Gran Turismo Sport | Monday Night Racing Club: every week @ 8PM UK

16 minutes ago, Ry said:

I have not played in over a week. Need to get more practice in. 

What's the plan for Monday? Need to know in advance in case we are racing million pound cars and need to grind for cash.

Gr. 4 class (pick your favourite car) endurance race around Laguna Seca :)

And we'll do a 'special' support series race on the same track in the Mazda Roadster Touring Car to warm things up.

2 hours ago, McSpeed said:

Gr. 4 class (pick your favourite car) endurance race around Laguna Seca :)

:D I'd got it in my head we were doing Gr.3s at Blue Moon Infield....  so I'm sorted for that track / car combo!

What are the decent choices for Gr.4s at Laguna Seca then, assuming I don't want to drive the RCZ for an hour?

19 hours ago, fretnoise said:

:D I'd got it in my head we were doing Gr.3s at Blue Moon Infield....  so I'm sorted for that track / car combo!

What are the decent choices for Gr.4s at Laguna Seca then, assuming I don't want to drive the RCZ for an hour?

I reckon Alfa, Megane  Trophy, GT86, Huracan, Subaru, maybe even Ferrari or Cayman

2 hours ago, Junker said:

I reckon Alfa, Megane  Trophy, GT86, Huracan, Subaru, maybe even Ferrari or Cayman

I did some laps last night. I was quickest in the RCZ, but pretty close in the Caymen, Megane and the Viper. Couldn’t get the Hurracan to work properly - but it’s probably just me. Leaning towards the Viper at the moment. Isn’t the RCZ going to eat front tyres?

Then I went racing in Race A and trashed my SR in 2 races... Grr. Got a penalty for being rear ended going in to T1 whilst matching speed to the guy in front, and another 4s for having another guy reset inside me (ooer).

20 minutes ago, fretnoise said:

I did some laps last night. I was quickest in the RCZ, but pretty close in the Caymen, Megane and the Viper. Couldn’t get the Hurracan to work properly - but it’s probably just me. Leaning towards the Viper at the moment. Isn’t the RCZ going to eat front tyres?

Then I went racing in Race A and trashed my SR in 2 races... Grr. Got a penalty for being rear ended going in to T1 whilst matching speed to the guy in front, and another 4s for having another guy reset inside me (ooer).

I think you’re right, @McSpeed usually picks a cunning Tyre wear / fuel combo. If it’s a fuel race and you have to pit for fuel anyway the RCZ or Audi or the other FF cars might work despite the tyre wear. if it’s a tyre race other cars might not have the ultimate lap time but a better race pace. 

42 minutes ago, fretnoise said:

I had the same thing last night. Someone reset inside me and the instant he phased back into solidity on my back bumper, I got cannoned into the car in front. That car went off into the gravel and I got 4 seconds, taking me from third down to eighth or something. Big dent to both my DR and SR (not that I’m that bothered about either but it IS annoying).

I’m starting to think that the ghosting is worse than if the cars were just 100% solid all the time. At least then you know. 

3 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

not that I’m that bothered about either but it IS annoying

I don’t care much about DR - I see it as a measure of how well I know a track or how obsessed I was with the game in any given week, so it’s interesting but not the be-all and end-all.

I find SR much more important. If you can maintain a 99 rating you do seem to get much better races, as you’re matched with more people who also want to maintain their rating - fewer T1 incidents, and some actual racing.  Once you dip into A or B it’s a real slog to climb back out - even if you drop to the back of the field you can still get caught up in other people’s incidents (of which there are many at Monza) and/or fall foul to the unghosting thing.

I spent a while last night doing the Laguna Seca circuit challenges in prep for tonight. Different car (Gr.3 Viper) but hopefully the lessons learned should be useful.

Got gold in all the individual sectors but could only manage a silver in the full-course hot lap challenge. Only two tenths off the gold but I had already spent longer trying than I intended. Decided to leave it and spend the rest of the evening with my GF!

That circuit is remorseless isn't it? I hope we all like picking gravel out of our front splitters...

I woke up convinced that when PS5 comes out it will be backwards compatible but not cross generational play for GT Sport. Spent a while googling it and am a bit happier as it seems PS4 and PS5 will be able to play together. Made me think about it as @Ry started racing with us recently but then announced he’s flogging his PS4 in readiness for PS5.

I’m getting PS5 I think ( depending on this week’s reveal event not being entirely stupid). I doubt everyone who plays regularly on here and the in the MNRC will though? What are you guys doing? Is this the beginning of the end for the MNRC? 

I'll be getting a PS5, although possibly not at launch. Basically when GT7 or Horizon Zero Dawn 2 comes out, whichever is first.

