Jump to content

Tempest 4000 - Jeff Minter developing - 2017 release


Superunknown
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I couldn’t find this at a similar bargainous price on the Xbox so just bought it from the store. Loved TxK so figured well worth the £23. 
 

I seem a lot worse at this than I remember though!

 

If one of the enemies gets to the end of the grid thing, is there anything you can do about it if you don’t have jump and have already used your smart bomb? Or is that it, you’re stuffed?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Bushtopher said:

I couldn’t find this at a similar bargainous price on the Xbox so just bought it from the store. Loved TxK so figured well worth the £23. 
 

I seem a lot worse at this than I remember though!

 

If one of the enemies gets to the end of the grid thing, is there anything you can do about it if you don’t have jump and have already used your smart bomb? Or is that it, you’re stuffed?

 

If Jeff was true to the original - and it's Jeff, so he would be - then you should be able to 'step around' some enemies.

 

In the original arcade game, the basic crab/pincer enemies sort of swing over, then under the 'rim' of the gravity well. As they swing down, under the rim, you should be able to traverse over them and shoot them as you do.

 

That's a tip that's been living in my head for 40 years, now.

 

No I never managed to pull it off reliably back then, either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

I couldn’t find this at a similar bargainous price on the Xbox so just bought it from the store. Loved TxK so figured well worth the £23. 
 

I seem a lot worse at this than I remember though!

 

If one of the enemies gets to the end of the grid thing, is there anything you can do about it if you don’t have jump and have already used your smart bomb? Or is that it, you’re stuffed?

When you have the jump powerup then you can avoid anything on the edge of the web by jumping over them.  But before that you can lean your claw with the L bumper (or L trigger I forget which).  This makes the claw stay still on the spot and allows you to lean left or right.  When you have the basic gun you need to time your shots, but when you have particle laser you are pretty much safe.  Note that you get a smart bomb on every level, and if the enemy grabs you, you have a small window of time before it pulls you down the web and this is when you shoot it with your smart bombs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My copy has just arrived.  From the postman delivering to fully installing it and updating - ready to play took just under a minute.  I miss those days. 

 

Also @dumpster is totally right about this in big screen mode with the PSVR headset - its perfect for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/05/2020 at 22:31, smac said:

 

If Jeff was true to the original - and it's Jeff, so he would be - then you should be able to 'step around' some enemies.

 

In the original arcade game, the basic crab/pincer enemies sort of swing over, then under the 'rim' of the gravity well. As they swing down, under the rim, you should be able to traverse over them and shoot them as you do.

 

That's a tip that's been living in my head for 40 years, now.

 

No I never managed to pull it off reliably back then, either.

In TxK I could pull that off about 30% of the time. It does take some finesse. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not 100% on this (and never have been since Tempest in the arcades) but if there are enemies on the edge of the web, there are options.  If the enemy moves onto you then you are usually safe and you will shoot them before they kill you.  However, each level begins with you having a weapon that fires a burst of ammo then a small gap before it happens again.  You might want to try timing your shots to make sure you hit the enemy before it steps on you.  Once you have particle laser you are pretty much safe, and when you get maximum bullets you are unstoppable.  If something grabs you and you can't move, fire off a smart bomb because you only die when it takes you into the centre, and you have a second or two to react first.

 

There's also an audio cue for everything, so listen out for the sounds of the most dangerous enemies appearing, and prioritise certain enemies above others.  

 

Game of the year (2000).   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How do you control the bonus stages? The stay in the rings bit.

 

I remember it being a bit fiddly on Vita but I can’t move at all on PS4. I get that it’s tilt controls but tilting does nothing unless literally turn the whole controller upside down and then I fly over to the opposite side of the screen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

How do you control the bonus stages? The stay in the rings bit.

 

I remember it being a bit fiddly on Vita but I can’t move at all on PS4. I get that it’s tilt controls but tilting does nothing unless literally turn the whole controller upside down and then I fly over to the opposite side of the screen. 

I have no earthly idea. I've given up, it's now just an opportunity to have a break from the frantic pace of the levels.  

