Robocop (1987)

Goose

I did a search and we don't seem to have a dedicated Robocop thread. Turns out the film was released 30 years ago today (or yesterday or tomorrow). 

A timeless classic, though our old mate Barry Norman wasn't too impressed. (Can someone embed this link? Can we do that?)

Capture.PNG.5e5113efca76e150ff2fd7e2fc1dbfdc.PNG

It's been way too long since I last watched this. It was the first 18 I ever watched, and I was so young that I imagine it was quite some time before I saw another. My parents wouldn't have intentionally let me anywhere near this at the time but circumstances somehow led to me being allowed to go and rent out a movie from the village video shop - which I'm pretty sure was in what looked very much like a big shed in someone's driveway - on my own, to watch that evening while my parents were out and presumably someone at least nominally kept an eye on us kids. Either the owner of this shop wasn't paying very much attention that day or just didn't give a fuck about renting Robocop to a 10 year old (or thereabouts). I doubt that I had even the slightest clue what I was letting myself in for, and probably just liked the cover, but it has stuck with me as one of my favourite films ever since. I don't remember too much in the way of clear impressions but I think it was a little bit like the first time I watched The Matrix, in that I had never seen anything quite like it before and it was genuinely eye-opening. ED 209 still terrifies at some level even now thanks to that scene, despite the comedy cameo in the sequel.

43 minutes ago, Commander Jameson said:

It was so fucking cool. I devoured the book on holiday and couldn't wait to see it in the cinema. Me and a couple of friends decided to try and get in to the 18-rated film. We were 16 and this was the first time we had tried to pretend to be 18 to get into a film. We get to the cinema (the Warrington Odeon) only to find that RoboCop had ended its run the week before.

Ooh, I went to see my first film here when I was 5 years old!

(It was Ghostbusters II)

I remember seeing an iconic shot on the front of Flicks magazine, the newspaper free at the ABC. 

I loved it. Then Barry Norman screened the 'building Robocop' sequence, which culminated in him at the Mayor's office. 

I think i watched the clip 30+ times.

First 18 film I ever got in to. Bought it on VHS as soon as I could and got the Criterion DVD.

An incredible film.

Every time a film's 30th anniversary is announced now I find myself thinking about what something that was just turning thirty years old seemed like thirty years ago. So in 1987, it would have been the 30th anniversary of The Bridge on the River Kwai, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral and Jailhouse Rock. And thirty years ago back then would have been three years before the '60s even started, twelve years before humans landed on the moon and everything, including real life, was in black and white (except for The Bridge on the River Kwai and Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, both of which were in colour, only people didn't realise as they didn't know what colour was yet). All of which makes me feel old, and confused, and a bit sad.

Robocop is amazing. 

One thing that impresses me is the costume. It's really quite masterful how it looks, and hasn't aged at all. I watched a documentary on it a while ago. It's just fibreglass that's polished up with oil to give it a metal sheen. Who woulda known! 

Oh, and the music... Awesome! 

I remember reading in interviews that the Robocop helmet was really uncomfortable and smelled like vomit.

its a classic, it should have been b-grade but the directors and actors turned it into something a-grade. (The first time Verhoven read the script he apparently hurled it across the room decrying it as trash, only for his wife to tell him that he could make it something special.)

There's a whole lot going on that I think most viewers would miss, someone should link to the doco where he talks about making Robocop an American Christ figure, rising from the dead and walking on water.

8 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Did anyone else ever notice that every time you see the GPS tracker it's completely differently designed? Really bugged me when I was a kid.

I never noticed that, and I've watched it a million times. I thought I'd seen every mistake by now. My fave is still the bit where he's in the police archives, the spike shoots out of his hand, and then when he turns, it's totally obvious that the forearm isn't connected to RoboCop and there's some crew member below screen moving it.

Still an amazing movie though.

The sparks are one of the most poignant parts as it shows he's still got his humanity when he does it even as robocop.

Impressive this came out 30 years ago, dunno if my gf has seen it as it was probably banned in her home country.

there's not 1 second of fat on this movie making it infinitely re-watchable. I will never get bored of it

You're gonna be ONE BAD MOTHER FUCKER

it's great how half the cast ended up in Twin Peaks, I think half of my enjoyment of the show was waiting to see which Robocop alumni would turn up next

43 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

there's not 1 second of fat on this movie making it infinitely re-watchable. I will never get bored of it

You're gonna be ONE BAD MOTHER FUCKER

it's great how half the cast ended up in Twin Peaks, I think half of my enjoyment of the show was waiting to see which Robocop alumni would turn up next

And 24! Across two consecutive seasons you have Robocop (as the big bad, no less), Clarence Boddicker and Emil.

Peter Weller was awesome in Season 5 :wub:

I bought the graphic novel tie-in and remember that, aside from on this front cover, every time his iconic gun was in a cell they'd drawn a stupid-looking drill instead!

I remember reading years later that the graphic novel was really rushed to meet some release deadline so I guess what happened is that the artist saw a still of Murphy unscrewing his hate and assumed that the drill was a gun.

263x400.jpg

I was 5 when I first saw it. My parents were off in the other room and I saw the tape sat on a shelf and stuck it in... I got up to where they shot Murphy to a bloody pulp just as my mother walked in. I was gobsmacked, she was horrified and I got a right slap :lol: She wouldn't let me watch the rest of it either! Was years before I got to see it in full.