rllmuk
McSpeed

Gran Turismo Sport - Mondays 8:00 PM UK forum races!

6 hours ago, Sun Tze said:

Those S2000's are great, especially in he rain. Thanks for hosting PeeBee, will make sure i have a working headset next time around. Thanks for the racing everyone, and again sorry for that big bump on the first corner of the RBR Gwidan. Think this was the first time i didn't get slammed into the chicane at Dragon Trail which was nice for a change. 

Ha it’s not a problem, I was so surprised that you slowed down to let me back past that I forgot to brake for the next corner. 

Finally got to have a go in the s2000 in the rain. Got to get that snout into the corner early!

• Upvote 1

The S2000 is one of the most fun cars in the game, I’m a big fan. 

I’ve been practicing autopolis for the group 2 daily, man that is not an easy track. 

• Upvote 2

I would imagine that type of car on that track is a bit of a handful. I've avoided it and gone for the fuji lap instead.

32 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

The S2000 is one of the most fun cars in the game, I’m a big fan. 

I’ve been practicing autopolis for the group 2 daily, man that is not an easy track. 

Autopolis is the closest track GT Sport has to Virginia International Raceway from Forza, both an absolute nightmare to learn and all the blind corners make it hard for me to pick my braking spot. I was surprised to find out it was a real track because the name sounds like it's made up.

• Upvote 3

It's not real, even though it was a sponsor of a 1990's era Benetton. I keep telling my 42 year old self this in the hope it keeps me young and saves ruining anymore childhood memories.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, wev said:

Did you drive the s2000s on intermediates/wets or did you all try them out of hard sports tyres?

I was on wets. Think everyone was but not sure. 

11 hours ago, marsh said:

Finally got to have a go in the s2000 in the rain. Got to get that snout into the corner early!

I always thought that rain meant avoiding the curbs as much as possible. Was surprised that you could take those first corner curbs on RBR without losing stability. Think it's the quickest line too ? 

It seems to have a minimal effect on full wets, I think the issues start if you load up the outside and then apply full or partial throttle. It's a fine line as a couple of times I've just totally missed the corner.

• Upvote 1

Is autopolis full of idiots? It seems full of idiots. Anyway, I dropped down to DR C this week as I learned it, and I somehow managed to drag myself back up to B by trying not to push too hard and letting people spin off in front of me, making the occasional overtake. It’s an interesting one for race C because there’s no fuel strategy, just high tyre wear and a choice of hard or mediums - the fastest I’ve managed is starting in hard tyres and changing to mediums about two thirds through, but I’m not sure that’s the optimal strategy. 

• Upvote 1

There's a 1.06 in the Honda at the rainy ring, I'm just not entirely convinced I can string it together.....

Spent most of my racing in the gr3 race B last week. Really like Sardegna (B) but couldn't get any decent results. Bumped and got bumped and never gained any positions. Tried a Lexus and a BMW, then this morning swapped for the gr3 Mustang and things kind of came together: from 8th to third. No real overtaking, just staying on track was enough. I still get so nervous with all these faster guys charging towards my bumper, fortunately this time they kept making little mistakes. Never saw the guy in first but was shaking like a leaf until 2 mins after the race. Excellent stuff. 

Too pussy to try out race C yet. Still haven't visited some of the new tracks and need to gain some track experience before messing up other peoples races in competition. Not 'comfortable' around Autopolis and only just tried out St. Croix last week. Latter looks great and pretty big but will take some time to learn, nvm master. Did run the gr2 Lexus (the newer one) around the Nordschleife a few times though and had an absolute blast. Silly amounts of downforce on that thing. 

• Upvote 1

What am I doing wrong at Monza? I'm miles off the pace in the zonda and I cannot work out why??

I keep reading on GT Planet that dirty air and loss of downforce really affects the GR2 cars, but would they have really simulated dirty air when slipstreaming in this game or is it just the faster speed from drafting that tricks people into thinking they have less downforce because they’re going quicker?

6 hours ago, marsh said:

What am I doing wrong at Monza? I'm miles off the pace in the zonda and I cannot work out why??

Have you tuned it?

11 minutes ago, fretnoise said:

Have you tuned it?

Yep, but I've not gone into the detail. Just the basic level up.

27 minutes ago, marsh said:

Yep, but I've not gone into the detail. Just the basic level up.

Have you reduced the weight and upped the power in the BoP settings?  Makes a big difference!

