IGNORED

Ozark - Jason Bateman, Laura Linney

Goose

Haha I never noticed that at the time. I'm not sure how. Laura Linney's dialogue is out of place in the scene but then it switches focus in the next shot from Ruth to Darlene so it seems like it flows. I guess 'stealing Marty's software' was what they wanted to point out, I don't think it was necessary. 

19 hours ago, Venice Cull said:

Sticking a static JPEG image of Jason Bateman (with that expression) next to Laura Linney whilst she delivers the exposition is one of the oddest (and hilarious) production choices I've seen since in a long time.

Ok so I went back to watch it 😂

2 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

...but I have noticed more clunky expositional dialogue in this season than the previous ones.

Yeah there is a fair bit of this.  It's like they've not had time to review the take and just thought fuck it, that'll do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Episode 8 last series

Spoiler

So Ruth just kills Javi just like that. Her dream as she's sat in the car where she just shoots him played out the same. I liked the scene where Javi threatens the old teacher in the toilet and is so venomous he can't comprehend it..apparently. Obviously Javi was fun to watch and maybe it'd have been better to see more of him as he deserved more than just to be taken out like that, I mean deserved more pain. Don't think he even had a second to see his end. Ultimately the show is like; it's a Ruth episode, it's her journey here, but tv shows are supposed to inject surprise by not having things go as characters plan. I really didn't think Ruth killing Javi won't be as easy and straightforward as that, he's a suspicious pyscho. I didn't think it would go like that. Like a lot of things in this last season I think..could they have not come up with something better. 

At least Javi got to enjoy the  penthouse, almost distracting how expensive that was, I wouldn't know. 

Still waiting for this car crash. 

'I'll rip your tongue out of your mouth!'...bit much. But then I want Wendy to be slowly agonisingly crushed by a steamroller. 'Jesus..all this and you still don't understand people's will?' ...not much will, just pop over to the kids and they'll tell her. And also provide a handy photo too. Why did they tell her when they know it'll severely throw everything else up? 'If you ever cared about Wyatt at all...' 

Wyatt was hooked up with pyscho Darlene, did Charlotte ever fret about that? Really, Wyatt knew what the dangers were being with her, hard to feel poor him. 

'This is not who you are, you're not this' from Marty to Ruth. Can she ever regret killing Javi really? Given he kills people on a whim she's done the world a favour. Not sure Marty thought about that line of reasoning. I'd have gone with 'they'll come after you', although she's past caring so I doubt that'd work more either. 

Just get to the crash..

Episode 9 final season 15 minutes

Spoiler

Some emotion from Marty. A tear, a single lonely tear that's taken lots of deaths and near death experiences for Marty to muster out. 

I'm not sure Wendy does regret. 

The end

Spoiler
Spoiler

A bit disappointing, I think. Very much in the case of Ruth. Though things were going so well, I was kind of expecting it.

Not reading this thread yet since the new episodes landed because avoiding spoilers but:

Love the 90s hip hop soundtrack to the 2 episodes I've seen so far. 

Also really like the way they've basically avoided going down the Breaking Bad route and making the Marty and Wendy into criminal geniuses. Marty is basically just a financial wiz but whenever he tries to be a criminal mastermind he usually fucks things up. Must have been so tempting for the writers to just have made this into a load of sticky situations that the Birds get out of by using cunning and guile but it's not that show and it's much better than it would have been if it was. 

Please everyone post long responses to the ending of this to give me something to read in a week or so when I get through it. Just episode by episode scene by scene line by line character interaction by character interaction stuff, in spoiler boxes. 

Still working through the last few eps and while it’s pretty engaging up to a point, it’s all so plot driven. Basic character traits are quite well established but stall soon and don’t get fleshed out further, after which decisions, relations, mood swings etc aren’t consistent, logical developments anymore but mostly mere happenings in service of adding excitement to the plot and pushing it forward.

This is far from bad TV and I understand these complaints are mostly inherent to the format and its episodic structure and lengthy total runtime. I guess I was just firmly reminded again that I’ll always remain a movies guy first and foremost and want to see the emphasis on characters, cinematography and thematic depth.

