IGNORED

Ant-Man and The Wasp - July 2018

Goose

This is fine.

I know it's meant to be a "small-scale, low-stakes palate-cleanser" after Infinity War. Nothing wrong with that - not every film needs to progress the universe; Spider-Man Homecoming showed that sometimes a fun adventure with familiar characters is enough. But this does feel like easily the least substantial and memorable MCU film since Thor: The Dark World - and possibly in the entire series.

Still, the likeability of Scott, Hank and Luis carries the film. Though Hope (much like Pepper Potts, and Gamora in GOTG1) still doesn't really have many interesting character traits beyond being the competent and responsible one, exasperated at having to put up with the man-child main character.

Spoiler

I'm not opposed to having a sympathetic villain who has a very good reason for being out for themselves. But I think this post earlier in the thread sums up what I found distracting:

On 08/07/2018 at 19:30, taurusnipple said:

Theres cute moments and a likable cast but it its ultimately frustrating because if these guys simply took the time to have  a civil conversation then 3/4 of this movie doesn't need to exist. Fishburn is always likeable and Ghost you sympathize with. Just work together you dummy's!

As a comedy it's amusing enough, but when it finds a joke, it really milks them in a way that teeters on the edge of going too far - and occasionally does. For example:

Spoiler

* Luis doing his voiceover shtick again (but not as funny as either time it turned up in the first movie)

* The truth serum - there's having fun with gangster tropes, and then there's completely undercutting any sense of threat. (Maybe I just say this because we've seen this sort of thing so much recently, with things like Poe's interrogation scene in The Force Awakens and his phone call at the start of Last Jedi?)

* The FBI agent's bowdlerised expletives

* The Baba Yaga!

* The phone call interrupting Laurence Fishburne's monologue. Maybe the filmmakers struggled to write exposition that was interesting enough, so found it easier to do this undercutting? And there's a problem if Laurence Fishburne, the man who delivered some of the most effective plot-explaining scenes in blockbuster history, can't make your exposition seem interesting.

That whole bit with Hobbit-sized Scott was vaguely reminiscent of the baby-legged bit in Deadpool 2! (Another gag that flirted with the possibility of going on too long!)

When Scott sneaks into Cassie's classroom, I was really worried that it was about to turn into some sort of cringe comedy sequence of him getting stuck in the room as all the kids run in, and he has to blend in as the class restarts. :blink:

@Nick R, I agree with all that. Watching the credits, I wasn't exactly surprised to see there were 5 or 6 writers credited.

It felt like there were three scripts vying for position: a funny one with the security doofusses (doofi?) & Goggins on a wild car chase/heist/caper, a superhero one with Wasp vs. Ghost, and thirdly a blend of the familial and Fantastic Voyage (the Quantum Realm) contrasting Hank + Hope's selfish, single mindedness vs. Janet + Scott's kindness and parental love. 

These ended up smooshed together, leaving all three undercooked. I enjoyed the family stuff the most out of those three scripts, as it was unusual to have a superhero story with varied family dynamics; edging towards FF territory, really.

To reconcile them: beef up the role of Ghost, make her more of a villain, remove Goggins (or turn him into a one-scene cameo from an escaped/paroled Justin Hammer?) and I think that'd have worked far better. 

Like with GOTG2, I reckon the creative team had too much free reign this time. There's a bit too much 'chuck everything at the wall'-ness going on. It was so slight it disappears from view sideways-on. The fantastic use of the biggie-smalls drags it up by its bootstraps (just about).

This one falls into the 'OK but slightly meh' bracket that the likes of IM3 and Guardians 2 inhabit. 

Very contrived plot, filled with weird coincidences and unclear motives. Overstuffed with characters, and occasional baffling editing too (at least two jump cuts left me thinking "wait, what just happened?").

Still, I enjoyed the wit and humour of it, and the inventive use of growing/shrinking in the action scenes. The cast are just as good to watch as ever. I put this in the "enjoyed it but could have been better" category. I'll happily watch it again when it hits the movie-discs.

Also, yet again, trailers full of shots not used in the film. Gets on my fuckin' nerves! :lol:

On 06/08/2018 at 22:37, Nick R said:

Hide contents

When Scott sneaks into Cassie's classroom, I was really worried that it was about to turn into some sort of cringe comedy sequence of him getting stuck in the room as all the kids run in, and he has to blend in as the class restarts. :blink:

See, I wanted *more* out of that whole bit - I'd have loved your suggestion to have happened, instead all we got was a hall monitor and some quips in the van; they could have done a lot more with him being that size I thought.

Just got back from watching this. The end credit scene was really good and I thought the end credits for the actors was nicely done too. There wasn't really a "bad guy" as such as the bad guy didn't have bad motives. I enjoyed it though and there were some good jokes

Tiny Ant-Man plopping into the sea had me in fits

The action sequences were really well done, inventive and fun and the inclusion of The Wasp this time around made them better but there just wasn't much of a bad guy to fight. 

There were loads and loads of shrink/grow gags and I imagine there were hundreds of ideas thrown into the bin for this. Ant-Man really is quite a unique character in the Marvel Universe and I did enjoy this but, it wasn't as good as the first one.

Also, people stating Thor The Dark World is rubbish are weirdos as Thor is the best character.

5 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Also, people stating Thor The Dark World is rubbish are weirdos as Thor is the best character.

From what I remember, it starts off alright and falls off a cliff later on. It’s probably the Marvel film that suffers the most from the crap villain problem that most of them have.

RE the villain/s

I thought once

Ant-Man, the Wasp and Hank go to visit Hank's old colleague (played by Laurence Fishbourne) and Fishbourne later reveals that he was experimenting years ago and also had the ability to grow and get bigger, that he could've been the villain alongside Ghost

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gargantua_(comics)

He was comparing how big he got with Ant-Man.

I think they missed a trick there as that could've worked really well.

Instead we got Ghost who was more like an X-Men character and some guy in a suit with a load of useless henchmen and a very  dodgy hair cut. and an even dodgier accent.

2 hours ago, neoELITE said:

RE the villain/s

I thought once

Hide contents

Ant-Man, the Wasp and Hank go to visit Hank's old colleague (played by Laurence Fishbourne) and Fishbourne later reveals that he was experimenting years ago and also had the ability to grow and get bigger, that he could've been the villain alongside Ghost

Instead we got Ghost who was more like an X-Men character and some guy in a suit with a load of useless henchmen and a very  dodgy hair cut. and an even dodgier accent.

Laurence Fishburne was 

Spoiler

this guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Foster_(comics) - the slightly dodgily named Black Goliath.

The actress who plays Ghost is English, but from Grimsby or somewhere awful like that.

Omg, I just checked and her first acting credit was Dark Souls.

2 hours ago, neoELITE said:

RE the villain/s

I thought once

Hide contents

Lawrence Fishbourne states in the film exactly who he is (Bill Foster) and what programme he was working on

Goliath

36 minutes ago, Mr Cochese said:

Laurence Fishburne was 

Hide contents

this guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Foster_(comics) - the slightly dodgily named Black Goliath.

The actress who plays Ghost is English, but from Grimsby or somewhere awful like that.

Omg, I just checked and her first acting credit was Dark Souls.

That could've been great.

22 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

and some guy in a suit with a load of useless henchmen and a very  dodgy hair cut. and an even dodgier accent.

Are you seriously taking issue with the accent of Cletus Van Damme? ;)