Gran Turismo Sport | Monday Night Racing Club: every week @ 8PM UK

McSpeed

6 minutes ago, marsh said:

That was indeed amazing, and begs the question, did you change tyres?

I don't even know! 

1 hour ago, Ry said:

That was fun last night. Even though I got punted Into the pits :lol:

Agreed - great choices, Joe.  Alsace backwards was a particularly interesting one - my brain just couldn't do the "reversification" so every lap was like a brand new rally stage.  "Ahh, left there, ok..."

Just in case anyone's missed it - this morning's update has nerfed the Gr4 Jag and Aston Martin (Vantage - are there 2?).  Both have gone down 1% in power.  So does that mean I won't need to do the tiny amount of fuel saving that I needed to do in the Jag?  More testing I guess... grrr.

They obviously didn't actually want anyone to no-stop the Barcalona Gr3 race, so they've made the Mazda heavier too.

In Gr4, the GT-R got a similar 1% power nerf, whilst the 4C got 1% less power, but also 5% less weight... hmm...

1 hour ago, fretnoise said:

Agreed - great choices, Joe.  Alsace backwards was a particularly interesting one - my brain just couldn't do the "reversification" so every lap was like a brand new rally stage.  "Ahh, left there, ok..."

Just in case anyone's missed it - this morning's update has nerfed the Gr4 Jag and Aston Martin (Vantage - are there 2?).  Both have gone down 1% in power.  So does that mean I won't need to do the tiny amount of fuel saving that I needed to do in the Jag?  More testing I guess... grrr.

They obviously didn't actually want anyone to no-stop the Barcalona Gr3 race, so they've made the Mazda heavier too.

In Gr4, the GT-R got a similar 1% power nerf, whilst the 4C got 1% less power, but also 5% less weight... hmm...

Mid season changes are mildly annoying but understandable I suppose.

Last night was fun. Amazing how using a bit of innovation in car selection and track choice rarely leads to a bad race- more

often than not it leads to a new set of challenges like trying to follow @McSpeed when he’s handrake turning every corner he can, and he’s see-sawing across the track in front of you at almost 90 degree angle to the track.

I was in the DBR9 Gt1 at the ring last night, if I was doing the FIA race I'd see no reason to change. It did three laps on a full tank though that third lap was fuel save 6, it's quite kind on it's tyres, it could be a useful pick.

:lol:

Have to laugh. It was fun being in first place for a wee while for the first time ever. 

I have a conspiracy theory that this was a team effort by everyone else as I was just slowing everyone down. :P

Interesting video here that aims to look at tyre temps in GT Sport:

Interesting points / summary from me:

It seems to show that with tyre wear off (0x), tyre temps are also off, despite the indicator showing them lighting up red if you slide around etc.

Feeds nicely into @McSpeed's idea of using 1x for our Monday night races as it adds another element of realism.  The difference in off the line wheel spin is particularly telling I think.

Also talks about FIA races, and, mentions as we've already theorised, that the tyre temp model is active throughout the whole 3 minute+ intro sequence, meaning you're starting on colder tyres than a daily race.

14 minutes ago, Junker said:

Race C looked horribly complicated trying to manage the regen to maximise lap time. 
Fair play to a new name on top - Scitzafitz

20A2FB42-F442-4D2B-883A-DFC224B16DF1.jpeg

Ohh my that's me on a high slot there. I reckon I had a good few tenths on turn 1 exit and at the bus stop. It's a long lap so takes some commitment. 

Just now, davadvice1 said:

Ohh my that's me on a high slot there. I reckon I had a good few tenths on turn 1 exit and at the bus stop. It's a long lap so takes some commitment. 

Couldn't get my head round it, and the audi is an absolute tosspot of a steer. Walked away in disgust.

Reminder - Monday Night means one thing - Monday Night Race(ing) Club 

8pm Start, make sure you’re friends with me or @McSpeed or @mexos or @fretnoise or @jonathanhoey or any of the other regulars.
Quite often have 2 lobbies, all skill levels catered for, friendly chat and you get to discuss F1 in detail with world renowned motorsport journalists, or we end up making double entendres about straddling sausage kerbs etc. 

15 hours ago, Junker said:

Reminder - Monday Night means one thing - Monday Night Race(ing) Club 

8pm Start, make sure you’re friends with me or @McSpeed or @mexos or @fretnoise or @jonathanhoey or any of the other regulars.
Quite often have 2 lobbies, all skill levels catered for, friendly chat and you get to discuss F1 in detail with world renowned motorsport journalists, or we end up making double entendres about straddling sausage kerbs etc. 

