Gran Turismo Sport | Monday Night Racing Club: every week @ 8PM UK

McSpeed

Apologies for asking an undoubtedly dim question, but how do I do the daily race time trials?

On another note, I’ve played some more of the campaign and had my first experience of a really aggressive AI driver. As I worked my way towards the front, I appeared to be dragging the car I’d just taken fourth from with me. Once in the lead, I created a small gap, which he soon closed and then drove straight into me on a tight corner and took the lead. Caught him up, passed him and two corners later he did the same thing.

Cheating bastard AI.

For once I was not uniformly terrible last night. Including my first ever legitimate points finish on a Monday night:

920F6682-5CB6-4CA7-8A46-5FBB3BDD47B8.thumb.png.a5af20bc2d089732ae0fe602d257cec4.png

This was achieved by keeping my head down and just driving round the track as quickly as I could, in contrast with people like @Junker who gave up trying to race and just started yeeting it off berms:

92EB69C1-305C-4726-B299-4A36ACDAC706.gif.6a72a7073cfa3216a855a7c1652a3fd4.gif

I dug out my wheel and chair last night. Sat on the couch for a cup of tea and 5 mins later I was out cold. 

Damn old age. 

55 minutes ago, skondo said:

Apologies for asking an undoubtedly dim question, but how do I do the daily race time trials?

There’s no such thing as a stupid question!

If you pick Sport mode from the top menu, then daily races, you’ll get to a screen with the three different events. Pick one and you’ll get to a screen that includes the options “Race Entry” and “Qualifying”.

If you enter the race, you’ll go into quali mode with a countdown to when the next race will begin. 

Otherwise there’s no timer and you can just lap an empty track to your heart’s content.

Either way, your best quali time will be saved on the leaderboard. Make sure you’re PSN friends with @Junker (JUNKERDENB) as he compiles the weekly leaderboard every Sunday night. 

1 hour ago, jonathanhoey said:

This was achieved by keeping my head down and just driving round the track as quickly as I could, in contrast with people like @Junker who gave up trying to race and just started yeeting it off berms:

Both approaches have their merits at that track! :)

After the “hilarity” of half the field starting in the pit lane and getting immediate unavoidable false start penalties, it settled into a decent race - I was behind you for ages and only got past thanks to a missed braking point on my part really. 

The car mix last night was great too - 3 pretty equal choices but different enough that there was plenty of overtaking.

Apologies to @Varnsen for a particularly bad case of “forgetting where the hell I am” at the Red Bull Ring. Little consolation I expect but I did the exact same thing on lap 2 as well, but handbraked into a spin to try to avoid taking anyone else out (with limited success I fear). Spent the rest of the race “exploring track limits”. 

last night was awesome. Race one was epic, such close racing between me,@fretnoise Bart and Nobloski - full pelt over 10 laps on a tricky little circuit, no mistakes, 1st to 4th separated by 0.4s at the end. 

2 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

For once I was not uniformly terrible last night. Including my first ever legitimate points finish on a Monday night:

920F6682-5CB6-4CA7-8A46-5FBB3BDD47B8.thumb.png.a5af20bc2d089732ae0fe602d257cec4.png

Yeeting off berms is what I’m all about now. Mad silly fun that one. 

Went to do my first daily race time trial.

Oh piss off it’s a rally. I haven’t done any rallying yet and I don’t have a qualifying car. Anyway, finished my next round of missions and my reward was a qualifying rally car. Had one go and set a time that will bother absolutely no one.

17 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

Just a thought but have you tried switching to bonnet cam? In car without VR is so hard to spot turn in points.

I bet you'd be a second+ faster within a week of switching if you did, just because you'd be able to hit the apex consistently. (based on my experience trying in-car)

Fair question. I’ve tried the other cameras before and I always come back to in-car. Not because of “immersion” or anything; it just feels like the only one where I can really place the car properly. I did some A/B tests last year and found a load of time as soon as I went in-car, having always used the traditional GT view prior to that.

I only really use the no-cockpit views now if it’s one of the cars where you really can’t see anything out of the front windscreen. 

Clearly there are some things wrong with my driving lines - @davadvice1 followed me round for a lap or two the other night and commented that I was way off line in places.

I definitely don’t do well when I’m close in front of another car (so at the start of any reverse-grid races for example). Because I’m not 100% confident of hitting the exact right braking point every time, when someone’s following close behind I tend to brake too late (for fear of brake-checking them and making them hit me if I go too early).

Of course what then happens is I outbrake myself, miss the turn and the place is lost anyway (and often several more places if I missed it really badly).

13 minutes ago, jonathanhoey said:

Fair question. I’ve tried the other cameras before and I always come back to in-car. Not because of “immersion” or anything; it just feels like the only one where I can really place the car properly. I did some A/B tests last year and found a load of time as soon as I went in-car, having always used the traditional GT view prior to that.

I only really use the no-cockpit views now if it’s one of the cars where you really can’t see anything out of the front windscreen. 

Clearly there are some things wrong with my driving lines - @davadvice1 followed me round for a lap or two the other night and commented that I was way off line in places.

