IGNORED

Cobra Kai - Now on Netflix

JohnC

Finished season 4 tonight goddamn if those final 2 episodes didn't tick all the boxes for super entertaining TV. Even the secret best music track from Karate Kid snuck in. Just wall to wall grinning, it's so well written and executed for what it is. 

On 04/01/2022 at 10:59, scottcr said:

It's sooo melodramatic and manipulative, but I can't help but watch - because it's just great fun.  It knows exactly what it is.

It must be a deliberate decision for it being shot in that over-lit US network sitcom/daytime soap opera style, and with those often spartan sets… Yet somehow it all works.

How can a Karate Tournament genuinely feel like the fate of the entire human race depends on the outcome?! Absolutely tremendous season from start to finish culminating in 2 perfect episodes of TV. Sooooo much pay-off!

Felt slightly worried with some of the shit going on in episode 7, but on reflection I think that was deliberate to make the finale feel as good as it did.

Spoiler

The whole prom dynamic with the couples and then the dance fighting was awful. So many unnecessary cringe moments where that kind of thing is usually handled very well. It was the only slight mis-step for me but was more than made up for with how things played out afterwards. The Hawk v Robby fight was exhilarating to watch and shows how far these actors and the choreography has come.

There is no doubt Barnes is returning now yeah, perhaps with a perfectly moulded evil son or daughter of his own? I can just about handle Kreese having his 'redemption' arc through his misguided love for Johnny, but I want Barnes and I want him as evil and deranged as possible!

Oh and one of the greatest assessment of Top Gun ever... "He didnt even get into Miramar, and he got his wingman killed. Not cool!". Make 27 seasons of Cobra Kai please!

That was really damn good. It felt emotional too!

So many clever little points and side switching, redemption and some crazy ass people too.

Fantastic last episode, I think I'll watch it again!

I genuinely thought Johnnys montage music was from Rocky! :lol:

Properly laughed at "yeah, he's a sexual too!" as did my 17yo daughter who walked into the room at that point having never watched any of this before and identifies as asexual 

On 21/01/2022 at 13:33, Down by Law said:

This is so Rocky IV its almost unbelivable. Added straight to the gym playlist :D 

Holy shit, this soundtrack is brilliant. It's like Rocky combined with Metal Gear Solid.

Finished S4 last night. Wasn't quite feeling it to begin with but it built to a great finale in the end.

Spoiler

Quite excited about the prospect of Johnny Lawrence in Mexico City.

Could be some good laughs there.

I enjoyed S4, but but... I kind felt like there's a little too many plot points now. Which means character development doesn't have the time to breath a little.

Spoiler

Personally, the show should revolve around Johnny and Miguel, everything else is/should be secondary. And I feel like the weight of plot points and characters now is messing up the dynamic. It's still awesome tho. Johnny's montage, taking down a scooter chump and then challenging Poseidon himself was *chefs kiss* magnifique!

Oh and would it have killed them to use a hawk screech!? Just once?? I mean c'mon!!

Hopefully I'll have time to properly expand on this to explain why I like it so much, but I watched all 4 seasons of Cobra Kai in a fortnight and it's definitely one of my favourite shows ever. Such a surprise! It shouldn't work but it's just so goddamn good. I'm bloody mourning it until December, am really missing watching it every night. It no be there. :(

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/02/2022 at 12:44, Darwock said:

On your last point, they did - when he got his shirt off in the final.

This was my favourite moment in season 4. I agree with a couple of others, I wasn't quite feeling it until the last three episodes and then it went into overdrive.

They handled the various emotional touchpoints incredibly well. Even Robbie's acting is getting better!

Teared up a bit at that part.

• 2 months later...

I struggled to connect with season 4 - there’s only so much of essentially the same teenage melodrama you can repeat before it gets tired and boring… but every scene with Johnny was still ace, and the finale worth the effort. 

• 3 months later...
On 06/05/2022 at 19:18, Dr Nookie said:

Is this suitable for a nearly 11 year old?

He’s pretty robust and always trying to get to watch older age stuff, but not seen this at all and he keeps asking. 

Yeah, some slightly more adult stuff in s1 relating to blowies etc but after that it tones down a bit, unless you have a problem with teenagers near-killing each other in brawls. It’d be a great show to watch with a 12-13 year old

I reckon. 

20 minutes ago, Pob said:

Yeah, some slightly more adult stuff in s1 relating to blowies etc but after that it tones down a bit, unless you have a problem with teenagers near-killing each other in brawls. It’d be a great show to watch with a 12-13 year old

I reckon. 

Ok ta. As he’s now burning through Stranger Things I guess it’s a no brainier he’ll be ok on this.