IGNORED

Rllmuk Fantasy Premier League 2017/18

Commander Jameson

I've been avoiding the Liverpool midfield due to rotation fears - is anyone truly nailed on?

Spent the last hour tinkering with my team and I still can't get rid of Kane. Jesus is the obvious option, but Aguero might be resurgent and get the lions share, or Jesus might get broken again. I feel KDB, who will be serving them both, is probably the safest bet for a reliable, if slightly smaller, share.

Decided Valencia was more hype than substance and ditched him, freeing up enough funds to get both Zaha and Willian (it was really nothing) in midfield. Can't decide on a keeper, though - Elliot's nailed on for the backup slot, but who to pick for the main one in the 5m range? I suspect Pickford eventually, but Everton's opening fixtures are hellish. I try not to play a keeper and a defender from the same team as a rule, but I'm tempted to get Forster in, given the quality of Southampton's fixtures, despite having Bertrand already.

I'm on me tod in the office tomorrow, so I'll probably spend all day poking at it.

11 hours ago, Azrael said:

I've been messing with my team all day and still can't finalise it. Think currently most of my funds are in my midfield - Mane, Salah, KDB, Alli + a cheapo bench player - which leaves me with little to go for Striker wise. 

How much is Tammy Abraham at Swansea? I'm not playing this year, and maybe it's just because I'm a Swans fan, but I think he's going to be our top scorer this year. He's already got 3 in pre-season games, and as a young loan kid he's probably pretty cheap. 

28 minutes ago, Headache said:

How much is Tammy Abraham at Swansea? I'm not playing this year, and maybe it's just because I'm a Swans fan, but I think he's going to be our top scorer this year. He's already got 3 in pre-season games, and as a young loan kid he's probably pretty cheap. 

He's 5.5m, is he likely to play? Llorente is injured isn't he? But then Ayew is only 5m so might be a safer option due to experience. 

I thought I had finalised my team last night but of course I haven't.

I'm continuing my usual practice of going cheap for GKs and defence and going for mainly elite players in midfield and up front.

I also always go very cheap on the bench which can sometimes mean I'm operating a player or two down in some gameweeks but it isn't usually too much of an issue.

I am currently trying to decide between Kane, Fabregas and Mane or Jesus, Salah and Alli.

My team as it stands is…

Foster, Elliot

Daniels, Stephens, Alexander-Arnold, Long, Rangel

De Bruyne, Mane, Zaha, Fabregas, Carroll

Kane, Lukaku, Chicharito

Any thoughts at all would be appreciated!

Well, I've broken the £4.5m habit of a lifetime and gone with a premium keeper in the form of De Gea. I don't fancy the £4.5 keepers this year (although Begovic and Hart have potential), so I'd be looking at £5.0 anyway, and an extra £0.5 for a seemingly rotation-proof way into the Man United defence seems like a good deal - I want a piece of that bus-parking (in)action! Good fixtures too, and should be easy to downgrade in future if I need the cash.

Paying for that meant downgrading Dawson for Dunk, but I have a bad feeling about WBA this year, and I was a bit short on promoted assets.

Total spending spread:

GK - £9.5

DEF - £25

MID - £34.5

ATK - £31

That's a fatter GK/DEF than last year, and a thinner MID, and most of it is De Bruyne. Not much change in attack - I started last season with Aguero & Ibra!

N.B. may change all of this at least twice by lunch.

2 hours ago, Azrael said:

He's 5.5m, is he likely to play? Llorente is injured isn't he? But then Ayew is only 5m so might be a safer option due to experience. 

He's been coming off the bench in the friendlies and scoring. Not sure if he'll start yet, but we've given him the no10 shirt, Ayew has no18, and I think that's a good indication of what to expect as the season goes forward. Abraham scored 26 for Bristol last season, and he seems to have brought that with him. 

Last year it was the Siggy and Llorente show. Set pieces provided by Siggy onto Llorente's head. With both of them not featuring I think you're going to see Swansea going back to a possession and passing game, and I think Abraham with his pace and movement is going to do really well. (At least that's the dream.) 