Episode 9 last series

Spoiler

Starting to think they're actively trying to not make it good. Marty back in Mexico in an incredibly dangerous situation, which after being held captive before and you'd think 

contemplating his life being over just the thought would terrify him. It's like I can't even be arsed caring for his life, if he doesn't care why should I?

He's doing it for Wendy is he? The Wendy he hates and has said when their life resumes back home he doesn't want to be with her? Why would he? She's the most unlikeable character in a tv show there's ever been.

And I really hated Margaret in Boardwalk Empire, so much I go into a rage whenever I see Kelly Macdonald in anything else, or as herself in interviews. The combination of offering nothing in episode after episode after episode, season after season with that put on voice. I never finished the last season of Boardwalk, the extremely slim possibility of watching Margaret die encourages me to go back. 

The Wendy who sat there as Navarro screamed how much he wanted to kill the Byrde family if only he wasn't in solitary...yes I get the Byrde's obsession with power, but there has to be lines and I think betting on the cartel drug lord to reconsider how much he hates you by giving him an opportunity to kill you is a line where it's like Wendy is wishing death on herself. I don't really get it, you'd think they're on the precipice of solving world peace, not just moving their status in the world up a bit. They're never happy, and it never ends.

It's not that different to House of Cards, their relationship, but at least Frank was getting into genuine positions of power and prestige. Wendy has a foundation and the show spends the whole time trying to convince us she can go into any meeting with anyone and cunt her way out of if. Sorry I'll tone the language down, it's like The Shield where Mackey was impervious to consequences.

When Marty is told, again implausably by the hitman who acts as though he's human for some reason, that Wendy risked all their lives his response is nothing. Just a look of 'oh...well that isn't good'. Even though he's packing his bags to take a trip to Mexico to meet the cartels to tell them Javi is dead. I mean that's the scariest idea I've ever heard. I wouldn't do that for all the money in the world. I certainly wouldn't do it for Wendy. 

The show is shit, absolute fucking shit. And I thought season 3 was great! The characters have lost all plausibility for me, they literally all regularly do stuff they know will put them in danger or get them killed. 

The worst part of the 'it seems they're trying to not make it good' thing is the fucking car crash I've yet to fucking see, fuck me, completely torpedoes any tension whatsoever involving all of the family until that point. I don't see the upside at all for that decision. Someone will have to explain what the point of it is. I keep thinking it must be that the writers thought it was just too oh my god what just happened unbelievable it was worth it.

Anyway i sound angry, I'm using the wifi in a church and it seems like every episode is dragging it's heels. I really don't care that Wyatt died, at all, because he was so stupid to be with Darlene despite her murdering people in front of him. I know Ruth cares and we care about Ruth, it's just that tv thing of the aftermath of deaths when I just want them to get in with it.

It really seems they had nothing more to say or any ideas left. Basically Navarro should have shot Marty and Wendy instead of Helen and it would have been one of the most shocking endings ever. Just silence as the kids find out. 

Stretched plausibility Navarro would kill his most trusted assistant for the Byrdes. 

Season 4 ep 8

Spoiler

Lol wat, Killer Mike for no reason. That took me out of the episode a bit. I always find it immersion-breaking when shows do celebrity cameos.

Season 4 Episode 14 (final episode)

Spoiler

So, the crash then...

Spoiler

Just a huge red herring?

When they all got out unharmed my first thought was they they were actually kaput and everything that happened from that point on would be a fantasy, ending with a final shot of them all dead in the upturned vehicle. But no, it just seemed to be a completely random event that served little purpose in the narrative. Or did I miss something?

Also, you'd think some other cars might have stopped when their drivers witnessed the accident and reached them before the entire family crawled out?

5 hours ago, dug said:

Season 4 ep 8

Reveal hidden contents

Lol wat, Killer Mike for no reason. That took me out of the episode a bit. I always find it immersion-breaking when shows do celebrity cameos.

