rllmuk
Mr Do 71

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

7 hours ago, Fargo said:

As much as I enjoyed the modern games this is the Tomb Raider I think we all really want.

A remake of 2? Play tr underworld?

8 hours ago, Fargo said:

As much as I enjoyed the modern games this is the Tomb Raider I think we all really want.

That looks amazing. If SE had any sense they'd hire the person/people responsible and give them the money to make a full Tomb Raider Anniversary 2.

Square Enix are “taking a new approach” with the next Tomb Raider game, starting by announcing the game with a Tweet using plain text rather than video or big reveal. They say they are “Putting their fans first” and there won’t be a big gap between the game being announced and everyone being able to play it.

IMG_1087.PNG.4c176ac683e1364dee2863bcca767d96.PNG

The ‘major event’ sounds like E3, and if they keep their promise the game should follow shortly on from the show in June.

• Upvote 1

I can't wait. I'm playing through Rise again on the X and it's fantastic. I just hope we get expanded Tombs and some nice sunny environments this time. 

• Upvote 1

On 18/06/2017 at 14:15, Wiper said:

This just saddens me by reminding me that we'll probably never see a new Tomb Raider of the original 3D puzzle platformer style  :(

Just get this guy on the case he's remade the games perfectly. 

• Upvote 4

Enjoyed the first reboot game. Playing (and should hopefully complete tonight) Rise at the moment, and while I'm not enjoying it as much as the first, it's still been good fun. I agree on a fewer collectables though. I also felt that there were periods in the first hour where it felt like it was a quicktime reaction game rather than a Tomb Raider game, but that settled once you started to open up the map.

I would say the second is a better all round game, but the first has much better pacing and so feels a bit more exciting (because it is basically Uncharted with a touch of RE4). 

On 8/3/2017 at 19:18, Stanley said:

I thought Rise was superb and I'd happily play another one like it, but perhaps with even more, bigger tombs. 

I was very skeptical but Rise blew my socks off. The last Tomb Raider I played was on the PS2. Loved the crafting and environments, but perhaps they could have toned down all the violence. 

• Upvote 1

Playing Rise at the moment and I'd really like them to dial down the damn pop-ups. They over explain everything constantly, it's so patronising. A 'hidden' tomb is nearby! Trade coins for upgrades at the merchant! Press RT to make a rope bridge! XP UNLOCKED! Coin locations uncovered on map! This is like 10 hours in, way past the tutorial stage. It's so incessant and annoying. At least give the option to turn them off. 

• Upvote 3

I quite enjoyed the last two, but for the new one they either need to get rid of all the story stuff, or massively improve ot. For a developer who are clearly so skilled at the actual game bit of making a game, they are absolutely rubbish at the telling a story bit.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, K said:

I quite enjoyed the last two, but for the new one they either need to get rid of all the story stuff, or massively improve ot. For a developer who are clearly so skilled at the actual game bit of making a game, they are absolutely rubbish at the telling a story bit.

You don't play Tomb Raider for the story.

Just now, gossi the dog said:

You don't play Tomb Raider for the story.

Tell Crystal Dynamics that, the last one had story coming out of its ears.

• Upvote 3

So excited! 

Get rid of all the collectables from Rise - the first game was perfect collectable wise.

I would again hope for more tombs, perhaps a greater focus on them this time round. Wasn't massively keen on the missions per area but it wasn't too bad. Might have to replay the other two games again before it's released in September.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Terry Pratchett's daughter wrote the story for the last two.

I'd suggest maybe getting someone else in next time.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Terry Pratchett's daughter wrote the story for the last two.

Has she done owt else?

I might be Robert De Niros son but it doesn't mean I can act.

• Upvote 1

Well somebody clearly thinks she can write, no other explanation of why people keep on hiring her:

Beyond Divinity (story editor) – Larian Studios (2004)

Stronghold Legends (writer) – Firefly Studios/2K (2006)

Heavenly Sword (co-writer/story) – Ninja Theory/Sony(2007)

Overlord (writer/audio co-director) – Triumph Studios/Codemasters (2007)[11]

Overlord: Raising Hell – expansion pack (2008)

Viking: Battle for Asgard (writer) – The Creative Assembly/Sega (2008)

Mirror's Edge (writer) – DICE/EA (2008)

Prince of Persia (additional writer) – Ubisoft Montreal (2008)

Overlord: Minions (writer) – Climax/Codemasters (2009)

Overlord: Dark Legend (writer/voice director) – Climax/Codemasters (2009)

Overlord II (writer/voice director) – Triumph/Codemasters (2009)

Risen (co-writer) – Piranha Bytes/Deep Silver (2009)

CSI: Fatal Conspiracy (writer) – Telltale/Ubisoft (2010)

BioShock Infinite (additional writer) – Irrational Games/2K (2013)

Tomb Raider (lead writer) – Crystal Dynamics/SE (2013)

Beat Buddy: Tale of the Guardians (writer) – Threaks (2013)

Thief (story and cinematics) – Eidos Montréal (2014)

Rise of the Tomb Raider (lead writer) – Crystal Dynamics/SE (2015)

Overlord: Fellowship of Evil (writer) – Codemasters (2015)

I've played five of those games and none of them had a good story, and from what I know of a few others on that list neither did they. Closest on that list is probably Bioshock Infinite, for all its flaws, but hard to tell her input there as opposed to someone like Levine.

I don't want to criticise Rhianna Pratchett particularly, because I have no idea what her contribution to the game was, and have some awareness of just how difficult it is to write a game like Tomb Raider - any writers are just one part of a huge machine, and making the story better isn't just a matter of getting a "better" writer in. But I think Crystal Dynamics really needs to rethink their approach to storytelling in the series, because the last game in particular was pretty poor in that regard. 

• Upvote 1

Her peers certainly seemed to think her work on the Tomb Raider series was good:

Rise of the Tomb Raider (2015) – Won Outstanding Achievement in Videogame Writing at 68th Writers Guild of America Awards 2016.[12] Won Outstanding Achievement in Character for Lara Croft at 19th Annual D.I.C.E. Awards 2016

And not the first industry peer award she has won for her game writing:

Overlord (2008) – won the WGGB Best Videogame Script award in 2008

Explains why people are hiring her, even if the general public disagree.