Cobra Kai - Now on Netflix

On 14/09/2020 at 14:01, revol said:

I think Johnny discovering things like online dating, smartphones, Facebook and WiFi etc gave me the most laughs in this. Just a brilliant idea for the character. 

‘Send it to the internet!!’ :lol:

“Hot babes”

Great theory about how this story is going to play out eventually ... Amazed I hadn't thought of this (or seen it speculated elsewhere, though may have missed it...) - will spoiler as although it's only a theory I guess some people might not want to hear it...

Spoiler

Miguel's dad is the evil businessman karate dude Terry Silver from KK3. Creiss's original partner in Kobra Kai. 

https://screenrant.com/cobra-kai-miguel-dad-terry-silver-theory/

I mean, maybe, once you think of it, it's so obvious in a "Luke is Rey's dad" way that it's a red herring. But it would be a pretty robust way of raising the stakes so they can draw the story out for a couple more seasons. 

Hmmm, the second season trades laughs for drama and I don’t think it’s a good trade. It’s still good and when it wants to be funny it is, but it’s much less funny. 

I think the belly laugh I got from the opening scene to S2E8 has given me gout.

It's a shame there was less of that sort of stuff in the second series than the first.

Really liked this cheese fest. It's corny, and the choreography is balls in this Jason Bourne Wick age, but still a good and I like the take and different perspective.

The fact that everyone outside of a main character, when interacting with a said main character was a complete arsehole , did really bug me though. People are shitty, but not that shitty, all the time.

Just finished season 1 

Spoiler

Fuck me, John Kreese has massive sausage fingers. 

The wife and I have been laughing about them for an hour.   He must have tiny little dumbells to exercise them.  I thought he was holding 5 cigars.  His hand looks like it was played by Roy Munson's prosthetic. 

Great show.  Would recommend. 

Yeah, just finished season 2 and I loved a lot of it but the last episode was underwhelming compared to the tournament in season 1.

Spoiler

The teen romance stuff was a bit heavy-handed and the partner swapping and rumble at the end all felt a bit forced.

I laughed loads though and Dimitri and Stingray were stand out characters. Game of Thrones references too!

Consistently one of the best things on Netflix.

On 29/09/2020 at 15:25, Monkeyboy said:

Season 2 finished. Probably not quite as good as the first season but still great. It seemed simultaneously more serious yet more goofy than the first.

Felt the second season more laden with filler episodes than season 1. 

Spoiler

Also a bit disappointed that it took so much of the focus off the teacher/pupil relationship between Johnny and Miguel they was at the core of the first season.

4 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

I could do without all the teen melodrama bollocks and just have it be about Johnny and Miguel, to be honest. 

Fixed that for you.

I think Miguel got pushed way to far aside in season 2. He is easily the best and most likeable of the young actors on the show.

I'm hoping plans for a fourth season means they've Shue on board. One of my main criticisms is that Daniel's wife really isn't his type, dick as he is. It's hard to believe there was ever a spark between them as written. They could use an affair with Ali to bring back some of his old more likeable qualities.

Zabka's so good because he's almost playing himself. He was never the greatest actor, but as Johnny he had a really sympathetic charisma and was unlucky to fade away in the late '80s and early '90s. His acclaimed return after all that time is a big part of why I think Cobra Kai's so effective. Especially when a lot of us have reached middle age without achieving our ambitions.

Although America's lost its charm bigtime since then. I mean shots like this with the VF750 on the right and Cruel Summer on the soundtrack... damn!

VF750.jpg

On 24/09/2020 at 15:18, Doctor Shark said:

I like how they just ditched Daniel's son for S2 :lol:

Shit I just finished bingeing season 2 and didn't even notice he wasn't there until reading this :lol:

13 hours ago, Escaped said:

I'm hoping plans for a fourth season means they've Shue on board. One of my main criticisms is that Daniel's wife really isn't his type, dick as he is. It's hard to believe there was ever a spark between them as written. They could use an affair with Ali to bring back some of his old more likeable qualities.

Zabka's so good because he's almost playing himself. He was never the greatest actor, but as Johnny he had a really sympathetic charisma and was unlucky to fade away in the late '80s and early '90s. His acclaimed return after all that time is a big part of why I think Cobra Kai's so effective. Especially when a lot of us have reached middle age without achieving our ambitions.

Although America's lost its charm bigtime since then. I mean shots like this with the VF750 on the right and Cruel Summer on the soundtrack... damn!

VF750.jpg

I'm thinking Shue for season 3 because they mentioned what she does back in season 1.

Absolutely loved it. William Zabka killed it and yes Team Johnny

Cobra Kai to Karate Kid is what Garou: Mark of the Wolves is to Fatal Fury. But then you've got Kreese lurking around as a dark manipulative entity, like some form of Akuma.

So I finished season 2 earlier in the week - it was quite uneven and I agree with other comments that it could have done with less teen drama filler and more yuks like the first season, BUT... the finale was probably the best single episode in the whole thing!  More of that kind of thing please.