Joker origin film - Joaquin Phoenix Confirmed

Don Rosco

41 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

I said I liked the look of Phoenix's Joker make-up, but now I've seen the whole costume, I'm not so sure now. Is it set in the Seventies as well?

The early 80s, so a garish, out-of-date suit wouldn't be too out of place on a failed, middle-aged stand-up comedian.

I was thinking about this.... genuinely, what's the point? 

After watching the Captain Marvel trailer, I can see how they can set up a film set in the 1990s. There's enough characters (Samuel L Jackson, that guy who's in charge of the Agents of Shield I can't remember) and various other bits that you can see how it ties into the current Marvel films.

It feels like the opposite of what Nolan managed to achieve with the Dark Knight trilogy. At the end of Batman Begins they Gordon says there's a new criminal in town, calling himself The Joker. That sounds interesting! Batman could get to go up against his arch villain The Joker!

But with this, we get to see an origins film of the Joker, set nearly 40 years ago, that's going to have practically no interaction with the current DC films, or even Batman? 

(Never mind the fact that there's likely another film with Jared Leto's Joker, again, so what's the point of this?)

4 minutes ago, gone fishin' said:

After watching the Captain Marvel trailer, I can see how they can set up a film set in the 1990s. There's enough characters (Samuel L Jackson, that guy who's in charge of the Agents of Shield I can't remember) and various other bits that you can see how it ties into the current Marvel films.

It feels like the opposite of what Nolan managed to achieve with the Dark Knight trilogy. At the end of Batman Begins they Gordon says there's a new criminal in town, calling himself The Joker. That sounds interesting! Batman could get to go up against his arch villain The Joker!

But with this, we get to see an origins film of the Joker, set nearly 40 years ago, that's going to have practically no interaction with the current DC films, or even Batman? 

(Never mind the fact that there's likely another film with Jared Leto's Joker, again, so what's the point of this?)

The amount of takes on Batman around now, I think we can cut them some slack. Just call it another pocket of the multiverse or something.

1 hour ago, gone fishin' said:

Comics have one-shot stories. Why not comic book films? A comic book film that is being discussed as a gritty character study instead of the next part of a CGI soap opera is quite an exciting prospect.

Money aside, I'm also really interested in what brought Marc Maron on board with this. He's traditionally been quite disparaging about comic book films, so there might've been something quite promising in the material that convinced him.

It certainly looks more interesting than I was expecting. From the pictures above, it looks as though it's set in the late 70s/early 80s, so it wouldn't surprise me if WBDC tried to use this to provide the origin of the 'real' Joker/Jack Napier, and confirmed that Jared Leto's Joker is a mindwarped Jason Todd/Robin to try and save face with their existing DC-verse films. It might also allow them to go back to a younger (recast) Batman for future films set in the 80s/90s which would make recasting easier for that role.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

It's fucking red. That's not the joker. 

In 2008 people were complaining about the Joker having dyed hair, scars on his face and makeup instead of having a chemical bath.

Let's have a bit of faith in Phoenix and see how this turns out.

I was very skeptical about this: a Joker film without Batman? What next, a Venom movie without Spider-Man? But I'm a lot more intrigued by it now I've seen those clips and photos.

Joker casting and performances have a pretty good track record so far...

i302e3ifasn11.png.fbb53670434718da377a36fda1a61b14.png

Spoiler

It bothers me that whoever made that picture put the letter "A" over the picture where it would be least visible. :hmm:

On 18/09/2018 at 13:57, Harsin said:

Maybe society will finally recognise the issue of people falling into vats of chemicals and turning into psychopathic clowns who stage elaborate crimes.

Also the Joker's real name is A.Fleck. Taking the two sides of the same coin thing a bit far. :wacko:

"Character study" (in both your quotations) seems to be a popular phrase used by people who are embarrassed to be working on comic book films, even though we learned absolutely nothing new about Logan's character in Logan.

17 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Money aside, I'm also really interested in what brought Marc Maron on board with this. He's traditionally been quite disparaging about comic book films, so there might've been something quite promising in the material that convinced him.

I would expect it's something like a giant pile of cash.

2 hours ago, Glasgowchivas said:

What concerns me is the 'King of Comedy' riff, plus Current De Niro in the Jerry Lewis role and Mark fucking Maron doing something. 

I doubt they'll be flexing Maron's acting chops too hard. He'll probably be a grumpy shopkeeper or something. Or more likely someone in the standup world that Joker is in before turning. He'd be able for that at least.

I hate to get into trailer analysis (I reckon i'll go in cold), but I like this. Looks like some classic Joker city-wide chaos:

image.png.4ea61f48d09b5eb2f575649221fcea65.png

Have to say i'm starting to feel the aul hype levels rising!