Gran Turismo Sport | Monday Night Racing Club: every week @ 8PM UK

1 hour ago, mexos said:

565 but only in EMEA. Need another 4 tenths for top 500 in the world. WHY DID I HAVE TO LOOK. 

Mad skillz round Barcelona, hard to adjust to hard tyres.:slowclap:

On 13/01/2021 at 00:14, marsh said:

Blimey, check @McSpeed out with that massive drift though the last few corners!!

Amazing scenes.

On 13/01/2021 at 01:21, mexos said:

He does like a bit of the old handbrake here and there.

Just a fair bit of 'oppo', wasn't even close to touching the handbrake here 8-)

On 13/01/2021 at 12:46, Junker said:

Mad skillz round Barcelona, hard to adjust to hard tyres.:slowclap:

:hat:

When I used to practice more I'd start off only on hard tyres. Do 90% of my practice on them. Then when you get softs or hards it's a piece of piss. 

Is there a right way to hone your race craft? I find that while doing the TT stuff every week helps with speed, pilling into any online race yields mixed or crappy results. Last night I joined a random lobby in the MX5's something I'm quite useful with on the right track. Both races I found myself getting into a decent position and then falling off the road, I seem to lack consistency and give way too many places away to unforced errors.

I could whinge and bitch and moan about getting stiffed on a fast lap at Laguna but that's more my fault for putting myself in that position. Falling off the road for no apparent reason bothers me more and it happens way too much.

8 minutes ago, marsh said:

Falling off the road for no apparent reason bothers me more and it happens way too much.

High five on this one. I do it a LOT. Brain fade. I follow people off. Or just drift wide on a corner for no reason and bin it.

Also in races I've noticed my pace sometimes just goes awol. I'd do a bit of practice an hour before we raced and come race time I'm lapping 1.5 / 2 seconds slower than I did in practice with the same tyres. At the start I am very wary of making contact with others and ruining their races which I think makes me tense up and go slower. Probably makes me more likely to crash into people too.

If I can get away in the lead or in a gap (in a car I know) I can pop in the times like last week. If I am in a gaggle of cars at the start I will probably make a mistake and set the tone for the rest of the race.

The only racing I do is the racing we do - I've pretty much given up on daily races. Might have to change that.

2 hours ago, mexos said:

The only racing I do is the racing we do - I've pretty much given up on daily races. Might have to change that.

I think dailies lend themselves to a higher caliber of bellendery, I found a lobby hosted by a fellow brit last night with the MX5's that was also a live twitch stream. The standard of driving was fine, and a few of the guys in there were stupid quick. I think you just have to look at what's on offer. Red Glove racing often have an open lobby and he's also usually streaming. My only criticism of his racing is that it's the most basic of affairs, nothing like the level of tyre wear/fuel we operate at on a monday night.

I think that is the route I may continue to pursue, find a lobby that's semi full, doing practice/qualliy/race and take it from there.

Last weeks Daily race time trial leaderboards - as a reminder, as well as Monday Night Race Club we have a bit of competition for times each week based on the Qualifying for the daily races. If you play Gt Sport or want to, and want to compare times drop me a friends request, as everyone on my list is either a forumite, a friend of the forum or someone who races on Monday Might Race Club56F34227-8FEB-47DA-BA8F-76FEBC01A891.thumb.jpeg.fbcd25ce5482cd2f56a6afcd9ec79152.jpeg

Race A 

Damn my SR rating of C really stands out in those screen shots :(

Good to see above people talking about race craft, I feel similar to what has been said.  I don't think I'm that bad on Monday nights, and feel convinced it's the level of players in Daily races that lead me to become a C, after only 3 races on last weeks race C.... I'm unconfident on first laps, and tend to start of a little slowly, but come back after that, and hopefully race fair.  In daily races this often means I'm behind someone I'm quicker than, but who defends well, where as, rolls reversed, the other player seems to aggressively dive bomb, then, instead of what should be a sort of up and under as I retake on the exit, they floor the throttle, spin up the rears, head right into my tighter line, and I take 4 seconds for just tagging them as they are spinning in front of me.  Is the answer to just emergency stop until they ghost and loose all momentum / watch the field drive past?

26 minutes ago, Freeman said:

Damn my SR rating of C really stands out in those screen shots :(

Good to see above people talking about race craft, I feel similar to what has been said.  I don't think I'm that bad on Monday nights, and feel convinced it's the level of players in Daily races that lead me to become a C, after only 3 races on last weeks race C.... I'm unconfident on first laps, and tend to start of a little slowly, but come back after that, and hopefully race fair.  In daily races this often means I'm behind someone I'm quicker than, but who defends well, where as, rolls reversed, the other player seems to aggressively dive bomb, then, instead of what should be a sort of up and under as I retake on the exit, they floor the throttle, spin up the rears, head right into my tighter line, and I take 4 seconds for just tagging them as they are spinning in front of me.  Is the answer to just emergency stop until they ghost and loose all momentum / watch the field drive past?

Problem is once you get in a daily with low SR drivers you’re into the Wild West. It’s like Forza out there being bomb dived every corner. Best thing is to sacrifice finishing position for a clean race, get SR back up then you’ll be in the cleaner lobbies

On 17/01/2021 at 12:48, Junker said:

I caught a little bit of SuperGT speed running the Lewis Hamilton DLC 5 times in a row on Friday, I’ve not bought it myself, but had anyone on here got diamond times for all tracks? He really struggled on Willow Springs so I’m guessing it’s dead hard?

https://youtu.be/AmgF7IKCBF4

I *think* the diamond times are Lewis' actual times, while the golds are within a certain percentage or something.

