McSpeed

Gran Turismo Sport - Mondays 8PM UK forum races!

43 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

@McSpeed Are we going to do a Championship test? Need to buy any cars? I probably can’t make it until about 20:45.

I'd say we just get some great racing going, starting off with those 350Z's.

Then we'll do various race cars (including Gr. 3's of course) and try out some things for a series :)

2 hours ago, McSpeed said:

Yes! Tonight at 8:00 PM UK time :) Be there.

We'll race Nissans 350Z around Alsace and do some other cool races. It's about time we stepped up again!

Good stuff, see you all later.

My pads still being a dick. I've never had so many problems with controllers before (the only one I've ever had to replace was a PS2 pad the dog chewed through the cable to). I'm not in town to buy compressed air till wednesday, so will see if it's behaving after that. I've only noticed it behaving wierdly on GT though.

Indeed it was! That semi-endurance Gr. 3 race was as exciting as our championship rounds - including me being quick of the line and wasting a chance at victory by overdriving as seriously focussed @Beezer had already passed me :rolleyes:

Actually, I enjoyed the Nissan 350Z races even more - SO much fun powering 'm through the tighter turns of Alsace and Brands Hatch GP :D

What was up with the tyres? They were made of cheese! Did we have a higher wear rate?

That was my first spin since the last time we raced. Good to get going again! 

For some reason getting off the line and as I came out pits my wheel would be in 3rd, patched firmware of Drivehub so hopefully that’ll sort it. 

Good fun racing, didn’t think much of 350Z I’m afraid, I think Brands Indy might have been a better match. Gr3 was fun as usual though, I’m just a bit out of practice.

Was good fun. Enjoyed the 350Z on brands hatch myself although I definitely benefitted for not having strict penaltys on cutting corners. It wasn't intentional mind but I don't think I'd have won if there were penalties for that. Struggled in the gr3 just a week after posting good times in the daily at the Nurburgring in the Audi. Couldn't get it together with the tyre wear. 

Dangit, first try at tonights nations and this time I was actually in the same ballpark as the rest of the field. My best practice time could have been pole - sadly I only managed 11th.

Then I misjudged my driving ability and followed someone too close into the final sweeping turn at Yamagiwa II on the first lap, they braked unexpectedly - instant 3 second penalty for me, plus what was probably a revenge punt into the hairpin at the end of the start finish straight. Dropped to last, and was only able to climb back to 17th. Still, I had a better race than the pole sitter who finished one place behind me.

This time I'm going for a do-over as soon as the wife lets me on the tv. I can't just bin the first race where I've been legitimately on the pace.

I just noticed it's like a complete reversal of my usual qually/race results, ha.

Checking in after my retry - definitely a good choice! I actually grabbed pole on my first lap of qually and held it until the last lap of the session when I got bumped by a couple of hundredths.

In the race I got muscled off track in the chicane on lap one and dropped to 5th, which became 3rd again after others made unforced errors. The leader was about 8 seconds clear of me, but the two in front pitted at the end of lap 6, one lap earlier than my planned stop. I briefly led the race until I came in to the pits on the next pass. So as I was exiting the pit lane my position showed as 9th, but as I hit the track it flicked to 1st and then 2nd as the leader blew past me into the first turn. That was it for the race, the gap widened and then shortened on the final lap as I guess he struggled on his 1 lap older tyres - I nearly caught him but came in .600 behind in second place. Best result in a long time! I'll try not to think about how close that was to a pole->win.

I was a bit puzzled as to how I rejoined so far up so I checked out the replay - leader came out of his pitstop into the middle of the pack who were all on the same strategy as me, and they were not driving very cleanly so I guess he had to be extra cautious. Whereas I came out pretty much where I started, because nobody was trying to run longer than 7 laps.

Funny how I abandoned all thoughts of fuel saving and trying to work the tyres to my advantage only to have strategy play a big role for me anyway.

• Upvote 3

I'd be alot better at this if I could just replicate my qualifying time in the actual race rather than struggling to get anywhere near it!

