IGNORED

Cobra Kai - Now on Netflix

JohnC

This is my favourite thread on the forum. Each time a new person wanders in to give Cobra Kai a chance - aitsu! - they instantly love it. And it’s so deserved. I don’t think there’s another thread with as much uncompromising love as this one. 

I’m up to episode of 8 of season 2 and it’s just absolutely glorious. The way it slides between the humour, drama and pure nostalgia is measured to perfection. Johnny is incredible. His arc is so cliche but it never puts a foot wrong.

I’m so invested I’m not watching anything else until I am up to date. Oh and I want “SEND IT TO THE INTERNET” with a Cobra above it on a t-shirt!

This show really does deserve all the plaudits. Has it been mentioned how (imo) this is the perfect example of how to update a nostalgia based drama into a modern context? From female characters to masculinity to modern social values, it treads a line so wonderfully assuredly. Just a pure delight and proves you can do something like this and keep 'most' people happy. It's just damn hard and requires amazing writers.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, NickC said:

Hmmm. I love this show, but it leans so heavily on nostalgia for the original films that they are going to run out of road soon.

I disagree. The nostalgia is a nice bonus. I barely remember the films and I enjoyed the Neighbours esque plotting fine.

I’m 10 or so episodes into the first season and have been absolutely loving it, watching two or three a night. Two nights ago it finished on the first real high for Cobra Kai (Miguel’s date and Johnny’s meeting with the karate committee) but fairly obviously they pulled the feet out from under them again in the following episodes.

I’ve been fairly invested and to be honest that was hard to watch, specifically

Spoiler

Miguel getting drunk and hitting Sam, and the obvious set up of Robbie being a rival love interest - all of which I could see coming a mile off

It has kind of broken the immersion as I feel like I’m being played with by the writers rather than just enjoying a story.

Oddly it reminds me of reading the Game of Thrones books, with the continuous lack of justice for those who deserve it. GRRM made me angry too, but that’s what kept me hooked. Here it’s just like ‘oh fuck off…’

Obviously I will keep watching and it wouldn’t be much of a story if things just went smoothly all the time, but I wish they’d found a different angle to keep the drama going.

I just finished S2. I was actually all set to post after 9 episodes with how they’d lost focus and direction with a lot of stuff - the ongoing love triangle situation felt redundant, as all the characters seemed to have moved on quite happily - so why should we care anymore? Kreese was in and out again, couldn’t see where it was going. After the finale I see now that the whole series was building towards that massive royal rumble.

One complaint about Netflix, it didn’t affect me too much thankfully but it occurred to me after watching that a crucial scene had been spoiled in one of their animated intros, back when I was still in season one. I think I will switch to torrents for S3 to avoid that kind of BS.

3 hours ago, Darwock said:

One complaint about Netflix, it didn’t affect me too much thankfully but it occurred to me after watching that a crucial scene had been spoiled in one of their animated intros, back when I was still in season one. I think I will switch to torrents for S3 to avoid that kind of BS.

Are you talking about the preview you get when you’re browsing? If so, you can turn those off in settings. Although I don’t think you can do it via the app. It has be done by logging in on your PC.

Not sure exactly what it was, but my process is I go to my list, to Cobra Kai, quickly turn off the subtitles and then click on the episode list to select the next episode.

At some point in that process I was treated to a big splash screen with the title logo, and (S2 finale spoiler)

Spoiler

half the screen showing Miguel falling backwards in slow motion.

Like I said that happened when I was still in S1, so there’s not much chance it was an episode preview.

We have been gifted Netflix in our house by my sister-in-law, she added an account when my wife started using her log-in, so I don’t want to seem ungrateful but I hate the way it just keeps auto playing everything and you have this mad dash to get it to stop every time.

• 2 weeks later...

All done now, waiting for S4. Loved it. I hope they keep all the allegiances exactly where they are going forward though. Having all the cunts in one team keeps it nice and straightforward.

Spoiler

Never been a fan of Robby so I’d prefer to be able to cheer on the people kicking his arse with a clean conscience lol. Hawk’s change of heart was obviously being set up well in advance, but they still seemed to do it a little too abruptly. He would go as far as breaking and entering with the intent to cause harm, but change his mind only after he got there, hmmm

That Netflix future episode spoiler thing happened again. Minor spoiler this time, but I was treated to a splash screen showing Sam and Daniel training with the staff weapons a long time before that ever came up in the story.

• 2 weeks later...

I just started this recently and really been enjoying it. Who'd have thought they'd manage to make a compelling Karate Kid TV show 30 years down the line.

It makes me laugh so much when the kids have huge karate fights in the middle of malls and schools though. But not laugh in a this is dumb way, cause theyre really enjoyable (although at times it is dumb 😆).

Just finished season 2. That was a bit heavy.

And done.

It's really is both ridiculous and great at the same time isn't it. I was way more bothered with the storylines revolving around the adults than the teenage stuff which got very silly and cheesy at times but still enjoyable. Could never take Eli serious as a badass though.

Really looking forward to season 4.

• 2 months later...