 

In similar news, if you play this on the Vita you tilt the console, so when you play it on a pstv it's the easiest thing ever, you use the d pad to put the dot in the right place and it just stays there...

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Monkeyspill said:

I haven’t managed to fly through a single ring! I honestly thought my controller’s tilt/gyro mechanism was broken.

 

It’s a real shame that ‘Atari’ wouldn’t allow the VR version. 

Yeah fuck em. Clear as well all the atari stuff was bolted on at the end. Including an early trophy name just to get the name in there. Would love to know the full story from Jeff and Giles.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

How do you control the bonus stages? The stay in the rings bit.

 

I remember it being a bit fiddly on Vita but I can’t move at all on PS4. I get that it’s tilt controls but tilting does nothing unless literally turn the whole controller upside down and then I fly over to the opposite side of the screen. 

 

Just kinda works for me - the sticks and twisting the controller both sorta move you about. Sluggishly with a lot of inertia, so it's not easy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It really clicked with me yesterday, seeing and hearing my way through the madness and keeping it in control. I will spoiler just in case, but I realise how to play this in a way I never fully got in TxK...

 



Listening for the sound cues is a big one. Also understanding that the enemies that patrol the edge won't kill you if they move onto your space.  If you move onto them you might die, but if you stay still and lean in to the sides you can pick them off.  So you start to see through the number of enemies.  You see the white one, wait for it to spark, then run across to shoot it.  You get the yellow ones before the hit the edge as often as possible, prioritising the enemy by type as you go.  But the big revelation has been to choose a part of the web and protect it, and when you get the AI droid it can do the rest. So you focus on, say, the loop at the bottoms or the left side only or whatever and let everything bounce around, firing sparks etc on the other side.  

 

On screen it looks like madness but in your head it's all making perfect sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/05/2020 at 21:56, dumpster said:

I have no earthly idea. I've given up, it's now just an opportunity to have a break from the frantic pace of the levels.  

 

In similar news, if you play this on the Vita you tilt the console, so when you play it on a pstv it's the easiest thing ever, you use the d pad to put the dot in the right place and it just stays there...

 

 

Not sure; but try tilting the controller the opposite way that you want to go. Not sure if it’s deliberately unintuitive...that would be weird, right? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Broken Thumbs said:

Not sure; but try tilting the controller the opposite way that you want to go. Not sure if it’s deliberately unintuitive...that would be weird, right? 

Cheers!  I think it's a combination of moving the stick in the right direction whilst moving the controller in the opposite way.  

 

I think I have another question, about the restart options.  As I remember from TxK, if you complete a level with, say, 6 lives remaining, you'll be able to start from that level with 6 lives.  So it's useful to go back as you get better at the game because if you can build up, getting back to where you were before but with more lives available.

 

Now, I might be missing something but Tempest 4000 seems the same, but i have massively varying restart points.  I can restart level 61 with 8 lives remaining, level 62 with one life remaining , or level 63 with 7 lives remaining.  Now I'm pretty sure that I did badly on level 61 before, but I went back to it and did better.  But I certainly never started level 62 with one life and somehow earned 6 extra lives before hitting the next level.  It's very strange and I'm not sure how it works.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dumpster said:

Cheers!  I think it's a combination of moving the stick in the right direction whilst moving the controller in the opposite way.  

 

I think I have another question, about the restart options.  As I remember from TxK, if you complete a level with, say, 6 lives remaining, you'll be able to start from that level with 6 lives.  So it's useful to go back as you get better at the game because if you can build up, getting back to where you were before but with more lives available.

 

Now, I might be missing something but Tempest 4000 seems the same, but i have massively varying restart points.  I can restart level 61 with 8 lives remaining, level 62 with one life remaining , or level 63 with 7 lives remaining.  Now I'm pretty sure that I did badly on level 61 before, but I went back to it and did better.  But I certainly never started level 62 with one life and somehow earned 6 extra lives before hitting the next level.  It's very strange and I'm not sure how it works.

 

Yeah, I remember weirdness like that with older versions. I'm guessing the restart point is done on points scored, rather than number of lives. 

 

Hopefully someone who knows what they're talking about will answer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.