Gran Turismo Sport | Monday Night Racing Club: every week @ 8PM UK

Yes, let's do Le Mans!

Not sure which car class though. Would love to do one with classic race cars but those are just too bloody expensive.

Let's so Gr. 1's, free of choice :) (So LMP1's, Gr. C's and Vision GT's.) BoP will still be on of course.

Race C, was Gr1 round Interlagos ( including the Mickey Mouse Chicance) and again one car dominated. 
Good news was it was the Merc C9 which is so much fun to drive and an iconic car.

Monday Night Race Club tonight 8pm as usual

0CD4D81C-1AE6-4B2D-B17C-87CFA9A95896.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Junker said:

Race C, was Gr1 round Interlagos ( including the Mickey Mouse Chicance) and again one car dominated. 
Good news was it was the Merc C9 which is so much fun to drive and an iconic car.

Monday Night Race Club tonight 8pm as usual

0CD4D81C-1AE6-4B2D-B17C-87CFA9A95896.jpeg

(Fuji)

1 hour ago, fretnoise said:

Quite a decent showing there @Junker - Nicely done :)

Cheers. I was well chuffed. 304th in EMEA at Laguna. Did it on about my 3rd lap and last night after switching to the newer model Porsche. Struggled to get anywhere near it after that!  Then Race B got a top 600 time but I love that track and seem to go good in FF cars. 
 Can’t wait to get destroyed tonight round LeMans in Gr1. A nightmare combo for me

I wish I'd done the Laguna round now rather than Fuji. Like I said in the chat, I'll take that Fuji time given I managed 1 session of about an hour behind the wheel last week.

Still grotesquely ill, so I may just kick that can down the road for a couple more weeks. The new pedals are fantasitc, the brake mod gives my left leg a proper workout.

Had a great time last night in spite of a bit of technical adversity. 

Turned the TV on at about 1950 and just got a black screen apart from a NO VIDEO SOURCE box in the middle. 

Power cycled everything, unplugged and replugged the HDMI cable and kept getting the same thing. It's an old (spare) no-name 32" LCD from about 2011 that wasn't very dear to begin with, so it's probably just giving up. 

Wasn't time to move all my stuff to another room so I just picked up the PSVR headset and used it in 'virtual screen' mode. The trouble with doing that is twofold: 

1) you can't use your normal headset;

2) Major, major drift problems. By the end of a single lap of Interlagos my head was facing 45 degrees to the left! I've had a bit of PSVR drift before but honestly this was something else. 

I was able to get by, simply by recentring the view every time there was a straight (which briefly puts you into Auto-drive). It's not how I'd choose to play every time, but it worked in a pinch and meant I could still race. I didn't set the world on fire performance-wise but that's not the equipment's fault :)

15 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

2) Major, major drift problems. By the end of a single lap of Interlagos my head was facing 45 degrees to the left! I've had a bit of PSVR drift before but honestly this was something else. 

Crazy stuff Bunny ! 

My head was tilted 90 degrees to the left almost that entire Le Mans race, trying to locate braking points with all my trusty cones gone after the first lap. Took me quite a while to adjust, nearly causing a huge pile up on the second lap at that first chicane when i let off the throttle way before those behind me were expecting it. In the end I used the small opening in the barriers on the left hand side as a marker but still not sure if that was the best option. Even after an hour i still hadn't found a clear indicator for Arnage :lol:

Still, great fun. Fully expected to be lapped at some point in my first enduro outing but seemed to get into a flow after about 40 minutes or so. Consistently 6-10 seconds down on the fastest lap* but had an absolute blast and gained at least +2 in stamina when the race was over. Thanks to all involved. 

*last time i checked Junker had the fastest lap with 3.25.xxx but that was about half way through the race. 

Interlagos was great fun - A little bit annoyed with myself that I let Joe (who I thought was lapping much faster than me) past at T1, only to then be able to stick within a second or two for a few laps.  Should have fought a bit more, as you said, Joe :)

I had a mare at Le Mans.  My beloved braking marker cones got wiped out so, like @Sun Tze I had to find my own new braking markers.  I was mostly ok, but Mulsanne Corner proved to be my nemesis, and I had 2 quite lengthy trips into the kitty litter there.  You have to throw the anchors out so early in the old Mazda Nissan!  However, one of my offs wasn't entirely my fault (officer) as my oblivious child walked into the room, stood almost but not quite in front of the tv, and started talking at me about some iPhone game or other... Real race drivers don't get that kind of distraction, I'm sure - I felt a distinct "Kimi-shouting-at-his-engineer" moment coming on :)

Anyhoo... Race C (Gr3s at Brands Hatch GP) looks like the one for me this week.  @beenabadbunny don't forget to use the Hard tyres ;)  I had one go last night where I started on the hards, and got punted off twice by the time we'd got to Surtees, so pitted for mediums at the end of lap 1 to see what I could salvage. After exiting the pits last by about 6 seconds, I came home (with decidedly secondhand medium tyres) in 12th place which I was fairly happy with.  Even happier to hear the 2 punters say sorry in the lobby, which is a rarity.  I think it's fair to say the mediums won't last the entire race this time, at least not in the Hurracan...

