rllmuk
McSpeed

Gran Turismo Sport - Mondays 8:30 PM UK forum races!

Tonight's manufacturers cup race was fun, I'd missed out on Wednesday as I was run down (have been all week tbh) It was against a whole bunch of SP-B drivers as I'd been dragged into that lot, I qualified 8th. Got a 2 second penalty on lap 2 due to someone losing it in the pack, in not sure what I did (and forgot to save the replay before quitting! :(). I pitter on lap 6, iirc, and switched to the soft tyre hoping to make some time up but fucked up by refuelling and making the car heavier (as I wasn't paying attention). But the front left soft tyre only lasted till lap 9 and I had to put to the mediums sooner than I wanted to but thanks to some consistency on my part, lack of consistency on others and 6 people (overall) quitting during my last stint I managed to go from 13th after my final pit stop to finish 6th which is my highest finish this season.

• Upvote 2

Have we got a list of usernames of peeps who still play this regularly? I’ve Only got a few you on my friends list and half the fun is comparing times etc.  Mine is JUNKERDENB , feel free to add me.

I can hold my own (oo-err) in DR B races, but I feel I need to learn how to drive a car with Traction control off to really step up my lap times as I’ve noticed the best racers don’t use it, but I think it would harm me in the short term as it would make me less consistent in races. Anyone on here really quick who can give me some tips?

Also has anyone got into making liveries and decals? Is there a rllmuk one or anything? 

I still play regularly, but none of my friends show on any of my leaderboards except for circuit experience. The boards seem to be regional (I'm on the Japanese servers). Circuit experience also gets the times wiped with every update to handling.

Time trialling is a lot of wasted potential.

They've changed the timings for the FIA races, rather than being 10 past the hour with four races for both the Nation's and Manufacturers cups they've now put entry closure at dead on the hour with only 3 races each alternated (so Nations at 5, 7 and 9, Manufacturers at 6, 8 and 10) so I missed the 8pm race by a minute and just cannot be arsed to wait around for the 10pm race.

The timing change is unfortunate for me, as the best time slot for me to race in Nations was 21:00. Now Nations is only at 20:00 or 22:00.

So the last round of my first season has finished, and it was a cracker of a race at La Sarthe. The fast pace on the leaderboards was 3:15, and I could barely get out of the 3:30s - my optimal time was 3:26 in the R92CP but could never string it all together. The real risk of trying to hot lap is the track limit penalties are brutal round here. With tyre wear set at 13x I felt sure I would need to use the hard compound, but to get close to the faster pace without risking penalties I considered mediums. Unfortunately custom races only let you set tyre wear up to 10x so I couldn't test it offline. Lobbies don't have that restriction so I set up the same race conditions and had a go ahead of time, it was a duel with a guy that was marginally faster than me. I kept him behind me on mediums, and pitted after three laps. After that I never caught up again, so that confirmed a no stop was required.

In the real race, I qualified in 4th. The tyres felt odd at the start, but I held position until Tertre Rouge, where despite my best efforts to avoid it I still picked up a 1 second penalty for shortcutting the track. That was me down to 7th. A few of the people in front were on a one stop strategy and so I got 5th back at about half distance. The closing laps were spectacular. My tyres were dying, and I was getting harassed by a Toyota TS-050 in all the corners - he would either be right alongside or marginally pull ahead, but the Nissan seems to have monster grunt and I could pull back the position every time. We continued neck and neck like that until the final lap, when his tyres gave up at Indianapolis and he spun. I just had to tiptoe round the Porsche curves to take it home in 4th. My best points score of the season, and definitely the most enjoyable race. My DR recovered by 1000 as well so hopefully I can start the next season with more scoring potential.

I am really impressed with the general standard of driving in FIA races (at B/S) but incidents do happen. The better thing is that my SR has only had a slight wobble from 99 to 97 and back again in all the 8 rounds. This is so much better than dailies where one bad race would frequently see me drop 40 odd SR points. I think I'm FIA exclusive now.

