rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
spork

Albion Online - New MMO!

Anyone else currently playing Albion Online? It's seemingly been in closed beta since forever but was released last month. Me, @Sie, @Scruff and Tuts started playing it a couple of days ago and it's the first game in a while that has managed to actually drag us away from PUBG.

2355328-trailer_albiononline_introductio

The core hook to the game is based around gathering, crafting and PVP. The economy is completely player driven, with everything being either gathered or crafted by players. There are also no quests outside of the first hour tutorial type quest things, so it's pretty much a sandbox game where you make your own fun. There is a bit of PVE content, mostly in instanced dungeons although it isn't really anything special at the moment. The devs are apparently planning more PVE stuff so hopefully that will get better over time. Everyone plays in the same world on the one server.

It is a top down isometric game and plays more like a hack and slash game, with click to move rather than WASD and a few skills you choose depending on your level, weapon and armour. That means your character can be any class, although you need to use the lower level weapons to open up the higher tier stuff, so picking one you like early on and levelling that up seems to be a good idea. The holy trinity of healer, tank and DPS is pretty important in both PVE and PVP.

The game mostly reminds me of EvE. With it's focus on a player driven market. It also has it's own equivalent of hi/low/nul sec and in the red and black zones you will drop everything if you get killed. You'll also struggle to have one character who can do everything. The skill tree thing is pretty massive and branches out quite significantly depending on what you do.

albion-online-destiny-tree-work-details.

The end game seems to be about guilds and alliances fighting against each other to control different zones that contain rarer materials and resources. You could play the game solo up to a point, but I think being in a good guild is going to be pretty important to getting the most out of the game, much like with EvE.

You can also buy an personal or guild island where you can farm and raise animals and stuff.

There is also no monthly sub, just a one time purchase like with Guild Wars. You can additionally buy a monthly sub (either with real money or in game currency) which will give you some bonuses.

Come and join us!

• Upvote 1

I actually came very close to buying this after having seen some streams of it in closed beta. But the prospect of being constantly ganked by a zerg of players and losing everything from gear to gathered stuff made me rethink.

It seemed like a game that would be very hard to come into if you weren't there from the start.

4 minutes ago, koefoed said:

I actually came very close to buying this after having seen some streams of it in closed beta. But the prospect of being constantly ganked by a zerg of players and losing everything from gear to gathered stuff made me rethink.

It seemed like a game that would be very hard to come into if you weren't there from the start.

I wouldn't worry too much about that if I'm honest. There are safe zones where you spend the early game and when you are ready to venture into the more dangerous red or black zones, you'll be a little bit wiser on how to avoid potential ganks, or be doing stuff in a group with your guild. 

Sounds like a modern take on Ultima Online, best MMORPG ever devised.

If I had even a small amount of guaranteed spare time I'd give it a go. Such a shame.