rllmuk
ann coulter

Dragon Quest Builders 2 - PS4/Switch - Out Now! GOTY contender.

I buckled and just bought it, will be picking it up on the way home from work (courtesy of a £10 argos voucher to soften the blow).

Missus would kill me if she knew though so shhhhhhh

• Upvote 3

I can't remember if it was mentioned on here or Resetera, but I second the recommendation to zoom the camera in a little bit more on your character, which you can do by pressing in and holding the right stick then adjusting the zoom permanently with the left stick.

Definitely give first person mode a try too. I always wished they'd had this in Builders 1 so it's great to see them implement it now.

• Upvote 3

Only 1 game save is odd, I always like to create multiple game saves.

I’m on PS4 is it the same on Switch?

28 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Just use a different profile for more than one save.

Yeah that’s ok to let my daughter play. I just wanted to create more than one save on my game. I’ve had bad experience with corrupted save files so I always create at least 3 save files.

Anyhow great game so far enjoying the first chapter.

• Upvote 1

In one video I saw, it mentioned that Switch was 30fps, PS4 was 60fps.

I played the demo on Switch and it was playable, but I did feel that the frame rate was a bit low and perhaps variable around that 30fps mark.

I will try the PS4 demo for comparison, but unless I think I'm going to play it a lot handheld, I'll be getting PS4 version.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Some really nice QOL improvements over the first game:-

Can save anywhere

The whole base and boundary thing is much more passive, you no longer need to put your flag down

Warp points are placed through the levels as you reach them, no need for the old orb system, and it's near instant

No weapon or item degradation

That's just a few but it really does feel like a step up. I love the puzzles you find throughout the world, BOTW an obvious reference there and in other ways.

I'm on the first island after the Isle of Awakening so I'll spoiler this for those that don't want to know anything, but it's not a story spoiler or anything.

Spoiler

The farming is fantastic, I love establishing fields with scarecrows and then watching the residents work the land, and the irrigation system, just all so gratifying as you build up your farm and village. 

And how cute is a wriggler when he's asleep :wub:

• Upvote 3

Does anyone remember the wonderful Little King's Story on the Wii? DQ Builders 2 reminds me of it a lot.

All of a sudden I have a little community of about 20 villagers that eat all my cabbages and queue up every night to use the bathhouse. I think Square Enix might have crossed a line of decency by forcing me to complete a quest to build a toilet specifically in order to

Spoiler

harvest my villagers' shit for a new recipe. :lol:

• Upvote 4

This is a wonderful.

There are elements of Minecraft obviously, but also Animal Crossing, Dark Chronicle, Stardew Valley and yes, Little King's Story mentioned above is a great shout, hadn't thought about that at all but it does feel quite similar in some regards.

Having recently played through the first one again this is a big step up for me. Very pleased with it!

• Upvote 2

I'd forgotten how addictive DQB can become, and I've barely even begun really - I'm trying to take my time and build things nicely, but it's so compelling driving the story forward as you unlock more and more recipes and abilities.

It's 2am!

On 14/07/2019 at 13:04, tyagi said:

In one video I saw, it mentioned that Switch was 30fps, PS4 was 60fps.

I played the demo on Switch and it was playable, but I did feel that the frame rate was a bit low and perhaps variable around that 30fps mark.

I will try the PS4 demo for comparison, but unless I think I'm going to play it a lot handheld, I'll be getting PS4 version.

Yup, played the PS4 demo and the 60fps and snappiness of the UI and controls is a winner for me. Bought on PS4.

If I was going to be playing it a lot handheld, I'd obviously get Switch, but I won't.

Er, thanks for letting us know.

Very moreish this game, so much you can do, it's very easy to pop on for a quick go and end up hours later having remodeled half your farm. I love how self sufficient the villagers are, they really help out once you set them up with rooms to work in.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

It's great fun like @Stanley said they have really improved on the first game with so many QOL changes.

I've been taking it in turns to play with my daughter who really enjoys tidying up the farm & has made some nice buildings with roofs & balconies compared to my simple functional square rooms.

I spend a lot of time just exploring, wondering into caves & climbing to the top of mountains.

Like everyone has said a 30 minute play session can very quickly end up being 3 hours!

• Upvote 1

Really pleased to see this has climbed into the top 10 on the Switch eshop. It's such a special game and I expected the weird mashup of genres and the obscurity of Dragon Quest in the west to kill its chances of making any kind of digital splash, particularly as a full price game in the middle of a big eshop sale too.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, gospvg said:

It's great fun like @Stanley said they have really improved on the first game with so many QOL changes.

I've been taking it in turns to play with my daughter who really enjoys tidying up the farm & has made some nice buildings with roofs & balconies compared to my simple functional square rooms.

I spend a lot of time just exploring, wondering into caves & climbing to the top of mountains.

Like everyone has said a 30 minute play session can very quickly end up being 3 hours!

I'm essentially playing through the game twice, my daughter needs a little help with the reading, and then my own game which I'm further ahead in that I just play on my own. It's great seeing how differently she does things compared to me.

The paraglider is just ridiculous. They went full on Breath of the Wild with it. I don't think it'd be possible to go back to Builders 1 now. The sense of scale is really impressive when you're gliding about, even with the game separated into different islands. They all feel just large enough without being too sprawling and impersonal.

And they've packed the game with so much stuff it's absurd. I've racked up at least 15 hours of playtime but have encountered only 20% of total monster types and 10% of total items, and have discovered only 7% of total rooms you can build (I expect a lot of these are cosmetic variations of the same thing - Simple Kitchen, Agricultural Kitchen etc) and only 6% of all recipes in the game.

There's loads of dialogue too, much of it optional. Chat to your villagers whenever you move the plot forward even just by completing a quest - they often have new stuff to blabber.

• Upvote 2

And they're adding a bunch of new stuff in DLC over the next few weeks. The DLC was one of the things that was putting me off getting the game, honestly - just include it in the main game ffs! - but I'm going to be all over it when it's out, especially the fishing and aquarium stuff

• Upvote 2

I'm a little embarrassed to admit it's taken me this long to realise that the game is aiming for the structure of a mainline Dragon Quest RPG, what with travelling back and forth between towns on various continents and resolving the woes of the inhabitants, except in this you're literally building the towns. While Builders 1 did this to an extent, this new freedom to travel back and forth between continents whenever you want (eventually) and the permanence of the towns you build makes it feel more like an RPG adventure. It's incorporating lots of plot stuff from Dragon Quest II as well.

This is so good, I love how much the residents do now, it's a fully functional little community - way more advanced than the first one.

Just little things such as pressing down on the d-pad to drop any item in your inventory into your bag, which is also bottomless now, has such a big impact on your enjoyment, not having to constantly micro manage it all the time.

Honestly it just keeps hitting high after high, throwing more and more stuff at you - and just when you think something might become a chore, they improve that too - constantly impressing and providing so much satisfaction and gratification.

• Upvote 1

Is there any point in playing the first game now, bearing in mind it's already in my backlog, or would I just be like playing an inferior version of the sequel?

The hype in here is a bit infectious. :D

If you've already bought the first one and aren't going to play the second straight away, definitely play the first - it's a great game. But yeah, the sequel improves basically everything and really ups the scale.