P.S. any reaction to the news that Super Formula cars are coming to GT Sport at the end of March?

1 hour ago, Darwock said:

P.S. any reaction to the news that Super Formula cars are coming to GT Sport at the end of March?

Oh hell yes! :D

WOW! I'll start painting them up as F1 cars. :blah:

In other news I'd been wanting one of these for years and finally pulled the trigger:

image.png.7286fcdf9fb7021362e5b7822649862b.png

Holy crap it's amazing. I have it far, far lower than that image, so it's more a F1 style seating position. It's super comfy and sturdy enough. But the big thing is the seating position frees up my ankles to work properly. I was using a wheelstand for the past 8/9 years and I always struggled to get comfortable. With this the seating angle means l have WAY more precision in my foot movements. It's glorious. I can drive in GT now without TC. 

Are we racing tonight? :eyebrows:

• Upvote 1

We sure are!

I came back rather ill from F1 testing in Barcelona (apparently the 'winter testing virus' returns stronger every year - even Toto Wolff was suffering from it) but do feel a bit better now.

Let's do open forum racing tonight starting at 8PM UK time.

Will be mucking about in DiRT Rally 2.0 before that, so anyone feeling like joining in there too, feel free to do so!

Also, could @MattyP or a mod change the thread title to Monday, by the way? :)

• Upvote 2

Update: I may have to sit out tonight after all, that paddock virus struck back a bit so I'm in bed again.

I may be around tonight later but by all means go ahead with some racing when you feel like it!

7 minutes ago, marsh said:

Doubtful tonight, seems pointless to do a race and then bin it off for a lexus loving Norfolk broadcaster.

iPlayer is your friend.

13 minutes ago, marsh said:

Doubtful tonight, seems pointless to do a race and then bin it off for a lexus loving Norfolk broadcaster.

Eh?

10 hours ago, McSpeed said:

We sure are!

I came back rather ill from F1 testing in Barcelona (apparently the 'winter testing virus' returns stronger every year - even Toto Wolff was suffering from it) but do feel a bit better now.

Let's do open forum racing tonight starting at 8PM UK time.

Will be mucking about in DiRT Rally 2.0 before that, so anyone feeling like joining in there too, feel free to do so!

Also, could @MattyP or a mod change the thread title to Monday, by the way? :)

I'm not around at the moment (well on a mobile device) and can't seem to update the thread title so mods will have to cover this one!

What's the time you set and what car? I'm not doing dailies anymore but I want to keep my hand in until the next FIA season, so will do qually runs.

I can't see any Euro friend's times unfortunately :(

I need to try a couple of other cars, as much as I like the corvette, it's not going to find it's way onto the global leaderboards....

Having said that, I'm not sure the supra is for me either.

:blink:

I have no idea why I can hustle it round there. I suspect it's because 90% of the corners are blind.

I'll have another go tonight in the Merc, I'm certain I can shave another 2 seconds off my time.

Like John any chance of beating your time is gone. Since we are not racing just yet why don't we do a time trial showdown. Pick a car and a track.

Guessed we would get one of the Japanese tracks when they announced the Super Formula update!  Looking forward to testing it out with the new batch of cars.

I had a quick blast around Bathurst last night, and managed to get within a second of@marsh time, can't see my bettering it anytime soon though.    Made the mistake of entering the daily race, after I gave up on bettering my time, and it ended in disaster.  I just cant string consistent laps together around Bathurst, didn't help that i was getting penalties galore due to other people knocking me into the barriers, I wont be rushing to enter the race again in a hurry.

@mexostime trial sounds like a good idea whilst we are waiting to race.  Any suggestions for car and track?

Bathurst is my kryptonite. @marsh is using some crazy other dimension shit to get those times. It's the only logical conclusion. 

@Batmobile How about... Ferrari F40 around Brands GP circuit.  (Not a GR3, I know right!)