rllmuk

Gran Turismo Sport | Monday Night Racing Club: every week @ 8PM UK

2 hours ago, Beezer said:

Bumping this. Roll up everyone. Should be great fun, especially if we have a full room.

and if you haven’t got the game, get down to Argos!

How would I join such a thing? Cheers for the bump. I'd love to get involved. I'm crap but looking forward to it. 

2 hours ago, Darwock said:

Can anyone confirm if the regional segregation extends to lobbies?

I sometimes see a little blue person with a number indicating that a friend is playing in the lobby section, but when I filter rooms with friends I get no matches.

I'm assuming that means I can only join lobbies in the Asia Pacific region. Otherwise I would join you guys.

Was curious to see what racing another region would be like so started playing a few games with my US account as well. Had no problems finding and joining euro lobbies last night. Think the blue icon on lobbies also shows when friends are participating in regular Sport mode. 

So, just got this, not played any GT game since, I think, 2. 

First impressions is it's such a nice, polished package. I think I've had my £25 Black Friday value out of it already, just reading through the histories and checking out the showrooms. 

One questioning though - regarding driving in general, and cornering specifically. The game seems a bit out-of-kilter about it all. For a start, the "brake" indicator seems to be ridiculously badly calibrated (am switching between beginner and intermediate settings as I haven't played a driving game for years). If I hit the brake at the point the computer tells me to in an arcade race, I will slide to a halt and the CPU cars will all pass me and speed off into the distance. 

Also on one Driving School challenge - Challenge 10 in the beginner set, the description says "The corner in this lesson cannot be turned while flat out". But on my first attempt I happily cruised around the corner without letting up on the throttle. Wondered if I'd fluked it and tried it twice more, managing it every time. I got a bronze trophy which makes me wonder - how could it be possible to get a gold or silver trophy, by letting off on the throttle, if going flat-out only nets a bronze? 

VR - only tried a couple of races. I did enjoy it. Don't really get much chance to escape into VR with a baby to look after at the moment. Seemed good fun though - I hope they expand it with DLC so you can race online, and take part in races with more opponents. I also think it would be much more immersive with a wheel, which I don't have. Surprisingly I thought VR would be the big draw for this, to me - but I'm more interested in exploring the online leagues and all that stuff. 

3 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

how could it be possible to get a gold or silver trophy, by letting off on the throttle, if going flat-out only nets a bronze? 

if you have some driving aids on - they will slowing you down to keep the car stable etc. could be that?

also the breaking markers will only be a gideline - you need to start thinking about braking there - they won't be exact.

You might also have the controller problem some people have - make sure that depressing the trigger all the way actually takes you to full throttle by looking at the on screen indicator. Some DS4s are prone to being faulty in this regard.

There are various degrees of braking too, when it flashes brake its suggesting to start slowing down, not stop

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, Beezer said:

Bumping this. Roll up everyone. Should be great fun, especially if we have a full room.

and if you haven’t got the game, get down to Argos!

Thanks for this support Beezer.

Very sorry to say I completely forgot about this :ph34r: Got swamped with work over last week, didn't get around to checking the forums and getting back to this racing night suggestion.

I'm even doing extra work as I type this post, there's just no way I can get any time off to play the game at the mo :(

Again, sorry for bailing on this. Looking forward to other racing nights, hopefully soon in December and early 2018!

12 hours ago, McSpeed said:

Thanks for this support Beezer.

Very sorry to say I completely forgot about this :ph34r: Got swamped with work over last week, didn't get around to checking the forums and getting back to this racing night suggestion.

I'm even doing extra work as I type this post, there's just no way I can get any time off to play the game at the mo :(

Again, sorry for bailing on this. Looking forward to other racing nights, hopefully soon in December and early 2018!

Don't sweat it dude. Maybe ask Sinterklaas for a hulppiet or two to help you out with all the work though ;) 

@Anne Summers the beginner and intermediate settings have some very counterintuitive default settings for breaking and steering assists. Fiddle around in the menu a bit and do some test runs to find out which aids you want and which you don't. 