Just popping in to give a massive thumbs up to the 60-minute endurance format.  I even enjoyed myself despite having to take a work call and have an unscheduled 2.5 minute pitstop.  The final 2 laps felt like a proper N24 recovery drive :)

Oh and if we could do Gr4s at Dragon Trail every week, that would be just fine by me :D

14 hours ago, fretnoise said:

Just popping in to give a massive thumbs up to the 60-minute endurance format.  I even enjoyed myself despite having to take a work call and have an unscheduled 2.5 minute pitstop.  The final 2 laps felt like a proper N24 recovery drive :)

Oh and if we could do Gr4s at Dragon Trail every week, that would be just fine by me :D

Can’t believe how well I did round N24, that Datsun Gr4 car is lovely to drive though. 
 I think I’ve almost learned the circuit, although some of the bits near YouTube corner can catch me out still.

I posted this on the phone chat already but here are the results from our two lobby B races on Monday:

7D710F63-F774-40F5-87AE-C61CD338E7D2.thumb.jpeg.11eab3ee4246846b25a3f7ca7458056a.jpeg

023152E0-BBA2-4FBE-AA7D-A5375514902B.thumb.jpeg.3c6dc5275e57ed34ab403afb8aadb8aa.jpeg

Fretnoise had to take a work call in race 1, otherwise he’d clearly have been ahead of me.

Not a terrible showing from me overall - I had some pace initially but made some mistakes. I was lapping about 20 seconds slower than the leaders so it was a fairly lonely race once I got left behind but that’s ok. I love the Nürburgring and often drive it solo in games so it’s still a lot of fun (plus the radio chatter which is obviously one of the main draws of MNRC).

My wheel malfunctioned in race 2 (probably overheating - I had turned up the FFB gain for the first time that session and I think it couldn’t sustain it) so I had to finish the race with a Hori fightpad as it was the only other controller in the room! :lol:

Well last night’s FIA was interesting. Had a bit of a stinker  in the first race I did. Le Mans is a track I’m just not quick at and the track limits are savage. 
 2nd attempt I fluked a 6th in qualifying as everyone else seems to be trying to murder each other. 5 people didn’t even set a qualifying lap as they were too busy wiping each other out.

My race tactic was to just try and hang on to slipstreams and not get a penalty ( after getting about 4 seconds worth in the first race from trying too hard).

I let faster cars go past then bump drafted them to try and pull away from the cars behind. 
As luck would have it a few guys in front started fighting towards the end of the race and I sailed through in a jammy 4th!! Couldn’t believe my luck.

I’ve got to say a big thank you to @Corranga and Badger GT Having them and others in party chat as we all try the FIA is great- sharing tips and ideas and giving each other encouragement. Many a time I would have given up or done something silly without them there chatting away.

24C58CFC-C017-4CB7-AC4F-9CC4837D3A65.jpeg

FIA stories continued :D

Race 1:

First race I was door 1, low door numbers always scare me for some reason, I should stop looking!

In qualifying I was behind a Nissan GTR and he was slow.  I caught him by the end of the Mulsanne and got some slip stream through the next straights, but not enough to catch and pass, so I bump drafted.  Iended up stuck behind until the last pair of chicanes.  I qualified 12th, he qualified 16th.

I started mid 2nd last chicane, the car in front spun, so I backed out to avoid hitting them, then had 2 cars on me for the last chicane and got punted, dropped 2 positions and of course was slow all the way up into turn 1 etc. and dropped back further.  By the Mulsanne on lap 1 I was 19th.

Made some positions up and eventually I finished 9th.

Race 2:

Astroll Martin was around for this one, we were chatting prior to the race.  I explained the strategy, how and when to change tyres prior to the race etc.

Into qualifying, I got myself into a gap, I'd rather run alone than depend on slip stream of a slower driver.

I was much, much quicker than the car in front despite the gap, by the last 2 chicanes, I'd caught and was half thinking of passing, half holding back.

I pulled to the inside line and hit the brakes early, they also braked way earlier than I expected and turned in earlier than I would too, we collided, I managed to recover and finished the lap, they spun out.

I qualified 12th and typed an apology into the lobby chat.  I then realised I had to change tyres, but used the settings menu rather than the car menu.  I started on mediums in a race with mandatory hard.

