IGNORED

Red Letter Media Fan Club

Nespresso

4 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

Indeed. You can always tell when someone is faking enthusiasm to that extent because it feels oddly brittle; as though the wrong word or reaction from a guest could bring it all crashing down. 

I'm getting ready for a whole bevy of people on screen with that rictus smile on the their faces when season 3 of Picard starts. 

game.wmlcloud.comwww.escapistmagazine.coms-bfb0a633cae6280855785ab679d31b3ea331ce62.jpg

12 hours ago, Barnard said:

I'm getting ready for a whole bevy of people on screen with that rictus smile on the their faces when season 3 of Picard starts. 

game.wmlcloud.comwww.escapistmagazine.coms-bfb0a633cae6280855785ab679d31b3ea331ce62.jpg

Then they'll start doing the terrible plot whereby they're all playing ancestors or some shit...

Star Trek is basically dead. It is. Its gone. The corpse is so decayed that it's producing this shit. I gave up on Picard at Season 1 Episode 4. I didn't need to see any more. This is Patrick Stuart's ego run wild.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

It's not streaming anywhere in the UK yet by the looks of it. Unless you don a pair of pantaloons, an eye patch, and a tricorne hat!

Having done so myself, I can confirm it’s really pretty good. Having ditched Lost mercifully early on, I am intensely wary of series’ that use the mystery box style of storytelling, but so far this one is providing just enough little answers to keep me placated. A welcome surprise. 

I might have to start googling and fire up the old pirate ship. I haven't used it in about 5 years+ but now I am reduced to it by multiple streaming services and stuff not coming out on accessible services - sigh.

I used to use newzbin but I am not sure I can be faffed with newsgroups and nzbs this time round.

To the darker side of the internet!

sigh

3 hours ago, Clipper said:

I might have to start googling and fire up the old pirate ship. I haven't used it in about 5 years+ but now I am reduced to it by multiple streaming services and stuff not coming out on accessible services - sigh.

I used to use newzbin but I am not sure I can be faffed with newsgroups and nzbs this time round.

To the darker side of the internet!

sigh

Not sure if this level of specificity is within the rules, but I use something called put.io for pirating stuff which takes all the faff out of it. They have servers with some utterly ridiculous amount of bandwidth available to them, and you feed .torrent or .magnet links into their front-end and it downloads the video their side and then makes it available for streaming through their website or Roku app. Their website works seamlessly in a TV's web browser too (at least it does on my Panasonic) and there are no ads as it's a paid service. A really useful element of it is that if anyone else who uses the service has already asked it to download the same torrent you're giving it, they just immediately update your account's permissions to access it, so pretty much everything you ask it to 'download' is instantaneously available to watch.

You can link it to a site called chill.institute which is a search engine that trawls 6 or 7 large torrent sites, and gives you a one-click link to 'Add to Put.io'.

It costs 15 quid a month and it's pretty much where I watch everything now.

Social anxiety stops me from really enjoying going to the cinema, so if something comes out that I want to see I book a ticket for it with my local cinema to support them and the filmmakers, and then just download a 1080p rip of it and watch it on put. I periodically sub to streaming services for a single month to feed a bit of money into the showmaking machine as well. I realise I'm probably denying artists an extra view on their stats, which is not particularly helpful, but I prefer deliberately selecting specific things to watch than having a massive library like Netflix's to scroll through as that causes me huge amounts of choice paralysis and stress.

Also I completely disagree with Jay on the latest HitB, The Pentaverate is great! It's heartwarmingly stupid, all the best bits of the Austin Powers films with none of the nastiness that crept into the sequels.

On 25/05/2022 at 13:25, PK said:

Not sure if this level of specificity is within the rules, but I use something called put.io for pirating stuff which takes all the faff out of it. They have servers with some

utterly ridiculous amount of bandwidth available to them, and you feed .torrent or .magnet links into their front-end and it downloads the video their side and then makes it available for streaming through their website or Roku app. Their website works seamlessly in a TV's web browser too (at least it does on my Panasonic) and there are no ads as it's a paid service. A really useful element of it is that if anyone else who uses the service has already asked it to download the same torrent you're giving it, they just immediately update your account's permissions to access it, so pretty much everything you ask it to 'download' is instantaneously available to watch.