Downloaded a ton of WipEout decals last night. Let's see if any of the VGT cars is suitable to being transformed into an Anti Gravity Racer. 

• Upvote 1

Driving standards in this have dramatically dropped since the game came out. Being punted in every race at the moment. I will do the roll around at the back thing to get up to S and see what it's like there. If it's no different I think I'm going to shelve it till they sort out the penalty system. It's far too easy to punt cars off and get away with it.

1 hour ago, mexos said:

I will do the roll around at the back thing to get up to S and see what it's like there.

I've been really impressed with the driving in S. Yeah occasional incidents happen but they're usually accidents rather than people trying to hit you.

• Upvote 1

Patch 1.06 hopefully brings some improvements to rating.

4. In Sport mode races, the judgement algorithm of the Sportsmanship Rating (SR) has been improved. Furthermore, it is also now possible to see the deductions of SR points not only for yourself, but also for other drivers involved in a collision/incident with your car.

B has probably taken a dip recently due to the Black Friday prices and a bunch of new racers.

I'm in a real slump, haven't won a race or had a pole since I changed category. It seems like the matchmaking was a lot more in my favour in the former group. In those races I was typically 2-5 seconds off the top 10 times, but would be matched with all same DR/SR drivers (more or less). Usually I'd be placed in top 3 for the start.

In Gr.4 I have typically been qualifying 3-5 seconds off the top 10, so similar relative pace - but I am seeing a wide spread of DR from A to D in the races and I haven't been placed better than 9th for the starts. Finishing only 1 or 2 places off where I start. Those at the front are untouchable, those at the back can barely keep it on track. A huge disparity in this class.

I'd have expected the opposite, since the N- class races are apparently not very popular so there should be fewer players in the pool for selection. 

I'm really liking using the more attractive and powerful cars, especially with my own liveries available, but I'm wondering if I should go back to the one makes to get back to competitive form.

edit - I'm worried if the above patch is going to allow people to maniulate opponents SR. Someone will find a way.

I wouldn't get your hopes up about S-safety rating races improving online behaviour. In the two I've just done since getting to that level I've been punted off on multiple occasions in both. The lower level races were much cleaner for me. 

Silly question from a colleague.

why is it that although my PS4 system language is set to US English and upon startup the game asks which language I want to play the game in and I select system language specifically, it forces UK English on me presumably based on my geographical location [he lives in Ireland]?

Does anyone know?

Sodding wheel stopped working last night. Mid race. Just disconnected will not connect again. I don't even know if its powering up. A google suggests it may be corrupt firmware, which I have a fix for , but if its fucked I won't be happy. I've had it for a year and  a month.

1 hour ago, Strangelite said:

Also:

Mission 8-6 is fucking great.. I was actually googling pit strategies and actually, 100% nailing my car around the track. Still haven't done it yet, but I've been so close... I'm actually going for a 2 stop strategy which is mental...

It's been nerfed by 1.06. From all accounts the challenge is completely gone. I would be happy about that if I hadn't already beaten it.

14 hours ago, Marmite said:

I wouldn't get your hopes up about S-safety rating races improving online behaviour. In the two I've just done since getting to that level I've been punted off on multiple occasions in both. The lower level races were much cleaner for me. 

It's basically far too easy to get to S, most are probably A at a stretch in that they could drive clean if they wanted to but are quite happy to punt you off or run you wide knowing that worst case they can probably walk away with a neutral rating. Championship races over 10 laps are the worst.

16 hours ago, Marmite said:

On the contrary, in my experience after getting to S the level of racecraft compared to B is night and day. I was ready to throw in the towel...

I've rubbed paintwork with others :eyebrows: but it's been pretty fair overall. In B I was just getting used as a brake. Or cynically tapped into spins at the first op.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen but damn the difference was huge.