Mr Do 71

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

In terms of writing the biggest problem with the last two games is Lara herself; one of the blandest, personality-free protagonists ever to grace a video game. Being strong and resilient isn't a personality.

The Uncharted games have equally daft plots and two dimensional characters but the writing is sharp, and at least Drake, Sully, Elena, Chloe etc. have charisma and come out with some entertaining lines.

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 1

I don't really have a problem with the story and writing in Tomb Raider, and the game is entertaining enough. But the entire package as a whole pales in comaprison to Uncharted.

I just stared the last one on the Xbox X as it’s appeared on Gamepass. Only played about 2 hours but I’m blown away by how it looks, how it sounds, how it flows and the sense of peril it creates using its atmosphere. It’s really good. 

I always had strong feelings about the original games and having played the first 2 uncharted games (which I liked) I think I have more of a connection to TR. So even if Uncharted are done well I think I would rather be playing a really good TR game. 

So basically I’m well up for more of this. 

It looks what you'd expect from a Tomb Raider teaser but at least it seems to suggest the game will be taking place in sunny tropical climes and not grey desolate mountains like the past two games.

• Upvote 3

The last two have been brilliant benchmark titles for PC. Truly stunning. 

I only started through the second recently and the opening part with the ice looked incredible. I'm sort of expecting this to line up as nice trilogy like the Arkham series. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Darhkwing said:
Not sure why they are leaving it so late for proper trailer and then the game to be release a few months later though. 

That's how games are marketed now, Fallout 4 was the first to do this short period between announcement and release and was very successful, so everyone is aping it - bit more like how films are marketed.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Stevedave said:

The last two have been brilliant benchmark titles for PC. Truly stunning. 

I only started through the second recently and the opening part with the ice looked incredible. I'm sort of expecting this to line up as nice trilogy like the Arkham series. 

I played it on 360 before I had an Xbone, and even that looked wonderful!

Loved the games too. They’re not exactly groundbreaking, but I really can sit there and play them for hours.

• Upvote 5

I can't wait for the full reveal :wub: only just finished playing Rise of Tomb Raider about a month ago and currently running around trying to 100% it (don't think that'll happen but it'll be close!). Such a beautiful game, really can't wait for the new one.

• Upvote 5

I think I recall the writing in Black Flag being quite fun but it's been a while. And as with all these things it's probably impossible to isolate her overall contribution to that anyway. 

Still, hopefully Lara might exhibit some character traits beyond, essentially, resilience and determination this time.

• Upvote 1

All I want is Croft Mansion and not to have to pay extra :(

Also I have fond memories of the European city bits (was probably London?) in one of the older games.

Oh and if they could fix the under water diving, that'd be fantastic as that's my biggest gripe with the new games.

Wishlist:

- More tombs

- Longer tombs

- Sunnier, more exotic levels

- Fewer collectibles

- Fewer annoying pop-ups (or at least a way to turn them off)

- A protagonist with a personality

- Fewer insta-death QTEs

- A dinosaur or something, I dunno

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Majora said:

Wishlist:

- More tombs

- Longer tombs

- Sunnier, more exotic levels

- Fewer  No ollectibles

- Fewer No pop-ups (or at least a way to turn them off)

- A protagonist with a personality Drop the excruciatingly awful attempts to story or hire some decent writers.

- Fewer insta-death QTEs

- A dinosaur or something, I dunno

Some changes for me. Other than that, I agree.

Also, don't let teenagers decide on how often Lara gets fatal injuries just because they like her moaning every five minutes.

• Upvote 1

I loved the hilarious insta-death QTEs in the first game, don't really remember any from the second one maybe my reactions were just better.

I also kinda liked that the hub area got populated with Lara's squad of random friends in the first game. Firelink Shrine style.

I liked the optional tombs. Just wished they were a bit less in your face with all the 'YOU DISCOVERED A SECRET'. 

Yes, I know I'm walking in it. Loses a bit of the wonder when you've got five messages a second. 

Makes me want to play uncharted too as I remember one of the main criticism of the first being it was a copy.