The Umbrella Academy coming to Netflix

Sure, but that isn't set up in season one.

If she is a loner rejected by her family and desperate to latch onto any sort of affection, I'd could go with that. But season two is played out as if she was always looking for that special women and knew exactly what to do the moment she found her. It wasn't even a "desperate for a mother" thing. 

Or, alternatively, we find out she's interested in women at exactly the point where it becomes relevant. I'm not sure why we would need a massive signposted example to show THIS WOMAN IS GAY in the first season for any other reason than because the idea that people can be sexually fluid at almost any time is threatening to some people.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

Or, alternatively, we find out she's interested in women at exactly the point where it becomes relevant. I'm not sure why we would need a massive signposted example to show THIS WOMAN IS GAY in the first season for any other reason than because the idea that people can be sexually fluid at almost any time is threatening to some people.

You're being very disingenuous here. All I said was, i didn't buy into the character suddenly falling for the mum. I'm not commenting on her right or the writers right to have the character do whatever they want. And I have no problem with the direction they took. It was just a moment of "oh, shes loves the mum now ... ok. fair enough, she'll not be missing lover boy then ?"

I'm not asking for a big old gay sign. And she didn't appear to be someone discovering a sudden attraction to the same sex for the first time. The Mum looked more stunned by the sudden change of the relationship. 

I understand that she clearly needed to find some affection, and a replacement mum would have fulfilled that role to my mind. But to fall in love with the mother and then persuade here to run away together was a bit of leap from the previous series. The amnesia just felt like hand waving to explain the change of attraction. 

2 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

All I said was, i didn't buy into the character suddenly falling for the mum

It wasn't sudden though, there were hints all the way through the show, especially the admiring looks they always give each other. From very early on I always thought there was more to their relationship than simple platonic friendship. 

I finished season 2 yesterday.

I was so certain that I watched season 1 much longer ago than when it actually came out (early 2019), because of how little I could remember of it. A factor of 2020 being 2020, perhaps. As a result this didn't feel like a retread of the same plot to me while I was watching, but in hindsight and after reading a few of the posts in here, it's evident that the screenwriters were being way too safe when they sketched out season 2. That doesn't change the fact that I enjoyed it, maybe even more than the first season, but if this gets renewed for a third then it's clear the show runners are going to need to shake it up a bit.

Five continued to be a highlight for me, Gallagher plays the role of a bitter old man trapped in the body of a teenager very well. I was shocked to learn he wasn't a 20-something playing a teen but he is actually 16 years old. I didn't like Klaus very much in the first season but he grew on me very quickly in this one. It was nice to see Ellen Page do something other than mope. The rest of the cast need fleshing out, but I couldn't say I hated any of them towards the end.

17 hours ago, revlob said:

I didn't like Klaus very much in the first season but he grew on me very quickly in this one.

Absolutely this. I wasn't keen on his story in the first series, but he was one of the highlights this season, funny as fuck! :)

On 06/08/2020 at 13:08, Sidewaysbob said:

It was just a moment of "oh, shes loves the mum now ... ok. fair enough, she'll not be missing lover boy then ?"

She doesn’t remember him. Amnesia does that.

On 06/08/2020 at 15:55, Thor said:

It wasn't sudden though, there were hints all the way through the show, especially the admiring looks they always give each other. From very early on I always thought there was more to their relationship than simple platonic friendship. 

They’d also lived together for over a month. It wasn’t sudden.

Managed to watch both seasons back to back because of fortuitous timing, there is a fair bit of going over the same stuff in season 2 but the cast look a lot more comfortable and some of the characters  get to breathe and develop a bit more. 

I much preferred season 2, I hought it was really good actually, avoiding a lot of the pitfalls second seasons often get

like bringing back Hazel, giving him 20 years of good living in 20 seconds, but then immediately killing him off. Satsifying and efficient.

Also fewer unearned music numbers, and no friding of the women, like the cop in s1.

Just finished season 2, which I thought was a damn sight more entertaining than season 1 (Which was fine).  Season 2 was much funnier I felt.  Also the opener was an absolute belter of a 'superhero moment'. 

I've been watching this with my son and it's a lovely way to end the evening. It's certainly a cut above similar stuff like Heroes, The Flash, The 100 and The Magicians (all of which I gave up on a couple of episodes in). The visual design is superb and I find the soundtrack choices quirky yet appropriate, like Take On Me in MGS V.

I'm only on episode 6 but enjoying all the characters, apart from Allison who seems to suck the life out of most scenes.

Season 1 definitely loses momentum around episode 7 but I still enjoyed it. I think one of the things I like the most is that it doesn't spoon feed its audience. There's some subtle and not so subtle call backs, some lyrical character studies (I'm thinking Hazel and his ornithology in particular) and some poetry among the explosions and crumbling buildings.

Looking forward to season 2 tonight.

Am a bit late to this after dismissing it first time round. Starts a bit slow but gets really good. Am up to episode 7 and, yes, it lost a bit of momentum but the characters (or some of them at least) are coming to life. Klaus and Hazel in particular. 

Penny dropped that Hazel played Ed Kemper in Mindhunter. He was excellent in that also. 

• 1 month later...

Season 2 was much better than season 1 (which I still enjoyed a lot once it got going) and it had a very confident tone to it, like everyone involved was very sure about what they were doing. The characters were much more entertaining, particularly Diego who went from being massively bland in season 1 to someone who was compelling, funny and sympathetic.. a real hero indeed. The only character who doesn't really work for me still is Luther, who's a bit too whiny for my taste (although he was excellent in the stuff with the two Fives). And speaking of Five, what a find Aidan Gallagher is. He's bloody amazing in every scene he's in - by far the most fun role (Klaus has his moments, though, obvs), and you really believe he's much older than his actual years.

I've just watched both seasons recently. I think it's great.

Season 1 was a bit ehhhhh at times, but I was always interested where it'd take the plot next. The family were a bit irritating with each other, but S2 knocked it out of the park with fleshing them out and making them feel like an actual family who know each other.

I checked the comics, and it seems that after a loose adaptation of the comic for S1, it just goes and does its entirely own thing after that.

• 2 weeks later...