If they're simultaneous then I won't get to play any GT7 for a while :lol:

I can't really say what I'll be doing longer-term as regards Monday night racing anyway. If the youth centre where I teach music reopens as before, then I'll cease to be available on Monday evenings again.

46 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

The group has switched formats before hasn't it? Didn't you all use to race online in Forza for the 360?

Didn’t we start this on a Tuesday? I remember the F1 league switching between mon and tues at least once so more of us could keep playing. As long as it keeps going I don’t care what night it is. 

Me too - most nights are ok for me as I'm dangerously close to middle age, married and with 3 kids and a dog, so rarely have evening plans beyond "eat something and get the kids to bed".  An 8pm start is about perfect for me as it's late enough for the smallest child to be in bed, and early enough to get a decent amount of racing in.

However, just so we're all aware... if we change the day it will mean throwing away my early designs for an MNRC logo... :D

4 hours ago, Junker said:

must have really nailed the chicane of death

It was a weird lap and I only managed it once.  I nailed the sweeping section before the hairpin, and then the hairpin itself, and was somehow a second up on my previous best coming out of the hairpin.  You then have that immense straight to think about how to take the chicane, with thoughts like "I'm a second up, if I take it easy and don't screw up the chicane I'll still be about half a second up - that's pretty good.."  and "nah, chuck it into the chicane and see what happens!" and so on.  I went quite but not fully aggressive into the chicane and came out about 7 tenths up, and kept that through to the end of the lap.  So by rights I could have gone another 3 tenths faster, but I was always way behind my ghost coming out of the hairpin from that lap onwards.

I didn't try racing there - it's usually an SR killer with all the barriers, and I was having enough problems with that on Race A...

2 hours ago, Junker said:

I woke up convinced that when PS5 comes out it will be backwards compatible but not cross generational play for GT Sport. Spent a while googling it and am a bit happier as it seems PS4 and PS5 will be able to play together. Made me think about it as @Ry started racing with us recently but then announced he’s flogging his PS4 in readiness for PS5.

I’m getting PS5 I think ( depending on this week’s reveal event not being entirely stupid). I doubt everyone who plays regularly on here and the in the MNRC will though? What are you guys doing? Is this the beginning of the end for the MNRC? 

First off, it very much seems like nearly all PS4 games will be backwards compatible on PS5. The question remains whether that also means generation cross-play but I think that's highly likely. 

So I'm rather confident we can continue our GT Sport MNRC with people on both PS4 and PS5 come November :)

Secondly, we'll have to see when GT7 arrives. There's a good chance there's a push for it to be a launch title going on, but there's an equally good chance Yamauchi will not meet that deadline.

We'll have to see what that means for online gameplay but as long as most people are on GT Sport we'll obviously stick to that for our group.

Finally, I don't sell any of my consoles. I respect @Ry's decision of course but hope all/most others will hold on to their PS4's too! Especially since we're cooking up something VERY special for the upcoming weeks :D

1 hour ago, fretnoise said:

However, just so we're all aware... if we change the day it will mean throwing away my early designs for an MNRC logo... :D

Please do come forward with that logo design! Very curious so see it.

Maybe I should schedule my return for the PS5? I've been cutting the grass and gardening for an elderly neighbour for the odd few hours every week since lockdown started, I've given up arguing with her about what she pays me as I'm not really doing it for the cash. However, that fund is looking quite healthy at the moment, it's either PS5 bound or I'll sink it into a trials bike....

18 minutes ago, marsh said:

Maybe I should schedule my return for the PS5? I've been cutting the grass and gardening for an elderly neighbour for the odd few hours every week since lockdown started, I've given up arguing with her about what she pays me as I'm not really doing it for the cash. However, that fund is looking quite healthy at the moment, it's either PS5 bound or I'll sink it into a trials bike....

NO! We need you back in the races ASAP. On the WHEEL.

:quote:

18 minutes ago, Ry said:

I will be back. Just playing it on PS5 :)

I'm hoping for some GT7 date on Wednesday. Doubt it though. 

It will be an interesting one. Little birdies have told me Sony PlayStation is very keen to have GT7 as a launch title, given the Xbox Series X/S is so weak on launch software AND Forza will not be there for some time.

34 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

Finally, I don't sell any of my consoles. I respect @Ry's decision of course but hope all/most others will hold on to their PS4's too! Especially since we're cooking up something VERY special for the upcoming weeks :D

Please do come forward with that logo design! Very curious so see it.

It's a constant bone of contention in my house, but my old consoles continue to gather dust in the loft.  The revelation from @mexos a few posts ago that the PS4 supports the Sky Go app means I'll definitely be holding onto it for F1 purposes (thanks @mexos :))

The logo is scribbles in a notebook so far... to be fair the only thing that changes if we change nights is one of the letters, so I was maybe being a bit over dramatic earlier...