GR3 brands sounds good to me. Maybe I’ll be able to use it as a chance to learn it properly instead of my usual turn up and sort of know my braking points but be 2 seconds a lap down next time we do it on Monday night. 

Last night was amazing. I strongly suspect the Toyota was the car of choice, but it was about 50km slower (no idea why I’m still in km!) than the Group C cars. Was great fun retaking positions on the next corner though and leading a good 20 minutes of the race I’d say. 

Messed up my last stint and put the medium on rather than the soft, but benefited from Bart’s misfortune as an 8 second gap at the end of the mulsanne straight became 3 seconds by the run to the last 2 chicanes, and then he disappeared and ghost appeared right in front of me in the middle of the last chicane braking zone!

Daily races... I laughed when I saw the oval, but then thought it might be interesting to do a draft race. I tried it 3 times. First one, I got a 2 second penalty for someone ramming me. Finished first, but classified 6th.

Second race again sometime ramming into me, this time pushed me into another car, 4 seconds and before the penalty line so finished last, ratings shot.

3rd try, clean all the way, car in the lead was pushing others a lot, they had a 1 second penalty, I lifted and sat behind them round the whole last corner, 2nd on the road, but a win due to their penalty!

Just need to get up the courage to do more to get back to an S rank safety rating.

Race C... really don’t know why I can’t drive Brands consistently!

Race C is probably the one. Not sure how many laps med tyres  last for but I guess work that out, and do what’s left on hard ( either before or after). Problems is it’s a tricky course to overtake on in gr3 so might be a bit of a doozy. 
 Autopolis in the Gr4 Ferrari is an interesting idea but again it’s hard to overtake on. Have to rely on other people’s mistakes at t1 or the hairpins I reckon.

The race in GT40s round Special Route X is like what they did in an FIA Nations round a few weeks ago but it seems penalties are on for bump draughting if YOU get bumped so it sounds a bit scary to me and my precious A ranking :wacko:

5 minutes ago, Junker said:

Race C is probably the one. Not sure how many laps med tyres  last for but I guess work that out, and do what’s left on hard ( either before or after). Problems is it’s a tricky course to overtake on in gr3 so might be a bit of a doozy. 
 Autopolis in the Gr4 Ferrari is an interesting idea but again it’s hard to overtake on. Have to rely on other people’s mistakes at t1 or the hairpins I reckon.

The race in GT40s round Special Route X is like what they did in an FIA Nations round a few weeks ago but it seems penalties are on for bump draughting if YOU get bumped so it sounds a bit scary to me and my precious A ranking :wacko:

Wait, can you qualify at Brands on the medium... :ph34r:

12 hours ago, Junker said:

The famously light-on-its-feet 911 would be able to do the whole race on one set of mediums were it not for the requirement to use hards. For me it seemed the tyre wear was offset by the decreasing fuel load, so I could do 12 pretty consistent laps before diving in to change to hards for the last lap.

I saw someone do similar (and win) using the Lancer, too.

It seems pretty well balanced though, so if you change to hards earlier you can attack the last few laps a bit more, and my overall race time was similar if I pitted on lap 8 or so.

The SR boost for a clean race is quite high too. One clean race in Race C was enough to repair the damage done in one average Race A (no penalties, but plenty of SR dings as people bump drafted). 18 points lost in Race A, at least 18 points gained in Race C

Just to add... it's a shame the SR penalties are so absurd in Race A this week.  It means the only people playing it are people who don't care about their SR, so the behaviour's only going to get worse over the week.  It'd be an interesting race otherwise - it's a bit like those indoor cycling sprint races where it's 5 minutes of positioning followed by 10 seconds of pure panic-inducing sprinting.  It'd be fun if it didn't seem to guarantee all your other races are going to be with SR-hating idiots.

What we thinking is the best strat for Brands Hatch daily race this week? currently doing 8 to 9 laps on the hard then on to the mediums to finish off with the Porsche. Currently doing 1:25 As my fastest lap, where you guys getting your time? Feel like I am going pretty clean but obviously Seconds behind, is there a break balance I should know about. Blaming it on not having a wheel :) 

55 minutes ago, MrEPotato said:

What we thinking is the best strat for Brands Hatch daily race this week? currently doing 8 to 9 laps on the hard then on to the mediums to finish off with the Porsche. Currently doing 1:25 As my fastest lap, where you guys getting your time? Feel like I am going pretty clean but obviously Seconds behind, is there a break balance I should know about. Blaming it on not having a wheel :)

Optimum is a 1-stop, mediums should last 5-8 laps, hards are around 1 second a lap slower.

