Mr Do 71

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

I spent a few days playing this last week, after having spent a wonderful, thrilling time over Christmas playing AC Odyssey, getting my Xena on pootling about Ancient Greece and hanging with my homies So Crates and Brosidas. Having done that, I was looking forward to hooking up with Lara again, despite prefering the older games and having a few misgivings about the series since the reboot.

..oh gosh, this was easily the most disappointing shitshow I've played in a long, long time. Even though I did like the idea of another Peru adventure, and a more puzzle/tomb exploration heavy outing compared to the last couple, it was just. So. Boring. I hated the story, hated the characters (apart from the cool death goddess shaman lady), especially Jonah - oh lord, why won't you let me kill Jonah, worthless lump that he is - and the whole thing felt really cheap. The voice acting sounded like every line was recorded in a bedroom covered in egg cartons, especially when Lara 'engages' the Peruvians in conversation. It's all so stilted and awful sounding. Literally the only thing the current Lara VA nails is saying "shit!", otherwise she's comfortably the worst VA to date. They were always onto a hiding to nothing following on from Keely's stint years previously but they lack even the assured confidence of the TR2/3 one, or the cheeky pluck of the very first Lara VA way back when (what can I say, her sass to Natla remains far more memorable to me than anything the current one has ever managed).

Additionally, the side missions were bad and felt really out of place, and everything just came over as terribly formulaic. Usually I tend to go mostly completionist in such things but was so bored I just advanced the main plot missions as fast as I could just to be done with it. It's sort of funny - mechanically it's a Metroidvania of a sort yet completely lacking in the wonderful, unsettling atmosphere and sense of loneliness and isolation that such games, or indeed the original TRs themselves, typically have. It's not totally without merit, the environments are gorgeous, and I liked little Lara's adventures around the manor, and the final act face turn and post boss cut scene between the two avatars of the twin goddesses but that really is about it.

Such a let down.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 2

Just started this tonight and if nothing else it's a gorgeous looking game. I'm not expecting much from this version of Lara or from the plot, but ~20 hours of atmospheric tomb raiding with a bit of shooting will suit me fine.

• Upvote 3

I enjoyed it.. it certainly felt very different from the previous two games though. Shame it's got some wonky controls at times (especially when trying to jump on ledges and it keeps missing). My main issue is that the story plays back seat because it sounds very urgent but you spend ages looking around the area for tombs etc and collecting stuff and then when you do get back to the story you can't remember whats going on! 

I kinda felt they wanted to challenge Uncharted 4, but it doesn't quite work like that in the structure of the game they made. 

Personally i'd prefer no main story, apart from perhaps a Macguffin (be it some final treasure or something) and a big area where i can go explore at my own leisure.

2 minutes ago, Salsa Party Animal said:

playing it at the moment on XBOX One X and I am in the jungle in Peru facing a big boss Jaguar and I can't fecking kill the Jaguar with Bow and Arrow. Can anyone help. Just want a bloody shotgun to use. 

I hate those bits in the game.

It's...ok. Playable in a polished, but forgettable way. It did make me laugh at the very beginning when you have to button mash to free your trapped leg and then press up to dramatically climb and escape the cave. Considering the previous games were criticised for button mashing and pressing up constantly, you would have thought they would have come up with something slightly better at the beginning of the game. 

Bloody hell, the

Spoiler

hidden city is massive! Usually a game like this will give you a few buildings and a street to explore and leave the rest as background (like Uncharted 4), but here you get the whole thing. That's the second time after the playable flashback to her as a child I've been surprised by this game.

• Upvote 1

On 11/02/2019 at 21:21, Trumpets said:

I'm a decent way in now and this is clearly better than the previous two games in every way. Not sure what the reviewers were on about.

Which reviews?

I'm losing interest in it now. I'm at 35% and just done 

Spoiler

The Underworld section

which was a real slog. I think I'm just going to run through the main story and get it finished. I've got Resi 2 waiting in the wings. 

On 11/02/2019 at 21:21, Trumpets said:

I'm a decent way in now and this is clearly better than the previous two games in every way. Not sure what the reviewers were on about.

It lacks the focus and narrative drive of the first reboot game and the writing is dreadful (although to be fair the writing was pretty dreadful in all 3)

But its undoubtedly the closest they have got to the earlier games feel.

I'm midway through and enjoying it but I'm not hooked in like I was with the 2013 game but it is better than Rise.

I am in howling cave and kill the wolves ok, then I can climb into the other side and now I can't climb up the wall into petroleum deposit base as I haven't got a pickaxe (video show me). Fecking crap game design.  It is not good as Uncharted series.