Gran Turismo Sport | Monday Night Racing Club: every week @ 8PM UK

McSpeed

4 hours ago, Junker said:

Tonight’s MNRC running order

Race 1 - Red Bull jnr 6 laps Autopolis. This race will have 10 mins practice then 5 mins qualifying

Race 2 -  a 5 lap race at Kyoto Miyabi in max power/min weight Honda s800 ( because they look like MG Midgets). No qualifying, grid is reverse of first race. This will require a “Junker  lap” - you don’t have to change tyres but you must pit at least once in the race on lap 1,2,3 or 4.

Race 3 - Finally 36 lap race at Interlagos Gr3. Tyre x7, fuel x4.

Interesting selection.🤔

Maybe next week.

Build is nearing completion in terms of heavy lifting and stuff. Can someone send me an invite to the group psn chat? I left as the noise and lack of being able to participate was a major frustration.

On 17/06/2021 at 12:35, Varnsen said:

@jonathanhoey I am liking what I am seeing in that vid. YES. Keep on keeping on!

On 17/06/2021 at 14:24, fretnoise said:

If you carry on doing dailies, you won't be in DR D for long, so drive like ghosting won't happen and you won't get surprised when you turn up in a C lobby.

So anyway I had a bit of free time on Saturday so I did the same race five more times :lol:

Here's the 1230, 1300 and 1330 runnings (Races start at 17:49, 47:22 and 1:17:40 respectively) :

And here's 1530 and 1600 (Races start at 10:24 and 40:10) : 

Results: 

1230: started 6th, finished 6th. 

1300: started 6th, finished 5th. Fastest lap (1:30.6) - first and only time I've ever got an FL in a GT Sport race!

1330: started 8th, finished 7th. 

1530: started 9th, finished 9th. 

1600: started 11th, finished 11th. 

Obviously I don't expect you all to watch almost 2 hours of me bumbling about in DR D, but I recorded them so I may as well leave them here for my own sake :D

Hopefully I'll watch these back in another year's time and be able to see more real improvement. 

Edited to add: Kudosprime says I've got 3200 points and you need 4000 to get into DR C. I was up to about 3600 after the 1530 race but the last one cost me a load of points again. 

I just don't really have enough time for racing as well as everything else. Most weeks I'm lucky if I can even fit in a couple of sighting laps on each of the Daily Race qualifiers. 

2 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

So anyway I had a bit of free time on Saturday so I did the same race five more times :lol:

tenor.gif?itemid=9864414 tenor.gif?itemid=9864414 tenor.gif?itemid=9864414 tenor.gif?itemid=9864414 tenor.gif?itemid=9864414

Keep going!!! We like this!!!!

Secret’s out now, @mexos. Everyone knows now that you’re my clandestine behind-the-scenes performance coach. My Svengali, if you will. :lol:

For the benefit of anyone who wasn’t in the MNRC voice chat last night, the question of my recent improvement came up. What happened was that a couple of Mondays ago, mexos lost his connection and fell out of a race. He came back on to spectate, watched my onboard, and generously texted me some pointers that have really helped.

The single biggest one is something that you probably all find obvious - and the worst thing is I already knew it! Just got into bad habits.

Simply, I was coming off the brake on corner entry and getting straight back on to the throttle, too hard and too early.

At worst I’d spin out, at best I’d induce a load of understeer and push too wide. Instead I’m now trying to build the habit of rolling the car through the entry phase, letting it rotate itself on the diff, and straightening it out at the apex before powering out in a much cleaner, straighter line.

OK I’m not that good at DOING it yet, but that’s what I’m going for. It’s already worth seconds every single lap. 

Joe @McSpeed, you may say “I told you so”. Because you talked me through the exact same thing a long time ago, and I understood it then, just forgot to keep doing it.

7 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

1600: started 11th, finished 11th. 

The single-sentence synopsis doesn't do this one justice. Even though it was my poorest finishing position of the day, it was my favourite, and the most intense, of the races. 

The interesting bit starts at about 45:30 of the second video above. If you're going to watch any part of my videos, make it this one. 

