Cobra Kai - Now on Netflix

On 03/01/2021 at 22:39, Harsin said:

I think I've posted this in here before, but Bill Hader's story about what an arsehole Martin Kove (Kreese) is IRL is pretty funny.

Showing uncharacteristic empathy here:

Strike first! Strike hard!

Just finshed Season 3, for me Cobra Kai gets better with every season and I thought it was amazing. So many of our 80's childhood favourites have been revived in recent years only to be disappointing, but I really think they've nailed the balance with Cobra Kai, awesome and I can't wait for season 4.

Just finished season 3 and...

Spoiler

OK, so that end fight at the Larusso house was really nicely done... and then undone almost immediately by that GODDAMNED STUPID resolution of "Oh, we'll settle it at the tournament. How the hell is Daniel going to convince his wife to overlook the massive criminal damage (and assault) by Cobra Kai that they could SO easily prove and shut Cobra Kai down for good?

Also, those CGI snakes in the Vietnam snake pit were beyond comically bad. All the way down to the clichéd hands waving falling baddie!

I mean, I did enjoy it, but that last bit of resolution was just so... goofy. And not in an endearing way. Just me?

1 hour ago, loathsomeleopard said:

Just finished season 3 and...

Hide contents

OK, so that end fight at the Larusso house was really nicely done... and then undone almost immediately by that GODDAMNED STUPID resolution of "Oh, we'll settle it at the tournament. How the hell is Daniel going to convince his wife to overlook the massive criminal damage (and assault) by Cobra Kai that they could SO easily prove and shut Cobra Kai down for good?

Also, those CGI snakes in the Vietnam snake pit were beyond comically bad. All the way down to the clichéd hands waving falling baddie!

I mean, I did enjoy it, but that last bit of resolution was just so... goofy. And not in an endearing way. Just me?

Well, I loved all that. :D

And yes it's goofy, but by now I think you just need to accept that Cobra Kai exists in a parallel universe where normal laws don't apply and everything revolves around karate.

I'm really enjoying season 3, the scenes with Johnny and Miguel are brilliant and the Shaolin Soccer game made me laugh. 

Hawk is such a prick though. Thought he was great on the first season but he's an insufferable asshole now. The kid needs a good shoeing. 

We just started watching this with our 6 and 11 year old daughters but had to turn it off after 10 minutes. I mistakenly thought it was a family friendly show? Is the pilot more sweary then the rest of the show or is it just the same?

10 hours ago, Mogster said:

Well, I loved all that. :D

And yes it's goofy, but by now I think you just need to accept that Cobra Kai exists in a parallel universe where normal laws don't apply and everything revolves around karate.

Parallel universe is the way I can suspend my own disbelief in watching this show in a similar way to how Tarantino's films are all ridiculous when you think about it.

The final fight scene was great and echoed the long shots in the series 2 finale. It's obvious the creators have a lot invested in the characters which is probably what keeps this series watchable. Probably my favourite series I've seen over the last few years. But that won't be a surprise to anyone who read my Karate Kid defense post in the Rate the last Movie thread a while back :P

Just finished S3 tonight. It's amazing really how they can create such ludicrously dramatic plots from what is essentially high school karate. Kreese is like Dolph from Universal Soldier, the war ended decades ago...but not for him it didn't :lol: It's brilliant. Absolutely LOVE it.

I loved the bit where all three senseis are giving an inspiring pep talk to their students at the same time.  Kreese is good, but Johnny is hilarious.

The actor who plays Kreese looks phenomenally good for his age.

Season 3 episode 3 - am I the only one who felt a bit uncomfortable during the car wash scene? :unsure:

I guess the actresses are all over 16, but aren’t they supposed to be kids?

Yep agree the car wash scene was roll-eyes lame, but it must be said there's quite a lot of "yeah, T&A!" in the show thanks to Johnny being such a throwback. For the most part its implied and gets away with it, but when it's really overt it definitely feels out of touch to me.

Finished S3 last night... as with all of them it has a few hokey moments - and the kids bits can sometimes be a bit meh - but overall I really enjoyed it again and put it firmly above S2 quality wise.  

I'm basically game for any section where Johnny Lawrence is the focus, I just think they've done really well with that character arc and made him somehow vulnerable, short-tempered, sensitive, funny, stupid and also fundamentally still a bit of a prick. The mix is weirdly likeable though.

The Kreese origins were good too, and I felt we finally got a bit of pay off from that whole setup towards the end.

I also like how they continually poke at Daniel being equally in the wrong throughout (and literally just say it outright in the final episode). 

Also - as partly mentioned above - I'm amazed at how the cast of Karate Kid seem to have all aged so well...

Spoiler

Martin Kove (John Breese) - 74

Ralph Macchio (Daniel La Russo) - 59

Ali Mills (Elisabeth Shue) - 57

William Zabka (Johnny Lawrence) - 55

Bring on S4!

I’m halfway through season 3 now and it’s right up there with the first in terms of laughs. So relieved they decided to play to their strengths here again. Also, the fight choreography is as good as ever - and whoever is in charge of the sound effects deserves a medal, every punch and kick is wince-inducing. Thwack!!

Just finished. Still enjoying it, it's stupid but alot of fun and if I were Tory I'd hate Sam too, she makes everything about her. But like her Dad.

What a glorious last episode. Kreese's backstory was very OTT but fit the general tone perfectly.

Spoiler

Very intrigued to see how his Vietnam buddy comes into it Season 4. The cliffhangers in this are very well done.

Demetri remains my favourite character.

I managed to finish Season 3. It's alright, I think I've probably had enough of the concept now. Especially since it's not really about Johnny being a thawed caveman finding his way around anymore. Also the Vietnam scenes felt weird and racist.

Let me know if Daniel and Johnny actually get round to fucking in S4 though. I'll tune in for that episode.

5 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

Kreese's backstory was very OTT but fit the general tone perfectly.

Hide contents

Very intrigued to see how his Vietnam buddy comes into it Season 4. The cliffhangers in this are very well done.

Spoiler

His buddy is Terry Silver from Karate Kid 3 – the best baddie in the series, he'd have been at home in Robocop... and his Karate wasn't bad either.