Whoever set the daily needs a smack in the chops, yes you can have a fuel strategy but you've got to use the same tyre!!:quote:

My pads still being a dick, I've no idea why it doesn't like GTSport as it's the only game it's acting up on. However I did last night's manufacturers race with the dpad and did alright, started 11, finished 7th and there was some eventful moments.

https://crispyandsushi.wordpress.com/2019/02/14/gt-sport-2019-fia-manufacturers-exhibition-series-round-5-fuji-international-speedway/

• Upvote 1

BALLS!! I didn't realise that was Fuji last night or I'd have done that instead of the daily.

I see from the vid the high standard of driving round Fuji was maintained....I'd have called that prick in the BMW a bell end for starters.

7 minutes ago, marsh said:

BALLS!! I didn't realise that was Fuji last night or I'd have done that instead of the daily.

I see from the vid the high standard of driving round Fuji was maintained....I'd have called that prick in the BMW a bell end for starters.

He was at it the entire race from what I saw. Likewise the guy in the VW, I did so enjoy cutting the pit lane entry right in front of him as we both entered! The guy in the blue Nissan(?), eusebiowhatever was the worst culprit though

I've been test driving the Tesla for the next round - man that's a weird thing to drive. No gears and it's whisper quiet - you can clearly hear the sound of the Shinkansen going past on the Tokyo course. Rear engine, rear wheel drive too, which might explain why the arse keeps swinging round at the hairpin losing me loads of time.

Great to get back racing again.

I thought the 350z was a very well balanced car, and a fun drive, although it probably would have been better suited to the indy track at Brands.

Gr3 mini endurance race was fun as usual, although I ruined any chance of a victory after throwing the car off the track on the first lap, whilst tailgating @McSpeed (did the same in the Brands Hatch race too!)

Was a decision ever made on what series of cars we would be running for the next championship?

• Upvote 1

After 3 days of endless practice on the expressway with the Tesla to better my chances of surviving tonight's nations race, I qualified 9th.

Then I only went and jumped the start ><

Nerves got to me and for some reason I just randomly let off the brake - instant 5 second penalty and I was forced to drop right to the back. Still, I made up 11 places by the end of the race and finished 8th. I guess I may have gone well if I'd started properly? I seem determined to sabotage my own chances in every way possible.

Speaking of sabotaging oneself...

Last night's manufacturers race was really tough going. My Mercedes just eats up the mediums, especially the fronts, around the Nurburgring GP circuit so I only got one good lap in qualifying which still only put me in 14th for the race!

The race itself was just as tough, I couldn't maintain any pace and thought maybe a two stopper would work so I could run medium-soft-soft but fucked up by choosing hard in my pit stop. Finished 13th in the end.

Full race report:

https://wp.me/pWXKT-36

I'll have to try to pull myself away from DiRT Rally 2.0 tonight but all up for more forum racing in GT Sport :)

Haven't gotten around to setting up a new series yet - this will be no sooner than early March (as I'm away for F1 testing next week).

How about some general good races again tonight? Maybe do a Gr. 2 of even Gr. 1 race too!

3 hours ago, McSpeed said:

I'll have to try to pull myself away from DiRT Rally 2.0 tonight but all up for more forum racing in GT Sport :)

Haven't gotten around to setting up a new series yet - this will be no sooner than early March (as I'm away for F1 testing next week).

How about some general good races again tonight? Maybe do a Gr. 2 of even Gr. 1 race too!

It would be good to test the Group C cars, they were good fun before Xmas. They’re 1 million each though, so as long as people are happy to spend their hard earned money :).

However I probably won’t be on until after FA Cup match, 21:45ish if no extra time.

Group C it is! They're wonderful cars, very powerful yet surprisingly well manageable. I still have my Mazda 787b waiting to go out again :)

Will be around from 8PM, please shoot me a message when you're up for racing so I can add you to the party.

On 19/02/2019 at 22:23, marsh said:

I'm back next monday, what's the homework?

I won't be around next week sadly, then having just landed in Barcelona for F1 testing 8-) The week after though, very much up for more.

We missed some people last Monday, though I did like the Gr. 4 race on Suzuka (if only brief one) and the Group C's around Yamigawa - they are fast and brutal yet not too hard to control. Could be a great pick for a 'historical' series!