I had started 11th but after some big mistakes early on, I've fallen back to last place. I come past AlbertBlady on lap 4 as he's resetting to track (I haven't checked the full replay from his POV but he must have had a big off). Now I'm in 17th and he's plum last in 18th. 

From lap 4 to the end it's a straight battle between me and Albert. We trade places a few times, elbows out but fair. We work up through some traffic and get up to 11th and 10th positions respectively.  

After chasing him down for the entire second half of the race I eventually get him on the last corner of the last lap... 

Spoiler

... only to be blocked by the slower car in 9th place. I have to get out of the throttle, Albert gets a better drive up the hill, forces/rubs his way down the inside, looks like he almost loses his back end but saves it, and he takes the 10th place by about two tenths. 

I'm not even mad, it was brilliant. 

On 18/06/2021 at 09:55, Quexex said:

Booted this up for the first time in years - was quite shocked by how good it still looks. I'm pleased to confirm the T500 racing wheel still works. My 15yo son is now car mad (real cars) so GT is a logical step for him. He even likes the car history stuff in Brand Central. 

Welcome back! Up for racing with us on Monday nights? :)

On 21/06/2021 at 18:04, Junker said:

Race 2 -  a 5 lap race at Kyoto Miyabi in max power/min weight Honda s800 ( because they look like MG Midgets). No qualifying, grid is reverse of first race. This will require a “Junker  lap” - you don’t have to change tyres but you must pit at least once in the race on lap 1,2,3 or 4.

Loved this stuff especially :D

On 22/06/2021 at 09:25, marsh said:

Build is nearing completion in terms of heavy lifting and stuff. Can someone send me an invite to the group psn chat? I left as the noise and lack of being able to participate was a major frustration.

And STAY IN!

23 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

Joe @McSpeed, you may say “I told you so”. Because you talked me through the exact same thing a long time ago, and I understood it then, just forgot to keep doing it.

:hat:

4 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

The absolute state of this:

In fairness he did get a penalty. And I finished the race ahead of him 👍🏻

That was a bit rude 

Race C. No-one really bothered as it was a weird one with saving your boost like a power up or something, however a 1 make Audi VGT endurance race would be excellent 

9625AADB-1D98-4459-97FD-2445876CA53C.jpeg

Nice one as always @Junker.

Poor show from me - I did about two sighting laps of one of the trials after MNRC last week, then I didn't get to turn the machine on again at all for the rest of the week - too much else going on. I will be on again tonight though, hopefully. 

8 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

Nice one as always @Junker.

Poor show from me - I did about two sighting laps of one of the trials after MNRC last week, then I didn't get to turn the machine on again at all for the rest of the week - too much else going on. I will be on again tonight though, hopefully. 

Same. Had a week off - since becoming MNRC Virtual Olympic champion I’m not sure where the next challenge is to motivate me 😉

Already put this in the MNRC party chat, but after the racing on Monday we were messing about with stupid cars around Interlagos and @GT3Will claimed he could do a sub 60 seconds lap. 
After a few laps warming up he got down to a 56 and now claims sub 55 is possible. 
 The Tomahawk he used is absolutely insane and here is the footage I took from spectator mode as I watched him

2 hours ago, Junker said:

Already put this in the MNRC party chat, but after the racing on Monday we were messing about with stupid cars around Interlagos and @GT3Will claimed he could do a sub 60 seconds lap. 
After a few laps warming up he got down to a 56 and now claims sub 55 is possible. 
 The Tomahawk he used is absolutely insane and here is the footage I took from spectator mode as I watched him

Oh my... I am all over this shit. Why have we not used his car before?!

I thought I'd try the new dualshock out last night, due to that update for the new toyota taking so bloody long....copying still an issue even on a ps5 I see.

Anyway, I now have to go sub 58 seconds at suzuka east with a wheel.

I think as a challenge we should try and set a world record for the shortest possible lap time in GT Sport. I’m guessing it will be BB raceway in the Tomahawk? We’ll keep an after party lobby open after MNRC and see who can do it. I think with working out the best lines and maybe even tactical slipstreaming we can set a ridiculously quick lap