Yeah, the United defence option is a..thing to decide. I always go for 4.5 keeper, and would be relying on Baily being a cert. Spurs tend to start slow, as do Alli and Kane, or so it goes. Liverpool have the CL qualifiers mixed in. Man United strikers always start strong. Only confident of Man City scoring loads at the beginning. Did it last season and even under Mancini were putting 6 past Spurs in August. So then it's whether to go for Kane or Aguero. Already have Jesus and KDB and Danilo. Except Mendy will be back soon. Walker is expensive. Every time I fantasize about having lots of skillful midfielders even though their overall points might be similar to a 6.5 priced defender. Alonso for instance is 7, 177 points last season. More than Ozil, Mane, Son, Coutinho, Pedro, Sterling. But they're explosive! And will improve this season! And people will figure Chelsea out and they've more games and will concede more! If you pick a few 6-6.5 defenders it means being left with average midfielders and those 4.5 forwards with weird names who you've never heard of. 

After all that...Alli is great away from home. Coutinho might play, Southampton have easy fixtures. Cedric unfit, Bertrand 0.5 more. Zaha is one of those who is good and improving massively and has been picked by football scout so will likely do well but I've never been keen on Palace for goals. Every attacking player who has gone there hasn't flourished. 

On 11/08/2017 at 14:13, Headache said:

He's been coming off the bench in the friendlies and scoring. Not sure if he'll start yet, but we've given him the no10 shirt, Ayew has no18, and I think that's a good indication of what to expect as the season goes forward. Abraham scored 26 for Bristol last season, and he seems to have brought that with him. 

Last year it was the Siggy and Llorente show. Set pieces provided by Siggy onto Llorente's head. With both of them not featuring I think you're going to see Swansea going back to a possession and passing game, and I think Abraham with his pace and movement is going to do really well. (At least that's the dream.) 

I might have to revise my thoughts about Tammy because I forgot to answer one very important question. Where are the assists going to come from? He might be great at putting the ball in the back of the net, but Swansea don't seem to have someone who can attack through the midfield and provide those much needed assists. 

If Siggy leaves in the next week, we really need to secure a good attacking midfielder. Looking at Mesa's stats and he seems to be more of a deep lying player who'll move the ball up from the back. 

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

Good game for me to leave Alonso on the bench. :(

:lol:

Any chance he could make it into the team if someone else doesn't play. 

Also who else do you have that you decided to bench a £7m player? 

Got rid of Danilo and Ayew (for Alonso and Hernandez). Assist and Goal from the two I transfer out. Classic  FL.

Did have Daniels playing so that's alright, Elliot on my bench with 7 points though so no doubt Foster will be  conceding in his game. 

2 hours ago, The Grand Pursuivant said:

Did you take a hit for those transfers?

Aye, had 2 free transfers but had to make 3 changes (KDB to Richalison) to afford the changes. Unless Alonso bags another couple of goals it wasn't worth it. 

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Azrael said:

Monday night transfers to get rid of Mane before everyone does and his price drops. Now just got to hope for no injuries to my players that have European games this week else I'll need to  take a hit on further transfers come Friday.  

Did you get him in for 9.5 or 9.6?

If you got him in for 9.5 you can wait longer. Unlikely he will drop twice in one week, and if he does he won't go to 9.4 until the end of the week.

3 minutes ago, Azrael said:

Got him at 9.5 and didn't consider that. Last season I always stuck with players longer than I should have or took too long to do transfers, this season I seem to be too eager with my transfers. :facepalm: 

Unfortunate. Who did you switch him for?

Transfers like this are far more about luck than timing though. I had two choices for my transfer over the international break. I had Fraser and Ake, both likely to go down but Ake injured. Fraser looked likely to go first, so I switched him out purely based on that, with the idea of switching Ake out for a hit if I needed to (I hate absorbing early drops in price). I then basically held my breath to see if Ake would go down, and the night it looked like he was, his injury flag was cleared and his NTI reset. Pure dumb luck that saved me 4 points.

Then obviously Mane goes and ruins my GW, but I don't need to tell you about that!

14 hours ago, The Grand Pursuivant said:

Unfortunate. Who did you switch him for?!

Jumped on the Choupo Moting bandwagon after his two goals. Probably not the wisest decision but he's cheap and plays as an attacker and with the money left over I can switch Hernandez to Morata, Jesus or Aguero should I wish.