Just fired this up on my Pro after a month or two break and have they improved the graphics? I know it's always been a looker and perhaps it's just the new rain or lighting or something but my good does the game look amazing.

The HDR almost has me to tears and like I say everything seems more beautiful than I remember?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GwiDan said:

I keep reading on GT Planet that dirty air and loss of downforce really affects the GR2 cars, but would they have really simulated dirty air when slipstreaming in this game or is it just the faster speed from drafting that tricks people into thinking they have less downforce because they’re going quicker?

You're making the concept sound a bit confusing this way I think, but slipstreaming to gain speed generally only really works on straights - in the corners the dirty (disturbed) air will generate less downforce as it hits the following car.

I'm not entirely sure whether I've experienced it specifically but it can definitely be there in the game - the Codies' F1 games simulate it too for instance.

Dirty air has been modelled in the physics of the game, but I think unless you're playing at the level of the guys at the world tours it's probably not going to have a tangible effect on your experience.

All the controversy at the end of the Final at Spa last time out was because Fraga was trying to control the aerodynamic advantage in the X2019 - not just having slipstream when he needed it, but the negative effect on Hizal's tyre wear and fuel consumption of keeping him in the dirty air. Hizal needed to be in front, and could probably have broken the slipstream if he had been.

P.S. does anyone know if the sport mode time trials are available after a PS plus subscription lapses? I believe it is, because it's not active multiplayer - just leaderboards. I find myself only doing that mode these days - when I try to race cleanly my DR/SR always puts me on a grid where I'm waaaayyy off the pace so it only causes frustration. As I only picked up PS plus for this game, maybe I don't need to renew.

4 hours ago, Batmobile said:

Have you reduced the weight and upped the power in the BoP settings?  Makes a big difference!

I think that’s what I meant too. I think I also played with the gear ratios a bit to stop it topping out on the main straight, but found that it was a bit of a compromise - if you’re geared so that you just run out of gear at the end of the straight then you lose too much in acceleration on the rest of the lap. 

However you tweak it, it’s a bit of a handful, that car. Downright scary in VR :D 

Some level of normality has returned to the household. Sister in law is out of hospital awaiting a suitable care package so it's just the dogs to contend with! I'll put some laps in on the Zonda but on those hard tyres I guess I'm just going to have to suck it up.

10 hours ago, Darwock said:

Dirty air has been modelled in the physics of the game, but I think unless you're playing at the level of the guys at the world tours it's probably not going to have a tangible effect on your experience.

All the controversy at the end of the Final at Spa last time out was because Fraga was trying to control the aerodynamic advantage in the X2019 - not just having slipstream when he needed it, but the negative effect on Hizal's tyre wear and fuel consumption of keeping him in the dirty air. Hizal needed to be in front, and could probably have broken the slipstream if he had been.

P.S. does anyone know if the sport mode time trials are available after a PS plus subscription lapses? I believe it is, because it's not active multiplayer - just leaderboards. I find myself only doing that mode these days - when I try to race cleanly my DR/SR always puts me on a grid where I'm waaaayyy off the pace so it only causes frustration. As I only picked up PS plus for this game, maybe I don't need to renew.

Usually spent a lot of time behind others and there have been so many instances where i could swear i had the same line as in qualifying but would actually go slightly wide/ just miss the apex. Never gave it much thought or blamed it on connection issues but all this draft/dirty air speak has me thinking that might just be it. 

Watched some of the races from the New York event and it was more exciting then i thought it would be. The semi final group B race was great fun to watch from start to finish. Didn't catch the final and all the controversy surrounding it though.    

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GwiDan said:

Is there a link for just that final race? I haven’t seen it.  

I think this is it?

The implication is that Fraga lifts as they go over Eau Rouge forcing Hizal to take avoiding action.  Not sure how much it had an effect on the final result as Hizal said afterwards that he had to go into fuel saving mode.

It does make me laugh when you have them sitting there in what look like racing boots though, I get the gloves as my palms get really sweaty when we do our longer races, but what advantage would racing boots offer? Why not go the whole way and stick them in race suits and helmets ;)

That link is the only the highlights - jump to 2hr and 6 minutes in this for the start of the grand final (the full thing).

By all means join the forum racing again tonight! @PeteBrant will again be taking over hosting duties :)

(I will have to pass on it again sadly due to still being in Monza.)

Very unlikely to make it in tonight chaps. Teaching music till 9 pm, then I’m going to load my drums into the car and get an early night because I’m leaving at 7 in the morning to drive 500 miles for a show in Scotland tomorrow night.