rllmuk
Mr Do 71

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

All I want is Lara to have a sense of humour again. The reboot games are too serious, I miss the Lara that went adventuring for kicks that was in Legend and Underworld.

• Upvote 2

I imagine her character will develop more into that Lara throughout the games, wouldn't expect a what, 20 year old ship-wrecked girl to be all excited about her adventure with witty remarks!

Hm, I'm watching a LP of the first game from 2013, and upon seeing it a second time it's really bothering me how dark it is. There's so much night-play. Just rewatched the teaser for the new game and that looked hella dark as well, and that hint at a full eclipse doesn't bode well. Really wish we could get some bright, sun-filled areas. The geothermal valley in the previous game was okay but it wasn't nearly enough. Hmpf. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Illyria said:

Hm, I'm watching a LP of the first game from 2013, and upon seeing it a second time it's really bothering me how dark it is. There's so much night-play. Just rewatched the teaser for the new game and that looked hella dark as well, and that hint at a full eclipse doesn't bode well. Really wish we could get some bright, sun-filled areas. The geothermal valley in the previous game was okay but it wasn't nearly enough. Hmpf. 

I was gutted more of the second game didn't take place in Syria, it was so bright and vibrant compared to Siberia. I think what you've said there has been a common complaint of the new games so hopefully Square Enix have been listening. 

• Upvote 3

I liked that Rise had more puzzles in it, but it still pales in comparison to Underworld and Legend in that respect. 

I solved some of the puzzles just by turning switches to see what they did!

I want decent puzzles that you can get stuck on. I want to hear idiots on podcasts everywhere complain about it.

• Upvote 1

Thinking about it I reckon the best Tomb Raider game of the last few years was Uncharted the Lost Legacy. Still a huge fan of these games but they are some way off the style of the original PS1 era games. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I solved some of the puzzles just by turning switches to see what they did!

I always try to imagine the ancient groups responsible for making these puzzles in games like Uncharted and TombRaider;

"Hey boss, why do we have to set up these stone plates with animals on them to secure our treasure? Can't we just use a key and lock or something?'

'but that would be too easy, we must test their intelligence too!'

"but all you have to do is just keep moving this wheel around, if they just keep spinning it in different ways for 10 minutes it will eventually unlock? Can't we just hide a key?!"

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

To be fair, the game has the word 'shadow' right there in the title. It's not Sunshine of the Tomb Raider :)

I've been saying from the start that the game will be dark as the others! But people here expressed hope for it to be otherwise.

Yeah that looks like a post-reboot Tomb Raider game alright. I generally enjoyed both prior games but the thought of a third in that vein makes me feel fatigued rather than excited.

• Upvote 1

On 3/16/2018 at 18:10, ryodi said:

All I want is Lara to have a sense of humour again. The reboot games are too serious, I miss the Lara that went adventuring for kicks that was in Legend and Underworld.

Wisdom. Underworld was so underrated it's criminal. The reboot was fine but it's so so serious. 

33 minutes ago, Majora said:

Yeah that looks like a post-reboot Tomb Raider game alright. I generally enjoyed both prior games but the thought of a third in that vein makes me feel fatigued rather than excited.

Curious, what is it about the trailer makes you think this is going to be an entirely new direction? The tone feels very similar to me.

Just now, Capwn said:

Curious, what is it about the trailer makes you think this is going to be an entirely new direction? The tone feels very similar to me.

Which is what he's worried about. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Which is what he's worried about. 

Oh of course, my mistake. Yeah, I'm mainly worried about all the QTE's they do. After GOW I find QTEs seem more redundant/tied than ever now.

11 minutes ago, Capwn said:

That was what I meant, maybe my use of the term post-reboot was confusing? Even though it's just a CG trailer it looks very similar to the past two games. I was hoping the jungle setting would lend itself to something vibrant, sunnier and tonally lighter. It looks like more of the same skulking around in desaturated environments and smashing heads in with an axe, in which case it's more of a £20 purchase for me than a must own. But maybe the gameplay reveal will show something different.

• Upvote 2

Gun-wielding mercenaries - check

Graphic machete/axe kills - check

Blood-thirsty local populace - check

Seems like the new Tomb Raider model alright.

Q: "What will I become?"

A: A mass murderer. Again.

Meh.

• Upvote 3

It does look very much like the first two games. To be fair, Rise did change up the aesthetic a bit in the Syria and Geothermal Valley levels, so it seems likely that it won't all be grimdark muddy forests, skull-infested underground passages, and burning huts. But if you told me they were screenshots from the other games in the reboot series, I would probably believe you.