I definitely don’t do well when I’m close in front of another car (so at the start of any reverse-grid races for example). Because I’m not 100% confident of hitting the exact right braking point every time, when someone’s following close behind I tend to brake too late (for fear of brake-checking them and making them hit me if I go too early).

Of course what then happens is I outbrake myself, miss the turn and the place is lost anyway (and often several more places if I missed it really badly).

You could try doing the daily race qually with the slowest car in the top 10 set to 0.5 sec in front and to reset its position. Then the ghost will never be too close and just try and follow their lines. Forget how many times the ghost resets, just spend the time following the same lines.

42 minutes ago, skondo said:

Went to do my first daily race time trial.

Oh piss off it’s a rally. I haven’t done any rallying yet and I don’t have a qualifying car. Anyway, finished my next round of missions and my reward was a qualifying rally car. Had one go and set a time that will bother absolutely no one.

I think you might have been doing one of the Time Trials, which are a separate thing. This week’s dailies are Clios at Catalonia GP, Gr4 at Sardegna and Gr3 at Tokyo:

01C59947-679C-4EDF-95BB-17B633701D68.thumb.png.4ca9ad115070240db04625583a2f5f01.png

The car is provided for you in race A. For B and C you would need to possess a Gr4 and Gr3 car respectively. The weapons of choice seem to be the Gr4 Peugeot RCZ and Gr3 McLaren-BMW F1.

@jonathanhoey

When I first started I was using chase cam (yeah I know) but after listening to the chat moved over to bumper cam and it took me a while to get to a place where I felt it working. 

On that particular circuit through the seeses you seemed to be hugging the kerb on the right at turn 4( I think). on my faster lap I never even hit the it in was a little left of it. on some laps it was a little kiss to set up as straight for the next left hander. 

I was really struggling with interlagos so took the jag round slowly by short shifting, coasting and making sure I was getting a good line. I found that in the slower parts of the track I was quicker by quite a margin as I wasn't over driving. 

I'm still pretty poor at the breaking  early as Junker and others will attest especially when downforce is in play and cold tyres on lap1. 

I spent some time doing the daily races and looking at the top replay. Those fuckers take liberties with cutting corners and you can steal a good second a lap in some circuits 

You've seen me improve over the last few months (consistency is still lacking) and the reason for this for me was to use TC set at 3 then I stopped spinning off and was able to sit around the mid pack and even grab a win. I've dialed it back a little now but certain tracks and cars I still use it. 

Just now, skondo said:

Thanks @jonathanhoey. Re-read your earlier post and you clearly state three different events, and whatever I picked only had two. Clearly not paying attention. I’ll have another look later.

That's the 'official' time trial - which I might add is an absolute blinder in the rally cars. Given the noise that is currently being made about track limits in real life motorsport, it's a case of the slightest graze of the outside or inside of the circuit results in your laptime being completely null and void. @Junker is just outside the top 150 with myself a whisker inside the top 200. That's world and not EMEA.

The time trial you seek is within the online 'sport' mode, go on a qualifying run and all your friends will be shown with respective laptimes. It's an unofficial way of having a bit of a weekly contest between the Monday night regulars. Just don't go faster than me in the clio.....

By all means have a crack at the official time trials when they are there, going straight into rallying or karts probably not an ideal introduction. Which is why I suspect only me and Junker have done the rallying, not only are the track limits savage, it's also being run at night. I managed to slip into that trance like zone last night for about 20 laps, I'm not sure I can do it again tonight though.

21 hours ago, fretnoise said:

Apologies to @Varnsen for a particularly bad case of “forgetting where the hell I am” at the Red Bull Ring. Little consolation I expect but I did the exact same thing on lap 2 as well, but handbraked into a spin to try to avoid taking anyone else out (with limited success I fear). Spent the rest of the race “exploring track limits”. 

ah no worries! I had plenty of 'racing incidents' myself on monday night! :ph34r:

Thanks @marsh. Had a few goes in the Clio and tried Sardegna with the only qualifying car I had. For some reason I thought the Sport race section would be locked as I currently don’t have Plus, but this is clearly not the case. I’ll add you too if that’s okay?

I've been playing this again regularly over the last 2 weeks or so. I've played it on and off since release but lately it's on a PS5, on an OLED, and with surround sound :wub:

The surround sound makes the most difference. I always felt that GT was so poor sound wise compared to Forza but it just comes alive with 5.1. 

1 hour ago, skondo said:

Thanks @marsh. Had a few goes in the Clio and tried Sardegna with the only qualifying car I had. For some reason I thought the Sport race section would be locked as I currently don’t have Plus, but this is clearly not the case. I’ll add you too if that’s okay?

Yes, please do.

Mornin' all.. Long time lurker, first time poster hereabouts. 

Been getting back into the Sport in the last few weeks and trying to get some course Golds in and the odd daily TT punt. Am getting towards the point where I might be able to get around a few laps in some circuits without insta-turn 1  totalling myself or some poor victim so was hoping to get into the TT lists or maybe the odd Monday Night Combat? 

I'll ping Joe and try to add a few off of the lists. 

