rllmuk
Mr Do 71

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Cancelled my deluxe edition with Microsoft this morning and just went with the standard edition from CD keys. It was almost half the price! 

13 hours ago, Fargo said:

Interesting that the console versions almost have price parity with PC versions these days. Always remember being able to source PC releases of new games £5-10 cheaper than consoles - essentially because on PC they didn't have to pay fees to Sony/MS. Guess Steam must take a fair cut these days.

EDIT: https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-pc/?gclid=Cj0KCQjww8jcBRDZARIsAJGCSGufR9QJ8hx-1rT6MUxM9sEl7G3AD4BrKceusaNYo5jqQ-5FmgDWUWwaAq6sEALw_wcB

Seems to be around £34 on there so not too bad. Heard that Valve have been effectively removing games bought with keys from certain places though.. .need to look into that.

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

EDIT: https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-pc/?gclid=Cj0KCQjww8jcBRDZARIsAJGCSGufR9QJ8hx-1rT6MUxM9sEl7G3AD4BrKceusaNYo5jqQ-5FmgDWUWwaAq6sEALw_wcB

Seems to be around £34 on there so not too bad. Heard that Valve have been effectively removing games bought with keys from certain places though.. .need to look into that.

GMG list the source of their keys now - it lists Square Enix on that page.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Just be wary of CDKeys taking more orders than they get codes for. Happened to me and lots of other people with Crash Bandicoot.

They where trying to do you all a favour. 

• Upvote 5

22 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Do you get the code from cdkeys right away? 

Nope. On or just before release according to my confirmation order email. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, MattyP said:

Interesting that the console versions almost have price parity with PC versions these days. Always remember being able to source PC releases of new games £5-10 cheaper than consoles - essentially because on PC they didn't have to pay fees to Sony/MS. Guess Steam must take a fair cut these days.

It's always worth checking the price on Is There Any Deal as they do a price comparison but only for legit sites so you don't need to worry about dodgy keys. 

• Upvote 1

IGN Germany published their review early, already taken down.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Instead of daring to experiment in the final reboot trilogy, Eidos Montréal focuses on the new Lara's strengths to finish the story. This decision pays off. Shadow of the Tomb Raider outperforms its predecessor in every respect and adds another dimension: more content, more graves, more puzzles, more story and fewer bangers. Even the secondary characters are more likeable this time, and more than just a means to advance the plot of the game. Only the attached dialogue system bothers me a bit. Here, Eidos Montréal has missed the opportunity to give me as a player the opportunity to form "my personal" Lara in the talks. In the end, however, the game rewards me with an action-packed finale, and all that remains to be said is: Shadow of the Tomb Raider is the playful and narrative highlight of the reboot trilogy - and rightly so.

8.9/10

• Upvote 6

Looking forward to the reviews. Still undecided whether to go physical with Simply Games for £44 in the hope of getting it a day or two early, or digital for £38 with cdkeys. I'm off this week so the earlier the better really.

swerved Spidey for this and looking like it was a good decision 

59 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Looking forward to the reviews. Still undecided whether to go physical with Simply Games for £44 in the hope of getting it a day or two early, or digital for £38 with cdkeys. I'm off this week so the earlier the better really.

Games Collection have it for £38 physical PS4 that tho 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Hoodedclaw said:

swerved Spidey for this and looking like it was a good decision 

It wasn't.

1. Spiderman is incredible

2. This will be half price in a month or two, spiderman will still be full price.

• Upvote 2

Eurogamer:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-09-10-shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-review

And this Tomb Raider may have motivation and purpose and a vague semblance of an emotional arc but it all rings hollow, particularly when elsewhere there's repetition and an overall lack of new ideas. This Lara has forgotten herself and forgotten the joy and the thrill.

2 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

79 on metacritic.

You would have to be mad to buy this on release at full price. Like it's predecessors, it will be significantly reduced quite quickly

It’s one of those games I’ll eventually pick up cheap because I’m a sucker for pretty visuals, but it’s more or less like the previous ones so I can take it or leave it. This version of Lara Croft is such a thoroughly miserable and unlikeable soul to me I’ve always found it a chore to get through them.

They’re solid games I guess, but there’s just no soul in ‘em. The Uncharted games have always been the measure I use with these things, and especially with Lost Legacy they showed you can have incredible ladies in leading roles, gorgeous visuals, comedy and not get all mopey about it.

• Empathy 1

3 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

79 on metacritic.

You would have to be mad to buy this on release at full price. Like it's predecessors, it will be significantly reduced quite quickly

Well guess it depends what you enjoy and the value comes from your experience with it. Think its a good time to release it personally not everyone wants to play a Spiderman game...

I'd be tempted to pick this up if I hadn't already got so much to play at the moment. Oh and the fact I will be playing mostly with Forza Horizon 4 next month (not long to go!). Like the setting and enjoyed the original reboot.

Just now, MattyP said:

Well guess it depends what you enjoy and the value comes from your experience with it. Think its a good time to release it personally not everyone wants to play a Spiderman game...

No of course, it was just in response to the comment that Hooded claw made in regards to the choice.

With regards to the value. I'll definitely pick it, but given the first two games were in Bargain bins within a month or two (indeed the PS4 verison of Rise launched at a discounted price, with all the DLC included), I just couldn't comfortably pay full price for something I knew, was almost certain to be significantly discounted in a short pasce of time.

But sure you pays your money you takes your choice.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Most games are unless they're Nintendo. I'm not arsed. I'll pay 40 notes and I'll likely get my money's worth.

Just now, Stanley said:

Most games are unless they're Nintendo. I'm not arsed. I'll pay 40 notes and I'll likely get my money's worth.

All games are eventually. But the rebooted TR has a track record of it happning very qickly

• Upvote 1