Blue Velvet

Nice place, shame about the tenants

The Shining

Rosemary's Baby

Alien

• Upvote 8

13 hours ago, Illyria said:

No! Should I add it to my list then? :) 

It's a sweet movie - a little too blatantly manipulative at the end, but he does a great alien visitor.

So, um, Strangers in a Strange Land:

Starman

The Man Who Fell to Earth

Rocky Horror Picture Show ;)

• Upvote 1

Ooooh, I'd have thrown in 12 Monkeys, because he's excellent in that. However, that means it's free for my 'gruff Bruce Willis SF night':

12 Monkeys

Fifth Element

Looper

• Upvote 1

The 'How the fuck did this shit happen in the 20th century' trilogy:

The Killing Fields

Hotel Rwanda

The Last King of Scotland

Cheerful stuff, I know. 

• Upvote 1

Mine are all 80's choices and most (apart from Platoon) are dated, but still great films imo.

Shut Up (Fashion) Crime!

Streets of Fire

King of New York

To Live & Die in LA

It Was (Nearly) Acceptable in the 80's

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension

Flash Gordon

Willow

Sheen Your Shoes Mister?

Repo Man

Platoon

The Dead Zone

• Upvote 1

a slightly off the wall answer.

in late 80s early 90s me and my nerdy friends would rent a bunch of shit horror/scifi films from the video shop drink his shit homebrew get pissed and laugh at the films overnight going home in the morning (nerds).

So I present to you

Killer Klowns from Outer Space (actually a good flcik I still have it now)

The Wraith (laughably awful but noa ctually just awful)

Moontrap - It had Walter Koenig and Bruce Campbell in it how could it be bad.... oh it was awful

and another night it was

Maniac Cop (hmmm not awful)

Demons 2 (actually a decent horror but we just pissed ourselves laughing at the one guy saying "where's Rosemary" overacting to the max).

The Hitcher (actually very good)

I am not sure I can recommend them as triple Bills but they did work for us when on the cheap cider and homebrew :D

• Upvote 2

a serious answer - one of the best years for movies for me personally I give you...

2001 : A Space Odyssey

Planet of the Apes

Night of the Living Dead

In some ways 3 very different visions of the future. Also notable to see the ape makeup work in Planet of the Apes and 2001 and realising that Planet of the Apes got the Oscar for makeup :D

(that year actually contains 3 of my top ten films of all time - ok Planet of the apes bobs around a bit and sometiems slips to top 20 list :P)

• Upvote 4

Probably already had it as it is so obvious...

Robocop

Total Recall

Starship troopers

The perfect Verhoeven subversive blockbuster trilogy. A director sticking two fingers up at capitalism/privatisation/search for profit, western warmongering and the big action hero cliche. Did all this and got paid for it by the targets he was lampooning

genius :D

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Don Wiskerando said:

Yes and is on Film4 today at 4:30.

Thanks for the tip, sadly I'm not in the UK (and also busy at Gamescom) ^_^

Gone for a trilogy of 'fuck you' endings. You know, the kind that leaves you a little stunned as the credits roll. Plenty to choose from, but here's my picks:

Se7en

Obvious, but heralded a change in modern Hollywood, opening the doors for darker, more brooding crime thrillers. Many tried to match it, but few can stand alongside Fincher's grubby, unsettling, crime classic. Brad Pitt showed acting chops behind his good looks, Freeman is his dependable self and Kevin Spacey announced himself with about as shocking a calling card as is possible.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

Tinseltown loves a remake. Always has done, always will. However, not many can be considered as well-made or, arguably, better than the films they attempt to emulate. Philip Kaufman's remake nods to Don Siegel's groundbreaking 1956 sci-fi classic, and evolves his film into a horror dripping with 1970s paranoia. The final scene will send chills up your spine. And if it doesn't? Well, the pod people probably already have you.

Arlington Road

Mark Pellington's CV is mostly unremarkable (although think The Mothman Prophecies is quietly underrated), but he hit gold with this Jeff Bridges-led conspiracy thriller about an American history professor that slowly suspects his new neighbours may be up to no good. A hugely entertaining spin on the Hitchcockian themes seen in Rear Window, Arlington Road delivers a mighty suckerpunch with its subdued, sinister ending.

• Upvote 4

Sporting underdogs come good....

Cool Runnings

Slapshot (1977 version)

The Bad News Bears

Two of these are from my child hood,  I remember being allowed to watch Slapshot on Betamax when I was about 10, and came pretty close to actually wetting myself I found it so funny.  The Bad News Bears was one of my Primary school regulars - at the end of each term we'd be ushered into the biggest room, curtains drawn and the clunky VHS with giant TV on a rolling cabinet was brought into the room, the film would start and the teachers would bugger off for an hour.   Cool Runnings has got so much going for it, John Candy is excellent, its schmaltzy without being too cheesy, just a really well done film.

Red Dawn

Red State

Red Heat 

Blue Velvet 

Blue Valentine 

Blue Ruin

The Green Mile

Green Room

The Green Hornet

Etc 

• Upvote 2

Geniuses on film (mostly played by Benedict Cumberbatch) 

A Beautiful Mind

Hawking (or The Theory of Everything, if you don't fancy Cumberbatch twice in a row)

The Imitation Game