Sign in to follow this  
NickC

Pls Like - BBC3 mockumentary about Vlogging

Anyone caught this? 

I've only watched the first episode but it's funny.  Takes the piss out of YouTube Vloggers, so appeals to my miserable 'things were better in my day' side. Each episode is only 15 minutes. 

It's got Tim Key in it. 

I just watched all 6 in one sitting, thought it was excellent - and being 10-15m each ep didnt outstay its welcome

Some of it was very funny and hits its target very well

• Upvote 1

It's... I dunno, bland? From the first episode I feel like thery could actually done something like this for real and it would be more entertaining. Just get Louis Theroux go visit Matt Hoss, Melon pan, ShoeNice, PewdiePie, Jake Paul or any of the crazy/fake Youtubers out there.

I'll carry on but it seems quite inoffensive.

I think this is quietly fantastic and shouldn't be missed by any of you. Main character Charlie South is the quintessential rllmuker/lapsed Edge reader. 

The 15 minute runtime of each episode means it lends itself well to being marathoned in one sitting; just as you would a newly discovered youtuber's playlist. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/group/p04tsdnr

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rob Rule said:

Main character Charlie South is the quintessential rllmuker/lapsed Edge reader. 

Very true.  

There's a scene where a famous young vlogger has a kid's slide installed in his apartment, and in the way that vloggers often make the mundane so incredibly exciting, he keeps sliding down it then running back up and sliding down again, all the time enthusiastically giggling, whooping with joy and grinning inanely to the camera. 

Charlie, who is looking on, has this look that is a mix of bewilderment, pity and disgust - it's brilliant. 

• Upvote 2

Inane or not, it's a much greater crime not to see the brilliance of having a slide in your home. Charlie's equally unwise and flawed in this, and it'd be ruined if he wasn't. 

Edit: oops! Liam, rather.

At the risk of being pedantic, Charlie South was the youtuber (with the slide), Liam is the main character.

But yeah, this was great, thanks for recommending. Agreed on the Nathan Barley comparison (don't watch this thinking it'll be massively similar, it's not, you just get occasional glimpses of Barley-esque situations/humour).

I kinda wish that they would have stretched out the whole

fake relationship between Charlie and Millipede plot a bit more, as that had the potential for some fantastically cringey scenes. As it was, they alluded to it in the first episode with the "We don't kiss on camera!" bit (which is *really* sleazy behaviour by Charlie when you think about it), but then basically went straight into the reveal at the end of the next one. I guess with 15 minute episodes (a lot of which is dedicated to story catch up) there's only so much you can do

• Upvote 1

I watched 3 straight in a row, its still very funny, just a shame the weakest actor in it is the brilliantly names Dump Ghost.

Part of the success comes from the runtime, short and really tight at only 15m eps.