@MrEPotato

I find most of my time from Surtees round to Sheene Curve.  Take Surtees (the left before the long back straight, where the GP circuit leaves the Indy circuit) wide, with a late apex, to set you up for the long straight;  I use the 'beep' of the sector time as a guide to when to start accelerating, as it feels really late, but if you go earlier you usually end up losing time by the end of the straight.  Then make sure you cut as much of the 2nd and 3rd right handers (Westfield and Sheene Curve) as you can - you can pretty much put your whole car over the curbs at both of these without getting a penalty.  If you've got the corner cones on, as long as you don't knock the cone over at the apex you're fine.

Oh and definitely get a wheel :)

I've qualified with a 1:23.9, but getting high  1:25s and low to mid 1:26s in the race, and had a couple of 2nds and 3rds - no wins yet.  There's usually some guy at the front pulling away from everyone else by a second a lap so they have pretty much a pitstop in hand when they finally ditch their mediums at the last lap.

2 hours ago, fretnoise said:

@MrEPotato

I find most of my time from Surtees round to Sheene Curve.  Take Surtees (the left before the long back straight, where the GP circuit leaves the Indy circuit) wide, with a late apex, to set you up for the long straight;  I use the 'beep' of the sector time as a guide to when to start accelerating, as it feels really late, but if you go earlier you usually end up losing time by the end of the straight.  Then make sure you cut as much of the 2nd and 3rd right handers (Westfield and Sheene Curve) as you can - you can pretty much put your whole car over the curbs at both of these without getting a penalty.  If you've got the corner cones on, as long as you don't knock the cone over at the apex you're fine.

Oh and definitely get a wheel :)

I've qualified with a 1:23.9, but getting high  1:25s and low to mid 1:26s in the race, and had a couple of 2nds and 3rds - no wins yet.  There's usually some guy at the front pulling away from everyone else by a second a lap so they have pretty much a pitstop in hand when they finally ditch their mediums at the last lap.

Thank you, much appreciated that back section has definitely been a problem area for me, I’ll have a look at it.

the wheel is happening, I’m Just trying to kid my myself that I won’t buy one at the moment. 

I give myself two weeks 

So yesterday I’m sat having a go at the daily qualifiers. Typically I’m a mile off at first. And I am.

Not sure what triggered it but it dawned on me that while I’d spent a load of time and effort to get my pedal position into something that worked for me I hadn’t changed my wheel position since I got the playseat challenge. Cue hunting for screwdrivers and Allen keys.  Changing this is a massive faff but I get it done.

Anyway I have a go. The new position feels a bit weird but I persevere. And then it clicks. And the lap time comes. I’m doing late 25’s around Brands. I’m now in the 24’s with ease and knocking on the door of the 23’s. What the hell. 

My previous wheel position had my arms so constrained I struggled to get full lock or catch a slide. I can’t describe it but I can actually feel far more of the ffb now. The cars feel so much more alive. No I haven’t dropped some acid. I just popped in a 22.7. A good three seconds faster than what I’d been hitting beforehand. Nice! Also got some golds on the Lewis Hamilton DLC I’d been miles off. 

TLDR. I fixed my driving positions and got a load faster. Roll on Monday! 

So... if you’re far enough back on the grid at Brands, you get control of the car before the pit entrance, and if you’re on the ball you can dive in for your stop and have mediums for the entire race...

Except they’ve thought of that, and you just auto-drive all the way through without stopping and effectively give yourself a drive-through penalty. I’ve rarely felt so smug and then so stupid in such quick succession... :D 

9 hours ago, mexos said:

TLDR. I fixed my driving positions and got a load faster. Roll on Monday! 

I upvoted, because this is obviously a very good thing... it does feel a little bit like a turkey upvoting Christmas...

Out of interest, how tall are you?  I'm 6'1" and the playseat challenge is just about big enough for me, but I do think I'm a little too close to the wheel.  It's adjusted as far away as I can make it though, and if I recline the seat any more it feels like I'm falling over backwards...

37 minutes ago, fretnoise said:

I upvoted, because this is obviously a very good thing... it does feel a little bit like a turkey upvoting Christmas...

Out of interest, how tall are you?  I'm 6'1" and the playseat challenge is just about big enough for me, but I do think I'm a little too close to the wheel.  It's adjusted as far away as I can make it though, and if I recline the seat any more it feels like I'm falling over backwards...

I'm pretty much the same. My recline is pushing it to the max. It's at the point where any further and the velcro just can't support me anymore and the thing flatpacks itself, dumping me on the floor with a bang. Ouchy. It's a LOT more reclined that most photos I see of people using the challenge. Need to lose a few KG and maybe I can recline some more! 

I'm also 6'1" and use a challenge.  I don't think i'm quite as reclined as max though, I actually brought it back from being really relaxed.

I've done the seat collapse into shins thing do not ever adjust the seat when you're sitting in it :sherlock:

My wheel rim sits just in front of the start of the playseat fabric, if that makes sense.

I googled and advice seemed to be to get elbows close to 90 degrees, but it felt way to close to me!