Who is...oh. That's a real person then. 

Move thoughts/hatred, the problem this show had was that it was never meant to be this many seasons and instead of embracing that it's limped to its end. 

I mean something else

Spoiler

The PI! The guy who just never goes away, who just keeps getting jobs and keeps turning up, all affable and easy going while not posing any threat whatsoever but who promises to because we have to assume the writers haven't spent this long on a character who does nothing. I mean earlier we might think Javi might set his sights on him...nope. Now he's trying to chat up fbi woman. 

I just have little patience, when a show has mere episodes left i do expect it to ramo up the tempo and tension, do something, not have pointless PI guy stroke a cat while answering his phone. Now Wendy's dad has turned up, and to be fair dies wind Wendy up so had some use, but are we supposed to care about the truth about Ben exposing Wendy. It's just too late for this, and when the cartel want them dead that takes precedent. This Ben stuff was alluded to ages ago, it should have come up then. It's too late now. Bad bad show, honestly. At least now. Still think season 3 was great and there was quality throughout. 

I think the only word is underwhelming. Feels like it was almost a victim of how good it got at its best, because it was always unlikely to reach those heights again.

7 hours ago, Timmo said:

I think the only word is underwhelming. Feels like it was almost a victim of how good it got at its best, because it was always unlikely to reach those heights again.

Yeah. Except I never thought it got that great. It was pretty good most of the way through. This season was disappointing though. 

Spoiler

Just not very dramatic. Killing Javi right at the start and keeping Omar in prison for the entire season severely limited the threat factor. 

Ruth's death felt like it was just done for shock value because "hey let's kill the character everyone loves to show how edgy we are."

Having her killed by Javi's mum - a bit-part character who was only just introduced this season and who no one really cares about - wasted the opportunity to at least give her a dramatic death. If she had to go, it should have been Marty or Wendy pulling the trigger. 

Sub-plot with Wendy's dad and the PI was just flat and unsatisfying. 

Spoiler

Ruth had to die. She isn’t someone who gets to win. I dearly wanted to her to win obviously, but she doesn’t win.

They were pretty on the nose with it in the last scene right? The PI guy basically explains the meaning of the ending out loud. People who scheme and play the game and have connections, money and power whilst stepping on whoever else they need to. They win.

I think Wendy or Marty killing her would be too silly and too direct for them. 

Her dying while they’re at a foundation party, having one of their conversations where they are oh so sad that this had to happen and their hands are tied was spot on.

The Byrdes keep at least one layer of separation if they can help it. Like when Marty had the Navarro lieutenant killed and Wendy said it was him playing Navarro so he’s not responsible. Or Marty justifying his own behaviour over and over again by saying it’s for the family/Wendy’s fault/out of his control. 

Marty is good with money, has insane weaselling skills and can rationalise and compartmentalise his evil actions pretty effectively. He tries to convince himself and others that he feels bad about it or has his reasons but it wears pretty thin on the people whose lives he ruins and us as the audience by the end. Ruth saw through him by the end of course, but he still gets to win.

Wendy by the end foregoes the “I’m a a good person in a bad situation” schtick, goes full Priti Patel evil and, like Priti, also gets to win. 

The car crash was used as a bit of a red herring but I quite liked Wendy saying it’s a sign they’d make it out alive. So we as the audience were like “the fucking hubris on this motherf…” and then she does indeed make it out alive. 

And then our beloved Ruth who has grown and learned and scratched and clawed and pulled herself up by her bootstraps etc etc has finally started winning… so of course she dies because the game is not fair.

The Byrdes have so much blood on their hands, but Ruth can’t insulate herself from the consequences of her actions like they can.

At least she felt fully justified in her actions and did absolutely no weaselling whatsoever. It was noble, it was authentically Ruth. Marty was always far less cool in the face of a gun and did all of the weaselling. Of course he’s the one who gets to live. 

Ending it with the kids back under their influence made it all the more bleak. I didn’t find this season as gripping as the show has been at its best, but the Byrdes getting away with it and that leaving an incredibly sour taste in the mouth was a pretty effective ending I thought. 

