rllmuk
Nespresso

Red Letter Media Fan Club

Like many will say, the Star Wars prequel videos are works of sheer genius and an incredibly well realised exercise in anal and pedantic nit-picking. 

I love all that early stuff, the Avatar and Star Trek Plinkett reviews are so, so good. It's got some balance to it, because while it's tearing stuff apart, there's a tongue in cheek vibe to it that's self aware that the review is incredibly pedantic. It makes the whole thing hilarious.  

The newer stuff is a mixed (half in the) bag. Their cynical shtick can become really, really grating, and I tire of them picking out stuff that absolutely does not matter in the bigger picture (pun not intended) of the film as a whole. The whole 'character x does something that makes "no sense" in the reviewers mind' often feels like low points scoring arguments and it just all gets so boooggged down. The point is entirely missed. 

It's interesting that they're doing a more appreciative and positive spin on stuff with Re:view, and it goes without saying that Wheel of the Worst is amazing. 

• Upvote 1

I'm really tired of the cynical nerd deconstructing narrative problems thing. They often just take an approach that all that matters is logical consistency. If you are writing a program maybe, but this doesn't always work when criticising art. I seem to remember they had a problem with Rogue One because it didn't "feel" like Star Wars in the way they wanted, as apparently all Star Wars films have to be the same. For the first time it feels like a War film and they can't get their heads around a stylistic decision.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Hexx said:

I like their insight and comments.

I hate the "schtick" the surrounds that, so barely watch

Yeah, it's a shame they feel the need to surround their genuinely insightful criticism with that guff.  It comes across as wanting to protect themselves from criticism or debate; giving themselves the option to just say "lol don't listen to us we're idiots who make fart jokes" if they're challenged.  All of their original film output seems to be the same - deliberately shit, so there's no possibility of them failing.

It's the same as that Film Crit Hulk account on Twitter; really insightful, thought-provoking stuff but covered with a safety blanket of silliness.

I love all of RLM's output though, particularly Half in the Bag & Best of the Worst.  Their interview with the Samurai Cop star is particularly great - this is the Half in the Bag episode about it:

And this is the subsequent interview:

I prefer the Pinkett approach the most, pure edited argument with a droll voice picking apart details but never in a smug know-it-all way, more just like 'this doesn't make fucking sense - whatever'. I think Zero Punctuation started the same way, if anyone remembers the first one about Heavenly Sword and some E3 stuff (iirc). His tone was more of being bemused than being smug. I prefer him to be dismayed by games rather than just use them for his jokes. There should be some truth there, like be on the side of wanting the thing to be good, and wailing about why it isn't, as opposed to relishing in it pedantically. 

For film reviews after a watch I go to podcasts rather than YouTube. I don't mind podcasts rambling on but wouldn't just play a half in the bag video and do other stuff while I listen. Will do that now. Baby Driver then...

I like opinions to be really succinct (yeah I know...but really) and get to the point. No mumbling, no indecision, no long pauses, no complacent easy going 'yeahhh it's good I guess but not great'. I want you to be armed with a thousand things to say and not enough time to say it, bursting at the seams to get it all out. An attack of words and thoughts and opinions. Kermode has this sometimes, when a film will carry a lot of baggage through its director and he will fire off a load of coincidences and anecdotes and interesting things that contextualize it to which Mayo will interrupt with a sigh that says 'how is this relevant', and Kermode will say 'ok anyway..' But it's that a film can spark a response in him that makes me want to listen. If you're heavily invested in a passion that's how it should be. I listen to football on the radio and they can ask any question to an expert and get a 5 minute answer about dozens of other things, just saying a player's name can set some of them off into a passionate speech. Film is ridiculously rich for angles to come at it. Half in the Bag is so conversational back and forth to allow for focused rants, it's too laid back for me. And also so superhero movie focussed. 

• Upvote 2

Whilst I dislike the sort of "reviews" that take pleasure in exposing plot holes, gaffes and the like, the Plinkett reviews are awesome and really go contain some very good, solid criticism. I particularly like the one for the Star Trek films, making great points about how the films jettisoned a lot of what made Star Trek TNG great in favour of action. It's obvious they're big fans of Star Trek and managed to make the point with well-researched clips. And a bit of "what have they done to your faaaace?" too.

And watching Best of the Worst made me realise how many crap films I've watched down the years when they feature something that makes me go "oh christ, I've seen this one".

As others have said, Half In The Bag is great when they're making good points about films, at it worst when they're doing some limp comedy or just goofing off. I've found some great alternative films from their reviews. Is it me though or are they doing more MCU/DC/etc reviews than anything else? It feels like they never used to be this frequent.

• Upvote 2

I like their output. Best of the Worst is about the only "reaction" series I can stomach on YouTube, they look like they have so much fun. :)

Fans will know them already, but my favourites are the one with Max Landis where they watch Double Down:

And the one where they watch Order of the Black Eagle, which looks amazing:

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Vimster said:

As others have said, Half In The Bag is great when they're making good points about films, at it worst when they're doing some limp comedy or just goofing off. I've found some great alternative films from their reviews. Is it me though or are they doing more MCU/DC/etc reviews than anything else? It feels like they never used to be this frequent.

They mentioned in one of there videos where they round up the other films released that year, that there Patrons essentially want them to do a lot of comic book movie reviews. That's their biggest request. 

Essentially the crowd are baying for blood and want to watch them make fun of that stuff. 

Worth mentioning in that round up video, where they talk about the other films they saw that year and often actually liked, they cited The Brothers Grimsby as a good film. 

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_brothers_grimsby/ 

1 hour ago, revlob said:

And the one where they watch Order of the Black Eagle, which looks amazing:

I've been at home with flu all week and Best of the Worst has kept me alive.  I think my favourite has been this one - their glee about Future War, their disgust for The Jar, and their slow realisation of what's actually happening in White Fire are all hilarious

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Worth mentioning in that round up video, where they talk about the other films they saw that year and often actually liked, they cited The Brothers Grimsby as a good film.

Yeah I wish they would do Half in the Bag episodes about the less big-budget/mainstream stuff they watch, because everything they've recommended in their roundups has been brilliant.

8 hours ago, PK said:

Yeah, it's a shame they feel the need to surround their genuinely insightful criticism with that guff.  It comes across as wanting to protect themselves from criticism or debate; giving themselves the option to just say "lol don't listen to us we're idiots who make fart jokes" if they're challenged.  All of their original film output seems to be the same - deliberately shit, so there's no possibility of them failing.

It's the same as that Film Crit Hulk account on Twitter; really insightful, thought-provoking stuff but covered with a safety blanket of silliness.

I don't think they're so similar in that respect. Film Crit Hulk has played down the gimmick persona over the years (less of the Hulk caveman grammar, and he's even  - gasp! - stopped using the all caps outside of Twitter). You say Red Letter Media comes across like they're using the silliness as a way out in case they're challenged on anything serious; I don't think that could ever be said of FCH - one thing he seems to prize highly from filmmakers and film critics is sincerity. (While still, you know, hiding behind a pseudonym.)

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Sponge said:

The shouty screechy goblin with his rusty door hinge laugh prevents me from watching for more than a few minutes. 

This is also my stance.

On 8/3/2017 at 12:57, pervent aline perio grow d said:

I like opinions to be really succinct (yeah I know...but really) and get to the point. No mumbling, no indecision, no long pauses, no complacent easy going 'yeahhh it's good I guess but not great'. I want you to be armed with a thousand things to say and not enough time to say it, bursting at the seams to get it all out. An attack of words and thoughts and opinions.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Harsin said:

The Force Awakens Plinkett review was painful.

It was however, 'The Star Wars Awakens' and directed more at the general rebooting of Star Wars now that it's owned by Disney. 

That Plinkett video was still utter rubbish though. 

• Upvote 1

I do think the Plinkett videos are far better with a bad film. At least one with more to criticise. I rarely rewatch the Plinkett First Contact review, but I find the Insurrection review much more entertaining and worthy of repeated viewings.