It was fun racing on a better tyre than everyone else, I could pass in places that you wouldn't think about passing and worked my way up to 4th only 6 or 7 seconds back from the leader.  

I pitted on lap 5 (of 7) and came out 13th.

I quickly passed 12th, then caught 11th who wanted to race hard, I was 11th with a big gap but they made and error and I was into 10th.  

The very last corner, they pushed me into a spin. I finished 13th.

Race 3:

Fresh off the back of being an idiot, I was determined to not have any stupid errors.

Into qualifying, I was flying (for me).  I could see I was within 1 second of my best overall warm up time 1.58.4.  The drama of the last 2 chicanes was still with me though, the car got a bit twitchy in the middle of the one by the pit entry and I corrected, but took too much kerb and got a 1 second penalty.  I crossed the line with a 1.59.x but due to the penalty, it records no time.  Everyone else set a time, I started 19th and last.

I'd relaxed and accepted it was a going to be a crap race by the start of the Mulsanne, as I was 18th and 3 seconds behind, so no slip stream.

I had a really solid race though, lapping in the 4:03s whilst catching and passing, all pretty clean, and oddly enough, with very little slip stream too.

I was only running about 15 seconds down on the leader too, if only I hadn't cut that corner in qualifying :(

I finished 9th on the road, promoted to 8th as someone used the medium all race.

I should have called it quits here!

Race 4:

The last race of the night and I was still desperate for things to go my way.  Surely this time!

First lobby with McLaren F1s in, and a Ford GT that set a crazy fast pole time.

I qualified 7th.  The RCZ in front started sideways but saved it, I was much faster though and into turn 1 I was 75% ahead.  As I turned in (on a wider line to allow for them) they simply pushed me to the track boundary, which is the inside of the 1st chicane.  They ended up running off, and I made it through, but the next section is fast and my exit speed wasn't.  Things got a bit bashy and I was quickly engulfed by the pack, pushed off, and and running 18th.

I settled into things and ran my own race had some good battles, and some idiots, including 1 guy who weaved the whole length of the straight, and another who ran all straights off the road to break slip stream - I just drove past as it's dirty and bumpy out there, though they then punted me perhaps due to dirty tyres, who knows.

I made it back to 10th.

So yeah, for my lobby level, I think I was pretty quick at Le Mans, but the luck wasn't with me.

Next week: I'm not doing 4 races!

Also, as @Junker has said, the chat through the races really helps keep things a little chilled, it's fun to know how others are progressing and to bounce ideas around on lines and gears, and also just to get some sympathy when you massively screw it up and start last :D  Thanks guys!

One race wonder for me this time.  The effects of my abnormal visit to DR class A are starting to subside, so I was door number 5 in my lobby, and qualified 10th with an ok-for-me 4:00.3 lap in clear air.  Other people started playing silly buggers at the end of the outlap to try to get themselves some slipstream, but I figured the added distraction would probably see me sail past my braking points, so I was happy to be on my own.

Into the race, and it was tense but quite unremarkable really - I made my way up to 6th without any actual overtakes as people fell off or took penalties.  And then I had a half spin at Arnage on lap 4 or 5, losing about 3-4 seconds and falling out of the main slipstream peloton.  Once I got going again, I was 13th and in amongst the guys who'd been falling off and getting penalties.  They continued to fall off and get penalties, so I made it back up to 9th.  The 8th place guy picked up a penalty on the last lap and, thinking there weren't any more slow zones left, I eased off, with the intention of staying within a second to take his place on the line.  Then I remembered the slow zone on the last straight.  I'd left him too much space (he only had 0.5s penalty) and he managed to fend me off through the last chicanes to hang on to his place.  That little side-by-side fight through the last few turns was my best bit of racing!

I found it quite stressful really, so called it a night after one race.  I never quite had the exit speed out of the corners to be fully on the next guy's tail, so I was relying on the Jag's slightly higher than average top speed to just about keep fingertips on the slipstream - they'd pull tantalisingly out of range through the first half of the straights, and I'd claw my way back in just before the braking zone.  Rinse and repeat for 7 laps...

Sardegna in the Gr4s next.  I got a win there last time, so looking forward to it.

8295648108176507932_0.jpg

@Junker I dug out my little scraper doodad (and not only because I went fastest at Bathurst late last night... nooooo :))

So, here are a slightly uglier-than-normal set of results for last week's time trials.  Randomly in "B, A, C" order, just for kicks...

image.png.a9ccfbaaa3993cdcacd4f25d56582a81.png