Episode 10 last season

Spoiler

It really bothers me the show is going to end with that car crash. :lol: Just because it's as anti climatic as it gets. I do think this show is up there for out of nowhere shocking moments. Darlene shooting the cartel guy at the end of season 1 is one of my favs. And even though I saw Helen's death coming (as did most did), the way it was done was effective. 

At some interesting things in this episode, Marty being in a situation where he has 'to act tough' and assertive. But this kind of thing, being pulled into the cartel world without intending to be and before you know ordering the death of someone should be so much more dramatic, think how the first 3 episodes of Breaking Bad go. 

There's so much filler. This new sheriff. I should stop moaning, finish it so I can moan to the full extent instead of these compromised moans. 

I really think they could have pulled in some gifted writers before this season who were fans of the show and asked them for ideas on what they could possibly do with the time they have got and come up with something wild and interesting. I don't think there's any indication the writers are interested.

Episode 11 season 4

Spoiler

I'm not following how Camila, the sister of Novarro is 'lobbying OFAC to keep Novarro on the list', like how would she do that, how does that work. 

Wendy sanctioned the murder of her brother, are we supposed to care aboug her and Marty fretting about killing an innocent cartel guy? Also Marty is smart but not smart enough to know that when someone is being tortured at some point they'll tell you what you want to hear to make the torture stop. 

Was Ruth always a big hip hop fan, did I miss her listening to stuff every time she's travelling or sat down staring into space, I must have. 

Why do characters find it easy to track down people they've not seen for years, or get a meeting with them. Why also do they find it easy to convince them to give up their comfortable life to team up with them again. Then they go 'do you know much I took to escape this shit hole?' 

Why hasn't Jonah come back home yet? What's he still doing there? 

Every scene is filler, every scene is boring, feels like someone would have to dig deep to salvage any good stuff in here, I can't think of anything. Another meeting of the PI and Ruth! In her trailer but in the morning this time rather than at night when it got nervous. 

Marty asked to take over from Navarro  permanently, of course. why are they doing this again. marty I mean. can't he just do boring accountancy stuff then come home and watch tv, have a barbecue on the weekend in his garden. like at what point does he go..I can't be arsed with this shit. Many people choose less stressful jobs with a lower wage for an easier life. Marty is not remotely ambitious, nor devoted to Wendy who is. 

Just 20 minutes in to this episode...

Episode 11 season 4 40 minutes through 

Spoiler

I'm just hate watching now, can a mod just ban me from the thread for a week. The Blue Cat owner who Ruth had pulled back has found her purpose in her revenge, returning to see Tuck who I don't remember seeing before? He's left his job at the Blue Cat and she's angry about it. As jumping the shark moments go, her returning to Ruth to say she wants in doesn't seem outlandish or memorable but wow this is bad. Worst final season of anything I've seen, worse than Lost. 

Any normal person just rings up Marty and says 'heh I know you've been busy so probably missed Tuck left the Blue Cat, can you get him a job again?' 

'Why are you doing this?'

'Either I do this or I go back in that trailer and I never come out'

wow Ruth that sounds a bit fatalistic are you alright that doesn't sound healthy at all...

that's good cos I wasn't too keen on going back to Florida (cos the Ozarks is so appealing right)...some not believable light relief about dating guys with pythons. 

I love the insertion of Camilla out of nowhere to replace the Javi they killed to be an unconvincing scheming villain. Where was she before? 

I found it a bit odd how

Spoiler

Jonah jumped so quickly back into being fully invested in the family, having spent the whole season trying to get away.

29 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I think that was the purpose of the crash.

Agreed, but, why ?

Spoiler

For the five seconds Laura Linney wasn’t moving ? It would’ve been more plausible if she’d been hospitalised and unconscious for a few days or something, but they basically got a cab home from the crash.

@Loik V credern I hope you are not banned from this thread for a week because your posts are not only bang on but incredible to read, it's everything I hated about it and more. Please finish the episodes and the summaries.