More a heads up than any form of challenge I can only imagine... 

40 minutes ago, DAQster said:

Mornin' all.. Long time lurker, first time poster hereabouts. 

Been getting back into the Sport in the last few weeks and trying to get some course Golds in and the odd daily TT punt. Am getting towards the point where I might be able to get around a few laps in some circuits without insta-turn 1  totalling myself or some poor victim so was hoping to get into the TT lists or maybe the odd Monday Night Combat? 

I'll ping Joe and try to add a few off of the lists. 

More a heads up than any form of challenge I can only imagine... 

Just get stuck in, MNRC caters for all abilities! I say that as someone who waited far too long to get involved and has been strangely absent since about Christmas....You'll be challenging for the odd race win in no time!

Looks to be 8 seconds off Junkers Clio TT time there..  very much on track there then. Heheh. 

Didn't help that somehow, after seemingly years of playing Sport on and off, I've never memorably been around the Barca Grand Prix circuit layout. 

Nice enough place once it sort of gets together but Christ my old man memory skills are one hell of a liability...

Hi @DAQster, welcome.

I remember playing some Destiny with you many years ago in another life.

I only picked up GT Sport a couple of weeks ago and I'm really enjoying it, even if I do get frustrated at my own incompetence.

23 minutes ago, skondo said:

Hi @DAQster, welcome.

I remember playing some Destiny with you many years ago in another life.

I only picked up GT Sport a couple of weeks ago and I'm really enjoying it, even if I do get frustrated at my own incompetence.

Oh ay Skondo.. that'll have been me with folks from t'other place probably. Isanbard on the Badger. 

I think it was recognising you poking around this 'ere thread as a wee n00b that got me to actually finally get off my arse and see just how comparably terrible I am at the Sport. 

More than happy to help you out at the back of the grids and in the deeper parts of the gravel.. 

Edit: And ta Marsh as well. Not too sure if I'll make it to too many Monday slaughter grids but will try to make the times work out. I'm in the UK  but just generally useless.

FIA was pure stress last night! You certainly get the highs and lows in this game when you go online. 
First points race I was fairy confident as I could run 1:48.xx on the hards and qualified well.

Started on hards and got swallowed up by people on softs. Wasn’t bothered but they were literally lunging and on laps 2 and 4 I lost 10 seconds by being run off wide. After a few expletives I settled back in but then on about lap 7 my PS5 crashed. Was so weird, one minute I was driving down the main straight and then when I went to turn in to T1 the wheel went limp in my hands and my screen went to black. 
luckily the game must have understood I had a network disconnection as it didn’t give me a DR and SR reset- that would have really been bad.

Tried again next slot messed up my qualifying by getting a penalty! No time to do another outlap so had to suck it up and started 18th. Used same strategy and this time had a fairly clean race, and a good little battle with a Jag near the end. All in all 5th felt like damage limitation.

Was tempted to go again but decided to settle with the result I got. 
 If anyone who hasn’t entered yet fancies a go, jump in. The game does a great job in matchmaking and the added pressure creates the drama.

Anyone up for the Toyota cup on Sunday ?

The Toyota cup appeals as it's a fairly level playing field. What time is it? just depends what time we finish on the extension and the physical state of being 44 and an absolute shambles.

I had 2 fairly uneventful races.  Last week's success in the daily races and new-found A rated DR meant I was in with the big boys - seeded 3rd in the first race and 1st in the second.  In the first race I qualified towards the back, but started on the hard tyres and kept a pace with the guys around me.  Things started looking up as they started pitting around lap 5 to get rid of their soft tyres.  I probably stayed out a lap too long and pitted at the end of lap 12, dropping back to 19th, but a combination of the new tyres, low fuel, and other people falling off got me up to 11th.  Fairly happy with that, but I felt I'd left my pit stop too late and that I'd saved too much fuel in my first stint, so re-entered for the last race of the day.

Yeah, not so good.  Out paced in qualy, and started 19th.  Again, kept pace with the guys around me, but this time they were all on the same strategy as me, and even a late stint push only got me up to (I think) 9th or 10th, as others started to pit.  Pitted one lap earlier at the end of lap 11, dropped to last, and burnt up my new soft tyres too early, trying too hard to make some places back.  Finished around 15th or so, with 20 fewer championship points than I'd got in the first race.

On the plus side, I got punted exactly once throughout the entire evening, and had some pretty decent fights in both first stints.

Ho hum - onwards and upwards as they say.

I'm slightly surprised that despite all that I only lost 600 DR points, and am still rated A.  I was expecting to be well back into B territory.

31 minutes ago, Junker said:

Anyone up for the Toyota cup on Sunday ?

I have just completed the Entry form for the Toyota Cup.  Hopefully I will get time to enter it, as things have been a bit manic the last few weeks.  I Need to get some practice in too, as I'm starting to get a bit rusty! 

The last few months, the only time I have put into GT sport is on the Monday night racing, and I have missed that for the last two weeks on the trot. 

Planing to try and get a permanent rig set up with the PS4/PC so that I don't have to Drag the Playseat out of the Garage each time I want to race.