rllmuk
Don Rosco

Joker origin film - Joaquin Phoenix Confirmed

Watched it today and a lot of my thoughts match opinions already placed. Amazingly tense and provoking film. It was fun, uplifting, scarey, thrilling. 

It was very old fashioned and character, dialog driven rather than action, even then, the action is grounded and simple.

One thing missed is 

Spoiler

His mother was very much a victim as well. She was abused along with him but it seemed she was set up as the person who did the abusing. She was the real victim. Abused by Wayne and discarded and then abused again along with her son and ending up in prison. Ultimately murdered for telling the truth.

Thomas Wayne was a right cunt.

all in, loved it

• Upvote 1

His mother is a victim no doubt, she’s very ill. But are you suggesting that she’s telling the truth re the link between them? I agree they leave it a bit grey, no one is supposed to believe her because she’s an unstable individual, but there could be some element of truth about any of her claims hidden there and it wouldn’t matter.

24 minutes ago, Festoon said:

I have no idea what those tweets are about, but that very scene was quite profound. It was the moment when Arthur crossed the rubicon. 

10 hours ago, sir stiff_one said:

His mother is a victim no doubt, she’s very ill. But are you suggesting that she’s telling the truth re the link between them? I agree they leave it a bit grey, no one is supposed to believe her because she’s an unstable individual, but there could be some element of truth about any of her claims hidden there and it wouldn’t matter.

It was implied Wayne falsified the adoption record in her hospital notes, right? To cover up his illegitimate child?

13 hours ago, grindmouse said:

It was implied Wayne falsified the adoption record in her hospital notes, right? To cover up his illegitimate child?

But did he. So much of it completely unreliable because it's all from the Arthurs point of view. Is Wayne really an arsehole or is that just because thats how Arthur sees him.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Stevie said:

I have no idea what those tweets are about, but that very scene was quite profound. It was the moment when Arthur crossed the rubicon. 

I believe it's what's called "a joke".

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Stevie said:

:lol:

(I love Graham Norton)

It's weird and probably needs it's own thread, but I think the mechanic of Graham Norton's show has become a bit obvious and threadbare. It'd be nice to have some chat show where celebs actually are interviewed as opposed to just being PR to show they're sound and funny.

TRAGEDY!!!! WHEN YOU GET REAL OLD AND YOU GET REAL COLD, TRAGEDY!!!!

I remember I spent a while one lunchtime finding a bollard that some degenerate on efukt had filmed himself being sodomised by so I could get a photo next to it. Then later I realised it was the wrong bollard. That was a real tragedy.

On 20/10/2019 at 11:41, Stigweard said:

Do you really think anyones going to come out this film and immediately think everyone with a mental illness is going to go on a killing spree?

I don't think anyone really thinks that, but the film doesn't do much to break away from the stereotype that mentally ill people eventually cause violence. 

47 minutes ago, robdood said:

I don't think anyone really thinks that, but the film doesn't do much to break away from the stereotype that mentally ill people eventually cause violence. 

The way people are reacting to it you wouldnt know that, but also neither does every other film in the history of cinema that has portrayed dangerous mentally ill people. But this movie is somehow the whipping boy.

14 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

The way people are reacting to it you wpuldnt know that, but also neither does every other film in the history of cinema that has portrayed dangerous mentally ill people. But this movie is somehow the whipping boy.

Totally!  I really loved watching this movie, it was gripping and proper drew me in for the duration.  But the more I think about it, the more I feel the mental health / anti establishment themes were a bit flimsy and not really explored in any meaningful way, which seems a bit of a shame. 

17 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

The way people are reacting to it you wpuldnt know that, but also neither does every other film in the history of cinema that has portrayed dangerous mentally ill people. But this movie is somehow the whipping boy.

It's probably because this film purports to be a damning indictment of the state of mental health provision, but does it by showing a guy with mental illness murdering several people and then subsequently turning into the Joker.

• Upvote 4

Exactly, Arthur doesn't even seem bothered that his healthcare provision is removed, I mean, it seemed pretty lacklustre in the first place.  Had he even been taking his meds?  I felt it was a bit blurry as Arthur himself was a pretty unreliable narrator. 

Thought this was fantastic. I could write a lot about this, but, well, it's probably all been said. Touching, brutal, sad... If he doesn't get an Oscar nod, at the least, something is very wrong 

Only thing I thought they could have done better is...

Spoiler

The shooting of Thomas Wayne. It felt really out of place, and as every scene had Arthur in it, this could have been done better. Maybe had him drive past the alley and just see Bruce stood there. It could have been more subtly done.

• Upvote 7

Saw the film on Wednesday - loved it. Thought JP delivered an amazing performance, well worthy of an Oscar nom. I quite like that a couple of bits had been lifted from Dark Knight Returns and Killing Joke, or were at least similar enough for me to notice them, but then blurred with new material so it wasn’t too on the nose.