roles, but maybe significant in terms of what Joker does after failing at comedy. Just speculation on my part, but maybe he will be partly blaming them for his failure, and doing god knows what to them.

I honestly think this is how it should it go. They are not calling it the DCEU now but World of DC. So I like them just doing these standalone films. Don't try and make a film that's gonna set up another film. Just create one great self contained story.  I'm more intrigued by this with every new thing released.

Dante Pereira-Olson will appear as a young Bruce Wayne. He previously worked with Phoenix in You Were Never Really Here.

Douglas Hodge as Alfred. I've not checked extensively, but this apparently continues a tradition of Alfred always being played by a British actor, in live action at least.

15 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Dante Pereira-Olson will appear as a young Bruce Wayne. He previously worked with Phoenix in You Were Never Really Here.

Douglas Hodge as Alfred. I've not checked extensively, but this apparently continues a tradition of Alfred always been played by a British actor, in live action at least.

very good, sir...

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice/232663/alfred-the-many-faces-of-batmans-butler

Yeah really good - Did throw me off when i saw Brett Cullen on the tv, apparently hes Thomas Wayne. Was the drunken congressman in the dark knight rises.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Zero9X said:

Yeah really good - Did throw me off when i saw Brett Cullen on the tv, apparently hes Thomas Wayne. Was the drunken congressman in the dark knight rises.

Ah, so that's probably Young Bruce at the gate (cemetery, perhaps).

That looks great.

Excellent trailer too much more traditional, and better for it. I'm sick and tired of the big sound design hype jobs that've been in vogue for the last decade. 

• Upvote 5

That's the way it's done. I quite agree about the sound design in recent blockbusters. I was half expecting the trailer to segue into the hum of brown note, then a beat of silence followed by a building collapsing and some obnoxious explosions, so glad it didn't. It looks great. 

• Upvote 1

Looks great. A proper character piece and much different take on things. I knew when Phoenix took it on, there must have been something about it. Really hope it's as good as it looks.

Looks interesting, I'm intrigued to see what happens. The bit with him in full purple and bouquet could almost be the Barbara Gordon killing joke section but it doesn't look like it's that story otherwise. 

Not sure if "mother" seems a bit too much like psycho but he doesn't have a set background arguably so it could work. 

Certainly more appealing than Jared Leto's version even at this early stage. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, max renn said:

That looks great.

Excellent trailer too much more traditional, and better for it. I'm sick and tired of the big sound design hype jobs that've been in vogue for the last decade. 

Yes far better without the typical, quiet scene, quiet scene, WOOOMPHH!!!

This looks like it has little to no action and is just Joaquin Phoenix going crazy which seems very interesting for a comic book film. 

Really? I hated it. One of the most interesting premises [and to be fair there are several] of Joker of is

"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day"

Seemed to suggest much more of a "Journey" there which kind of ruins the point.

• Downvote 2