You can link it to a site called chill.institute which is a search engine that trawls 6 or 7 large torrent sites, and gives you a one-click link to 'Add to Put.io'.

It costs 15 quid a month and it's pretty much where I watch everything now.

Social anxiety stops me from really enjoying going to the cinema, so if something comes out that I want to see I book a ticket for it with my local cinema to support them and the filmmakers, and then just download a 1080p rip of it and watch it on put. I periodically sub to streaming services for a single month to feed a bit of money into the showmaking machine as well. I realise I'm probably denying artists an extra view on their stats, which is not particularly helpful, but I prefer deliberately selecting specific things to watch than having a massive library like Netflix's to scroll through as that causes me huge amounts of choice paralysis and stress.

TWRGWD.gif

I don't know if it warranted a whole hour long episode. It feels like they've done the 'technically incompetent student film' genre a couple of times now and this one didn't seem that remarkable... it was no Diamond Cobra vs. The White Fox at any rate.

This hit Diamond Cobra vs. The White Fox levels when the guy went "what a nice house" and you could see the hotel door signs in the hallway behind him. It was spectacularly inept. The RLM guys were losing it through out the commentary. The editing was beyond the point of parody, whoever did it must have been taking the piss.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s a good point about why the hell do they use Hayden Christensen for the in-suit stuff leading to a reliance on camera tricks to try and make him look big, when they could have just stuck a big bloke in the suit and just use him for the bits where you need to see his face.

It’s such a weird show in that it ping pongs from a slick professional big budget production to looking like an ITV Thursday night drama, sometimes in the same scene. In the last episode there was a scene where all the baddies and goodies form horizontal lines, stood up with zero cover and just spend ages firing at each other for ages barely managing to hit each other. It looked like something from Police Squad.

I think that the volume (the big OLED screen dome thingy they use for filming) is a fantastic tool that can produce some amazing results. But between this and Boba Fett it’s becoming increasingly clear you need a director who knows how to utilise it properly and scripts built around its limitations.

4 hours ago, Harsin said:

It’s such a weird show in that it ping pongs from a slick professional big budget production to looking like an ITV Thursday night drama, sometimes in the same scene. In the last episode there was a scene where all the baddies and goodies form horizontal lines, stood up with zero cover and just spend ages firing at each other for ages barely managing to hit each other. It looked like something from Police Squad.

I think that the volume (the big OLED screen dome thingy they use for filming) is a fantastic tool that can produce some amazing results. But between this and Boba Fett it’s becoming increasingly clear you need a director who knows how to utilise it properly and scripts built around its limitations.

The chase through the woods in the opening episode should only ever be shown on ITV4. It’s amazingly shite, and very, very funny.

Watch out for that tree!

Some great points, once again. The way Mike says he would like lightsabers to be portrayed, as hinted at in Empire, is how some EU novels have also handled them to good effect. You have a connection to the force and they’re light and feel natural, if you don’t then it’s the equivalent of someone who’s out of shape wielding a claymore. 

45 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

Some great points, once again. The way Mike says he would like lightsabers to be portrayed, as hinted at in Empire, is how some EU novels have also handled them to good effect. You have a connection to the force and they’re light and feel natural, if you don’t then it’s the equivalent of someone who’s out of shape wielding a claymore. 

They actually resurrected this idea in the new canon already in The Book of Bob-a-Job:

Spoiler

In the first Mando focused episode he finds the Darksaber heavy because it has to bond with its wielder. Though in this case they could just be keeping it as a Darksaber thing.

On 22/06/2022 at 07:08, yakumo said:

I love episodes like this, Jay's fascination with filmmaking is so engaging. I'd really like to see him direct something. Wasn't there a bizarre 80s sort-of-horror film featuring a possessed samurai suit that he was talking about wanting to remake?

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't watched the film or the above video yet but of fucking course there's a bat'leth in the video thumbnail for some reason :lol: