IGNORED

Ant-Man and The Wasp - July 2018

Goose

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this and really enjoyed it: plenty of laughs, good action, and a post-credits scene that leaves you hyped for 2019. Also, Paul Rudd :wub: And Scott's daughter was great.

One thing though,

Spoiler

am I the only one getting a weird vibe from what's her name, Pfeiffer? How much did she change in there? I might be a bit paranoid, though.

Speaking of in there, I recall noticing

Spoiler

I thought one phase of his journey looked like some of the magic effects from Doctor Strange. I wonder if there will be a connection between the magic and the quantum realm. Like that quote about sufficiently advanced technology seeming like magic 

On 16/08/2018 at 18:42, KriessG said:

I enjoyed this :) As it has already been said, this is a nice ‘palette cleanser’ after the big stakes of IW.

Tell whoever you’re quoting there that it’s palate cleanser. A palette cleanser would be white spirit or something.

• 1 month later...

Gave this a watch last night. It was ok, some funny stuff and a couple of decent setpieces. The story was a bit weak though, and they never even bothered asking the question that was bugging me the whole film

ie how a person survive 30-odd years with no food or water. Also - that quantum train thing that sends them subatomic didn't actually travel in standard three dimensions, did it? So how was it that Michelle Pfiepfefer just happened to be in the same room they built the contraption in?

I was kind of hoping that after the rescue effort that the end credits would have Pfiepfefer vanish with the Thanos snap. Wasn't expecting all three of them to go, though :unsure:.

2 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Gave this a watch last night. It was ok, some funny stuff and a couple of decent setpieces. The story was a bit weak though, and they never even bothered asking the question that was bugging me the whole film

Reveal hidden contents

ie how a person survive 30-odd years with no food or water. Also - that quantum train thing that sends them subatomic didn't actually travel in standard three dimensions, did it? So how was it that Michelle Pfiepfefer just happened to be in the same room they built the contraption in?

I was kind of hoping that after the rescue effort that the end credits would have Pfiepfefer vanish with the Thanos snap. Wasn't expecting all three of them to go, though :unsure:.

Spoiler

IIRC that's what all the talk of locking onto her coordinates was about. Janet was within a missile somewhere over the ocean when she shrank down, nowhere near where they built the machine. That seemed to suggest that the MCU's quantum realm behaves more weirdly than just being a one-to-one mapping of the human-scale universe above. It's not the case that if a person stands here and shrinks down to subatomic size they'll be in this area of the quantum realm, but if you shuffle over one millimetre to the right and shrink down you'll end up in a completely different area.

So the fact that her bit of the quantum realm wasn't in the room where they built the device was irrelevant; the important bit was knowing the coordinates. Once they had that, they could have built the machine in Italy, or Antarctica, or on the Guardians of the Galaxy's spaceship, and Hank would have ended up near her.

Come to think of it, this also implies that the reverse could be true: if you shrink down to the quantum realm, move about a bit, then you might not re-emerge in the same place you started. Hmmm, a handy method for teleporting around the MCU without needing the Space Stone! :D

I really enjoyed this. I could pick apart parts of it, like how the plot and character development is weak, how Ghost and Walton Goggins character serve as just distractions and how the whole films purpose is merely to get you to the after credit scene, BUT it was great fun and I was never once bored. The characters in this are all so much fun to be around. It was a really change in tone after Infinity War

Spoiler

Until the after credit scene that is

• 1 month later...

Saw this last night and it was okay.

Rudd is the same lovable everyman he plays in most of his films (I'm okay with that because I think he's great) and the rest of the cast are decent - with the exception of Pfeiffer who I just didn't get on with, what with her being 

Spoiler

Quantum Jesus at the end.

As somebody posted earlier in the thread though, most of this film just didn't need to happen if people actually bothered to speak to each other at the numerous opportunities they had. It therefore felt rather light, even compared to the first film. I mean, it was watchable and the chemistry of the cast made it greater than the sum of its parts, but it's not one I'd feel inclined to watch again - which puts it in a growing collection within the MCU for me.

Also, the mid-credit scene. Now I know there's pretty much no point in trying to rationalise why such-and-such a character isn't around to help out with xyz, but even with that in mind it felt all a bit too unrealistically disconnected:

Spoiler

I can get on board with the fact that none of those fighting in IW put out the call for this bunch to help - but before we get to the point of the snap, enough time had passed for events from IW to have been everywhere in the media. They couldn't possibly not know about massive alien ships over in New York, the fighting that had gone on etc. Yet they are just looking to go into the quantum realm to get stuff to help Ghost with no mention that of what had gone down in NYC.

It just felt like a really rubbish and lazy way to link the 2 films that very much felt tacked-on because it had to be instead of something that had been thought out. As a result, that scene had no impact for me, which is a shame, compared to IW linking to Captain Marvel in a much better and organic way.

Overall then, a mildly entertaining and low-key caper which had some good lines, an overly contrived plot and rather flat ending.

Ha, watching the Honest Reviews trailer there and Douglas not watching Civil War (or being told to, so he understands what this is all about) kinda sums-up how <shrugs shoulders> it all is. End spoiler:

Spoiler

I know there is speculation that the quantum realm is potentially going to play a part in IW2 but it honestly just feels like a way to keep Scott out of that one, too. And if not, they've made it such a low-key macguffin it seems unimportant to, well, anything.

Ah well, guess we'll find out in 5 months or so...

Edited by Gabe
The post above mine

In response to end of film and infinity war speculation:

Spoiler

I really think antman is going to be really important. I think he's going to be able to communicate with the other parallel universe where all the other characters didn't die and they did. It just fits too nicely with the idea of a click of the fingers and the coffee book quantum physics they love so much.

I think the Infinity War stuff makes sense as was presented. The alien ship in New York was featured on the news (as seen in Infinity War itself) but he's not going to care about Iron Man being missing. Edinburgh was at night and a surprise attack, so probably not known about. Wakanda still seems to be pretty secretive despite the end of Black Panther.

20 hours ago, Pete said:

In response to end of film and infinity war speculation:

Reveal hidden contents

I really think antman is going to be really important. I think he's going to be able to communicate with the other parallel universe where all the other characters didn't die and they did. It just fits too nicely with the idea of a click of the fingers and the coffee book quantum physics they love so much.

Spoiler

"Be sure not to get stuck in the time vortex that nobody has mentioned before this exact moment" seemed like a bit of a giveaway on how that's going to play out. ;) 

• 4 weeks later...