2 hours ago, Freeman said:

Is the answer to just emergency stop until they ghost and loose all momentum / watch the field drive past?

Yeah, I think so.  I often find I'll lose a place to a divebomber, gain the place back as he's in the weeds / spinning / got a terrible line out of the corner, but then lose that place to the guy who was behind the pair of us - he gets the ideal line, and can just drive past me as I'm evading the divebombing womble.  I console myself with the fact I'll be that 3rd place guy once in a while and be able to drive past divebomber and bombee with a smug grin on my face.  This was quite common at Dragon Trail last week, at the hairpin before the chicane of death.

3 hours ago, Junker said:

Decent dailies again this week. Predictably  I’m going to get obsessed with time trialling race A

https://www.gtplanet.net/gt-sport-daily-races-20210118/

Bring it on wench, you've got work to do* :hat:

*noted that late on sunday night, as my hands are sopping with blisters, my feet are cramped up from mashing a brake pedal, I'll be eating those words with a huge slice of humble pie, direct from the oven of shame.

During and after MNRC last night, a few of us were talking about perhaps trying the next season of the FIA Manufacturers races.  I know, well, absolutely nothing about them, so have done some reading, and found this brief reddit post useful.  

First of all you don't have to be good to enter FIA races. The same matchmaking system as daily races is used so you'll be matched with similarly skilled players.

The point system works by taking the average driver rating of the lobby. This mean the higher your DR the more points you will be able to get. The points available for winning varies between 3000 if all the driver are very high DR and a couple hundred for low DR drivers.

There are 2 championships. Nations Cup and Manufacturers Series. For the current championships there are 10 rounds and from those your best 4 points scores will count towards your final score.

For Nations Cup you will be competing in a verity of cars from Gr.1 to N class races.

For the Manufacturers Series you sign for one of the 25 manufacturers. You will be given a free Gr.3 & 4 car when you sign. You are stuck racing those cars for at least 1 FIA season (often stuck of multiple seasons) so pick carefully. It's probably worth testing a few of the cars to find which ones you like

The races take place on Wednesday and Saturday as specified times. You can enter each race up to 5 because there are only 5 time slots (3 for some regions). However it will only count the points from the last race you enter, so if you get a good score you probably don't want to do another race.

From what I've read about the 2020 series, it's not quite as your best 4 scores (linky)

・At the end of Round 4, the points from the best round will go towards your final score.
・At the end of Round 8, the points from the two best rounds will go towards your final score.
・At the end of Round 10, the points from the three best round will go towards your final score.

Also from the above link, I can see the 2020 series kicked off on 18th March, so there's a couple of months before it all starts assuming it's the same.

The whole calendar is also published there so we can see it alternated between Wednesday races and Sunday races, with half of the races using Gr.3, and the other half Gr.4.

Some stuff I've noticed from last years events, that I presume will also apply to this year...

• Qualifying seems to give enough time for an out lap and 2 fast laps.
  • Fuel and tyre wear changes from race to race, but is consistent through race and qualifying.
  • There isn't always a tyre choice.
  • Sometimes a compound is required, so presumably, like F1, you can change tyres, but must use that compound in the race.
  • It's always a rolling start.

We were talking about selecting the same manufacturer, so we can possibly practice together and .

Jaguar is leading our manufacturer choice, as we wanted something potentially less popular than the favoured quick cars, but something fun to drive.

Friend of rllmuk Nobloski mentioned Mistah MCA as a good source of guides for the events and in general.  I've watched some of the daily guides in the past and he is really clear, and provides a great format.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MistahMCA

Over and above all of this, I just want to say, this is absolutely about adding to MNRC.  For me, I want to do more of the same, I want to improve my race craft and get quicker, and race against (hopefully) like minded people.

Having typed all this out, it's just occurred to me that perhaps I should have posted a new thread in Online...

25 minutes ago, Freeman said:

During and after MNRC last night, a few of us were talking about perhaps trying the next season of the FIA Manufacturers races. 

Interested. Is there a way of us all getting into the same races?

9 minutes ago, mexos said:

Interested. Is there a way of us all getting into the same races?

I don't think so, they use the DR (and possibly SR) to create an even field just like in the daily races, basically leading to higher points scoring for higher rated drivers (as you get more points for beating those higher rated).

Of course if there is only 5 scheduled times, I guess it's likely the matchmaking will stick some of us in the same race.

1 hour ago, Freeman said:

Over and above all of this, I just want to say, this is absolutely about adding to MNRC.  For me, I want to do more of the same, I want to improve my race craft and get quicker, and race against (hopefully) like minded people.

Having typed all this out, it's just occurred to me that perhaps I should have posted a new thread in Online...

Not at all, this much more befits this thread as Online is where threads go to die, sadly. (Talk about this structural topic is very much going on elsewhere on the forums.)

Might be getting a loan of a PS4 so will hopefully be back on soon. 

Got a drivehub coming to use my wheel on xbox too although not sure if Forza 7 will click.

Daily race A, I think I'm in love. Not just the car but the track. I was moaning about race craft and consistency, this is the perfect place to dial that in. The more the evening has wore on, the better and more comfortable I've become with it. I could drop a mid 1.05 with my eyes closed right now.

I still think I'm going to have to go faster, my lap is sliding out of the top 300. Brake balance aside, I think there's only the diff setting to play about with.